In college Brett Favre had a lower completion percentage than guess who?

Philc1

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Really?  I thought it also involved the qb throwing to receivers but I guess I’m wrong

Back in those days the league leader in CMP % was 60.1% for Tarkenton. With the leader in rating being in the mid 80's. Now we got guys touching over 70%.

If you think QB play was the same in 1970 as it is today, you're delusional.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, SenorGato said:

Legit one of the worst posters this board has ever had and prooooobably not a real person.

OK I’ll admit it im the same bot who told you two years ago we’d be better off keeping Snacks over Mo.  Putin sent me

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Joe Namath -- the best QB in Jets history -- barely completed 50% of his career passes.  The rules have changed and the game has changed.  If you don't want to acknowledge that you are just trolling.

The rules changed in the nfl not in college

5 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Back in those days the league leader in CMP % was 60.1% for Tarkenton. With the leader in rating being in the mid 80's. Now we got guys touching over 70%.

If you think QB play was the same in 1970 as it is today, you're delusional.

In the nfl.  College rules have traditionally favored passing more with stuff like one foot in bounds

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Any insight on Sonny Jurgensen?  That's pretty relevant too because he played QB.

Bart Starr: 54.4%

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1952 Alabama SEC   QB 11 17 29 58.6 170 5.9 1.2 0 3 87.2
1953 Alabama SEC   QB 11 59 119 49.6 870 7.3 6.4 8 6 123.1
1954 Alabama SEC   QB 11 24 41 58.5 276 6.7 5.0 1 2 113.4
1955 Alabama SEC   QB 10 55 96 57.3 587 6.1 2.1 1 9 93.3
Career Alabama         155 285 54.4 1903 6.7 4.2 10 20 108.0

Joe Namath: 54.3%

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1962 Alabama SEC   QB 10 76 146 52.1 1192 8.2 7.5 13 8 139.1
1963 Alabama SEC   QB 10 63 128 49.2 765 6.0 4.6 7 7 106.5
1964 Alabama SEC   QB 10 64 100 64.0 756 7.6 6.1 4 5 130.7
Career Alabama         203 374 54.3 2713 7.3 6.1 24 20 125.7

Just now, Jetscreen said:

So you're suggesting the Jets would be in the safe area to select the guy with the LOWEST completion percentage of the top 4? OK got it.......

Geno Smith 71% — same conference and similar offense to Baker Mayfield 

But I guess Geno lacked Baker’s intangibles like grabbing his you know what at the 50 yard line

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Answer rhymes with Mosh Ballen

38 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

but but....

The fact that He's the exception to the rule, validates the rule. 

The fact that we have to go all the way back to 1991, and with Brett Favre being a 2nd round pick and not a top 3 pick also says something. 

The fact that it will be pretty damn tough to find a player of Brett Favres pro Caliber again with those stats as Favre in College again..validates the rule. 

Though I understand, If Brett Favre did it, then it means it can be done right? 

But, but....If that's the case then we already have the one in Christian Hackberg. He averaged 56% in College. Why dont we just throw him on the field and not waste a pick on a 2nd Brett Favre when we already have one? 

You know what this sounds like? The answer rhymes with "meticulous". 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The fact that He's the exception to the rule, validates the rule. 

The fact that we have to go all the way back to 1991, and with Brett Favre being a 2nd round pick and not a top 3 pick also says something. 

The fact that it will be pretty damn tough to find a player of Brett Favres pro Caliber again with those stats as Favre in College again..validates the rule. 

Though I understand, If Brett Favre did it, then it means it can be done right? 

But, but....If that's the case then we already have the one in Christian Hackberg. He averaged 56% in College. Why dont we just throw him on the field and not waste a pick on a 2nd Brett Favre when we already have one? 

You know what this sounds like? The answer rhymes with "meticulous". 

Matt Stafford has a 57% career completion percentage in college. go again.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Is this true?

yes,  stats came from sports-reference.com

Nobody gave two sh!ts about completion percent until the last 2 decades.  It's a little on the overblown side, because it all depends on what kind of passer you are.  A dink and dunk Pennington type better damned well have a very high completion percent, otherwise he is doomed.  But a deep ball passer like Farve, Elway or even like Testaverde can be highly successful with much lower completion percentage because of the long plays and downfield production leads to more wins thann does mere completion percentage.  The most telling of all is Geno Smith who had a 68% completion percentage.  Well duh.  All of his passes were 3 yards and Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, who had a zillion yards after the catch.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Guess what other 2 qbs Who we’re great in college but were dismissed by idiots because they few inches shorter. Drew brees, russel Wilson. 

But we can’t compare Allen to the dozens of qbs who had sub 60% completion in college who played well in the nfl but ofcourse logic dictates Mayfield = the two short qbs who actually were good in the nfl

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

yes,  stats came from sports-reference.com

Nobody gave two sh!ts about completion percent until the last 2 decades.  It's a little on the overblown side, because it all depends on what kind of passer you are.  A dink and dunk Pennington type better damned well have a very high completion percent, otherwise he is doomed.  But a deep ball passer like Farve, Elway or even like Testaverde can be highly successful with much lower completion percentage because of the long plays and downfield production leads to more wins thann does mere completion percentage.  The most telling of all is Geno Smith who had a 68% completion percentage.  Well duh.  All of his passes were 3 yards and Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, who had a zillion yards after the catch.

oh wow

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

So you're suggesting the Jets would be in the safe area to select the guy with the LOWEST completion percentage of the top 4? OK got it.......

Don't be an idiot.  The point, which should be obvius to anyone who can think, is that completion percentage isn't the end-all.  It's one of MANY metrics to consider.  People on this board make it the only stat that matters to them, which is flat out moronic. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

Guys here already know Allen will suck in the nfl based off his completion %

You could have just said, "Actually, I really don't understand how numbers work."  It would have been more accurate than pretending anyone is claiming to "know."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

Matt Stafford has a 57% career completion percentage in college. go again.

And yet that doesnt look like 56% or lower. The thread clearly says:

"In college Brett Favre had a lower completion percentage than guess who?". 

Please, find me a person who also had numbers like favre and became a HOF'er. 

Now im not saying that it's impossible. But over the dozens of Franchise to starter level QB's over the past 30 years you guys found 1 person....and he happens to be an exception to the rule. 

I'll wait. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

Guys here already know Allen will suck in the nfl based off his completion %

I don't know that, what I do know is that a poor college completion %, particularly when there is no improvement YOY, generally means they won't be able to complete passes in the NFL either.

• Upvote 1

In college Brett Favre had a lower completion percentage than guess who?

QUOTE: David Lewin, ESPN: My research of highly drafted quarterbacks since 1996 found that two college statistics adequately predict future NFL performance: games started and completion percentage.

So, Favre goes on to be one of the GOAT, but because he was an anomaly, we should gamble the 3rd overall pick, when we might have a shot at either Josh Rosen or Baker Mayfield, just because?

This is the same logic as drafting a 6th round QB every year and starting them because, you know, that anomaly named Tom Brady just happened to be the GOAT, so why not keep drafting QB's in the 6th until we find the NEXT GOAT in that round, right?

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

You could have just said, "Actually, I really don't understand how numbers work."  It would have been more accurate than pretending anyone is claiming to "know."

I really triggered the Baker Manziel ball washers 

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

In your mind, and this is a real question, do numbers work this way?

EY, the point of all this is to demonstrate that completion percentage is one of many metrics.  People here consider it to be paramount and above all else, sometimes to the point that nothing else matters to them.  So go ahead and ridicule Phil all you want (I know, it's like shooting fish in a barrel), but the point he and I are making is valid.  And I don't even want Allen.  He's #4 on my preference list. 

So there you go.  For a non-supporter of Josh Allen like myself to feel compelled to defend him from you completion percentage junkies on this message board is pathetic.  It's an important stat, but it doesn't trump everything else.  (Are we permitted to use the word "trump"?  Don't want to violate board politics rules)

Now lets go get Rosen. Or Mayfield.