Report: Jets Offering Most Money for Ndamukong Suh

Grandy

This might be the first signing that makes me scratch my head.

I get it from a talent point of view, and money is no object at the moment (100 million plus next year and nary anybody to spend that on) but from a culture perspective... won't Suh be a problem?

I know he's got a rep on the field, does anybody have a more detailed knowledge of how he is among teammates?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I'm fine with signing Suh but the contract needs to be with the ability for us to get out after 1 season because no way Bowles is able to control this guy past 1 season

How exactly do you control a grown man making way more money than you and who doesn't want to be told what to do . 

Answer, you make them someone else's problem  like the Jets did with Wilkerson and Richardson .  On their best day, those 2 jokers together doesn't offer what Suh does and the guy shows up on Sunday every week .

• Suh obviously has a high PFF rating, but it seems like the only guy in the  NFL who could block him was Winters, and the only guy Winters could block was Suh.
  • It would appear that the Jets are trying to be decent in 2018.  Hopefully they are also building for the future.  I am not as much of a fan of the Mac 1 Year Contract Specials, because he does not find a way to extend them before the end of the year if they look like they are working out.  
  • Mac likes DL.  He has found decent ones even in the junk pile.  Can't really figure out the LBs.  

55 minutes ago, morny said:

Did Suh not say the other day that he "didn't care what team it was, or what the fit was, he was going where he would get the most money". 

So either if he is definitely signing or using us as a ploy to get more from elsewhere.

I’m ok with this. 

Suh plays football the way it was meant to be played . You don't help your opponent up and if you can get away with it, you kick them when they're down . You want sportsmanship, I will shake your hand when the game is over. During the game, you're the enemy, and will be treated as such .

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

A guy gets arrested for beating a paraplegic, and THIS guy's the scumbag?

I'm sorry...i missed the memo that there can only be one scumbag in the NFL. My bad....not sure who you are referring to...if it's Bennett...yes, he is a scumbag too. Not sure what the point is.

Just now, Tinstar said:

Suh plays football the way it was meant to be played . You don't help your opponent up and if you can get away with it, you kick them when they're down . You want sportsmanship, I will shake your hand when the game is over. During the game, you're the enemy, and will be treated as such .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jZQZ1GY7Q

This offseason is almost as hilarious as that bit. 

Living in S Florida I get to see the Fish almost every week.  Seems to me his impact has been going south since he got to the Fish.  

I wouldn't pay him for the level of play he had 4 years ago, he just doesn't seem to be the same guy.

Jets have interest in Ndamukong Suh, but it doesn't make sense

Ndamukong Suh's sack totals have decreased the past three seasons (from 6.0 to 5.0 to 4.5). Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire

4:24 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

Yes, it's true, the New York Jets are genuinely interested in Ndamukong Suh, as reported by Yahoo Sports. They've made an offer -- his best offer, the web site reported. He's also drawing interest from the Los Angeles Rams, Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints, so don't buy your Suh jerseys just yet.

The Jets have a hole on the defensive line -- they haven't replaced defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson in their 3-4 front -- but this Suh fascination is surprising on a number of levels.

For one, he's 31, which doesn't fit their youth movement. Wisely, general manager Mike Maccagnan has made a concerted effort to sign free agents in their prime -- 25 to 28 years old. Suh, cut recently by the Miami Dolphins, is a win-now player. In that sense, he'd be a bad fit. Come to think it, he's never won anything.

Secondly, Suh was known in Miami as a "me" guy, not a team player, which runs counter to coach Todd Bowles' effort to rebuild the chemistry in the locker room. It didn't show up in the standings last season, but the Jets actually had good chemistry, a locker room filled with young, hungry players. Suh would stick out like a sore superstar. Make no mistake, money wasn't the only reason he got a pink slip from the Dolphins.

Some players are so good that you're willing to put up with the baggage, but Suh doesn't fall into that category. Oh, he's still the kind of player who can draw double-teams, but his sack totals have decreased the past three seasons (from six to five to 4.5) and Miami finished 14th in run defense last season.

Bowles is intrigued by the idea of adding Suh to his defensive front, I'm told. Whenever the Jets face the Dolphins, he always gushes about him.

"You can't really stop him," Bowles said last October. "You try to slow him down here or there and make a play and not really let him affect the ballgame, but he affects the ballgame every time he goes out there to play. We just have to fight."

This comment is surprising because Suh was invisible in some games against the Jets. In six meetings, he managed only 1.5 sacks and never more than four tackles in a game. The Jets kicked his butt in 2015 in London, where Chris Ivoryran for 166 yards. Except for sandwiching Bryce Petty in 2016, with help from Cameron Wake, Suh never made any notable plays against the Jets.

Chances are, he won't sign with the Jets unless their offer is significantly better than the others. They should save their money and spend it elsewhere.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Wilkerson is not a DT. He's a DE

2. I'd say we got great value out of Richardson

You think Richardson is more DT than Wilkerson?  They are probably both 4-3 DTs and 3-4 DEs. 

Well if we don't have another OLB, we may have to go 3-4

1. I mentioned that before. If we dont get another OLB we may have to employ a 4-3

2. And we got good value for him. 

You said 3-4.  I was wondering what you meant.  People have been saying this for years. They had no OLBs in 2015 or 2016 and they still mostly played a base 3-4

51 minutes ago, Jethead said:

LOL "arm talent" is maybe the stupidest phrase ever. 

Leader of men?

34 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

On a 2 or 3 year deal, I would like it.  I think he would be a good addition and would fit well with the personalities we have on defense.

Hasn't the guy been making $18M per?  It had better not be that much. 

21 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Suh is a prick on the field. Not really a scumbag

Idk...i think he qualifies as both. IMO anyway. Just think we have a decent amount of good character guys in the locker room. Hate to see a me first guy like that mess it up....i  would find it hard to root for the guy. Unless he stomps on Brady...maybe then I can come around... a little.

Suh.jpg

In a story that has been developing over the past few hours, it appears the Jets have made a significant contract offer to free agent defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh.

Jordan Schultz of Yahoo! Sports has quoted Suh as saying that along with the Titans, Rams and Saints, the Jets have “emerged as a serious contender”.

While Suh’s reputation as one of the league’s dirtiest players is likely to give some fans pause, the thought of adding him to the defensive line to pair with Leonard Williams is enticing at the very least.

According to pro football focus (PFF.com), Suh was the fifth-ranked interior defensive lineman in the NFL with an overall grade of 91.0 in 2017.  Despite a modest stat line of 29 solo tackles and 4 1/2 sacks, Suh still commanded double-teams and was a disruptive player in the middle of Miami’s defense.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
da3aAJhAhco

Click here to read the full story...

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Keep in mind that Suh played against Westly Johnson twice last season, and had no impact.

Hard pass.   Wish they would stop letting Bowles give input on prospective players

Holy crap I forgot about that. Yeah... this has some high flop potential.

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He didn’t take plays off in Miami . 

No, he took whole games off.  Like both of the Jets games, against an awful C.  Plus he's a locker room pain in the ass.  That's why we are even having this discussion.  I can't imagine why the Jets are even considering him.  But, Todd loves him I guess

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The one thing that this defence is dearly lacking is the ability to get to the quarterback and provide constant pressure. Suh would solve that problem. although I’d prefer an edge rusher, the guy still has plenty in the tank. In the end, he’d be replacing Wilk, and that’s ok by me.

question, where’d this rumour come from? None of the big sites have ever mentioned that the Jets were courting him.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/23/jets-emerge-as-serious-contenders-for-ndamukong-suh/

Archived