Report: Jets Offering Most Money for Ndamukong Suh

Grandy

Jets Rescind Offer To DT Ndamukong Suh

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.

The Jets have rescinded their offer to free agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, owner Christopher Johnson told reporters, including Ralph Vacchiano of SNY (Twitter link).

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

I wonder what happened?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets Rescind Offer To DT Ndamukong Suh

The Jets have rescinded their offer to free agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, owner Christopher Johnson told reporters, including Ralph Vacchiano of SNY (Twitter link). New York was believed to have had the largest offer out to Suh.Ndamukong-Suh-featuredv-251x300.jpg

Gang Green was a late entrant into the Suh sweepstakes, as the veteran defender was though to have narrowed his potential destinations to the Rams, Saints, and Titans. The Jets have the most cap space of any of the teams involved in the bidding, but Johnson said adding Suh “wasn’t in keeping with [the Jets’] long-term plans,” tweets Vacchiano.

Suh is now 31 years old, but he’s still a dominant player: he managed 20.5 pressures and and 4.5 sacks from his defensive tackle position while grading as the NFL’s No. 5 interior defender in 2017, per Pro Football Focus. He’s also incredibly durable, as he hasn’t missed a single contest since 2012. Last season, Suh played a whopping 883 snaps, the second-most of any defensive tackle in the league.

While the Jets were reportedly willing to offer Suh the most money, he was never certain to simply follow the dollars. The Rams, Saints, and Titans each made the postseason in 2017, while New York is still embarking on a rebuild, so Suh may forgo the largest contract offered in order to sign with a contender.

If he had signed with the Jets, Suh would have likely lined up as a 3-4 defensive end opposite Leonard Williams. If New York is still searching for more affordable options along its line, the club could hypothetically look at other free agents such as Alan Branch, Karl Klug, or Quinton Dial.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Kinda loving the idea that Bowles personally called Suh to recruit him, Maccagnan offered him a sh*tload of cash, and ultimately the weenie owner-boy scuttled it for reasons nobody knows. 

Rex will be Woody's Billy Martin. 

28 minutes ago, rammagen said:

actually the practical solution s to adjust the cap so the pay is  the same. Call it an adjustment for taxation, say in Florida you do not pay income tax for those 8 games so you would adjust the salary to make the difference in the tax. the play makes the same the pay level is the same and the home state makes a little more

It's not quite that easy since the games played in other cities changes each year so there's no fixed number that would adjust it properly.  But the current gap is pretty severe and it has to have a significant impact on player/agent decision-making so anything that could help would be worth pursuing.  After all, look at how many championships Florida teams have won because of their advantage....

oh wait... :) 

My assumption is Johnson felt they were being used. They offered him the most money and he still hadn't accepted. The offer is now rescinded. Maybe Johnson is saying they rescinded because he didnt fit the long term plan, rather than admit the Jets were being used and he wanted to stop it.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)

3/25/18, 5:41 PM

My understanding is the Jets’ offer to Ndamukong Suh came with a deadline. Deadline was late last week, leading to the offer basically expiring.

So what you have going on here is the team’s version of events (rescinded!) and the agent’s version (we passed!)

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Of course you are right. My only point was (which may have been mangled) was it is complicated and it is not a straight up pay state income tax where you team resides method.

I was trying to add to your point.  You were on point.....  I thought it was something the guys might enjoy learn8ng about.  You were not wrong. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I knew (or thought I did) that players paid income tax based on where each game was played, but I didn't know that some states went after taxes on games played in no-income-tax states.  That's cold!

It does create an imbalance in terms of team attractiveness but I'm sure there's no practical solution (other than getting about 20+ states to all agree to some form of pool sharing.  Yep...that sounds doable!).

Think it through...  if you live in NY, you earn  100,000 in on a special contract. NY and every state says you are OUR resident, you pay tax here if they have a state tax.   If you won in say, NC but lived in NY, you’d pay NC as they have an income tax so it’s not straight forward. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Kinda loving the idea that Bowles personally called Suh to recruit him, Maccagnan offered him a sh*tload of cash, and ultimately the weenie owner-boy scuttled it for reasons nobody knows. 

Reason:  Common sense.  

54 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was trying to add to your point.  You were on point.....  I thought it was something the guys might enjoy learn8ng about.  You were not wrong. 

Thanks for the expert interpretation. Bless you numbers guys. I would such a lousy CPA. My accounting experience is limited to keeping my checking acct solvent and my annual purchase of Turbotax software. ☺

Archived