Josh Rosen Interviewed By Rich Eisen

TuscanyTile2

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just assumptions from them taking him out to dinner and having private work outs with him. He speaks glowingly of the Giants like that’s where he is going. 

What other player have the owners dined with?

If giants dont trade down or just use their 2nd pick on a guy who won’t play next yr, they are guaranteed to pick top 5 again. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Says Peyton Manning is his guy (I'm guessing he probably sees himself in that mold).  Says he grew up an Eagles fan.  At 17:17 he says "I was not a Patriots' fan as one of the first games I saw was the Patriots beating my Eagles" (referring to the 1st Pats/Eagles Superbowl).  He had private workouts with the Bills, Browns, Jets and Giants.

EDIT: I just finished watching it.  Overall, kind of a bland interview.

That was fantastic.  Thanks for sharing.  I hadn't really heard this kid talk more than a minute or two here and there.

I'm surprised to say I really, really liked him.  I think he has "it." Gave a GREAT answer to a question about not being coachable, that he questions things or speaks his mind too freely against his coaches.  Said something to the effect that he wants to know every single play inside and out, be completely prepared for anything that could possibly happen during a play.  That's why he pushes back and seems to question his coaches a lot.

If you are one of those concerned about Rosen's love of the game and desire to play it this is a must watch.

Man, I think I want this guy.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the odds are we get him.  Darnold should be first.  The giants can take barkley, chubb, allen or trade the pick.  If they trade the pick, it's probably to buffalo, who takes allen I'm guessing.  I think the reality setting into my brain is that the jets aren't taking mayfield and we're getting allen or Rosen.

Agreed.  I have concerns about Allen for sure, but he's a great prospect.  I'm resigned to the fact that it will likely be Darnold, Rosen or Allen.  I won't be upset with any of them but I definitely have a preference for the first two.

If we think back 12 months Jets fans were clamoring, salivating for either Darnold or Rosen.  Those have been the guys forever.  If we get one of them I'll be thrilled.  And if we don't, well, we'll be getting the 3rd QB in a Draft that has at least 5 very good ones.

In 1999 three QBs were taken 1-2-3.  Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith.  Only one of them worked out and it wasn't the one taken first.  What does that mean?  Not much but it does mean that back then nobody knew sh-t about how the prospects would pan out and that's pretty much true today.  Hopefully all 3 of these guys will work out, but if not, we really won't know for a year or two at least if we got a good one no matter who we pick.

The one thing that does seem to remain constant, however?  CLE picked first :D

8 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Told myself I wouldn't play any favorites because the jets would surely get someone else. Nope. Completely rooting for this kid. Gonna really suck when we're left with Allen.

Why will it suck? What if Allen turns out to be better? Would it still suck?  

You know what would really suck? If the QB we take ends up being the 1 that is a bust. Whether that is Rosen/Darnold/Allen/Mayfield. That is the only sucky outcome here.

I appear to be in the minority, but nothing the Giants have done this offseason makes me think they are taking a QB this year.

Nothing in Gettlemans history would indicate he is likely to trade either.

Anything can happen, but I just don't see it.

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You know what would really suck? If the QB we take ends up being the 1 that is a bust. Whether that is Rosen/Darnold/Allen/Mayfield. That is the only sucky outcome here.

I live out West and I'm the only Jets fan amongst my friends out here.  At happy hour on Friday they asked me what QB I think the Jets will end up taking?  I simply told them....the wrong one.

:P

It was a really good interview and this kid is very likebale.  Certainly cleared up a lot for me about his personality and desire concerns.

I know one interview shouldn't matter - but it was nice to see.  I'm still an Allen guy but feel better about Rosen.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I live out West and I'm the only Jets fan amongst my friends out here.  At happy hour on Friday they asked me what QB I think the Jets will end up taking?  I simply told them....the wrong one.

:P

Now that hurts, I thought we were old friends from JI....smh

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I appear to be in the minority, but nothing the Giants have done this offseason makes me think they are taking a QB this year.

Nothing in Gettlemans history would indicate he is likely to trade either.

Anything can happen, but I just don't see it.

I mean signing J-Stew still shows zero feature backs on that roster. Saquon just makes sense at this point to me. Still, logic tells me that they could trade down for a boatload right now. They could get 2 1s and 2 2s from Buffalo, STILL get a feature back and be better off. I don't know...but I agree with you. Giants staying put and taking Rosen seems unlikely.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Of course, you're right...it just feels like Allen has the best chance of busting to me. Maybe it's that he reminds me of Jake Locker, I don't know. He just looks like a project to me. And we've played that game before. He may well be good, even better than expected.  I just want a plug and play QB...just once.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

A little troubling in this video concerning Rosen if you ask me,

No one was questioning whether Payton Manning had the desire to be great or not as a pro. 

No one was wondering whether or not Payton Manning was going to take notes during team sessions or whether or not he was going to prepare once he left the building. 

And to to hear Josh Rosen's former College HC voice these types of concerns when he has known him since he was 14 years old worries me...

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

No one was questioning whether Payton Manning had the desire to be great or not as a pro. 

No one was wondering whether or not Payton Manning was going to take notes during team sessions or whether or not he was going to prepare once he left the building. 

And to to hear Josh Rosen's former College HC voice these types of concerns when he has known him since he was 14 years old worries me...

Rosen?? Are you kiddin me!? Rosen??! Like dad like son lol

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

It reminds me a little bit of this.

11 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

After watching that interview, Can't see how anyone has a personality problem with Rosen.  Kids obviously a smart dude...likeable too.  Thanks 

Oh cmon. These interviews pre-draft are worthless. Any prospect with half a brain will just do an acting job. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It reminds me a little bit of this.

Yes thank you!!!

This is precisely why I said at that time that Sanchez  wasn’t ready to start in the NFL. 

Then when Sanchez struggled with somethings and I said that the Jets were not grooming him properly these same folks who were singing his praises despite my reservations were calling me a Sanchez apologist.   

No I wasn’t an apologist, I was just sick of the Jets brass always believing that they are smarter than everyone else in the NFL; and with that as my backdrop, Rosen based on that Mora interview, despite his superior talent has a big Yellow Flag over his head IMO.   

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yes thank you!!!

This is precisely why I said at that time that Sanchez  wasn’t ready to start in the NFL. 

Then when Sanchez struggled with somethings and I said that the Jets were not grooming him properly these same folks who were singing his praises despite my reservations were calling me a Sanchez apologist.   

No I wasn’t an apologist, I was just sick of the Jets brass always believing that they are smarter than everyone else in the NFL; and with that as my backdrop, Rosen based on that Mora interview, despite his superior talent has a big Yellow Flag over his head IMO.   

You know Jets fans, it doesnt matter if the darn coach comes out and says it. If he has a wonderful throwing motion and does awesome at the combine and pro day it doesnt matter what the actual coach thinks. 

I remember last year when the Notre Dame coach was telling Kizer that he wasnt ready. He was drafted and you know what? He wasnt ready. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You know Jets fans, it doesnt matter if the darn coach comes out and says it. If he has a wonderful throwing motion and does awesome at the combine and pro day it doesnt matter what the actual coach thinks. 

I remember last year when the Notre Dame coach was telling Kizer that he wasnt ready. He was drafted and you know what? He wasnt ready. 

The key is the NFL is not the place to learn key basics of your position or to get or develop a burning desire to be great. 

That is why some players never turn the engine for greatness because they don’t have the desire to put in the extra work that it requires.  

Think Wilkerson here!

I’m not knocking Rosen just saying if he himself doesn’t have the desire to be great, and he might not based on his own coach’s comments, that the Jets or any team are delusional if they somehow believe that they are going to create the environment to make him great. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key is the NFL is not the place to learn key basics of your position or to get or develop a burning desire to be great. 

That is why some players never turn the engine for greatness because they don’t have the desire to put in the extra work that it requires.  

Think Wilkerson here!

I’m not knocking Rosen just saying if he himself doesn’t have the desire to be great, and he might not based on his own coach’s comments, that the Jets or any team are delusional if they somehow believe that they are going to create the environment to make him great. 

I absolutely agree. If we're hearing about passion and commitment concerns from the HC of a QB I think we should atleast consider that. Who would know this better than the HC? What's even more pressing is that it was already about there about Rosens love for the game. Generally HC's will put on the positive speak when talking about a player heading to the pros, when it's to the point where event he HC wont hide the fact I think that when there's smoke, there's fire. 

Again, not saying that Rosen doesnt have the physical skill....but this is desire and willingness that we're talking about here and even his HC is bringing up this fact. Do you take that with the 3rd pick? 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I absolutely agree. If we're hearing about passion and commitment concerns from the HC of a QB I think we should atleast consider that. Who would know this better than the HC? What's even more pressing is that it was already about there about Rosens love for the game. Generally HC's will put on the positive speak when talking about a player heading to the pros, when it's to the point where event he HC wont hide the fact I think that when there's smoke, there's fire. 

Again, not saying that Rosen doesnt have the physical skill....but this is desire and willingness that we're talking about here and even his HC is bringing up this fact. Do you take that with the 3rd pick? 

No I don't!!

And if you are unsure about Allen you go with Mayfield IMO!

Wow

Why should we ever believe a coach when he says his QB "isn't ready"?  I mean, don't they have an interest in getting their QB to come back for another season?  

Also what if a school goes on probation?  The coach leaves and the players are stuck in their commitments.  Players know this.  There's no reason to trust these coaches.

22 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jeez...seriously?

Everyone when they take a 'step up' needs to 'step it up'.  I didn't study at all in HS and breezed through.  Went to college, and realized the competition had changed and the subject matter was harder so I actually had to, you know, study sometime.

Medical School was college on 'roids.  Instead of studying til 9 every night and then hitting the bar with the boys, it was study til midnight and go to bed.

Point is, Rosen is a smart kid..he obviously has the mental capacity to tackle this.  In this situation, motivation becomes a big factor.  Perhaps he realizes this is a big challenge and like most adults, he motivates himself to 'step up' to the challenge.  Maybe this is where the NYJ coaches need to kick him in the ass like some parents need to do to their kids.  Maybe he flames out if he realizes this gig ain't for him.  Who knows?

Allen has the physical tools but is not considered 'instinctual', he has a great attitude and desire but is he capable of putting it all together mentally?  Who knows?

Mayfield is shorter than ideal, is used to playing in an offense system with the OL lined up 1-2 yds apart from each other, taking shotgun snaps in a spread O, and drifting to the designated passing lane for the play.  Can he become a pocket passer in the NFL and find adequate passing lanes?  Was his drunken encounter with cops an aberration?

Just saying all these guys have question marks in their resume...even Darnold.  You're either gonna deal with Allen's footwork, designing an offense around Mayfield's shortcomings, or if it exists, dealing with Rosen's 'not taking notes in a meeting' if that even matters.  Maybe he don't need notes...not everyone does.  I'm more impressed that he wants to know 'why' in the process of the offense, and challenges it appears, the people above him...that shows more involvement than most 'junior' personnel in the process.

I've watched countless NFL QBs with all the physical traits in the world fail at QB...hi Geno!..because they lacked the mental capacity to either understand information or process it quickly enough to be successful in the NFL.  Pennington had the mental capacity in spades, but became damaged goods off physical attributes that were marginal to begin with.  Some have the physical attributes and attitude, but not the instinctualness of the position.  Rosen has more than enough physical ability, has the instinctual traits of a successful QB, and I believe the mental capacity to succeed IF HE WANTS TO.  Get it OUT of him.

I'll support whomever the Jets select, but think Rosen is the surest bet (I'm assuming Darnold is not an option...if he is, then that's another discussion).  

58 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

I remember watching Trent Dilfer's Elite 11 a few years ago:  Here is Rosen.  Hope he becomes a Jet

The start of this video reminded me of the Hansel montage at the start of Zoolander. So over the top. 

That said., he is by far my fave for the Jets and I think his personality and intelligence would be terrific for this franchise. I dont know where the idea comes from that these guys shouldnt be able to think for themselves and I liked his response to that question from Eisen. 

The Mora interview doesnt give me too much pause, because it seemed clear that he was framing that as the challenge for Rosen, but in the next breathe expressing great confidence in him. 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:05 AM, Augustiniak said:

Yes.  If bowles were in charge of FA he'd have beefed up the o-line more and thrown more money at a better rb and blocking TE.  

The way I see it:

• They made the highest offer ever made for a guard (but were turned down).
  • They signed a young veteran center.
  • They signed a veteran RB who’s started his team’s last ~40 straight games.
  • They made no attempt I’m aware of for the top receiving-only TEs after a lukewarm but legitimate offer to re-sign ASJ. A blocking TE isn’t a major move anyone makes in FA.
  • They made the top offer for veteran WR Robinson so teams couldn’t just stack the box.
  • They were the top bidder for veteran QB Cousins so they wouldn’t have to draft, develop, and play a rookie QB.
  • When they were turned down by Cousins, they signed not one, but two more veteran QBs, including re-signing McCown.
  • They signed a $15m/year veteran CB.
  • They reinvested in a veteran ILB he’ll be able to start for 4 years (longer than Davis)
  • They made a huge offer for 31 year-old Suh and left the offer on the table for days.

They made every attempt for what anyone would consider a Bowles wet dream offseason.

Archived