jets should avoid q.b.s. from southern cal

jets rooter

By this logic, Wyoming has never produced a draftable NFL QB so Allen won't be a good pick.  UCLA and Oklahoma share in producing Aikman.  Oklahoma produced Bradford and Jones.  So Mayfields got no chance.  UCLA has Hundley, Losman and Maddox in the past 15 years.  Not looking good for Rosen, either.  USC have Palmer, Sanchez, Kessler, Lienart, Cassel, Barkley.  Mixed but a lot of back-up quality QBs.  So perhaps Darnold will end up just a back-up.  So, none of these QBs should be drafted because of players that went to the same school?

Using the past success/failures for QBs that have come before is not a good way to measure current prospects.

The top QBs in this draft all have the abilities to be quality QBs in the league.  It's a matter of coaching, hard work, and being surrounded by right people (on and off the field).  Their successes and failures won't be because of players that attended the same school years before.

39 minutes ago, jets rooter said:

Looking back on q.b.s. drafted from southern cal.Makes me leery if the jets draft darnold. My pick would be josh allen who can be the jets savior. allen has played in winter conditions and would be the pick for either the jets or the giants. Agreed?

At least Southern Cal produced Carson Palmer.

Wyoming has only produced 3 pro bowlers, and 3 first round picks EVER. I fail to see how that's safer.

Allen will be awful? Huh?

Awful may be a bit strong. Everyone seems to be excited about him because he is a stud but his actual performance in football games has been mediocre to date. He has not been good so far. Should I be excited because he’s 6’4” with a big arm? I will be disappointed if we draft him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

53 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

This is a bad post in many different ways. Allen will be awful and don’t draft based on geography.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes because Mark Sanchez was the QB in back to back AFC Championship games. 

Weren't you in that crowd ripping Sanchez the other day?  Just askin .........

1 hour ago, jets rooter said:

Looking back on q.b.s. drafted from southern cal.Makes me leery if the jets draft darnold. My pick would be josh allen who can be the jets savior. allen has played in winter conditions and would be the pick for either the jets or the giants. Agreed?

Ugh

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Awful may be a bit strong. Everyone seems to be excited about him because he is a stud but his actual performance in football games has been mediocre to date. He has not been good so far. Should I be excited because he’s 6’4” with a big arm? I will be disappointed if we draft him.

I'm betting you'll change your tune in about 2 years.

It's the laziest argument ever to connect trends of players from a certain school over a timeframe of decades with several different coaches and schemes over that timeframe.

USC feels bad to Jets because of Sanchez but Carson Palmer anyone?

Lazy "analysis."

8 hours ago, jets rooter said:

I was thinking anyone but Allen and praying that Barkley would be picked in front of us but I don't know how I can argue with this logic.

You won me over. 

If a school or coach or system constantly puts out top rated first round prospects at QB, and those prospects constantly disappoint and under perform at the pro level, that is in fact a legitimate point to make. It’s not the only factor to consider but it is a factor.

After all, we have a number of folks here who see a pro day, a few minutes of throws made in shorts in perfect, no defenders, conditions as more important than that players whole college career. The “USC QBs suck in the pros” issue isn’t any more crazy than that!

10 hours ago, Grandy said:

At least Southern Cal produced Carson Palmer.

Wyoming has only produced 3 pro bowlers, and 3 first round picks EVER. I fail to see how that's safer.

okay, that's fair to an extent.  roethlisberger came from miami, ohio.  how many qb's has that college produced?  i know don shula was one of their most esteemed grads but as a coach not a player.

11 hours ago, jets rooter said:

the thing i see about the usc qb's is that they typically have a loaded team so it's hard to parse out how good the qb is from how well the other players are playing.  not to mention the overall party atmosphere these guys live in.  maybe darnold is on the straight and narrow but guys like leinart certainly took a drop in life style when they turned pro.  another knock on darnold is that he's an underclassman.  maybe this isn't such a big deal because he was red shirted and i believe transferred but still, imo the four year guys are certainly easier to evaluate.

as for the cold weather aspect, aaron rodgers is doing pretty well in green bay and he was a california product.

11 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

The top QBs in this draft all have the abilities to be quality QBs in the league.  It's a matter of coaching, hard work, and being surrounded by right people (on and off the field).  Their successes and failures won't be because of players that attended the same school years before.

Some years none of these guys pan out

last year they said the QB class was garbage

no one really knows about any of these QBs

therefore draft the best player available

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Some years none of these guys pan out

last year they said the QB class was garbage

no one really knows about any of these QBs

therefore draft the best player available

serious question here, what has last years qb class done to really prove there not  

Wentz looked great, but his team also won the super bowl with a back qb 

Goff looked good, he was the 1st pick in the draft he’s supposed to look good 

Watson looked good but his team produced the 4th pick in the draft, staying healthy is def part of your talent 

Mahomes is still just as much as question mark as he was this time last year

They could all turn out to be great, still is a good chance of that, but as of right now it’s undetermined in my mind 

I dont know why this is looked at as being such a bad idea. I've heard all offseason why the jets should stay away from Air Raid QB's. Why not stay away from schools that produce QB's that have a history of going high but never living up to their draft spot. 

Im not saying that this has to be the status quo, but this should be as sensible or ridiculous as staying away from Air Raid QB's. 

Archived