JetNation 2018 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

We're in crap shoot territory now.  Coin flip on who's the better player. Armstrong had the better SPARQ scores.  Holland had a better season but from everything I've read, Kansas changed their D and it impacted Armstrong's role.   Who knows at this point? 

I know. Kemoko Turay is like Lawrence Taylor, but with a bad hamstring 

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

You didnt catch any Connor Williams while watching Orlando Brown "tape"?  They played each other 3 times.  They also played Notre Dame twice during that time.

When I watch a game I try not to evaluate players because it takes away from the game. The true test is when you can focus in on them every single snap on draft breakdown. That's where my evals come from.

18 minutes ago, RobR said:

When I watch a game I try not to evaluate players because it takes away from the game. The true test is when you can focus in on them every single snap on draft breakdown. That's where my evals come from.

Any thoughts on Cappa -- did I just massively reach on a small school guy at the end of the 4th because of a good senior bowl week.  With Bulaga and Baktiari he would not need to step in and play this year.  Hoping he will be ready to start after a year or two.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Any thoughts on Cappa -- did I just massively reach on a small school guy at the end of the 4th because of a good senior bowl week.  With Bulaga and Baktiari he would not need to step in and play this year.  Hoping he will be ready to start after a year or two.

I was reading about Cappa the other day.  He's a bit of a project but the analysts seem to agree he has a huge upside. 

Recent top five draft picks Carson Wentz (North Dakota State), Corey Davis (Western Michigan) and Blake Bortles (Central Florida) are recent examples of the fact that the NFL is full of "late bloomers," players who slipped through the cracks of big-time recruiting only to emerge as dominant players at the lower levels and become highly regarded prospects. 

Though he won't join these players as early first round picks, Cappa is among this year's top small school prospects. 

Recruiters from Division I teams failed to recognize his upside as a then-240 pound offensive lineman. After redshirting in 2013, however, Cappa has emerged as one of the most dominant blockers at any level of college football, earning recognition as the Great Northwest Athletic Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Year after each of the past four seasons, an All-American his last three years and becoming the first player in school history to ever be invited to the prestigious Senior Bowl. 

Scouts who traveled through Humboldt State believe Cappa is the real deal and will perform well against the top talent in Mobile. A positive week there, along with Cappa's durability and consistency on tape, could earn him Top 100 consideration in the 2018 NFL draft. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's a bit of a project but the analysts seem to agree he has a huge upside. 

That was my reasoning for the pick.  Packers have two starting tackles (with injury histories) who are under contract 2 to 3 more season each.  If Cappa can provide some depth now, but be ready to start in a year or two, he could be great value in the 4th.  He was one of the few OLs who impressed at the Sr Bowl from what I recall. 

Worth a shot at this stage of the draft.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Honestly I have no idea.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

That was my reasoning for the pick.  Packers have two starting tackles (with injury histories) who are under contract 2 to 3 more season each.  If Cappa can provide some depth now, but be ready to start in a year or two, he could be great value in the 4th.  He was one of the few OLs who impressed at the Sr Bowl from what I recall. 

Worth a shot at this stage of the draft.

looking at the rankings out there (not including CBS, which is now utterly useless), he seems to be ranked from 10-17 among OTs.  He's what I would call a worthwhile risk.  I think it's a good pick.  If he were there for the Jets in round 5, I'd have taken him in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

You really have been busy these last few months -- sounds like you are not watching much OL tape this season.

Unfortunately the new job has me working about 12 hours every saturday, so I've missed a ton of college ball this year.  It's the main reason my participation in the hampur draft forum fell off a cliff.

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

Unfortunately the new job has me working about 12 hours every saturday, so I've missed a ton of college ball this year.  It's the main reason my participation in the hampur draft forum fell off a cliff.

Actually it is the Hampur draft forum in general that fell off a cliff.

• Sympathy 1

@BigO

you ave 25 minutes left on the clock.  You missed your last pick in round 4.  If you miss this one too, please let us know if you want to continue.  From the mock draftt rules:

If you miss 2 or more picks in a row, we will look to replace you with another GM unless you let us know that you plan to continue.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

looking at the rankings out there (not including CBS, which is now utterly useless), he seems to be ranked from 10-17 among OTs.  He's what I would call a worthwhile risk.  I think it's a good pick.  If he were there for the Jets in round 5, I'd have taken him in a heartbeat.

With Brugler and Rang gone....CBS's draft coverage is awful.

One of you "niks" should apply for a job there.  Clearly there's an opening for an NFL draft analyst/writer.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

With Brugler and Rang gone....CBS's draft coverage is awful.

One of you "niks" should apply for a job there.  Clearly there's an opening for an NFL draft analyst/writer.

I'm hoping we replace CBS in next years' spread sheet with something more credible... maybe one of the sites that Rang and  Brugler flew to. 

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

@BigO

you ave 25 minutes left on the clock.  You missed your last pick in round 4.  If you miss this one too, please let us know if you want to continue.  From the mock draftt rules:

If you miss 2 or more picks in a row, we will look to replace you with another GM unless you let us know that you plan to continue.

Sorry at work / just checked - see you round 6

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but it seems like in years past you could still get athletic freaks in the later rounds. This year, not so much.

I thought that this was a deep draft . Still lots of value out there but ya gotta look deep.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

@Dcat

Just FYI, JiF selected:

DORANCE ARMSTRONG

but he is still showing on the "Available Players" tab in the google doc.

fixed.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Great value pick there with Brandon Parker... totally forgot about him, but i'd already burned a 3 on Corbett. 

5th round is where things get interesting. We'll see who's digging deep and who's just reading spreadsheets 

• Sympathy 3

I actually debated between Parker and Christian Sam who went right after Parker....but I figured Parker was only a semi sleeper who would be on some people's radar.

I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve....it just depends on how late I think I can get some guys.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I actually debated between Parker and Christian Sam who went right after Parker....but I figured Parker was only a semi sleeper who would be on some people's radar.

I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve....it just depends on how late I think I can get some guys.

Well thank you for that lol.

Christian Sam is a guy I've been very high on for a while. Getting him in the 5th is a tremendous value pick as far as I'm concerned

19 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Sam was great value btw man. Solid pick up.

37 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Question for our fearlous leaders......who the hell is this supposed to be?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zO9_w4iPkH2fHOAkKsuOxAyVWFU747_SsTCfiQl_uvI/edit#gid=49333398&range=A12:P12

I got lazy and used someone else's ranking tool..  I do my rankings differently when I create the ranking sheet myself.  This guy was only ranked by one site; the "average" ranking ignores the other sites.  Drafttek has this guy ranked 90 on their big board -- that is his average ranking, even though he did not appear in the top 300-400 for other sites.  I think it was a mistake in the Drafttek rankings.  He is no longer there on drafttek.

Edit: He has been deleted from the sheet.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I got lazy and used someone else's ranking tool..  I do my rankings differently when I create the ranking sheet myself.  This guy was only ranked by one site; the "average" ranking ignores the other sites.  Drafttek has this guy ranked 90 on their big board -- that is his average ranking, even though he did not appear in the top 300-400 for other sites.  I think it was a mistake in the Drafttek rankings.  He is no longer there on drafttek.

Edit: He has been deleted from the sheet.

Without even looking, it’s Steven Richardson, WR, PSU right? I thought you snuck him in there to bait some lazy bastard into taking him so you could out the slackers.

• Haha 2