JetNation 2018 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

I just did a quick look at all the drafts.  I removed the posters name so this would be a totally objective analysis because I like some of you and hate some of you too.  So here's JiF's take on the draft:

1. Bills - this GM killed it.  Getting 5 potential D1 starters in his draft and a chance with Faulk as well.  Great draft.

2. Broncos - great haul, totally giving the offense a look for the future.  4 potential starters

3. Colts - really helped both sides of the ball with great picks all the way into the 4th

4. Browns - great haul to compliment a solid offseason from a FA perspective.  

5. Jaguars - this GM really did his homework, got the best LT in the draft, stole one of the best DT's in the late 2nd, and then drafted the QB in the 3rd who Kiper Jr. just mocked to the Jags in the 1st.   Limited picks or this would have clearly been the #1 draft as all his late 4th and beyond picks have tremendous upside. 

Worst draft?

Giants - they got Rosen but the rest of the draft is an absolute dumpster fire. 

The rest were really good just not good enough to crack the top 5. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I just did a quick look at all the drafts.  I removed the posters name so this would be a totally objective analysis because I like some of you and hate some of you too.  So here's JiF's take on the draft:

1. Bills - this GM killed it.  Getting 5 potential D1 starters in his draft and a chance with Faulk as well.  Great draft.

2. Broncos - great haul, totally giving the offense a look for the future.  4 potential starters

3. Colts - really helped both sides of the ball with great picks all the way into the 4th

5. Jaguars - this GM really did his homework, got the best LT in the draft, stole one of the best DT's in the late 2nd, and then drafted the QB in the 3rd who Kiper Jr. just mocked to the Jags in the 1st.   Limited picks or this would have clearly been the #1 draft as all his late 4th and beyond picks have tremendous upside. 

Worst draft?

Eat a fat cock, meathead. The Giants drafted (1) The best QB, (2) The best pure left tackle, (3) Two freaky athletic edge rushers (4) Three highly regarded DB prospects, and a 6’3” Brandon Marshall clone at WR, AND we picked up some nice developmental pieces to go along with it. Meanwhile, you drafted the Goodyear Blimp in the first round, except the Goodyear Blimp gets more than 13” off the ground.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eat a fat cock, meathead. The Giants drafted (1) The best QB, (2) The best pure left tackle, (3) Two freaky athletic edge rushers (4) Three highly regarded DB prospects, and a 6’3” Brandon Marshall clone at WR, AND we picked up some nice developmental pieces to go along with it. Meanwhile, you drafted the Goodyear Blimp in the first round, except the Goodyear Blimp gets more than 13” off the ground.

I take it you drafted for the Giants?

On 4/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, JiF said:

Worst draft?

Wow. You selected the teams with the highest (and most) picks in the first three rounds...and then the team that YOU picked for. 

Way to sift through the trash. 

Also, I too like the players that Buffalo ended up with but was it really a great draft? The cost to move up for Q. Nelson could’ve netted Billy Price and one of the remaining top QBs (Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson) or the second LT or OLB on the board. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Wow. You selected the teams with the highest (and most) picks in the first three rounds...and then the team that YOU picked for. 

Way to sift through the trash. 

Also, I too like the players that Buffalo ended up with but was it really a great draft? The cost to move up for Q. Nelson could’ve netted Billy Price and one of the remaining top QBs (Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson) or the second LT or OLB on the board. 

Hate Allen and Jackson

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Lets not forget @NYJetsVets91.  John was there helping with every part of it.  He may not post alot, but his effort was needed and much appreciated.

Thank you!  I actually went to tag him but for some reason the tag wasn't working. But I shouldn't have left him out, thanks for mentioning it and thank you John!

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, Dcat said:

Lets not forget @NYJetsVets91.  John was there helping with every part of it.  He may not post alot, but his effort was needed and much appreciated.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:23 PM, Maxman said:

Thank you!  I actually went to tag him but for some reason the tag wasn't working. But I shouldn't have left him out, thanks for mentioning it and thank you John!

Thanks guys. @Dcat and @Lith did the heavy lifting but I was glad to help where I could. Hope to do it again next year.

• Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...

Safe to say I was off on the Brown...but at least I didnt trade up into the first to take a T who wasnt taken until pick 50.

All that said, Balt. got the best LT in the draft and would have really loved him over another DT.  yay!

On 4/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, Dcat said:

Baltimore Ravens completed Draft:

16 1 16 1000 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator HAROLD LANDRY Boston College EDGE  
52 2 20 380 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator RONNIE HARRISON Alabama S  
83 3 19 175 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator JAMARCO JONES Ohio St. OT  
118 4 18 58 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator TEGRAY SCALES Indiana ILB  
154 5 17 29.4 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator SCOTT QUESSENBERRY UCLA C  
190 6 16 15 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator DYLAN CANTRELL Texas Tech WR  
215 6 41 5 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator MARQUEZ VALDES-SCANTLING South Florida WR Compensatory
238 7 20 1 Baltimore Ravens #27TheDominator TANNER LEE Nebraska QB  

@#27TheDominator

I just checked this out.  Hahaha.  I got crushed.  Landry (41) and Harrison (93) both went way lower than where I picked them.  The collective picked Jones (168) and Scales for me while I was away for the weekend.  I whined incessantly about Scales and his short arms and it appears I was correct - he went undrafted signing with the Rams as an UDFA.  Yeesh.  Lose those two duds and I would have been at +8 points (or maybe -168? can't say I understand the scoring), but I still appreciate not having to check my phone all weekend.  Also kept me from defending myself from physical assault from my wife for checking my phone all weekend. 

I was almost dead on with the next two - Quessenberry went 155 and Cantrell 191, both exactly one slot after I took them.  I really picked up with my last two Valdes-Scantling (174) and Lee (203) were the only guys that went ahead of where I picked them.

I said I really like looking through the bottom of the draft, and maybe it shows.  I had a long UDFA list to contact!  I don't really judge my draft as compared to draft position, I want to see how they do as pros.  I like Landry based on position and potential/athleticism, but who knows what they found with interviews and medicals.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s good of you. I am a draft expert. 

Your twitter pick was a masterpiece.  Imagine where you'd be without that one!  You made me look that guy (Tarvarius Moore) up and I think he will be good.  I also think if SF cuts him we will be first on the waiver line.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Your twitter pick was a masterpiece.  Imagine where you'd be without that one!  You made me look that guy (Tarvarius Moore) up and I think he will be good.  I also think if SF cuts him we will be first on the waiver line.

Thank you, Dom. Us draft experts are never appreciated in our own time. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 11:52 AM, T0mShane said:

As a public service for all of us draft shut-ins to get to know the prospects better, here is a one line description of what I found out about these stiffs I drafted:

1. Rosen: Enough said. I think he’s an ideal Giants pick and the Giants are ideal for him.

2. Connor Williams, OT/OG (6’5, 320 lbs): Was at one time projected to be a top ten pick at OLT, but fell off a bit this year. Plus athlete (5.08/40; 26 reps; 34 vj) with short arms who might be destined for guard. 

3. Rasheem Green, DE (6’5, 275) Former five-star who left USC a year early after putting up ten sacks and 12.5 TFL. Needs another year to grow into his body, but has a ton of potential. Giants are switching to a 3-4 and needed some athletes.

4. Kemoko Turay, OLB (6’5, 253) Prototypical size and athleticism for a pass rushing OLB, but came to the game late and is super raw. Additionally, has been dinged up throughout his college career. Went to the Senior Bowl and looked amazing in drills, showing good bend around the corner. You’d be drafting this guy strictly on a hope and prayer, gambling that he can stay healthy.

5. J’Mon Moore, WR (6’3, 190 lbs) Big, tough receiver in the Brandon Marshall mould who does a lot of his work after the catch. Timed decently (4.48/40, 38 vj, 6.56 3c) but has issues with drops.

6. JC Jackson, CB (5’10, 202) Athletic press corner who was thrown out of UF after being charged with armed robbery, for which he was eventually cleared. Would be projected higher if not for the incident.

7. Trenton Thompson, DE (6’4, 288) Athletic, potentially disruptive DL project who, like Turay, has had some injuries. Part of a buzzsaw Georgia defense that kicked a lot of ass. Lith, resident UGA expert, is not a fan. 

8. Rashaan Gaulden, CB (6’1, 197) Pedestrian athletic numbers (4.61/40, 7.18 3c), but the draft media loves him anyway, pointing to his physicality and competitiveness. 

9. Tarvarius Moore, FS (6’1, 190) Freak athlete (4.32/40, 6.89 3c, 39.5 vj) who played FS for Southern Miss, but has potential to come down and play the slot. 

10. Brendan Mahon, OG (6’4, 320) Big, tough, experienced guard from a run-heavy offense at PSU. Played all over the line.

11. Ryan Nall, RB (6’2, 230) Big back with plus athletic traits and soft hands who is projected to find a home at H-back. 

12. Timon Parris, OT (6,6, 312) Big, athletic developmental prospect from a small school who impressed at the Senior Bowl.

Hi, @JiF. I remember you doubting my prolific drafting skills. Well, to follow up, I just thought I’d bounce this off your beak:

1. Rosen is the QB in waiting in Arizona.

2. Connor Williams is beloved by Cowboys coaches. http://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article215674735.html

3. Rasheem Green is the star of Seahawks camp and had 7 tackles along with 1 1/2 sacks in their first preseason game. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-rasheem-green-leads-pass-rush-colts/

4. Kemoko Turay is receiving similar praise from Colts coaches (like Robert Mathis) and is penciled in as a starter already. https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Article/Former-Rutgers-football-DE-Kemoko-Turay-atop-Indianapolis-Colts-depth-chart--120410518/Amp/

5. J’Mon Moore is working with the first team in Green Bay (but needs to work on his hands) https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/91564/packers-fourth-round-wideout-j-mon-moore-practices-with-first-team/amp

6. JC Jackson is the new Malcolm Butler in New England: https://985thesportshub.com/2018/08/13/patriots-jc-jackson-training-camp-practice-day/

7. Trenton Thompson was injured/waived by the Browns. MY ONE MISS.

8. Rashaan Gaulden is working with the starters in Tennessee: http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article215656545.html

9. Tarvarius Moore is a third team corner for the 49ers.

10. Brendan Mahon is starting for the Panthers: https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Brendan-Mahon-ready-for-opportunity-to-start-at-left-guard-120477575/Amp/

11. Ryan Nall just did THIS: https://www.chicagobears.com/video/ryan-nall-bursts-for-69-yard-run

12. Timon Parris was beating on Jets DLs this week and will be a practice squad guy for the Redskins. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hi, @JiF. I remember you doubting my prolific drafting skills. Well, to follow up, I just thought I’d bounce this off your beak:

1. Rosen is the QB in waiting in Arizona.

2. Connor Williams is beloved by Cowboys coaches. http://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article215674735.html

3. Rasheem Green is the star of Seahawks camp and had 7 tackles along with 1 1/2 sacks in their first preseason game. https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-rasheem-green-leads-pass-rush-colts/

4. Kemoko Turay is receiving similar praise from Colts coaches (like Robert Mathis) and is penciled in as a starter already. https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Article/Former-Rutgers-football-DE-Kemoko-Turay-atop-Indianapolis-Colts-depth-chart--120410518/Amp/

5. J’Mon Moore is working with the first team in Green Bay (but needs to work on his hands) https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/91564/packers-fourth-round-wideout-j-mon-moore-practices-with-first-team/amp

6. JC Jackson is the new Malcolm Butler in New England: https://985thesportshub.com/2018/08/13/patriots-jc-jackson-training-camp-practice-day/

7. Trenton Thompson was injured/waived by the Browns. MY ONE MISS.

8. Rashaan Gaulden is working with the starters in Tennessee: http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article215656545.html

9. Tarvarius Moore is a third team corner for the 49ers.

10. Brendan Mahon is starting for the Panthers: https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Brendan-Mahon-ready-for-opportunity-to-start-at-left-guard-120477575/Amp/

11. Ryan Nall just did THIS: https://www.chicagobears.com/video/ryan-nall-bursts-for-69-yard-run

12. Timon Parris was beating on Jets DLs this week and will be a practice squad guy for the Redskins. 

Are you so insecure with me insulting your sh*tty draft, that you actually went and did research on preseason updates to try and validate that it wasnt sh*tty?

FYI - it's sh*tty and all those dudes suck

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you so insecure with me insulting your sh*tty draft, that you actually went and did research on preseason updates to try and validate that it wasnt sh*tty?

FYI - it's sh*tty and all those dudes suck

I saw the Ryan Nall highlight on NFLN and thought, “wow, I’m great.” Then I poked around for other guys that I expertly scouted. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 10:58 PM, Dcat said:

Buffalo Bills completed draft:

1 8 1400 Buffalo Bills New York Mick QUENTON NELSON Notre Dame G  
2 7 510 Buffalo Bills New York Mick CHRISTIAN KIRK Texas A&M WR  
2 21 370 Buffalo Bills New York Mick FRANK RAGNOW Arkansas C  
2 24 340 Buffalo Bills New York Mick DALLAS GOEDERT South Dakota St. TE From Rams
3 1 265 Buffalo Bills New York Mick DARIUS LEONARD South Carolina St. OLB From Browns
3 32 116 Buffalo Bills New York Mick LUKE FALK Washington St. QB From Eagles
4 8 78 Buffalo Bills New York Mick JAYLEN SAMUELS N.C. State TE From Buccaneers (Fullback)

@New York Mick

If you need a break from the Gase nightmare let’s see how you guys did. 

1. Nelson - Killed it, PFF rating  75/above average and first team all pro

2. Kirk - Good, PFF ratting 70/above average. Before getting injured in week 13 and missing the rest of the season he had 43 catches, 590 yards and 3 TDs putting him 3rd on the team in catches, 2nd in yards and 1st in yards per catch. 

3. Ragnow - Good, PFF rating 62/average. He started every game for the lions. His rating dropped after Donald killed him. 

4. Goedert - Good, PFF rating 77/above average. 33 catches, 334 yards, 4 TDs and pretty much 4th in every receiving category while playing 2nd behind Ertz.

5. Leonard - Killed it, PFF rating 80/good, first team all pro and probably 2nd DROY. He had 163 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 ints and 4 ff. 

6. Falk - awful, I let the pressure of the board make me pick him. 

7. Samuels - Good, PFF rating 70/above average. In limited time he had 56 carries, 256 yards, 0 TDs, 26 receptions, 199 yards and 3 TDs. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

2. Kirk - Good, PFF ratting 70/above average. Before getting injured in week 13 and missing the rest of the season he had 43 catches, 590 yards and 3 TDs putting him 3rd on the team in catches, 2nd in yards and 1st in yards per catch. 

3. Ragnow - Good, PFF rating 62/average. He started every game for the lions. His rating dropped after Donald killed him. 

4. Goedert - Good, PFF rating 77/above average. 33 catches, 334 yards, 4 TDs and pretty much 4th in every receiving category while playing 2nd behind Ertz.

5. Leonard - Killed it, PFF rating 80/good, first team all pro and probably 2nd DROY. He had 163 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 ints and 4 ff. 

7. Samuels - Good, PFF rating 70/above average. In limited time he had 56 carries, 256 yards, 0 TDs, 26 receptions, 199 yards and 3 TDs. 

Very nice job!  LOL @ your Falk excuse.  Maybe one day we will hear Maccagnan say: "The [JN] Board made me pick that guy!"

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Nelson and Leonard alone make this a great draft.  Add Kirk, Goedert and Ragnow; and even Samuels in limited action and you killed it.  Helps having 6 day 1&  2 picks, but you still made the most of them.  Really nice draft.

• 3 months later...