JetNation 2018 Mock Draft DISCUSSION

Dcat

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm fine with it.  I'm might end up with the same guy I would have had at 3 but with the ability to convert the Jets 3rd rounder for Denver's 2nd round.  Or maybe I move back further.  Someone is already interested in moving to 5 depending on the next pick.

Just now I checked the charts for the hell of it. The 3rd over all exactly matches the 5th overall and Denver's 2nd. 2200 points

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm fine with it.  I'm might end up with the same guy I would have had at 3 but with the ability to convert the Jets 3rd rounder for Denver's 2nd round.  Or maybe I move back further.  Someone is already interested in moving to 5 depending on the next pick.

Hang in there Dcat.  When you get Mayfield at 5 and Sony Michel with that 2nd rounder, the narrative will change a little at least.  Unless it doesn't because....JN :)

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

Just now I checked the charts for the hell of it. The 3rd over all exactly matches the 5th overall and Denver's 2nd. 2200 points

I know that.  But it wasn't going to be enough to get him to move.  

I would have vomited picking either Mayfield or Allen at #3.  Just because Mac traded up to 3 from 6, I don't have to overpay for one of those two.  They both have upside and are both flawed.  Neither worth that.  

I believe Mac traded up from 6 to 3 out of sheer panic that none of the 4 top QBs would be there at 6.  Check out the draft chart mismatched value on that one.  GMs always deviate from the chart when they feel its worth it.

Interesting.  So CLE addressed the loss of Joe Thomas with McGlinchey.  Explains why they didn't move up.  They could actually have probably moved down a few spots (and may have tried to).  FWIW, moving from 3 to 5, regardless of what you think of the compensation, did not hurt the Jets in the least here.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting.  So CLE addressed the loss of Joe Thomas with McGlinchey.  Explains why they didn't move up.  They could actually have probably moved down a few spots (and may have tried to).  FWIW, moving from 3 to 5, regardless of what you think of the compensation, did not hurt the Jets in the least here.  

He tired to move back, but could not agree on a deal.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

FWIW, moving from 3 to 5, regardless of what you think of the compensation, did not hurt the Jets in the least here.  

Yeah if you ignore that their GM deliberately took sh*t value because it's all bullsh*t anyway, it's all good as usual. 

Boooo

• Thumb Down 1

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Hang in there Dcat.  When you get Mayfield at 5 and Sony Michel with that 2nd rounder, the narrative will change a little at least.  Unless it doesn't because....JN :)

I think if he took Mayfield or Allen with #5 it would look even worse. If either of the QBs was worth #5, then it was worth taking them at #3 to insure you got the right one.  A slightly worse QB isn't like a slightly worse guard.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think if he took Mayfield or Allen with #5 it would look even worse. If either of the QBs was worth #5, then it was worth taking them at #3 to insure you got the right one.  A slightly worse QB isn't like a slightly worse guard.  

Nah.  I like one of them better than the other and I've been sure to be careful about being able to get the one I want.  My trade (and perhaps future trade) were conditional that the trade partner didn't take a QB and that he didn't re-trade the pick to anyone else.   100% certainty that I can still get the one I prefer but still improve later round(s) if possible.  

it may look worse to you. But it was in the plans and it looks much better to me having an early 2nd round pick instead of an early 3rd.

Anyway, I'll wait another 20 minutes for a couple of GMs to respond to my PM re trading down again.  

Trust me,  If I'm going to pick Allen or Mayfield, I'm 100% going to get the one I want more.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dcat said:

Nah.  I like one of them better than the other and I've been sure to be careful about being able to get the one I want.  My trade (and perhaps future trade) were conditional that the trade partner didn't take a QB and that he didn't re-trade the pick to anyone else.   100% certainty that I can still get the one I prefer but still improve later round(s) if possible.  

it may look worse to you. But it was in the plans and it looks much better to me having an early 2nd round pick instead of an early 3rd.

Anyway, I'll wait another 20 minutes for a couple of GMs to respond to my PM re trading down again.  

Trust me,  If I'm going to pick Allen or Mayfield, I'm 100% going to get the one I want more.

And what if they had picked a QB at 3?  What would your recourse be?

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

And what if they had picked a QB at 3?  What would your recourse be?

The trade was contingent on Denver agreeing not to draft a QB.  Otherwise I wouldn't have made the trade.  Denver agreed.

• Upvote 1

Mayfield it is.  Wish I could have moved back a few more spots to make up for Mac's mistake going to 3.  I tried.  At least I got us an early 2nd rounder in exchange for our 3rd rounder.  It's something.

And I apologize to those who wanted Allen.  I get it. I like his arm strength and frame too.  But, as was pointed out in another thread by I forget whom, in the last 20 years there have been 7 1st round QBs who never had a single college season with above 60% completion .  Those were Ryan Leaf, Alkili Smith, Michael Vick, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman and Jake Locker.

That is some scary historical company for Josh Allen.  NFW.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

In the end despite the abuse the Jets Gm took he is in the same position he was otherwise except he has better draft capital.  Here is the low down on the trade from my point of view.

The price for me to trade up was for sure cheap and I can see why some people go their shorts in a knot at first.  DCat could probably have squeezed another lower round pick out of me but nothing more than a late rounder.  I was not actively looking to trade up.

There were two condition's to the trade.  1)  I could not take a Qb and 2) I could not turn around and trade the pick.  By doing this he guaranteed himself one of the QBs whom he valued about the same and did not really love either.

Cheap or not the Jets gained in the end on this deal.  And the restrictions made on the pick were one reason the price was not as high as people thought it should be.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In the end despite the abuse the Jets Gm took he is in the same position he was otherwise except he has better draft capital.  Here is the low down on the trade from my point of view.

The price for me to trade up was for sure cheap and I can see why some people go their shorts in a knot at first.  DCat could probably have squeezed another lower round pick out of me but nothing more than a late rounder.  I was not actively looking to trade up.

There were two condition's to the trade.  1)  I could not take a Qb and 2) I could not turn around and trade the pick.  By doing this he guaranteed himself one of the QBs whom he valued about the same and did not really love either.

Cheap or not the Jets gained in the end on this deal.  And the restrictions made on the pick were one reason the price was not as high as people thought it should be.

thank you for describing it so well.  It made perfect sense.  Look, Mac  gambled that by trading up to 3, he would get one of Darnold or Rosen.  He was willing to take a consolation prize in Allen (or Mayfield) if both Rosen and Darnold were gone (unless he truly thinks that Allen is worth the risk).  I understand.  It was a decent wager.  But he lost.  I got the same player I would have picked at 3 in slot 5 and improved our 3rd into a 2nd.  I wish I could have gotten us more back.  Did the best I could.  

Now everyone can calm down.  What I did was calculated, deliberate and in the end helped the Jets in this mock a bit.  Only wish I could have recouped more from Mac's failed gamble.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

except he has better draft capital

Uuuum, he gave up a third round pick in a deal he didn’t have to and lost two spots in the draft. He then ended up picking one of the players he didn’t want for that...GD this is a special offseason at JN. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Uuuum, he gave up a third round pick in a deal he didn’t have to and lost two spots in the draft. He then ended up picking one of the players he didn’t want for that...GD this is a special offseason at JN. 

I would not have been enticed to make the deal if I was just giving up my 2nd rounder with the restrictions being made on the pick.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

There's gotta be some review with veto power over trades right?  I mean, I LOVE Mayfield, I think he is the next coming.  He's still on the board with a boatload of teams who need QBs right now.

Can I trade ALL of the Chargers draft picks to move up and grab him?

I got the same player I would have had at 3, but helped the Jets improve elsewhere in the draft. Wouldn't have done it if Rosen or Darnold were there at 3.  That was the plan and it worked.  There was virtually NO risk because my trade partner had to agree not to take a QB and not to re-trade the pick. That was the deal.    

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would not have been enticed to make the deal if I was just giving up my 2nd rounder with the restrictions being made on the pick.

And the reality is....there is no such thing as restricting who another team drafts.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

To make a point that he thinks the trade up to 3 to begin with was a bad move?  That's kinda my whole read on the thing.  But I'm not in his head.

Although the trade up is risky (unless Mac loves Allen), I did the trade back to get the same player I would have selected at 3 but with improvement elsewhere in the draft.  That was the plan

30 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

love the way you ignore that I got a high 2nd round for the 3rd I gave up.  And I got the EXACT same player I would have picked (with no risk mind you) at pick #5.