How do you pass on Josh Allen?

Jetster

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jetster said:

For what it's worth Charlie Weiss loves Baker Mayfield & believes he'd be a great pick for the Jets. He thinks he's got the right temperament for the Big Apple, no game is too big for him & loves his accuracy & chalk board smarts! I was like "Wow" listening to him say this. 

Or BB could have paid him $250,000 to f*ck the Jets over by picking Baker, lol.

Eff Charlie Weis.  I remember reading him say something along the lines of "it always happens to that organization".  While he's right, he shouldn't have crapped on us.  First off, we employed him.  Second, that led to his very lucrative job at ND.  Third, despite all that money, he stunk as a coach.  He couldn't even win at Kansas.  He had some nerve talking smack considering how overrated he was.

8 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I can pass on Allen in the draft after watching him play the game of football - he looks lost at times, bad decisions, usually with the game on the line and that is the exact time you need your franchise QB to step up. I saw the same thing in hack's play at PSU, he would make a few plays then overthrow a wide open receiver on 3rd down and they both have all of the "measurables" - hence the comparison

Show me the ability to will a team to win a game (like Watson vs Bama) and that prospect has a chance in the NFL - or he's just another guy waiting for the perfect situation to flash (see Fitz, McCown, etc...) lightning in a bottle

Ask yourself this question. What would Allen have looked like with the talent at Clemson. What would Watson have looked like with an anemic offense at Wyoming. 

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If Mason Rudolph wore a headband and had this mythical “moxy” that people perceive Mayfield having, he would be getting a lot more attention.  

I’m having a hard time believing that Mayfield is a better prospect than Rudolph.   Other than “moxy” and the headband thing, what does Mayfield do better than Rudolph? And better yet why would transition to the NFL better than Rudolph?

Arm strength, accuracy, and intelligence 

For what it's worth Charlie Weiss loves Baker Mayfield & believes he'd be a great pick for the Jets. He thinks he's got the right temperament for the Big Apple, no game is too big for him & loves his accuracy & chalk board smarts! I was like "Wow" listening to him say this. 
Or BB could have paid him $250,000 to f*ck the Jets over by picking Baker, lol.

Casserly too.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Devils advocate says tyrod Taylor can start for a year or two while Allen is "coached up" whereas Darnold starts an immediate WB controversy.

Personally, I feel like the browns should be so desperate to finally get a QB that they should pick 2. That way they double their chance of finding their franchise QB.

No QB drafted in the last 12 years in the first round has sat out a year and gone on to be the Franchise QB for that team. 

SPORTS

Jets now want to see more of Josh Allen

March 26, 2018 | 5:07pm

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Jets’ quarterback search will continue next week, when they return to Wyoming for a private workout of Josh Allen.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said Monday the team will go to Laramie, Wyo., next week to get a closer look at Allen, whose Pro Day they attended last Friday.

The Jets have had private workouts already with UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield. Maccagnan said they have nothing scheduled with USC’s Sam Darnold, a possible sign they believe he will be taken No. 1 overall by the Browns.

“With Sam, we had actually gotten quite a bit of exposure on him, so we feel pretty good about him,” Maccagnan said.

The Jets also plan to have the quarterbacks take pre-draft visits to their Florham Park headquarters.

Maccagnan said the Jets feel confident they can land a good player after trading up to No. 3 in the draft. It is clear the Jets have a few players they feel are worth taking at No. 3. They did not move up targeting one player.

“If you feel good about the pool of players that may be available at three, then you feel comfortable making that move,” Maccagnan said.

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Aaron Rodgers

That’s 2005.....    13 years. Sanchez played his best 2 years no bench.  

The pussification of the  QB, everyone points at Rodgers etc.  Fukk that.  Roethlisberger started and played great year one.  I say play the guy.  Aaron Rodgers is the exception. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The pussification of the  QB, everyone points at Rodgers etc.  Fukk that.  Roethlisberger started and played great year one.  I say play the guy.  Aaron Rodgers is the exception. 

I agree. You learn by playing, not sitting. If you need to sit, their is either a HOFer in front of you, or you're not a franchise QB.

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Ah he got me with the 12 year thing , I  skipped over that fact. And as far as Qb's starting right away , I'd be all for it especially with the Jets but remember who our HC is . Not a chance in hell our draft picks starts early on. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SPORTS

Jets now want to see more of Josh Allen

March 26, 2018 | 5:07pm

ORLANDO, Fla. — The Jets’ quarterback search will continue next week, when they return to Wyoming for a private workout of Josh Allen.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan said Monday the team will go to Laramie, Wyo., next week to get a closer look at Allen, whose Pro Day they attended last Friday.

The Jets have had private workouts already with UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield. Maccagnan said they have nothing scheduled with USC’s Sam Darnold, a possible sign they believe he will be taken No. 1 overall by the Browns.

“With Sam, we had actually gotten quite a bit of exposure on him, so we feel pretty good about him,” Maccagnan said.

The Jets also plan to have the quarterbacks take pre-draft visits to their Florham Park headquarters.

Maccagnan said the Jets feel confident they can land a good player after trading up to No. 3 in the draft. It is clear the Jets have a few players they feel are worth taking at No. 3. They did not move up targeting one player.

“If you feel good about the pool of players that may be available at three, then you feel comfortable making that move,” Maccagnan said.

This is where they tell him what passes to throw. Hopefully he can show that he can make timing and anticipation throws.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No QB drafted in the last 12 years in the first round has sat out a year and gone on to be the Franchise QB for that team. 

You do realize the NFL right now lacks franchise QBs under the age of 32, right? Once Brees, Brady and Rodgers retire, there really isnt anyone special out there (who has produced multiple seasons) except maybe Andrew Luck.

25 minutes ago, Barton said:

You do realize the NFL right now lacks franchise QBs under the age of 32, right? Once Brees, Brady and Rodgers retire, there really isnt anyone special out there (who has produced multiple seasons) except maybe Andrew Luck.

Yeah, the landscape of the NFL right now reminds me of when the MLB was patiently waiting for the Trout/Harper/Bryant/Stanton generation to take the reins from the Pujols/Cabrera crowd. By 2020 the NFL will have a brand new group of super duper stars. Personally it seems like this one will be slightly less QB-centric but they'll still be mandatory to really matter. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Goff? And has it really been that long since Aaron Rodgers was drafted?

Goff didn’t sit out his entire first year. 

32 minutes ago, Barton said:

There are plenty of franchise QBs under 32. 

I don't think you need to worry about the Jets passing on Allen, if the Browns draft Darnold at 1.

If the Browns draft Darnold at 1, I think the Giants trade out with Denver to 5.  And, Denver drafts Allen at 2.  He's a carbon copy of Elway himself.  How can he resist?

Jets get Rosen at 3, Giants get Nelson at 5 after Barkely goes 4 to CLE.

Gonna be interesting.

15 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If Mason Rudolph wore a headband and had this mythical “moxy” that people perceive Mayfield having, he would be getting a lot more attention.  

I’m having a hard time believing that Mayfield is a better prospect than Rudolph.   Other than “moxy” and the headband thing, what does Mayfield do better than Rudolph? And better yet why would transition to the NFL better than Rudolph?

Questionable arm.  Baker has a strong arm and he's accurate.

10 hours ago, roscoeword said:

If hackenberg had one one of these workouts, he'd also look great, so don't know why how one can truly evaluate a qb by attending these throwing sessions. 

Hackenburg did have plenty of these workouts - yet he wasn't considered a top prospect in the NFL.

Everyone needs to stop comparing Hack to Allen - they're completely different skill-sets, history etc...

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Roethlisberger only played his rookie year because Tommy Maddox got hurt.

Until that Ryan/Flacco class in ‘08, it was commonplace to sit a rookie QB for a year or two.

If the Jets draft a guy like Allen at #3, I have no problem with him sitting behind Teddy and McCown for a season, or at least the first 10-12 weeks.

Hell, all of these rookies are probably going to sit for at least the first half of this season.

Tyrod probably starts over Darnold in the beginning, if the Giants take Rosen he’s going to sit behind Eli for at least a year, if the Broncos take a guy like Mayfield he’ll end up riding the bench behind Keenum initially, etc.

I don’t think it’s a big deal at all

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:
11 hours ago, RESNewYork said:
Curious how Josh Allen would have looked if he was at Oklahoma.
Another question for the JN experts. Where do you find YAC stats. When you watch these game breakdowns, is it just me but Oklahoma must be a team leader in that category. 

Let me guess, because you don’t like Mayfield?

I am not into the don't like any prospect because they could be a Jet soon, and I'm going to root like hell they are successful. Do I prefer others over Mayfield? Yes.

And is it not a legitimate question? 

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Roethlisberger only played his rookie year because Tommy Maddox got hurt.

Until that Ryan/Flacco class in ‘08, it was commonplace to sit a rookie QB for a year or two.

If the Jets draft a guy like Allen at #3, I have no problem with him sitting behind Teddy and McCown for a season, or at least the first 10-12 weeks.

Hell, all of these rookies are probably going to sit for at least the first half of this season.

Tyrod probably starts over Darnold in the beginning, if the Giants take Rosen he’s going to sit behind Eli for at least a year, if the Broncos take a guy like Mayfield he’ll end up riding the bench behind Keenum initially, etc.

I don’t think it’s a big deal at all

I dont think its a big deal BUT to draft him and develop him like Petty or Hack?  Thise guys could sit for 5 years and still suck. Big Ben agreed BUT he could play when called upon.  Hack? Petty?  We need drfat a PLAY NOW QB.  If he sits a while, fine but this regime shows NO ability to nurture a QB.

If Allen was the only top QB available in the draft then I'm sure we would be begging to draft him.  Because many Jets have him ranked 3rd or 4th for QB's, they want no part of him.

I want Rosen before him and I have a feeling Baker will be a good QB but if we do draft Allen, I for one will be happy.  The goal is to get a franchise caliber QB and any one of the 4 can be that guy.

12 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Curious how Josh Allen would have looked if he was at Oklahoma.

Another question for the JN experts. Where do you find YAC stats. When you watch these game breakdowns, is it just me but Oklahoma must be a team leader in that category. 

Good point.  Anyone who actually watched Mayfield’s games saw a ton of screens and dumpoffs for yards galore

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont think its a big deal BUT to draft him and develop him like Petty or Hack?  Thise guys could sit for 5 years and still suck. Big Ben agreed BUT he could play when called upon.  Hack? Petty?  We need drfat a PLAY NOW QB.  If he sits a while, fine but this regime shows NO ability to nurture a QB.

Hack and Petty have poisoned the minds of Jets fans.  It’s now bad to be a big athletic qb

Archived