Lamar Jackson Should (Apparently) be the #1 Pick, and If You Don't Agree You Are Probably a Racist/Racially Biased

Warfish

So seems to be the message:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766425-ditch-the-racially-coded-language-lamar-jackson-is-no-ones-wide-receiver?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Ditch the Racially Coded Language, Lamar Jackson Is No One's Wide Receiver

MASTER TESFATSIONMARCH 26, 2018

There are many unknowns leading up to April's NFL draft, but one thing should be clear.

Lamar Jackson isn't a wide receiver. Not even close.

A Heisman Trophy winner who can effortlessly sling a pigskin 50 yardswith the flick of the wrist while eluding a pass-rusher should not catch passes for a living.

Jackson should enter the NFL as a quarterback—and retire as one, too.

Yet some NFL pundits, former NFL general manager Bill Polian chief among them, say the former Louisville quarterback is better suited as a pro wide receiver, even if he didn't record a catch in college. The topic was one of the biggest stories out of the NFL Scouting Combine when NFL Network reported "multiple teams" requested Jackson test at the position. The 21-year-old said a team didn't specifically ask him to work out at wide receiver, stating he's "strictly [a] quarterback."

"His tape speaks volumes, but staffs can't see beyond their biases," one NFC scout told Bleacher Report. "He's black and athletic. Bias tells you he has to prove to you that he is smart enough. And if he can't, he's more valuable somewhere else because he's athletic. Lamar has to be twice as good, both mentally and physically. And he still can get Deshaun Watson'ed."

It's unfortunately a common development this time of year, when black quarterbacks seem to be held to a different standard than their white counterparts at one of the most important positions on the field.

But the film don't lie.

Jackson deserves the same opportunity to succeed or fail at the position as every other flawed quarterback in this draft. The question is whether he will receive it.

"I can't remember a faster guy lining up at the quarterback position other than myself," Michael Vick, a former Pro Bowl quarterback and No. 1 NFL draft pick, said. "… He just does things that you just don't see or haven't seen in a long time."

Considered by most talent evaluators to be among the top five quarterbacks in a class with Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield, Jackson has the most exciting film for a quarterback prospect since Vick. He became the first college player to record 3,500 passing yards and 1,500 rushing yards in consecutive seasons, proving in one of this decade's most extraordinary college careers that he is more than just a scrambler.

With 69 touchdown passes and 27 interceptions on 1,086 attempts in college, Jackson proved he's capable of making good decisions and can make every throw needed to succeed in the NFL. The two-time ACC Player of the Year, voted by the conference's coaches and media, carried the Cardinals with his ability to make a special play at any moment, whether that's throwing a dime to win a 2016 game against Virginia or gliding around Florida State defenders with his legs.

"If you don't think he can succeed at quarterback, I think you're wrong," Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Chris Long said. Long has followed the Jackson stans and critics as they duke it out on his timeline over the last year and tweeted out his two cents during the combine March 2. Of Jackson's critics as a quarterback, he said: "I think it's kind of an interesting take because there are so few, and you're taking a chance on any college quarterback these days. So why him? Why is he different?"

The argument for Jackson at wide receiver starts with his athleticism and slender build, listed at 6'3" and 200 pounds, then continues with his mediocre throwing accuracy. Jackson completed just 57 percent of his passes during his three seasons with the Cardinals and never surpassed 60 percent in a given year.

"[He's] short and a little bit slight, and clearly, clearly not the thrower that the other guys are," Polian, a current ESPN analyst, said on Golic and Wingo in February. "The accuracy isn't there. So I would say don't wait to make that change [to receiver]."

Jackson was more accurate than Allen, who is white and completed just 56.2 percent of his passes in 27 games with Wyoming against lesser competition, yet no one is calling for him to pursue another position.

"Stats are for losers, in my opinion. The guy won," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said on a January conference call when asked about Allen's completion percentage. A month later, when asked why he doesn't believe Jackson is a first-rounder, Kiper responded, "It's the accuracy throwing the football."

Where they do that at?

Allen, at 6'5" and 233 pounds, isn't being asked to move to tight end. Instead, he could be a top-three pick, while Jackson wasn't selected in Kiper's latest first-round mock draft.

Former NFL quarterback and current Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms has Jackson rated as the top signal-caller in the draft, followed by Allen. On The Simms & Lefkoe Podcast, Simms said the conversation behind moving Jackson to wide receiver "is truly the dumbest f--king thing I've ever heard. Was it pretty all the time? No. But the decision-making is pretty damn good. It's very good actually. He plays the position the right way."

Jackson faces a systemic issue regarding black quarterbacks that dates back to the beginning of the sport's existence. Marlin Briscoe broke the racial barrier in 1968 when he lined up under center for the Denver Broncos during his rookie season, throwing for 1,589 yards and a team-best 14 touchdowns.

Briscoe was traded the following season to the Buffalo Bills, who converted him to wide receiver.

"It's something that we hear far too often, or way more frequently, with black quarterbacks," said Dr. Carl Suddler, who teaches African American history and African American sports history at Florida Atlantic University. Suddler has watched successful black quarterbacks build impressive resumes in college, "yet the expectation is that they don't have what it takes to play quarterback at the next level."

A discrepancy still exists in the language used to describe black and white quarterbacks. Just last year, as evaluators debated between Deshaun Watson and Mitchell Trubisky, the Washington Post studied NFL draft profiles and "found substantial racial differences in the language used to describe quarterback prospects—differences that are consistent with established racial stereotypes."

It notes how a white quarterback is more likely to be discussed by citing "intangible internal qualities for which he himself is responsible." However, a black quarterback is more often viewed by his physical characteristics, "to be judged erratic and unpredictable, and to have his successes and failures ascribed to outside forces."

"We do it across the spectrum in football," said Long, who has found it lazy that every white pass-rusher gets compared to him or Washington's Ryan Kerrigan, who are both white. But, he said, that kind of racial stereotyping is most obvious when it comes to black quarterbacks, who play the most important position on the field.

Jackson didn't help himself during his interviews with NFL teams, grading poorly with his preparation on the whiteboard, according to multiple sources. Teams have quarterbacks draw up their favorite plays against certain coverages, and they're looking for prospects to be as thorough as possible to grade their football intelligence.

Jackson wasn't detailed, allowing skeptics to reinforce their view that he should change positions because of his "football IQ."

"He has enough pluses that I still like him," said one NFL quarterbacks coach. "If he was really sharp with that, then he would be a top-10 pick. It was bad, but not the worst I've ever seen. Not even the worst at this combine."

Vick wants to help Jackson navigate the draft process, but aside from a few conversations, he's had a difficult time contacting him. Jackson has a tiny camp, electing to represent himself instead of hiring an agent. His mother, Felicia Jones, serves as his manager.

"The preparation is everything in the National Football League, from the time prior to the draft to your last game," Vick said. "That has to be at a premium for him now more than ever. It's very important, and I'mma get him there. I'm gonna continue to fight to help get him there."

Regardless of whether he does or doesn't "get there," Jackson deserves this opportunity. He played his entire career at quarterback. He was a Heisman winner, then a finalist the following year, playing the position. He is one of the best playmakers in the draft.

Jackson has earned the opportunity to play quarterback in the NFL. Anyone saying different should check the tape. 

Is there legitimacy here? 

If Jackson was exactly the same, but white, would he be ranked higher generally or vying for the #1 pick spot with Darnold/Allen/Rosen? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jackson is more accurate than Allen:

Target drop passes percentages:

Lamar Jackson - 8.5% Baker Mayfield - 8.0% Josh Rosen - 7.5% Mason Rudolph - 6.6% Josh Allen - 4.8% Sam Darnold - 4.3%

The thinking that he's too small could have some merit, however.  He'll need to get bigger in the weight room to feel confident in his ability to stay healthy.  6-3 is fine.  Only 200 lbs is not.  Baker Mayfield, though 2 inches shorter, is listed at 215.  

Watched one of his highlight vids.  Never seen anything like it.  Amazing athlete!  But no joke, a 7 minute nightlight vid, only like 4 throws.  The rest were all runs.

If we were picking later I'd be thrilled to have the kid and try some new type of offense.  

But picking at #3, I'd prefer a QB who throws 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then runs if needed.

There's probably some legitimacy to this but not nearly as much as the writer tries to make (IMO).  If Jackson were white, you could say (unfairly) that he'd be a smaller, faster Josh Allen with less arm and the WR thing would still probably be a thing. 

Here's a counter-argument that the writer failed to bring up.  Deshaun Watson is black and rushed for a lot of TDs.  But he threw for a 67% completion rate so nobody was suggesting he switch positions.  As for Allen, he's not nearly as athletic as Jackson so he doesn't have nearly as much potential value at TE (if any) than Jackson might at WR.  

I also find it lacking that he didn't mention the obvious precedent of Terrell Pryor.  Because of Pryor's success (limited so far but far from a flop) at the switch, this is probably going to come up from time to time with QBs who are athletic but not necessarily great pocket passers.  

I'm not suggesting Jackson should switch but I can understand that it is a topic based on his college stats and performance.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

There's probably some legitimacy to this but not nearly as much as the writer tries to make (IMO).  If Jackson were white, you could say (unfairly) that he'd be a smaller, faster Josh Allen with less arm and the WR thing would still probably be a thing. 

Here's a counter-argument that the writer failed to bring up.  Deshaun Watson is black and rushed for a lot of TDs.  But he threw for a 67% completion rate so nobody was suggesting he switch positions.  As for Allen, he's not nearly as athletic as Jackson so he doesn't have nearly as much potential value at TE (if any) than Jackson might at WR.  This i

I'm not suggesting Jackson should switch.  I also find it lacking that he didn't mention the obvious precedent of Terrell Pryor.  Because of Pryor's success (limited so far but far from a flop) at the switch, this is probably going to come up from time to time with QBs who are athletic but not necessarily great pocket passers.  

Braxton Miller is one too.

Is there a double standard? Should Watson have gone first instead of Trubisky? 

I don't care about race. I do care that Jackson could produce offense without a top end O Line and skill position players, like he did at Louisville. What would Jackson have done if he played at Oklahoma? That's why I was hoping and still preferred Jackson at 6 while keeping the second rounders. 

Is there any possibility that the Jets top 3 is Darnold, Rosen, Jackson? 

You know what's fun? Watching all 119 TDs from Lamar Jackson

I don’t know when everyone is going to realize that it isn’t about stats in college with these guys. It’s about how well their game translates to the next level.

If throwing for a bunch of yards and TD’s, completing 70% of your passes and winning big bowl games and Heisman trophies were the criteria, then dudes like Leinart, Young, Tebow, Manziel, etc would all be tearing the league a new assh0le right now.

I dunno if it's overt racism - but on the surface, it's a joke that Josh Allen gets a pass on all the sh*t that he does in light of "potential" when the exact same situation exist for Lamar (who was measurably better), yet no one is talking about Lamar in the first 5 picks.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t know when everyone is going to realize that it isn’t about stats in college with these guys. It’s about how well their game translates to the next level.

If throwing for a bunch of yards and TD’s, completing 70% of your passes and winning big bowl games and Heisman trophies were the criteria, then dudes like Leinart, Young, Tebow, Manziel, etc would all be tearing the league a new assh0le right now.

Then you maybe you should watch some of the Allen games NOT vs Delware state, or Cal poly-sci

The trouble with Athleticism.....is that in college, a small percentage have elite athleticism.  

In the Pro Level, every player on the field (just about) has elite athleticism.  

Watched a random couple of plays from the vid above.....looked like I was watching a Running Back's highlight reel.  Not a QB.

I'd like to ask the writer why he thinks near 100% of NFL Running Backs are black.  If he thinks there is an inherent racial bias against white WR's and RB's in the NFL too.  

And in a country headed towards 50% Hispanic in it's demographics, how many Hispanic QB's do we have.....

#1 pick? No

But Lamar should definitely be more highly thought of then he is. He's not a WR.

And he definitely has more potential than Mayfield (who I like btw).

Jackson should be given a legit shot to develop and try to fulfill his potential.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno if it's overt racism - but on the surface, it's a fcking joke that Josh Allen gets a pass on all the sh*t that he does in light of "potential" when the exact same situation exist for Lamar (who was measurably better), yet no one is talking about Lamar in the first 5 picks.

Their games are entirely different.  Jackson's game will translate to the NFL for a while until he gets hurt and blows out a knee.  You just can't play that way and expect to stay healthy.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

NFL GM's. Owners, Coaches wnat to win more than they care about anything else.

Just too many risks and unknowns about Jackson's game.  The whole WR thing is non-sense - He's going to be drafted as a QB in the late first round early 2nd..

Which is about where someone like him should go. (I personally wouldn't draft him at all because I don't think he can stay healthy.)

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Their games are entirely different.. Jackson's game will translate to the NFL for a while until he gets hurt and blows out a knee.  You just can't play that way and expect to stay healthy.

A lot of Allen's game is based on his athleticism/mobility (to go along with his arm).

Why do you think they compare him to Cam Newton?

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Then you maybe you should watch some of the Allen games NOT vs Delware state, or Cal poly-sci

Just watch the biggest of them. Potato Bowl against Central Michigan.

Just how much of a freak he is at the position is abundantly clear.

Grown in a lab with generational arm talent. 

Has also been the top performer at QB among these guys this offseason and the dedication to improving his footwork and the touch and ball placement on his throws is clearly evident. You take him at #3, sit him behind Teddy and McCown for a year and you might really have something.

The people who compare this guy to Hack are just goofs. Go back and look at Hack at the combine. He’s sailing the ball 4 feet above guys heads on simple little 20 yard posts against air.

Allen has killed everything thrown at him this offseason and legitimately has the highest upside of any of these QB’s.

Why so many act like it would be sacrilegious to take him over a guy like Mayfield is beyond me.

Just now, King P said:

A lot of Allen's game is based on his athleticism/mobility (to go along with his arm).

Why do you think they compare him to Cam Newton?

Allen is a thrower and scrambles a bit - not a runner (Mayfield is the same)

Honestly, two very different things.

Jackson ran for something like 1600 yards last year - I think Allen was like 200.  Doesn't make it a bad thing just doesn't translate the same way to the NFL.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

NFL GM's. Owners, Coaches wnat to win more than they care about anything else.

Just too many risks and unknowns about Jackson's game.  The whole WR thing is non-sense - He's going to be drafted as a QB in the late first round early 2nd..

Which is about where someone like him should go. (I personally wouldn't draft him at all because I don't think he can stay healthy.)

There is talk he goes 11 or 12 which is Miami or Buffalo.

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno if it's overt racism - but on the surface, it's a fcking joke that Josh Allen gets a pass on all the sh*t that he does in light of "potential" when the exact same situation exist for Lamar (who was measurably better), yet no one is talking about Lamar in the first 5 picks.

The word coming out of the combine was that Allen did very well on the chalkboard testing while Jackson was not so good at all,. That's a HUGE difference at the next level.

I think he has the potential to be the best QB in the draft. He improved tremendously as a passer last year. I would've been fine with taking Chubb or Barkley at 6 and trading back into the 1st with our 2nd rounders for Lamar. I don't see us taking him now but I wouldn't like him any less than I would Allen or Mayfield. Rosen and Darnold just seem like a cut above the rest to me. It's sad that Jackson isn't in the conversation with Mayfield and Allen, considering his talent and production at a big school with terrible weapons and OL.

My biggest issue with Lamar Jackson is his styler of play and his size. Idk what he weighs now but he looked every bit of 6'3/4" 190-205 lbs. He has a very thin/lean build. I'm not sure how durable he will be in the NFL. That's really my only issue except for the less than ideal completion percentage thats grossly skewed by the OL and drops he dealt with this past year.

17 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The word coming out of the combine was that Allen did very well on the chalkboard testing while Jackson was not so good at all,. That's a HUGE difference at the next level.

understood, but this predates combine. Significantly. 

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's because Allen has the greatest arm to ever come out, and Jacksons is relatively weak. Both have just about identical completion %

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just how much of a freak he is at the position is abundantly clear.

Central Michigan... biggest of them all? 

I... don't know how to put this.... but central Michigan isn't a big deal. You might want to start with ORE

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

It's because Allen has the greatest arm to ever come out, and Jacksons is relatively weak. Both have just about identical completion %

That's ridiculously over simplifying the situation, and not entirely accurate either. 

I'm not saying one should feel this way or that way -- but there's absolutely a narrative of one individual being given a pass for a lot more than the other. 

36 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Also, just watched it? Haven't you been oiling up his chest and back for a few weeks... and you're just NOW watching his games? 

That, in a nut shell, is the Allen bandwagon. 

Archived