Todd Bowles Says Some Things

CrazyCarl40

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Rich....stop copying my posts please. Thanks.

If we're going to read anything into this, I'd think that it means they generally know what Cleveland is going to do at 1.  Which wouldn't be terribly surprising or unusual.  It wasn't long ago that contract negotiations went on prior to the draft.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

If we're going to read anything into this, I'd think that it means they generally know what Cleveland is going to do at 1.  Which wouldn't be terribly surprising or unusual.  It wasn't long ago that contract negotiations went on prior to the draft.

the jets trading up to 3 pretty much guaranteed the browns are taking a qb and that it's most likely darnold.  the giants control the draft right now.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Todd Bowles doesnt decide who plays what and when on game day?  Huh? 

He does. That he is responsible for. But you gave him crap for not knowing how to use a player that isn't on his roster based on words he didn't say.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

But what's that have to do with "you got Chubb sitting there at 2"?? Seems kinda weird to say it like that. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

But what's that have to do with "you got Chubb sitting there at 2"?? Seems kinda weird to say it like that. 

the guy really shouldn't be speaking about this.  but since the jets are taking a qb it isn't relevant.  but he should shut up.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

He basically plays Jamal at LB anyway, you telling me he couldnt push him to a Deone Buccanon type role to try and fit in Honey Badger?  Adams cant cover so this actually makes sense. 

The bottom line here and the problem is, Todd Bowles is punting on talent because he cant figure out how to get him into the game.  That's not a good thing.  What kind of coach cant figure out how to utilize talent at his disposal? 

I know y’all like exaggerate Adams ability not to cover although it’s no where near as bad as y’all make it seem . But he played a lot more than just LB. He played a lot  snaps at SS,FS, and slot Corner .  Basically he is doing more than Buccanon ever did . 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Completely meaningless just like everything else that coaches and GM’s spew this time of year.

The Jets are taking a QB at #3, period.

I know the Jets have given us plenty of reasons to be skeptical in the past, but this isn’t one of them.

Macc and his scouts have been under mandate by the Johnson’s to scout these QB’s every chance they get for the last 9 months.

They didn’t trade all of our 2nd rounders for the next two years to take a RB or OLB.

It’s 100% going to be a QB. Either Rosen or Allen in all likelihood.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Completely meaningless just like everything else that coaches and GM’s spew this time of year.

The Jets are taking a QB at #3, period.

I know the Jets have given us plenty of reasons to be skeptical in the past, but this isn’t one of them.

Macc and his scouts have been under mandate by the Johnson’s to scout these QB’s every chance they get for the last 9 months.

They didn’t trade all of our 2nd rounders for the next two years to take a RB or OLB.

It’s 100% going to be a QB. Either Rosen or Allen in all likelihood.

I took it more as, they have a pretty good hunch that the Giants will take Chubb at 2. At least that's my wishful thinking.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I took it more as, they have a pretty good hunch that the Giants will take Chubb at 2. At least that's my wishful thinking.

i also think the giants are taking chubb.  it makes a lot of sense, they can grab a good rb at the top of the 2nd or 3rd round this draft.  i think right now most of us think the jets would automatically take rosen over allen if both are there, but by the draft i think it could go either way.

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Picking 3rd and he "believes" they'll have a shot at 6-7 guys? 

Sounds weird, but all that means is that there are six or seven guys who he sees as having a possibility to be gone in the first two picks. Basically, that means the four quarterbacks, Barkley, & chubb

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont believe that's what he actually said, but there's the narrative

Hey said the exact opposite . He said he would know how to use to him  . But badger wants to be a starter . And with our 2 young safeties we couldn’t offer him that. 

It's funny to me how pretty much any unbiased mainstream observer or analyst seems to think Jamal Adams had a great rookie year and will be a great player for us for a long time but Jets fans act like he's a colossal bust. I get the "safety at 6" crowd but I've never seen such negativity toward a good young player.

I wouldn't read into anything Bowles says about the draft. We're taking a QB and everyone knows it -- even if that isn't what Bowles would want.

The most telling thing are his comments about starting QB/McCown. My guess is the starter will be whoever he thinks is in his best interest as far as self preservation is concerned -- which, let's hope, is a rookie.

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's funny to me how pretty much any unbiased mainstream observer or analyst seems to think Jamal Adams had a great rookie year and will be a great player for us for a long time but Jets fans act like he's a colossal bust. I get the "safety at 6" crowd but I've never seen such negativity toward a good young player.

I wouldn't read into anything Bowles says about the draft. We're taking a QB and everyone knows it -- even if that isn't what Bowles would want.

The most telling thing are his comments about starting QB/McCown. My guess is the starter will be whoever he thinks is in his best interest as far as self preservation is concerned -- which, let's hope, is a rookie.

He just said to start out the offseason..don’t see anything wrong with that..if the Rookie does good in minicamp and OTA’s, training camp, etc...I fully expect to see the kid play. He is a #3 pick and not some 2nd or 4th round project 

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

"they traded up to No. 3 not with one player in mind but with 6-7 they believe they’ll have a chance at."

Ug, so why not stay pat at 6?

relax...

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini 

Reading tea leaves? Bowles to @AdamSchefter on trade up: "We knew there would be a lot of ppl moving up, so there was a chance if we stayed where we were we'd be out of the QB business or any other player as far as Chubb and Barkley." http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=22931059 …

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

He just said to start out the offseason..don’t see anything wrong with that..if the Rookie does good in minicamp and OTA’s, training camp, etc...I fully expect to see the kid play. He is a #3 pick and not some 2nd or 4th round project 

Exactly

This means nothing right now.

I’m sure Hue Jackson will say that Tyrod is the Browns starter initially, McDermott will say that McCarron is the initial starter in Buffalo, if the Broncos draft a QB at #5 Elway will say it’s Keenum’s job to lose, etc. 

Whether the Jets draft Rosen, Allen or Mayfield I totally expect McCown to be named the starter until Teddy/the rook can beat him out.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don't think he said anything "wrong" I was just saying that whoever the opening day starter is will likely be whoever Bowles thinks is best for his long term job security.

If we draft Rosen or Mayfield I'd bet they'll be the opening day starter. Allen is way more of a tossup. If he's far off expect to see McCown/Bridgewater IMO.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

100% agreed.  Unfortunately, Bowles also played the guys most likely to be long term solutions for the Jets.  Yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown are more likely to be playing meaningful football a couple years from the time they started for the Jets than Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.

With Petty, I agree. He got his chance, albeit late garbage time.  He failed, and he should be gone this season.

With Hack I do not agree. We’ll never know what would have been if Hack was the starter at any point. McCown and Fitz were never long term options.

The franchise would be better off if Hack had started all of this year and more. No matter how bad he would have been. Any chance that live fire action may have spurned his development into a workable asset was a superior outcome to the multiple 5 win seasons and total non-movement at the QB position we actually got.  The odds may strongly favor that Hack would have indeed failed badly.  But now we'll never know. 

And I am deeply disappointed to have invested a 2nd in a QB, and wind up with "never know" as his outcome here.

I get the frustration, I do.  But, the issue at hand here is really how bad Hack and Petty are, not the fact that Fitzpatrick and McCown started.

I respectfully disagree. 

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Also confirmed that Bruce Arians will be helping out in training camp.

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bruce Arians will visit training camp while he's on vacation, per Bowles. No formal role. He won't be a consultant. Bowles says Arians will be wearing flip flops and shades. #Jets

Just now, Untouchable said:

Exactly

This means nothing right now.

I’m sure Hue Jackson will say that Tyrod is the Browns starter initially, McDermott will say that McCarron is the initial starter in Buffalo, if the Broncos draft a QB at #5 Elway will say it’s Keenum’s job to lose, etc. 

Whether the Jets draft Rosen, Allen or Mayfield I totally expect McCown to be named the starter until Teddy/the rook can beat him out.

is it fair to say that at this point it's likely we're not taking mayfield?  isn't that why we traded up, essentially, to be guaranteed a top 3 qb not named mayfield?

Just now, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini

Bruce Arians will visit training camp while he's on vacation, per Bowles. No formal role. He won't be a consultant. Bowles says Arians will be wearing flip flops and shades. #Jets

standing next to teddy bridgewater, who also will be wearing flip flops and shades.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One, he's not the OC.  Two, that's the offense you think you saw last season?

Imagine having an NFL coach responsible for and directing  the entire team,even the offense. A man can dream. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

standing next to teddy bridgewater, who also will be wearing flip flops and shades.

After reading the comments from today about Teddy, especially from the Vikings HC....he's such a long shot right now. Hack probably has to stay on the roster just to have a healthy QB available. 

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

After reading the comments from today about Teddy, especially from the Vikings HC....he's such a long shot right now. Hack probably has to stay on the roster just to have a healthy QB available. 

it makes me think that even if they draft allen, if allen shows enough in TC he may wind up the backup qb.  

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Bridgewater wasn’t even comfortable talking about his knee. Definitely still a murky situation.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He didnt want to sign the Honey Badgers because he couldnt think of a way to use him...

Rich Cimini‏ @RichCimini 

Bowles on the Honey Badger: "You can never have enough good football players. I know how I would’ve used him, but ... he has a chance to go start. We just got two young safeties the year before, so that would’ve been tough for him to come here." #Jets

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

You posters realize when talking about the stupidity of Bowles, you come off as unintelligent whiny fans, full of contradictions. Which is fine, but just thought someone should let you know. 

Stupidity-like punting down 2 scores late in a game, or habitually wasting timeouts? 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

is it fair to say that at this point it's likely we're not taking mayfield?  isn't that why we traded up, essentially, to be guaranteed a top 3 qb not named mayfield?

That’s what I firmly believe 

I know Mayfield has his fans and I certainly don’t hate the guy nor would I be pissed off if we took him at #3 as many would be with Allen, but I have a hard time imagining that we’d trade away 3 2nd round picks to move up for a 6’0 QB with legitimate maturity concerns.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen all have the potential to make up that next wave of upper tier NFL QB’s for the next 10+ years along with Wentz, Luck (if healthy), Wilson, Goff, Garoppolo, etc.

Mayfield is the big wildcard in the group. I don’t see Brees or Wilson upside, I see something along the lines of a Jeff Garcia. And much like Garcia, he may turn into a good, Top 15 QB for the better part of a decade and make a few pro-bowls along the way...but I don’t see the kind of upside that Darnold, Rosen and especially Allen possess.

Any one of those guys has the talent to be a Top 8 QB in this league for a decade+ if things click.

Archived