Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

11 hours ago, legler82 said:

And Mayfield would not?  Allen just has his CMP% working against him from a historical perspective.  Mayfield has to buck to trend of:

-QBs under 6'2"

-QBs coming from the Spread

-QBs from the Big 12

-QBs that won the Heisman

He is not your run of the mill system quarterback.  He has put his team on his back and put up all world numbers, despite the missing 1 and 3/8 inches.  (I love that people argue that he will be bad because he won the Heisman.)  In contrast, Allen put up mediocre numbers in a second tier conference, despite having occasional highlight reel throws.  I'll take my chances with Mayfield, if Rosen and Darnold are not available.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JORDAN punched Steve Kerr in the face during a practice. He also constantly lit into Bill Cartwright so bad, that he threatened to break Jordan’s legs. Jordan even still during his hall off fame speech spoke like a petty, self-absorbed sociopath with a chip on his shoulder.

I could care less if my FQB wants to win so bad that uses evert insult as fuel to win. I’ll take that over “drop my head and pout Sanchez” or any other personality we’ve had. I want guys who want to win as much as they want to breathe air.

Not sayinf Mayfield is my first choice, he’s not even close. But I love his passion and drive to succeed.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I wouldnt consider drafting Allen at 3. Rosen wasn't great in college either. Both him and Mayfield love to hear themselves talk and both just seem like Manziel. Whatever- going out on a limb I guess...but both seem destined to flame out. 

Manziel was a party boy alcoholic. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Hello, friends. For those of you strenuously arguing that 6’1” is acceptable but 6’0 5/8” is not, here’s a little rustic blue-collarin’ man-info for you and your pink Nancy-boy hands. One hyphen measures roughly an eighth of an inch. The difference between 6’0 5/8” and 6’1” is 3/8ths of an inch, or three hyphens. So, you’re hyperventilating over this: —- 

Get your logical arguments off this internet.   It does not belong here.

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Don't get me wrong - I want Allen - I think he's going to be a great NFL QB, but his completion % is worrisome.

But....I was mainly just disputing the points that you made about Mayfield - The fact that he played for a good team, led a profieiecnt offense and won an award an for the best college football player shouldn't be used as reason to say he won't be a good NFL QB.

short to intermediate throws are worrisome.

1.darnald

2.rosen

3.mayfield

4.allen

well see, but I think that's how the nfl wil see them too, come draft day. rosen is going to be picked #2 by some team, leaving Mayfield and allen at #3. I find it hard to believe that mac traded up for a project qb.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hello, friends. For those of you strenuously arguing that 6’1” is acceptable but 6’0 5/8” is not, here’s a little rustic blue-collarin’ man-info for you and your pink Nancy-boy hands. One hyphen measures roughly an eighth of an inch. The difference between 6’0 5/8” and 6’1” is 3/8ths of an inch, or three hyphens. So, you’re hyperventilating over this: —- 

Shut up. Logic has no place in this argument.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know every monitor will show hyphen length differently, right?

Anyway, on my monitor, here is the difference from 6'0 5'8" to 6'5"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure that helped the debate much but I'm having fun :)

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

1.darnald

2.rosen

3.mayfield

4.allen

well see, but I think that's how the nfl wil see them too, come draft day. rosen is going to be picked #2 by some team, leaving Mayfield and allen at #3. I find it hard to believe that mac traded up for a project qb.

I highly doubt Rosen goes before Allen...

I think Bowles’ commentd about Mayfield are him secretly, but publically arguing with the front office over who to draft.

Scouts love the Josh Allen / Josh Rosen prototype. Bowles loves Mayfield type attitude (like Jamal Adams). He wants an accurate QB after dealing with Hackenberg.

I feel like front office and coach are split on the pick. I wonder who Jeremy Bates wants?

4 hours ago, prime21 said:

Baker is the girl that you really want to be with but you rather walk into a room with Rosen.

Great quote.  Mayfield is the guy you want on your team, but Rosen is the guy much easier to justify drafting b/c he checks off most boxes.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

oh, I would without hesitation - and I think that's almost certainly going to be the case.  Allen is going 1 or 2.

My big question is really Mayfield over Rosen.

Interesting take, if darnold goes first and then the giants or, say, buffalo, takes allen.  Presumably the jets have already figured this out before they traded up.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Interesting take, if darnold goes first and then the giants or, say, buffalo, takes allen.  Presumably the jets have already figured this out before they traded up.

I think it's unlikely they figured out who they wanted before the trade up - otherwise all of these meetings, pro-days, private work-outs, etc...are all just theater

I get the sense they liked all 4 or at least 3 of 4 - and comfortable with any of them but didn't have the specific order yet. 

They go into day one of the the draft with 3 names on a board - and that's it..My guess, at this point they're 100% locked in yet.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think Bowles’ commentd about Mayfield are him secretly, but publically arguing with the front office over who to draft.

Scouts love the Josh Allen / Josh Rosen prototype. Bowles loves Mayfield type attitude (like Jamal Adams). He wants an accurate QB after dealing with Hackenberg.

I feel like front office and coach are split on the pick. I wonder who Jeremy Bates wants?

Of course they are. Bowles wants either Chubb or Fitzpatrick. Hopefully for the 1st time in forever the team picks offense first.

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Of course they are. Bowles wants either Chubb or Fitzpatrick. Hopefully for the 1st time in forever the team picks offense first.

If they don't get a qb with the 3rd pick, there will be multiple flying banners at Florham Park

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's unlikely they figured out who they wanted before the trade up - otherwise all of these meetings, pro-days, private work-outs, etc...are all just theater

I get the sense they liked all 4 or at least 3 of 4 - and comfortable with any of them but didn't have the specific order yet. 

They go into day one of the the draft with 3 names on a board - and that's it..My guess, at this point they're 100% locked in yet.

It's not theater because they're picking 3rd not first.

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

If they don't get a qb with the 3rd pick, there will be multiple flying banners at Florham Park

Agreed, there is no reason not to pick a QB there. Regardless of the varying opinions there are at least 3 QB's worth taking a shot at in slot 3 .

I believe they have their QB draft board as the following:

1) Darnold (going to CLE)

2) Rosen (Either NYG/BUF or NYJ)

3) Mayfield (Either NYJ or DEN or MIA or BUF or ARIZ)

4) Allen (DEN, or MIA or ARIZ or Buff)

I cannot see them drafting Allen. 

LL

On 3/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

You should've purchased a JetNation PSL.  I got in just fine.  Though parking was hella expensive.

I pass last year, but I'll be first in line this year!

On 3/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, rangerous said:

the thing too it's never been about bradford's qb ability.  it's always been about his ability to stay on the field injury free.

I think even when he's on the field, he's not the same QB he was in college.  He had a much stronger arm in college, and then after the injury he's sort of lost some zip on the fastball.  Prior to the injury, I thought he was a prototypical pocket passer, accurate with very good arm strength.  

Kinda reminds me of Pennington after the shoulder injury, the lost zip really forced a change of plans.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:10 PM, jetsons said:

what????

Well questions about his leadership, is he really mature enough to be a leader.  For example, Gronk is a great player but a doofus, so he wouldn't make a great leader even though everyone seems to love him on the team.  Need someone that can not only be likable, but hold others accountable.

5 hours ago, #90 said:

Bowles is not smart enough for the smoke screen thing. We all certainly know that.

The Jets have been working on the world’s biggest smokescreen since they started burning down the roster two years ago. I can see the mushroom cloud from the West Coast. 

36 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I pass last year, but I'll be first in line this year!

I think even when he's on the field, he's not the same QB he was in college.  He had a much stronger arm in college, and then after the injury he's sort of lost some zip on the fastball.  Prior to the injury, I thought he was a prototypical pocket passer, accurate with very good arm strength.  

Kinda reminds me of Pennington after the shoulder injury, the lost zip really forced a change of plans.

Well questions about his leadership, is he really mature enough to be a leader.  For example, Gronk is a great player but a doofus, so he wouldn't make a great leader even though everyone seems to love him on the team.  Need someone that can not only be likable, but hold others accountable.

There's NEVER been a question about Mayfields Leadership... in fact, it's just 1 of the many assets he's lauded for.

Archived