Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird history of Baker Mayfield and Texas Tech

The Red Raiders found a diamond in a rough, then lost him to a conference opponent.

By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner  Updated 

450103425.0.jpgPhoto by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

When the Texas Tech Red Raiders visit the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN2), they’ll face a star quarterback who used to be theirs.

In 2013, Baker Mayfield walked on at Texas Tech and ascended rapidly.

Mayfield was a historic recruiting miss by almost the entire country. He was a low three-star on the 247Sports Composite, with his only listed offers from FAU, New Mexico, and Rice. Mayfield opted to pay his own way in Lubbock instead. Anticipated starter Michael Brewer was injured before the season, and Mayfield started to get things to fall into place for himself.

He was the first true freshman walk-on in FBS history to start a season opener at QB, we think. Mayfield won that game, 41-23 at SMU, and the next four games after that. On Oct. 5, he was 5-0 with nearly 1,500 yards and an efficiency rating near 150. He’d slipped into Kliff Kingsbury’s air-raid offense and was making it rain.

Mayfield got hurt and started to slide down Tech’s depth chart.

He’d been injured in a Week 5 win at Kansas. Tech won the next two games in his absence but then embarked on a five-game losing streak. Mayfield didn’t return until the third of those losses, to Kansas State on Nov. 9. He later said Kingsbury didn’t communicate with him while he was injured, and that he could’ve played sooner.

“When I got hurt, there was no communication between me and my coach,” Mayfield told ESPN. “When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was.”

When Mayfield did get back on the field, he didn’t know “how short the leash would be.” He started the last few games of the regular season, both losses.

Mayfield announced he’d transfer in December 2013.

He said Texas Tech hadn’t offered him a scholarship for the spring semester, which was fairly wild given the season he’d had. FBS teams get 85 scholarships, and managing them is tough, but Mayfield was an above-average starting QB. Kingsbury has denied that Mayfield wouldn’t have gotten a spring scholarship.

Future NFL pick Davis Webb had overtaken Mayfield on TTU’s roster, and Patrick Mahomes, an eventual first-rounder, would become TTU’s 2014 starter.

Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma. That got ugly.

There are two relevant rules to know here. One is the NCAA’s, and one is the Big 12’s. The NCAA’s says that players who transfer, if they haven’t already graduated, must sit out a year before returning to game action. That “academic year in residence” is a redshirt season, so players get an extra season tacked on at the end of their careers.

But the Big 12 has a rule that if players transfer within the conference, they lose that year of eligibility, in addition to having to sit out the season. That loss of eligibility could be waived by the player’s former school, but Tech denied Mayfield’s request to do that — and also, for a while, to let Oklahoma put Mayfield on scholarship.

Once Tech relented on that point, the NCAA let Oklahoma have an extra scholarship slot for Mayfield as he sat out 2014.

Mayfield didn’t do much in 2014, though he did get kicked out of a Lubbock restaurant while the Sooners were in town during the season:

The night before OU and Texas Tech played, he sat down for dinner at a Chimy’s restaurant. But, before he could finish his meal, he was approached by a restaurant worker and asked to leave.

Without putting up a fight, Mayfield exited the restaurant under a shower of boos.

“Besides eat my tacos and drink my water, I don’t think (I did anything to deserve it),” Mayfield said Tuesday, recalling the incident. “I didn’t want any trouble so I just walked happily out of there and went on.”

When Mayfield became eligible in 2015 and won the Sooners’ QB job in fall camp, he figured to only have two more years of eligibility. The 2016 season was supposed to be his last in college.

Somewhere around here, TCU head coach Gary Patterson spoke up for Texas Tech, accusing Mayfield’s dad of being a pain.

Just spoke with TCU coach Gary Patterson, who, while at practice for the Horned Frogs' Alamo Bowl match-up vs Oregon, called over the coach who recruited Mayfield, DC Chad Glasgow. "When did we tell Baker Mayfield he wasn't getting a scholarship?"

"First week of January," I heard Glasgow respond.

Patterson: "I like Baker Mayfield. I think he's a good kid and that's what disappoints me.

"If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that's fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn't offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker's dad [James]. He's an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father."

The Big 12 later tweaked its rule to prevent Mayfield from losing a year.

College administrators don’t usually pass rules to make it easier for players to transfer, but they did here. The Big 12 made a change to let some walk-ons transfer within the conference without losing eligibility. Mayfield’s case was covered, because he hadn’t received a written scholarship offer from Texas Tech:

Instead of allowing all walk-ons to transfer regardless, the reps amended the original proposal, allowing only walk-ons without written scholarship offers from their original schools to transfer without losing a season of eligibility. If the walk-on elected to transfer after being offered a scholarship from the original school, then the player would face the league's same eligibility restrictions that apply to scholarship players.

The amended proposal passed 7-3.

The Big 12’s rule change gave him a third year of playing time in Norman. Without it, continuing Mayfield’s college career into 2017 would’ve required him to be a graduate transfer outside of the conference.

And that’s how a star freshman QB at one Big 12 school goes on to be a three-year star at another Big 12 school, where he’ll probably crush his old team on Saturday.

At OU, Mayfield is 2-0 against Tech. Last year, he had 545 passing yards and seven touchdowns against the Red Raiders in a 66-59 barnburner.

Seriously doubt this guy get's drafted by us at 3. The more I read about him the more it seems like he falls out of the top 10.

I'll be the first to admit his persona, his highlights, and his history makes him all that much more intoxicating of a QB prospect. I'm impressed. However, it MUST be duly noted his arrival came out as a product of HARD WORK. Nobody gave his kid the keys to the kingdom, he had to earn it.

So I respect him that much more when I think about that. And in the end, I think his attitude fits right in with what a NYJ QB should be? The guy that's not afraid to take the bull by the horns and let the chips fall where they may. There's something to be said for that.

I've made up my mind. I think he's the very option Mac could possibly go with. All that nonsense about his bad behavior on/off the field? Is just that.... It's NONSENSE.

3 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

I'll be the first to admit his persona, his highlights, and his history makes him all that much more intoxicating of a QB prospect. I'm impressed. However, it MUST be duly noted his arrival came out as a product of HARD WORK. Nobody gave his kid the keys to the kingdom, he had to earn it.

So I respect him that much more when I think about that. And in the end, I think his attitude fits right in with what a NYJ QB should be? The guy that's not afraid to take the bull by the horns and let the chips fall where they may. There's something to be said for that.

I've made up my mind. I think he's the very option Mac could possibly go with. All that nonsense about his bad behavior on/off the field? Is just that.... It's NONSENSE.

There are 3 QBs at the top if the draft who believe in themselves, and one who others believe in. I just hope we get one of the former 3.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

There are 3 QBs at the top if the draft who believe in themselves, and one who others believe in. I just hope we get one of the former 3.

And if I'm selecting from those 3? I want the guy that EARNED everything he got. I'll take that guy every time....

19 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

The weird history of Baker Mayfield and Texas Tech

The Red Raiders found a diamond in a rough, then lost him to a conference opponent.

By Alex Kirshner@alex_kirshner  Updated SHARE

450103425.0.jpg&key=3c9c26572263eeeb2dc1eb8b4ae9666bed274b176d7efb0ebb0e01130ed1f9adPhoto by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

When the Texas Tech Red Raiders visit the Oklahoma Sooners on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN2), they’ll face a star quarterback who used to be theirs.

In 2013, Baker Mayfield walked on at Texas Tech and ascended rapidly.

Mayfield was a historic recruiting miss by almost the entire country. He was a low three-star on the 247Sports Composite, with his only listed offers from FAU, New Mexico, and Rice. Mayfield opted to pay his own way in Lubbock instead. Anticipated starter Michael Brewer was injured before the season, and Mayfield started to get things to fall into place for himself.

He was the first true freshman walk-on in FBS history to start a season opener at QB, we think. Mayfield won that game, 41-23 at SMU, and the next four games after that. On Oct. 5, he was 5-0 with nearly 1,500 yards and an efficiency rating near 150. He’d slipped into Kliff Kingsbury’s air-raid offense and was making it rain.

Mayfield got hurt and started to slide down Tech’s depth chart.

He’d been injured in a Week 5 win at Kansas. Tech won the next two games in his absence but then embarked on a five-game losing streak. Mayfield didn’t return until the third of those losses, to Kansas State on Nov. 9. He later said Kingsbury didn’t communicate with him while he was injured, and that he could’ve played sooner.

“When I got hurt, there was no communication between me and my coach,” Mayfield told ESPN. “When I got healthy, I didn’t know why I wasn’t playing right away. At that time, we were losing a couple games in a row. I was still clueless as to why I wasn’t playing. That was really frustrating for me because I started the first five games and we won. So, I just didn’t really know exactly what he was thinking or what the situation was.”

When Mayfield did get back on the field, he didn’t know “how short the leash would be.” He started the last few games of the regular season, both losses.

Mayfield announced he’d transfer in December 2013.

He said Texas Tech hadn’t offered him a scholarship for the spring semester, which was fairly wild given the season he’d had. FBS teams get 85 scholarships, and managing them is tough, but Mayfield was an above-average starting QB. Kingsbury has denied that Mayfield wouldn’t have gotten a spring scholarship.

Future NFL pick Davis Webb had overtaken Mayfield on TTU’s roster, and Patrick Mahomes, an eventual first-rounder, would become TTU’s 2014 starter.

Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma. That got ugly.

There are two relevant rules to know here. One is the NCAA’s, and one is the Big 12’s. The NCAA’s says that players who transfer, if they haven’t already graduated, must sit out a year before returning to game action. That “academic year in residence” is a redshirt season, so players get an extra season tacked on at the end of their careers.

But the Big 12 has a rule that if players transfer within the conference, they lose that year of eligibility, in addition to having to sit out the season. That loss of eligibility could be waived by the player’s former school, but Tech denied Mayfield’s request to do that — and also, for a while, to let Oklahoma put Mayfield on scholarship.

Once Tech relented on that point, the NCAA let Oklahoma have an extra scholarship slot for Mayfield as he sat out 2014.

Mayfield didn’t do much in 2014, though he did get kicked out of a Lubbock restaurant while the Sooners were in town during the season:

The night before OU and Texas Tech played, he sat down for dinner at a Chimy’s restaurant. But, before he could finish his meal, he was approached by a restaurant worker and asked to leave.

Without putting up a fight, Mayfield exited the restaurant under a shower of boos.

“Besides eat my tacos and drink my water, I don’t think (I did anything to deserve it),” Mayfield said Tuesday, recalling the incident. “I didn’t want any trouble so I just walked happily out of there and went on.”

When Mayfield became eligible in 2015 and won the Sooners’ QB job in fall camp, he figured to only have two more years of eligibility. The 2016 season was supposed to be his last in college.

Somewhere around here, TCU head coach Gary Patterson spoke up for Texas Tech, accusing Mayfield’s dad of being a pain.

Just spoke with TCU coach Gary Patterson, who, while at practice for the Horned Frogs' Alamo Bowl match-up vs Oregon, called over the coach who recruited Mayfield, DC Chad Glasgow. "When did we tell Baker Mayfield he wasn't getting a scholarship?"

"First week of January," I heard Glasgow respond.

Patterson: "I like Baker Mayfield. I think he's a good kid and that's what disappoints me.

"If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that's fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn't offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker's dad [James]. He's an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father."

The Big 12 later tweaked its rule to prevent Mayfield from losing a year.

College administrators don’t usually pass rules to make it easier for players to transfer, but they did here. The Big 12 made a change to let some walk-ons transfer within the conference without losing eligibility. Mayfield’s case was covered, because he hadn’t received a written scholarship offer from Texas Tech:

Instead of allowing all walk-ons to transfer regardless, the reps amended the original proposal, allowing only walk-ons without written scholarship offers from their original schools to transfer without losing a season of eligibility. If the walk-on elected to transfer after being offered a scholarship from the original school, then the player would face the league's same eligibility restrictions that apply to scholarship players.

The amended proposal passed 7-3.

The Big 12’s rule change gave him a third year of playing time in Norman. Without it, continuing Mayfield’s college career into 2017 would’ve required him to be a graduate transfer outside of the conference.

And that’s how a star freshman QB at one Big 12 school goes on to be a three-year star at another Big 12 school, where he’ll probably crush his old team on Saturday.

At OU, Mayfield is 2-0 against Tech. Last year, he had 545 passing yards and seven touchdowns against the Red Raiders in a 66-59 barnburner.

Taken from: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/28/16553176/baker-mayfield-texas-tech-transfer-oklahoma   Seriously doubt this guy get's drafted by us at 3. The more I read about him the more it seems like he falls out of the top 10.

Because why? He wanted a scholarship? Because his dad’s a dick? There is no chance he falls out of the top ten.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

In case you haven't seen it - as per PFF he's been elite under pressure as well...

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/pff-baker-mayfield-has-been-elite-when-under-pressure-this-season/t2hrjQVA1TXYZPknI1WKdM/

I did not know that. Thanks! Watching the games you do see how he helps his offensive line by being able to feel the pocket and leave the pocket when necessary. His 200 Rating isnt possible if he's only great in a clean pocket. There's no such thing as a QB not getting pressure. In order to be that efficient you have to be spectacular in a clean and broken down pocket. 

He's a good football player, you see it when he's dealing with pressure. I didn't know that he was 2nd best in the nation. Yet another thing that will be discredited by his height. :-) 

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

All I’m saying is that Mayfield at #6 would have been a very good pick. But at #3 I think it wasn’t worth the trade up for him. Again, just my opinion. 

If, he fell to 6. If not and all 4 top QBs were gone by 6, what then? This is calculated risk, although its pricey, its also cheap at same time. Seeing what Synder paid to move from 6 to 2 to grab RG3 this looks like the cheapest trade yet.

According to trade value chart it is expensive and lack of extra picks but in the end they need a QB. They weren't guaranteed one. Now its Guaranteed... Its that simple. 3 2nd rounders to Guarantee a Franchise QB is nothing. If not, they didn't give up future 1st rounders that would help them draft one in a future draft. It was necessary and calculated...

If the worst case scenario is a guy they should have had at 6 but had to give up draft picks to ensure they weren't leapfrogged to get is an awesome worst case scenario... Worst case sitting at 6 is Barkley and 4 QBs were already gone, then the Jets are going to draft who? Chubb, Fitzpatrick... 

Just now, Skeptable said:

If, he fell to 6. If not and all 4 top QBs were gone by 6, what then? This is calculated risk, although its pricey, its also cheap at same time. Seeing what Synder paid to move from 6 to 2 to grab RG3 this looks like the cheapest trade yet.

According to trade value chart it is expensive and lack of extra picks but in the end they need a QB. They weren't guaranteed one. Now its Guaranteed... Its that simple. 3 2nd rounders to Guarantee a Franchise QB is nothing. If not, they didn't give up future 1st rounders that would help them draft one in a future draft. It was necessary and calculated...

If the worst case scenario is a guy they should have had at 6 but had to give up draft picks to ensure they weren't leapfrogged to get is an awesome worst case scenario... Worst case sitting at 6 is Barkley and 4 QBs were already gone, then the Jets are going to draft who? Chubb, Fitzpatrick... 

let's face it, if we were still sitting there at #6, it's possible that buffalo or another team would have traded up with indy and then we'd be praying that 1 of the 4 qbs makes it to 6.  then, you could have the browns, giants, buffalo go qbs 1-3 and the jets would have to either trade with denver or pray they didn't take a qb.  it would have been a very tenuous situation, and shame on the jets if they couldn't get one of the top 4 prospects with that team all year.  so if they traded up for mayfield, great, let's hope they build an offense around him that can score a lot of points.  any way you cut it the trade was worth it, you have to be in it to win it.

38 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't get the "is this a healthy way to live" stuff. Uber competitive @$$holes who thrive off of perceived slights make the greatest athletes. It's a big part of why Brady and Rodgers have been so good.

You have to have the physical attributes to back it up, though.  Jordan was an ahole who held grudges, but he had the talent and physical tools to back it up.  Same with Brady and Rodgers.

Does Midget Mayfield?

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

You have to have the physical attributes to back it up, though.  Jordan was an ahole who held grudges, but he had the talent and physical tools to back it up.  Same with Brady and Rodgers.

Does Midget Mayfield?

I absolutely think so. The "midget" stuff is ridiculous. He's only an inch shorter than Rodgers, and he has every other attribute including a very good arm. Passing on him for a rocket armed stiff who's never been a good quarterback at any level would be a disaster, IMO.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I absolutely think so. The "midget" stuff is ridiculous. He's only an inch shorter than Rodgers, and he has every other attribute including a very good arm. Passing on him for a rocket armed stiff who's never been a good quarterback at any level would be a disaster, IMO.

Actually, Mayfield is 6' only and 214 lbs.  Rodgers at the combine measured in a 6'2" and 223 lbs.  Rodgers is also way more mobile than Mayfield.

Was Kellen Clemens small?  He measured at the combine at 6'1" and 224 lbs.

Size matters and it definitely goes into the calculus for QB evaluation.

16 minutes ago, SMC said:

Actually, Mayfield is 6' only and 214 lbs.  Rodgers at the combine measured in a 6'2" and 223 lbs.  Rodgers is also way more mobile than Mayfield.

Mayfield's height is 6 foot and 5/8. He's closer to 6'1 than 6 foot. So when he said he's a inch shorter than Rodgers thats prett much accurate.

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Mayfield's height is 6 foot and 5/8. He's closer to 6'1 than 6 foot. So when he said he's a inch shorter than Rodgers thats prett much accurate.

And Kellen Clemens' precise Combine height was 6'1 5/8", exactly an inch TALLER than Mayfield.  Again I ask, was Kellen Clemens short?

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Actually Mayfield is closer to 6'1 than 6'... If you want to make the "an inch and a half is everything" argument you can. Don't think it's accurate at all to say Rodgers is more mobile than Mayfield, let alone "way more mobile." Mayfield had a better three cone than Rodgers and the best 20 yard shuttle at the combine for his position, let alone the fact that he was notorious for scrambling while keeping his eyes downfield and making plays. Rodgers is a better overall athlete but Mayfield is very mobile.

I'm not sure what Clemens has to do with anything.

Of course size matters. But you know what matters more? Being a good football player. I'm not going to dismiss a very talented player because he's an inch an a half shorter than you'd like. Give me Mayfield over Allen any day of the week.

47 minutes ago, SMC said:

And Kellen Clemens' precise Combine height was 6'1 5/8", exactly an inch TALLER than Mayfield.  Again I ask, was Kellen Clemens short?

Well, the fact that kellen is also taller than your initial statement now makes both qbs taller than your original statement. Given that this is a game of inches i  would assume that's pretty substantial info.

You guys are making this a bigger deal than even the league. 

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Actually Mayfield is closer to 6'1 than 6'... If you want to make the "an inch and a half is everything" argument you can. Don't think it's accurate at all to say Rodgers is more mobile than Mayfield, let alone "way more mobile." Mayfield had a better three cone than Rodgers and the best 20 yard shuttle at the combine for his position, let alone the fact that he was notorious for scrambling while keeping his eyes downfield and making plays.

I'm not sure what Clemens has to do with anything.

Of course size matters. But you know what matters more? Being a good football player. I'm not going to dismiss a very talented player because he's an inch an a half shorter than you'd like. Give me Mayfield over Allen any day of the week.

Is being good at amateur football enough to overcome Mayfield's physical limitations in the pro game?  That's the question for me and I don't know the answer.  For that reason, I and many NFL talent evaluators, have Allen rated over Mayfield. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, the fact that kellen is also taller than your initial statement now makes both qbs taller than your original statement. Given that this is a game of inches i  would assume that's pretty substantial info.

You guys are making this a bigger deal than even the league. 

Actually, I'm not making it a bigger deal than the league.  The NFL has made it a big deal.  If they didn't, Mayfield would be the consensus No. 1 pick.  He's not.  Why is that? Because of his physical limitations.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Is being good at amateur football enough to overcome Mayfield's physical limitations in the pro game?  That's the question for me and I don't know the answer.  For that reason, I and many NFL talent evaluators, have Allen rated over Mayfield. 

It's certainly a legitimate question. As much as I personally like Mayfield he's far from a "sure thing." But I really think his physical limitations are overstated -- and I think his mental makeup (the most important quality for a QB, IMO) is exactly what you want in a QB. He's going to find a way -- betting against him is a mistake.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

He was measured at the combine at closer to 6'1" than 6 even (6 and 5/8).  You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

10 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

And if I'm selecting from those 3? I want the guy that EARNED everything he got. I'll take that guy every time....

1. I am a fan of Mayfield. 

2. You keep saying the above.  This implies that the other three didn't earn their way to where they are now. I have to disagree there.  Although they all come from unique backgrounds, all 4 of them worked there way to get where they are today.  The implication that this is only true of Mayfield is just ridiculous.  Starting QB positions at USC UCLA WYOMING are not gifted to people. 

36 minutes ago, SMC said:

Actually, I'm not making it a bigger deal than the league.  The NFL has made it a big deal.  If they didn't, Mayfield would be the consensus No. 1 pick.  He's not.  Why is that? Because of his physical limitations.

Actually, you're referring to the media. You nor anyone you know actually knows what any of these teams big boards look like. He wasnt even the height you initially claimed him to be...lets not forget that. 

Keep proving my point though. 

Archived