Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2018 at 9:30 AM, Adoni Beast said:

JORDAN punched Steve Kerr in the face during a practice. He also constantly lit into Bill Cartwright so bad, that he threatened to break Jordan’s legs. Jordan even still during his hall off fame speech spoke like a petty, self-absorbed sociopath with a chip on his shoulder.

I could care less if my FQB wants to win so bad that uses evert insult as fuel to win. I’ll take that over “drop my head and pout Sanchez” or any other personality we’ve had. I want guys who want to win as much as they want to breathe air.

Not sayinf Mayfield is my first choice, he’s not even close. But I love his passion and drive to succeed.

My favorite story was he called Will Perdue Will Vanderbilt.  Said he wasn't tough enough to be named a Big Ten team!   LOL

I don’t believe the NYJ traded up to #3 for Baker Mayfield. Nothing against him, I could see him be really good in this league with the right cast, system, and coaching. But with a top 3 pick, you usually want talent that can transcend the “perfect scenario.”  Case Keenum and Nick Foles lookes damn good in a perfect scenario. Neither of those guys are bad players, but they’re not top 3 picks you trade up for.

I like Mayfield, but the NYJ either have a pretty good idea Rosen is going to be there at 3, or have already decided to roll the dice on Allen’s ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

My favorite story was he called Will Perdue Will Vanderbilt.  Said he wasn't tough enough to be named a Big Ten team!   LOL

So many great/evil Jordan stories. They couldn’t draft young shooting guards because Jordan viewed it as an insult and he would physically abuse them in practice. You ask BJ Armstrong about playing with Jordan as a rookie and he gets this glazed-over PTSD look in his eyes to this very day

On 3/30/2018 at 4:49 PM, FidelioJet said:

oh, I would without hesitation - and I think that's almost certainly going to be the case.  Allen is going 1 or 2.

My big question is really Mayfield over Rosen.

Someone's going to fall hard for Allen. Big, smart, athletic, with a cannon. 235 pounds of elite QB clay. Someone who believes they can tap into his unlimited potential is going to race their card to the podium. I will not be surprised at all if he goes in the first two picks. The Allen hate and Mayfield love are both exaggerated here. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone's going to fall hard for Allen. Big, smart, athletic, with a cannon. 235 pounds of elite QB clay. Someone who believes they can tap into his unlimited potential is going to race their card to the podium. I will not be surprised at all if he goes in the first two picks. The Allen hate and Mayfield love are both exaggerated here. 

I think cleveland is having fun flirting with allen but darnold seems like a safer pick and they're going to go that route.  And increasingly i think the jets traded up for mayfield and Rosen, in that order, so they ensured they didn't have to take allen and face another big project.  I think mccagnan's goal is to get one of these qbs on the field sooner than later, because that is what will get him his next extension.  

7 minutes ago, slats said:

And to add to your point, lets say the average amount of passes per game is 32-35...

Most NFL teams regardless of system throw 5-6 screen/dump offs per game.Average of quick slants per game is about 4-5. The point here is you should give your QB about 10 “gimmes” per game, for rhythm, easy yards, etc. so now you’re down to 22-25 passes left.

Can your OC design 10-15 plays (or variations depending on opponent and gameplan) per game that your QB and offense know they can hit on a majority of the time? Bootlegs, crossing routes, out routes, pump and go’s, etc. These should all be complex designs with multiple targets and reads.

The rest of the throws are based off game situation. Are you running out the clock? Playing from behind? Etc. So those throws are situational.

In the end for a rookie QB who you are not expecting to master your system or dissect NFL defenses, this is how you manage that rookie year. 

Can you take mold of clay, put him him in good situations with high % play designs, before expanding the horizons in year 2? And I am not talking about Rex Ryan’s color code chart that he had for Mark Sanchez.

That is the antithesis, because he basically ran that offense like a high school scheme. If the defense looks confusing, just run it. If you’re 50-50, run or dump off, if you feel good and green throw the play call that had 1 target the entire time. There’s no learning there. 

These 10-15 plays per game I’m talking about that a rookie needs to master should all have multiple reads and targets, not “throw it deep to Braylon Edwards.”

I went off on a tangent. But to end this, if you feel you can get your guy to make those hard throws and complete those plays his rookie year, then you shold confident they can build off of that in the years following.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I agree with both of those comments -

I like both of them though -

Allen - I think his arm strentgh in todays NFL is best suited to hit guys that are "NFL Open".  Power throws in small windows.  I've seen him do it, can it be done consistently?

Baker - I'm more concerned with the spread offense concern than his height. we really don't know what he is.  but he has all the tools and intelligence...

If Allen's there we would be crazy to pass, his upside is a 15 year franchise QB that has you a SB threat every season.  him being that isn't all that hard to imagine. Allen's not getting past the Giants though.  

I would be excited for either one though!

I will say this one more time because folks keep saying it.  

Allen is nothing at all like Hackenberg.  

The first QB is still developing his skill set and has tremendous upside; while the later QB was a damaged QB when he came out, would not have been drafted in the first round if he came out today and did not have the arm talent of Allen whatsoever.  

IMO comparing Allen and Hack is totally disingenuous and if the Jets don’t take Allen because they are rating him like Hackenberg they are totally incompetent.  

Archived