Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

Just now, JiF said:

Sam Bradford

Yup, after sophomore year, when he was the consensus pick to be No. 1 with Stafford and JN favorite Mark Sanchez in the class.  In fact, he was so good, that he got hurt in the first game the next year, and still went No. 1 overall after a bad shoulder injury.  The injury robbed him off down field accuracy, and injury woes have followed him since.  

But both players played in essentially similar systems, and one was highly regarded because of his size, even with a major injury red flag, while Mayfield has the leadership question marks. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold isn’t making it past 2, and only makes it past 1 if the Browns take Josh Allen at 1. 

If that happens, NYG absolutely takes Darnold, leaving us with Rosen vs, Mayfield, to which I say Rosen by a mile.

Mayfield wins Mayfield vs. Allen options for me. Although, I wouldn’t hate taking Allen, he’s my 4th choice.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree.  

I agree.

If he is successful, I agree.

I agree.

Then again, I think the Board will asssplode no matter who we pic at #3.

Comedy pick:  Minkah Fitzpatrick at #3 (lol).  Would be great for forum traffic.

Last year when they picked Maye in the second, I couldn't log in here in a timely manner because of all the traffic, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

well there's no 2nd round pick to flip out about this year, so there's that.

They have the 3rd pick, the hot takes on that pick will last until August.  

Plus we'll have someone good drop, and the "why don't they package 2020's 2nd round pick with Hackenberg and the 3rd round pick to move up here?" crowd.  

A Manish article about how the team really wanted Mason Rudolph but owners stepped in.  

A random scout pounding the table for Harold Landry being the pick to replace Wilkerson.  

Watch, there will be a thread about Player A drafted in second round, MUCH BETTER than Maye, fire MACC!

I'm sorry, but I'm really pumped about this...

I don't know why as I've been pulling for Allen lately (it's always changing!) but this being the first true indication of who it might be has gotten me really excited. 

Would LOVE to have this kid come in here and turn around the entire momentum of the organization - bring positive energy and excitement back from day 1.  I'm not sure Rosen or Allen can do that.

He has the tools and is a fit for our offense.  He can start quickly. 

Just now, Grandy said:

Wait so what about reports of him being our #4?

What's the truth?

I like Baker, but I'll lose my sh*t if we traded 3 2nd rounders to get him even though we would've been there at 6.

The honest truth is.....nobody knows nothin. 

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Plus we'll have someone good drop, and the "why don't they package 2020's 2nd round pick with Hackenberg and the 3rd round pick to move up here?" crowd.  

Hack was a 2nd round pick, and with all that he must have learned from sitting on the sidelines, and not having to waste time putting on a uniform for game day, I think he'd be worth at least a 1st round pick.  In fact, reliable sources have told me that Indy wanted Hack, but Macc convinced them to take 3 2's instead...

18 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yup, after sophomore year, when he was the consensus pick to be No. 1 with Stafford and JN favorite Mark Sanchez in the class.  In fact, he was so good, that he got hurt in the first game the next year, and still went No. 1 overall after a bad shoulder injury.  The injury robbed him off down field accuracy, and injury woes have followed him since.  

But both players played in essentially similar systems, and one was highly regarded because of his size, even with a major injury red flag, while Mayfield has the leadership question marks. 

FWIW - i was new to JN back then and made 2 threads during that time 1 - Whatever you do, dont draft Sanchez.  2 - Trade everything for Matt Stafford  haha

I think you have a point about optics being Mayfield biggest knock and using an injured Qb as your point. Bradford certainly looked the part.  However, he also threw the ball a lot more which means he was asked to do more and when you see how well he took care of the ball, I think scouts liked that.  He also didnt play with near the talent on offense that Mayfield has.  I think only 2 players went to the NFL that Bradford played with on offense where when it's all said and done, Mayfield will have near a dozen, if not more.  Bradford also led his team to a National Champ game back when the Big 12 actually was a somewhat competitive league. 

All that said, Baker didnt have near the polish of Bradford IMO.  Bradford had smooth footwork, great delivery, nice placement, etc.  Mayfield is a bit more erratic from that perspective.  

Point taken though.  Still have nothing but nerves about taking a little QB from the Big 12 that doesnt really posses anything special other than his competitive spirit. 

37 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be happy with this if Rosen is gone but I have a hard time believing we traded those assets to move up for Baker Mayfield.

Yeah that would be most disappointing. We gave up 3 additional picks ! There's SO MUCH BS this time of year I don't believe anything.

13 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Bowles doesn't really answer reporters when questioned so all of a sudden is leaking info out there?  Nah

You're right he doesn't often answer questions.  But I don't know him to lie and, on occasion, he says things he shouldn't.

I'm inclinded to believe this - but that could just be wishful thinking!

19 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Wait so what about reports of him being our #4?

What's the truth?

I like Baker, but I'll lose my sh*t if we traded 3 2nd rounders to get him even though we would've been there at 6.

I think Denver likes him and he would not have been there at 6.  I'm okay taking him at 3 if Darnold is off the board.

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

It would really be funny if Bowles broadcasted the Jets interest in Mayfield and it was accurate.

It could certainly be on purpose - to cushion the impact on draft day - get the fans and media used to the idea - maybe build a little more excitement around this kid.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I think Denver likes him and he would not have been there at 6.  I'm okay taking him at 3 if Darnold is off the board.

If you think Denver likes him then he almost certainly wouldn't have been there at 6 as Denver drafts 5.

I don’t buy this story at all. Didn’t the Jets ask about trading up to #1?  There would’ve been no need if Baker was our guy. This story is (in my best guess) intentionally-leaked misdirection or an editor saying “we have nothing new to report today but we can’t say that so let’s promote  a rumor that people will make viral”. 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ask yourself this question. What benefit would it be for the Jets to let everyone know what QB they like.  A simple answer , there is none.

Yeah, but... it’s Baker Mayfield, the wild card of the top-4.  What’s the worst thing that can happen? Darnold, Rosen, or Allen drops?

Archived