Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ask yourself this question. What benefit would it be for the Jets to let everyone know what QB they like.  A simple answer , there is none.

Devils' advocate here...

What if the Jets really like Rosen and believe the Giants are considering Rosen but know Denver loves Mayfield.  Maybe they get Denver to panic, make a move up to two - so Denver takes Mayfield at 2 and the Jet get their man.

It's a reach and far fetched, but I'm trying!

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The honest truth is.....nobody knows nothin. 

Exactly. Imagine being a Broncos fan thinking you're in prime position to get Baker at 5 only to see him taken 3rd overall.

It takes one team to like him as well and to be picking ahead of you, such as Denver was before the jets trade up. No one knows who would be available where. I remember the mess that was the Bridgewater/Bortles draft. No one seen Bortles being drafted that high, but the biggest surprise was Bridgewater dropping to 32nd overall, and it would have been the 2nd round if not for the vikes trading vack into the first round. 

Ive posted a couple times that folkes shouldnt be surprised if he goes first overall. The only thing that keeps that thought from being more wide spread is less than 2 inches. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW - i was new to JN back then and made 2 threads during that time 1 - Whatever you do, dont draft Sanchez.  2 - Trade everything for Matt Stafford  haha

I think you have a point about optics being Mayfield biggest knock and using an injured Qb as your point. Bradford certainly looked the part.  However, he also threw the ball a lot more which means he was asked to do more and when you see how well he took care of the ball, I think scouts liked that.  He also didnt play with near the talent on offense that Mayfield has.  I think only 2 players went to the NFL that Bradford played with on offense where when it's all said and done, Mayfield will have near a dozen, if not more.  Bradford also led his team to a National Champ game back when the Big 12 actually was a somewhat competitive league. 

All that said, Baker didnt have near the polish of Bradford IMO.  Bradford had smooth footwork, great delivery, nice placement, etc.  Mayfield is a bit more erratic from that perspective.  

Point taken though.  Still have nothing but nerves about taking a little QB from the Big 12 that doesnt really posses anything special other than his competitive spirit. 

I wasn't that into scouting then, so I just listened to the usual guys on ESPN back then fawn over Sanchez's potential and how Stafford has one of the best arms in the country and all.  I didn't know much one way or the other, so I just waited for the pick.  

I think Bradford's big positive was that he really looked like a prototypical QB, with size and arm.  Unfortunately, size is usually associated with the ability to stay healthy under duress.  Unfortunately for him AC Joint injuries can rob arm strength down the road.  I believe Matt Barkley had the same injury as well.  

That Oklahoma team was pretty loaded, they had DeMarco Murray (a monster in college), Jermaine Gresham (another mismatch in college), Broyles and Iglesias (2nd and 3rd round picks respectively).  I don't know the offensive line though, so that might be a mystery. 

I think the biggest issue is really the spread system and how he'll transition from that to an NFL system.  The talent is there with the arm talent and accuracy, just depends on him being able to get acclimated to the NFL.  Geno had the same problem, and MM, was possibly the worst OC for it, because he ran a timing heavy system.  

I keep going back and forth on Rosen/Mayfield because it seems very similar to the Winston/Mariota comparisons from a few years ago.  Winston is the more natural pro-system type passer but issues concerning his turnovers and off the field issues.  In this case, Rosen's outspokenness is an issue.  Mayfield isn't the athlete that is Mariota, but I think he's a better passer, and teams are hesitant to have players run in the NFL anyway.  

It'll be an interesting month to see how the team goes.  

31 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I still think that they like Rosen more and will take him if he’s there. 

My guess is that their board is Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen

I think there is a bit of truth here, and a bit of bottom cover. 

The Jets likely traded up because they thought it was highly likely they get Rosen.  So rather than pay for a top 2 pick to get a top 2 player (in value), the Jets paid for a top 3 pick to hopefully get Rosen.

This may have woken up the Giants, among other teams, and they perhaps now think it less than completely certain that they get Rosen.  So by talking up Mayfield, if they end up getting Mayfield they look like winners.  

My guess is that, around the Jets War Room, ignoring Darnold, the Coaches like Mayfield, and the GM+ likes Rosen, then Allen, then Mayfield.  

I think Chris steps in and directs Rosen, then Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Last year when they picked Maye in the second, I couldn't log in here in a timely manner because of all the traffic, lol. 

You should've purchased a JetNation PSL.  I got in just fine.  Though parking was hella expensive.

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Devils' advocate here...

What if the Jets really like Rosen and believe the Giants are considering Rosen but know Denver loves Mayfield.  Maybe they get Denver to panic, make a move up to two - so Denver takes Mayfield at 2 and the Jet get their man.

It's a reach and far fetched, but I'm trying!

lol - credit granted for trying!  

I think if Darnold falls to 3 (which he won't) the Jets will take him. 

If our choice is between Rosen and Allen, my gut says we're taking Allen. 

If our choice is between Rosen and Mayfield, I feel pretty sure we're taking Rosen.

54 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don’t buy this story at all. Didn’t the Jets ask about trading up to #1?  There would’ve been no need if Baker was our guy. This story is (in my best guess) intentionally-leaked misdirection or an editor saying “we have nothing new to report today but we can’t say that so let’s promote  a rumor that people will make viral”. 

The story is a product of the draft being 30 days away and reporters know that stories about future Jets QB will get clicks. 

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Yup, after sophomore year, when he was the consensus pick to be No. 1 with Stafford and JN favorite Mark Sanchez in the class.  In fact, he was so good, that he got hurt in the first game the next year, and still went No. 1 overall after a bad shoulder injury.  The injury robbed him off down field accuracy, and injury woes have followed him since.  

But both players played in essentially similar systems, and one was highly regarded because of his size, even with a major injury red flag, while Mayfield has the leadership question marks. 

the thing too it's never been about bradford's qb ability.  it's always been about his ability to stay on the field injury free.

44 minutes ago, CTM said:

better than Allen, sign me up

What would be better is that Allen goes 1, Barkley goes 2, and with both Darnold and Rosen sitting there at 3, Macc chooses Mayfield.  That would be glorious.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

What would be better is that Allen goes 1, Barkley goes 2, and with both Darnold and Rosen sitting there at 3, Macc chooses Mayfield.  That would be glorious.

To be fair, nobody knows how these QBs will turn out.  But if we pass on Darnold I will not be happy.

2 hours ago, Grandy said:

Wait so what about reports of him being our #4?

What's the truth?

I like Baker, but I'll lose my sh*t if we traded 3 2nd rounders to get him even though we would've been there at 6.

If the Jets are okay with Mayfield or Allen, they had to move up to be sure to get their guy. No guarantee of anything at #6. The draft would have to come to them and they weren't going to take that chance with such a crucial, franchise-changing pick.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

If the Jets are okay with Mayfield or Allen, they had to move up to be sure to get their guy. No guarantee of anything at #6. The draft would have to come to them and they weren't going to take that chance with such a crucial, franchise-changing pick.

Blowing the load for 2nd tier QB's doesn't make a successful team.

Cool with me. Frankly, I think Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield will be good pros. (Hot take.)

Allen feels like Paxton Lynch who I called as a bust for very specific reasons. I think measurables are nice. Rather have a QB.

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

#6 and there may be no QBs left. All 4 could be gone. 

I wont lie though, the trade up looks a little like a panic move. Unless we’ve got 1 of the top 4 QBs rated really low. Allen is a project. Maybe Jets brass don’t see him as top 10. Hard to say. 

Just get us s guy who wins. Nobody will remember the cost.

Jets are insane to pass on Rosen. He’s the closest thing to Peyton Manning from style / technical standpoint you are going to find. The dudes father is a freaking surgeon. He’s got the arm, mechanics and brain.

Archived