Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Nope don’t remember that being the case at all in fact I remember everyone being shocked when we picked him. Just like no one had clue we would take Adams and Maye last year ..  I’ll give the jets credit there draft info do not leak out like that .. 

People were shocked we took him in R2, but it was widely reported that Mac was enamored with him. The league knew Mac wanted him. It was no secret.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

People were shocked we took him in R2, but it was widely reported that Mac was enamored with him. The league knew Mac wanted him. It was no secret.

The league corrrelated it because Mac was at Houston with  O'Brien who was PSU's HC when Hack was there.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t remember it being as cut and dry as you make seem . But like I said  jets are usually pretty good when it’s comes to keeping there draft info close to vest. This current subject with baker screams smokescreen to me . 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Perhaps .....

I am teacher and I just think that what we think of as being a "clown" yesterday is seen in an entirely different context by Millennials, and those are now the majority of the today's NFL players..... :) 

Not an English teacher though, right? I kid. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

The league corrrelated it because Mac was at Houston with  O'Brien who was PSU's HC when Hack was there.

Like I said, it was no secret. If you guys want to split hairs go for it. I’m not wrong.

Just now, Scoop24 said:

I don’t remember it being as cut and dry as you make seem . But like jets are usually pretty good when it’s comes to keeping there draft info close to vest. This current subject with baker screams smokescreen to me . 

Eh, everything should be taken as smokescreen for now. It’s common sense. Jets have historically telegraphed guys they like. They have no poker face.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, everything should be taken as smokescreen for now. It’s common sense. Jets have historically telegraphed guys they like. They have no poker face.

That’s news to me I haven’t seen anyone nail jets 1st rd pick based on what they hear in long time .. 

40 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

It's obvious to all that they didn't trade to get to number 3 for Baker Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield is WAY TOO SMALL to QB in the NFL.

BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK GOES the football

Bust

IN BOWLES WE TRUST

09E9031E-7CF2-44FC-805F-E6C03C405505.png

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Sometimes the best misdirection, is the one right in front of your face. 

200.gif&sp=503a416fc756ff1cb31ae2ea558a2

I don't see why the Jets need to be cute or engage in any misdirection. They pick third. They are fine with 3 QBs. Who cares if anyone knows who the 3 are? There are 3 QBs. The Jets pick 3d. Its all good. Might as well announce to the world that you like the 3d guy in your list -- Mayfield. It literally effects nothing.

And if anyone believes the Jets have Mayfield higher than Darnold and Rosen, I've got a bridge for sale.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This.  I could live with Baker Mayfield at #6.....but not at #3.

Pretty much 

I’m still not sold on Mayfield going in the Top 10 when all is said and done, but I wouldn’t have minded him at #6 assuming Darnold, Rosen and Allen were all gone.

But trading away 3 2nd round picks to move up for an undersized QB with maturity issues?

I’m not buying it.

Assuming Darnold goes #1, I’d say the odds are at least 80% that the Jets are walking away with either Rosen or Allen.

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yup, after sophomore year, when he was the consensus pick to be No. 1 with Stafford and JN favorite Mark Sanchez in the class.  In fact, he was so good, that he got hurt in the first game the next year, and still went No. 1 overall after a bad shoulder injury.  The injury robbed him off down field accuracy, and injury woes have followed him since.  

But both players played in essentially similar systems, and one was highly regarded because of his size, even with a major injury red flag, while Mayfield has the leadership question marks

what????

1 hour ago, BRONX DUDE said:

It's obvious to all that they didn't trade to get to number 3 for Baker Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield is WAY TOO SMALL to QB in the NFL.

Bust

IN BOWLES WE TRUST

Bowles just got thru saying that Baker isn’t too small if he can play..he can play.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.  I could live with Baker Mayfield at #6.....but not at #3.

With all due respect jetstream23, if Mayfield were to become the franchise qb of this team for the next 10-15 years, i don’t care what draft number he is.

So figured I would share this with everyone.  I still buy the Draft magazine from Lindy's as over the years I refer back to it mark down where each player goes during the draft.  While they have always given an NFL comparison to the draft prospect, this is the first year that they have made comparison's to former HOF players.  Here are their comparisons for the Top QB's:

1. Darnold= Hall of Famer Joe Montana
  2. Rosen=Hall of Famer Dan Morino
  3. Allen=Jake Locker
  4. Mayfield=Jeff Garcia
  5. Jackson=Hall of famer Fran Tarkenton

So, when I look at it from this Scouts point of view and you make comparisons like this, is there any question as to who you should not pass over.

He actually made quite a few very astute, intelligent remarks. Honestly, I didn't think he had it in him?

Remember when Jerricho Cotchery was drafted? Everyone saw this guy leave it on the field from the very second he stepped on it. Everyone was spending time trying to explain WHY he had slipped to the 4th round? Everyone pointed to his poor measurables at the combine and what not as the reason he slipped.

However, what was ultimately determined by everyone was that he had "football speed". He had a certain quality about him that could not be measured at a track meet. Well, everyone knows that Cotch was an excellent player for us that I think is still missed here today.

This is what I see with Baker Mayfield.

I see a kid that did something stupid in a college night out. How many HERE have ever had a stupid night out? Maybe done something stupid on that night out , but was a little luckier than Mayfield and didn't get caught?

I see a kid who may be short, but he's never let it stand in the way. I see a kid that, if not for his height, you'd be talking about the UNQUESTIONED number 1 pick in the draft. No debate whatsoever.

I think Mac should take the guy and run. Lets just hope Bowles isn't feeding some line of BS when he actually wants Josh Allen.

37 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

So figured I would share this with everyone.  I still buy the Draft magazine from Lindy's as over the years I refer back to it mark down where each player goes during the draft.  While they have always given an NFL comparison to the draft prospect, this is the first year that they have made comparison's to former HOF players.  Here are their comparisons for the Top QB's:

1. Darnold= Hall of Famer Joe Montana
  2. Rosen=Hall of Famer Dan Morino
  3. Allen=Jake Locker
  4. Mayfield=Jeff Garcia
  5. Jackson=Hall of famer Fran Tarkenton

So, when I look at it from this Scouts point of view and you make comparisons like this, is there any question as to who you should not pass over.

I'd be worried about being compared to Dan Morino. He runs a diner on I-95.

Posters are also forgetting if you have a guy in mind you go and get him and don't leave anything to chance. Everyone seems to THINK Mayfield MIGHT go later than 3? Who really knows? Does anyone? Do you know what Denver will do? You know sh*t and hence the reason to trade up and grab your guy makes all the sense in the world.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/75343/jets-scouting-whirlwind-four-quarterbacks-three-cities-and-6135-miles

"Allen, Darnold and Rosen have the kind of arm talent that makes scouts swoon, but don't dismiss Mayfield from the conversation. There's Mayfield/Jets buzz in the scouting community, enough to make me believe he's still in play with the third pick. This surprises me. As an undersized quarterback from a spread system, he doesn't seem to fit the Maccagnan profile of a classic pocket passer. But Mayfield is a winner with rare accuracy, and he has impressed the Jets' brass in their meetings."

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am a big Mayfield fan, but I don't see how you pick him over Rosen. What would Rosen's numbers have looked like this season if he was QB of the Sooners offense?

It's Darnold, Rosen, then Mayfield.

To be fair though, maybe we should ask that question both ways. What would Mayfield's numbers (and Win/Loss record) look like this season if he was the QB of the Bruins offense? 

Think about it. Mayfield threw almost double the amount of TD's in comparison to Rosen, yet Rosen threw double of the amount of INT's. Baker completed over 70% of his passes, yet Rosen completed just 62%. Of Mayfield's 70% comp rate, of the incompletions his receivers dropped 8% of his passes to Rosens incomplete passes only being 4% drops. Mayfield's Sooners led the NCAA in total offense, UCLA was #22. 

Put Mayfield on the Bruins, do you honestly believe that he's going to throw more INT's? Okay, I'll even meet you have way and say that he may not throw as many TD's, but do you honestly think that Josh Rosen in a Sooners offense is suddenly going to double his amount of TD's while cutting his INT's in half? Furthermore, do you think Rosen's comp rate is suddenly going to jump almost 10% so he can connect on over 70% of his passes? Furthermore, you honestly think that Mayfield's TD's is going to be cut by half? You think that his completion rate is suddenly doing to go out the window? Think about it, he'll be going to the bruins with a receiving corp that dropped less than half of the balls that they did at OKlahoma...yet Mayfield completed over 70% of his passes with that fact. Having a more reliable WR corp it terms of drops wont be a bad thing for Mayfield. Could that be a bad situation for Rosen though? Put Mayfield on UCLA, do you think that their offense would still be #22 or worse? Put Rosen on OU, are they still #1 in the NCAA?  Put Mayfield on UCLA, do the Bruins lose 6 games? Put Rosen on the OU, do they lose just 1 game? 

Rosen is good, but it's hard to say that he would replicate or do better than what Mayfield has done. 

Archived