Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/todd-bowles-just-stoked-all-the-baker-mayfield-to-jets-buzz/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Broadway Baker?

It sounds like it could happen.

There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft. Jets coach Todd Bowles furthered that thought Tuesday with some of his comments during an hour-long session with reporters.

While Bowles put on his best poker face when asked about the college quarterbacks, he dropped some clues that Mayfield may be the guy for the Jets.

Asked what he looks for when evaluating a college quarterback, he said, “Obviously, leadership, accuracy, toughness, intelligence.”

Who does that sound like?

Mayfield completed 70.5 percent of his passes, the highest percentage in the nation, for the Sooners on his way to the Heisman Trophy last season, is universally praised for his leadership skills and is viewed as a very smart quarterback who showed tenacity walking on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

The Jets have done their homework on Mayfield. They met with him at the Senior Bowl, the Scouting Combine and then attended his pro day and had a private workout with him on Saturday in Oklahoma. They also plan to have him visit their Florham Park headquarters along with the other top quarterback prospect

“You see it on the field,” Bowles said. “There’s not too much you’re going to get out of him at the combine in 15 minutes. You’ve got to ask all type of football questions. We’ll do our due diligence going forward. You see the player and you see the play and you know the guy can play football, and he’s a competitor.”

The word around the league meetings is the Jets love his leadership abilities. They see him as the player who could be their spark plug on offense, a player they can pair with last year’s first-round pick, Jamal Adams, their new leader on defense, for years.

The Jets are well aware that a rookie quarterback will face a different challenge coming to New York than a smaller market. There are people in the organization who saw Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith go through the meat grinder here. Mayfield is ultra confident and seems like he would be unfazed by the noise of New York.

“We’re looking for leadership, obviously confidence,” Bowles said. “It takes a different kind of guy to play in New York.”

When the Jets made the move up from No. 6 to No. 3 earlier this month, some (looking in the mirror) thought Mayfield may not be in the Jets’ plans because of his height. At just under 6-foot-1, he is not the prototypical size of an NFL quarterback and does not fit what general manager Mike Maccagnan has done in the past.But Bowles said measurables only matter so much.

“They’re important to a degree,” Bowles said. “Winning is more important. You just have to weigh the pluses and the minuses on that. Quarterback measurables are important. Defensive back measurables are important. There’s a height requirement there as well. There’s a height requirement for linebackers and defensive linemen.

“We have a list of things — do’s and don’ts and can’ts and won’ts — that we’ll do regardless of who it is. So, for me, barring a slot receiver, a slot corner or a returner maybe, everybody else damn well else better be above 5-8. So, there’s a requirement for a lot of things that we have. Some you measure the size versus the player. And some are definite no’s. And some you take a chance on.”

But isn’t it tough to play quarterback if you’re short?

“Russell Wilson will argue that,” Bowles said. “As well as Fran Tarkenton. As well as quite a few other guys. So you don’t know. If you can play, you can play.”

There are also some who see Mayfield as a character risk after an arrest last year and then some high-profile incidents on the field, like planting the flag midfield at Ohio State after the Sooners won.

“It’s college football,” Bowles said. “He’s an emotional guy. I’ve seen [Terrell Owens] do a lot of things. I’ve seen worse than that.

“Players get excited when they play. That’s kind of the way they are.”

Bowles said Jets fans approach him every day with suggestions of whom they should get at quarterback.

“I’ve heard bring Joe Namath back,” Bowles said with a laugh.

Broadway Joe is not walking through that door … but Broadway Baker just might.

5 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

With all due respect jetstream23, if Mayfield were to become the franchise qb of this team for the next 10-15 years, i don’t care what draft number he is.

True.

But if he doesn’t it hurts all the more that is cost three should-be-starter picks to go from 6 to 3 for a guy who could have still been there at 6 anyway.

8 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

It's obvious to all that they didn't trade to get to number 3 for Baker Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield is WAY TOO SMALL to QB in the NFL.

BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK GOES the football

BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK GOES the football

Bust

IN BOWLES WE TRUST

You just typed “BLOCK” more times than Mayfield has had passes batted at the line in the last two years. 

9 hours ago, King P said:

And? I don't see the problem with that.

Not everybody is a mindless sheep/drone who can't think for themselves ??‍♂️

There's a difference between being a mindless sheep/Drone and being a player that constantly challenges the order or direction of the coaching staff. It's one thing to question something for a level of understanding, but if that was the fact then this wouldnt be a discussion regarding Rosen. A person who is mindful and strong will'ed also knows how to follow direction, knows their place (responsibility) within the scheme of things. There is no insecurity from a strong-minded person who follows instead of leads. This is about what his own coach said about him, its about his interactions with folks like Trent Dilfer who has a wealth of experience to impart on him. Yet it was stated that Rosen was uncoachable at that time as a teen (Trent) and now Jim Mora publicly states that he has to have a particular coaching staff given his ways. Lets not sugarcoat that. 

Trent Dilfer publicly stated that "This is a guy (Rosen) who needs to understand that football is alot more than just the stuff he's recognized for". There always seems to be some sort of caveat with Josh Rosen, not from fans but from football minds who are close to Josh Rosen. Im not making that up. That shouldnt be disregarded and looked at as wanting someone to be a sheep or drone. This is about understanding that he's made a decision to play football, and that comes with dealing with others that also want to either play or manage and everyone has a particular role in that "we" team environment. Executing your role doesnt consist of constantly challenging others roles. 

I hope Rosen doesnt challenge his way out of an opportunities to be great by being hard to work with and a know-it-all. 

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Baker is IMO the best leader of the bunch. 

Mayfield may not have the upside of Allen, or throw the ball as well as Rosen, or be the "it" player like Darnold but Baker is going to be a success in the NFL, I believe you can bank on it.

I don’t know CB. What I’ve seen of him looks Manziel...sque. And I’m not talking off the field. His high percentage pass completion is due to a lot of dink and dunks. I haven’t seen much of him throwing into tight windows either. His receivers are many times wide open. If we get him we get him but he’s not in my top 3 personally. ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey guys, lets draft that kid from USC Sam Darnold given that he's coming from a team that's produced this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_USC_Trojans_starting_quarterbacks

Or we can draft Josh Rosen given that he's coming from a team that produced Troy Aikman...back in 1987. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-ucla-bruins-quarterbacks/ranker-college-football

#WorksBothWays

Draft the guy you believe can make your team better. That's what the Jets should be doing. 

People like villain kill Darnold because he went to USC yet look at the trash at qb the nfl has gotten from Baker Mayfield’s conference the Big 12:

Geno Smith

Vince Young

Bryce Petty

RG3

Sam Bradford

Josh Freeman

Landry Jones

All played in similar offensive systems to Mayfield (except Bradford) and all faced soft Big 12 defenses getting inflated numbers to include that all-important, all-Godlike pass completion percentage 

Then let’s look at air raid qbs in the nfl.  Same system Baker Mayfield got all his precious stats in:

Tim Couch

Johnny Manziel

Kevin Kolb

Geno Smith

Brandon Weeden

John Beck

Josh Heupel

Jared Lorenzen

Nick Foles is arguably the most successful qb and his biggest accomplishment was inheriting Carson Wentz’s team for about a month

5 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

With all due respect jetstream23, if Mayfield were to become the franchise qb of this team for the next 10-15 years, i don’t care what draft number he is.

I definitely agree with that. But that is a big “if.” No matter who we pick, if the guy becomes a franchise quarterback he would’ve been worth the #1 pick. 

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Undersized spread qb from a conference that has produced nothing but trash qbs with similar game last 15 years

here we go the next great Jets dark era

Love too hype quarterbacks from the football factory Mountain West Conference 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Love too hype quarterbacks from the football factory Mountain West Conference 

You’ll be bashing Mayfield once Mac passes on Rosenfor him.  Only this time that will be the mistake that finally gets Mike Macagnan fired

46 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Undersized spread qb from a conference that has produced nothing but trash qbs with similar game last 15 years

So you are saying that Baker does not have the same upside as the other guys?

get it?

upside?

I've been saying it all offseason, the NFL wants Baker in NY. The ratings boost and interest around the game will sky rocket with Broadway Baker. I'm 100% fine with it because I believe in Baker, I do think Darnold and Rosen go 1-2. No way we make the jump to 3 without liking 3 QBs.

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Then let’s look at air raid qbs in the nfl.  Same system Baker Mayfield got all his precious stats in:

Tim Couch

Johnny Manziel

Kevin Kolb

Geno Smith

Brandon Weeden

John Beck

Josh Heupel

Jared Lorenzen

Nick Foles is arguably the most successful qb and his biggest accomplishment was inheriting Carson Wentz’s team for about a month

You forgot Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Case Keenum and the beloved Patrick Mahomes. 

And that Same Nick Foles was an MVP candidate and a past probowl MVP just a couple years back. As usual, you conveniently omit those guys who will dismantle your pathetic rant.

And in 4 playoff games Foles has thrown 8 TD's, 1 INT, completed over 70% of his passes, thrown for over 1,200 yards, has become a SB Champion, SB MVP and has a RAT of over 110. 

So yea, that may be "Wentz team" but please, pull up Wentz playoff stats for me and let me know how they stack up. 

source.gif

As opposed to what?

USC QB’s that have succeeded so much in the NFL

Or small school QB’s with 56 completion %

Or a QB with a long injury history dating back to HS, including multiple concussions - with a reputation for being uncoachable

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As opposed to what?

USC QB’s that have succeeded so much in the NFL

Or small school QB’s with 56 completion %

Or a QB with a long injury history dating back to HS, including multiple concussions - with a reputation for being uncoachable

Precisely. Most QBs strike out in the big leagues. You can find examples of QBs that flopped from every conceivable background.

Pretty much 
I’m still not sold on Mayfield going in the Top 10 when all is said and done, but I wouldn’t have minded him at #6

But trading away 3 2nd round picks to move up for an undersized QB with maturity issues?
I’m not buying it.

I keep hearing this but taking Mayfield at 6 vs. 3 - why does that matter.

You either believe he can be a franchise QB or you don’t.
If the Jets believe he’s the best QB on the board at 3 you think they should take someone else because he’s taller?

But at 6 it’s okay even though he’s short?

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You forgot Derek Carr, Jared Goff, Case Keenum and the beloved Patrick Mahomes. 

And that Same Nick Foles was an MVP candidate and a past probowl MVP just a couple years back. As usual, you conveniently omit those guys who will dismantle your pathetic rant.

And in 4 playoff games Foles has thrown 8 TD's, 1 INT, completed over 70% of his passes, thrown for over 1,200 yards, has become a SB Champion, SB MVP and has a RAT of over 110. 

So yea, that may be "Wentz team" but please, pull up Wentz playoff stats for me and let me know how they stack up. 

source.gif

They're all taller than Mayfield

I don't see why the Jets need to be cute or engage in any misdirection. They pick third. They are fine with 3 QBs. Who cares if anyone knows who the 3 are? There are 3 QBs. The Jets pick 3d. Its all good. Might as well announce to the world that you like the 3d guy in your list -- Mayfield. It literally effects nothing.
And if anyone believes the Jets have Mayfield higher than Darnold and Rosen, I've got a bridge for sale.

I think it’s likely the Jets have Darnold at the top of the board but wouldn’t be shocked one bit of they have Mayfield higher than Rosen.

I wouldn’t touch Rosen with a 10 foot pole. Just too big of a risk that he’ll be on IR more than on the field.

53 minutes ago, jgb said:

Won't be Mayfield. He isn't going #3. Allen or Rosen basically 95% chance.

I wouldn't dismiss it. In a lot of ways, Mayfield might be the safest choice for the Jets. Between him, Rosen and Allen, he may have the lowest ceiling but he may also have the highest floor. Allen is the ultimate boom or bust guy, and Rosen's concussions and/or, let's say, personality issues could derail him. Mayfield produced in college and definitely has the right disposition to QB the NYJ. Mac likes the safe pick. 

Archived