Brian Costello: "There has been heavy buzz here at the NFL league meetings that the Jets love Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and he is whom they want with the third pick in next month’s draft"

Jetsbb

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, slats said:

I wouldn't dismiss it. In a lot of ways, Mayfield might be the safest choice for the Jets. Between him, Rosen and Allen, he may have the lowest ceiling but he may also have the highest floor. Allen is the ultimate boom or bust guy, and Rosen's concussions and/or, let's say, personality issues could derail him. Mayfield produced in college and definitely has the right disposition to QB the NYJ. Mac likes the safe pick. 

I believe there is a 5% chance we take Mayfield. Hope I am wrong as I prefer Mayfield. Everything we know of Macc screams metrics. Although, maybe he's self-reflective enough to pull a George Costanza and become anti-Macc during the draft.

Years of disappointment, poor management, crappy rosters, GM's and coaches, have soured Jets fans to the point where they (including myself) will pick apart just about everything they do and find a way to extract a negative from a positive.

All four of the top QB's in the draft have flaws.  None are perfect, can't miss prospects.  However, the fact that the Jets finally showed some guts and traded up to presumably draft one of the top 3 QB's is the most exciting thing that has happened to this franchise in a very long time.  I will be happy with whoever they pick and hope to hell that they choose wisely. 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I believe there is a 5% chance we take Mayfield. Hope I am wrong as I prefer Mayfield. Everything we know of Macc screams metrics. Although, maybe he's self-reflective enough to pull a George Costanza and become anti-Macc during the draft.

I'm hoping he's learned something from the Hackenberg selection and his subsequent "development" to avoid another unfinished product in Allen - especially at the top of the draft. And I could see Rosen turning the Jets front office off in interviews, with Bowles potentially being intimidated by him, while I think Mayfield would charm the pants off of them. 

But we've got another month of speculation to play with. I can talk myself into or out of every one of these guys. 

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I keep hearing this but taking Mayfield at 6 vs. 3 - why does that matter.

You either believe he can be a franchise QB or you don’t.
If the Jets believe he’s the best QB on the board at 3 you think they should take someone else because he’s taller?

But at 6 it’s okay even though he’s short?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Because we just gave up our 2nd rounders for the next two years to move up.

I said I’d be okay with Mayfield had we stayed at #6, kept those 3 2nd rounders, and all 3 of Darnold/Rosen/Allen were off the board.

Obviously picking #3, at least one of those guys is bound to be there. And every last one of them possesses a higher ceiling than Mayfield.

The Jets try to be classy, and they do not talk about everything that goes on.

But reading between the lines, I would say that Idzik was given a lot of latitude that Woody regretted. 

When MacBowles was brought in, I think Woody was very involved in 2015 and 2016.  Short-term splash was the priority  

I think Woody was distracted in 2017 and left MacBowles to their own devices.  Everything they did was to keep themselves employed and not necessarily make the Jets better in the long term.

I think Chris is very involved now.  Not that he is a football genius, but he will question anything these guys do. Mac has been neutered.   The Hack pick is a huge red flag that will not be repeated. 

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I said I’d be okay with Mayfield had we stayed at #6, kept those 3 2nd rounders, and all 3 of Darnold/Rosen/Allen were off the board.

Obviously picking #3, at least one of those guys is bound to be there. And every last one of them possesses a higher ceiling than Mayfield.

We will see, but in a league where Mitch Trubisky is drafted 2 after a trade up and teams pay big money to McCown, Osweiler, Glennon and Bortles., it is reasonable to believe that at least 3 QBs would get picked before 6, and that the one remaining would be Allen.  I think the tradeup was Allen avoidance. 

I don't see how we would tell the whole NFL what QB we want. I have no problem with us taking Baker. I just don't understand why you would say it publicly, without it being a smokescreen. I don't think Baker would be there at 6, the Fins love him and I can see them trading up to get him. They don't have faith in Tannehill's knee. 

Without picking Hackenberg, I think our fan base would be much more comfortable taking Allen. What people forget about Hack leading up to the draft is that EVERYBODY was saying he’s a huge project at best, to not even deserving to be drafted. No one is saying that about Allen. Scouts, media, coaches in college and pros love this kid.

People were ducking Hackeneberg like the plague. Its not the same scenario.

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.  I could live with Baker Mayfield at #6.....but not at #3.

Not sure I understand that.  If he's a star at 3, nobody will remember, or care about the trade up.  If he's a bust at 3, Macc would be just as fired if he was a bust at 6

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Without picking Hackenberg, I think our fan base would be much more comfortable taking Allen. What people forget about Hack leading up to the draft is that EVERYBODY was saying he’s a huge project at best, to not even deserving to be drafted. No one is saying that about Allen. Scouts, media, coaches in college and pros love this kid.

Hack has poisoned the minds of Jets fans

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

this is why jet fans have a much more jaded opinion of allen than other fan bases and the nfl scouting community.  it also seems like he's improved his footwork more in a few months than hack has in two + years.

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it’s likely the Jets have Darnold at the top of the board but wouldn’t be shocked one bit of they have Mayfield higher than Rosen.

I wouldn’t touch Rosen with a 10 foot pole. Just too big of a risk that he’ll be on IR more than on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's a lot like me and Allen. When there is something about a guy's game that scares you off, there is not a whole lot anyone can do to convince you otherwise. I totally get that you would be scared off of Rosen by his injury history just like I am frightened by Allen's inability to throw timing patterns and to basically do well against bad opponents.

Anyway, just like people try to talk me off of my fear of Allen, I thought I'd give a shot with Rosen for you. Even if I don't change you mind perhaps it will at least ease the pain some if the Jet's choose Rosen. Here it is. Rosen weighed in at 226lbs at the combine. The only QB's two weigh more were the taller Rudolph (235) and Allen (237). So perhaps the stories of Rosen's slight frame are overblown. As to injuries, he had a serious shoulder injury on a big hit, but has played through many injuries and played well.  As to the concussions ... he missed two games because he was in the concussion protocol. It's a new world. Once you are even suspected as having suffered a concussion, odds are you will be held out the next game. He never missed more than one game due to a concussion. His symptoms were not debilitating. Read up on Sidney Crosby's concussion symptoms when he missed so much time over 2 seasons. I'd be scared off of Rosen if he was missing extended time due to concussions, but he did not. He missed 2 individual games. This is what football is in today's world when it comes to concussion protocol.

Finally, much like the QB experts plan on "fixing" Josh Allen, why can't they train Josh Rosen not to hold the ball so long and to give himself up like when Tom Brady hits the deck to avoid a D lineman hit? It seems like the stuff that makes up Rosen's risk factor are far more fixable than Allen's.

Anyway, if the Jets select Mayfield over Rosen, I'd be OK with that. I'm OK with any of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. However,  I may have to be placed on suicide watch if the pick Allen.

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm hoping he's learned something from the Hackenberg selection and his subsequent "development" to avoid another unfinished product in Allen - especially at the top of the draft. And I could see Rosen turning the Jets front office off in interviews, with Bowles potentially being intimidated by him, while I think Mayfield would charm the pants off of them. 

But we've got another month of speculation to play with. I can talk myself into or out of every one of these guys. 

Allen is like a mystery box. Inside is either Carson Wentz or Christian Hackenberg. A team who already has an old franchise QB like the Giants are better suited for a guy like Allen. He is going to be one of those QBs who blossoms later in career like Rich Gannon. MaccBowles wouldn't even be around if they had to wait for their 3rd overall pick to blossom. 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Undersized spread qb from a conference that has produced nothing but trash qbs with similar game last 15 years

here we go the next great Jets dark era

Not an expert,  but Mayfield was pretty impressive beating Ohio State in their building. Pretty good conference.  Darnold, not so much.   

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty much. If we had drafted Manziel, these same fans would want no part of Mayfield. There are even some fans that don't like Darnold because he reminds them too much of Sanchez (USC). 

Ironically these are the same people who pounded the table for Paxton Lynch and were screaming for Wilkerson to get an extension 2 years ago

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not an expert,  but Mayfield was pretty impressive beating Ohio State in their building. Pretty good conference.  Darnold, not so much.   

Manziel beat Alabama and won the Heisman as a freshman why not give him a shot?

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

People say as long as we get Rosen or Baker they’re fine. 

Wonder how the feeling would be if Jets took Baker over Rosen. I’d be pretty pissed. 

Because there doesn't seem to be a unanimous opinion towards this (the closest we've gotten to is that we dont want them to take Allen, and even that has softened of late); somebody on draft night is going to be pissed

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

So what your saying is - If Mac likes Mayfield better than the other 2 - he's simply wrong.  I

I'm coming at this from the position that there wasn't going to be one of those 4 at 6 (or certainly Mac couldn't make the assumption that one would fall) and Mac should take who he thinks will be the best - PERIOD. regardless of where it is or what you gave up.

I don't know which one of these guys will be the best NFL QB but Mayfield's chances to be are as good as the others - they all have flaws - and they can all be great.  at least IMO

22 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

People say as long as we get Rosen or Baker they’re fine. 

Wonder how the feeling would be if Jets took Baker over Rosen. I’d be pretty pissed. 

It is all over the place...I would be pissed the other way around - if it's between Baker or Rosen - Baker needs to be the pick.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

So what your saying is - If Mac likes Mayfield better than the other 2 - he's simply wrong.  I

I'm coming at this from the position that there wasn't going to be one of those 4 at 6 (or certainly Mac couldn't make the assumption that one would fall) and Mac should take who he thinks will be the best - PERIOD. regardless of where it is or what you gave up.

I don't know which one of these guys will be the best NFL QB but Mayfield's chances to be are as good as the others - they all have flaws - and they can all be great.  at least IMO

In my opinion, Allen would really be bucking the odds if he turns out to be great (not having been great in college) but it certainly could happen.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

this is why jet fans have a much more jaded opinion of allen than other fan bases and the nfl scouting community.  it also seems like he's improved his footwork more in a few months than hack has in two + years.

Agreed. And at some point we have to stop blaming Christian Hackeneberg. If he was drafted where everyone thought he should be 4th round, - 6th round, no one would care how bad he is.  Thats more on Big Mac.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I wouldn't dismiss it. In a lot of ways, Mayfield might be the safest choice for the Jets. Between him, Rosen and Allen, he may have the lowest ceiling but he may also have the highest floor. Allen is the ultimate boom or bust guy, and Rosen's concussions and/or, let's say, personality issues could derail him. Mayfield produced in college and definitely has the right disposition to QB the NYJ. Mac likes the safe pick. 

I think this is a really interesting point.  Let's assume Mac does think Mayfield has the lowest floor (I tend to agree with that assessment)

People like to look at Hack and Petty as what Mac likes in a QB - but what about what he likes with his 1st round picks? He hasn't gone for the homerun but rather the safe choice.  I think Mayfield gives you a little bit of both.

Any QB drafted is a crap-shoot, esepcially with these 3 - but trying to mitigate the risk by going with the a guy you believe to have the lowest floor does fit Mac's MO...

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Contrary to a lot of thought out there Mayfield would Not have been there @ 6...  

This will be the first time, in the 1st round we see what it looks like for Macc to go after a player he wants. The others were all opportunistic choices. 

Previous moves by Macc to go after he wanted (or traded up): Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Marcus Maye

Other signature selections include: Darron Lee, Ardarius Stewart

Conclusion: Not good.

He's at his best when he's not making decisions, and the choice is obvious. I'm hoping this #3 is a blend of two, trade up to get into a spot where you don't have to make a choice; ie. Josh Rosen.... Mayfield would great as well, but that would be mean he would have to want Mayfield, and his track record says he wants Allen in that scenario.  

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This.  I could live with Baker Mayfield at #6.....but not at #3.

In the end you were not guaranteed Mayfield at 6.... Now its a guarantee or the possibility of Rosen. Jets sit at #6 get leapfrogged by Bills or Miami and this whole fanbase would be going insane... why could we have traded up... Now that they have to guarantee one of their 2 guys and people are complaining??? Idiotic.

Bowles on Rosen: “Like all of them coming out, we know he can throw the football,” Bowles said at the NFL Annual Meeting. “We know that he can throw the football and he’s a good prospect. So that’s about as far as I can tell you.”

Breaking: Josh Rosen can throw the football. DRAFT THIS BEAST.

What I really like about Mayfield’s game is how quickly he processes whats happening. He makes quick decisions (a lot of times improvised so I’m not talking about 3 yard slants) and accurate throws.

Also, his deep ball accuracy is really in a league of its own.

Potential issues I have are: 

How much was his play a product of his OL? Can he produce without having an OL that dominates each game?

Can he see and scan the MIDDLE of the field at his height taking snaps from under center (something tyrod taylor has had a problem with). 

Reports are saying his football IQ and classroom work is blowing away teams. To me thats the final straw basically, and something none of us will see or know, how well he does in class. 

Archived