Would you do this trade with Denver?

majf

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Boom. Two 2nds. No conditions. Let them take who they want, let CLE trade out their pick for the other. 

The Jets absolutely have to be okay with more than one prospect to make the trade up to #3 in the first place. 

This trade would carry a net cost of one 2nd round pick to move up from #6 to #5, and that’s the pick we got from Sheldon. 

#execoftheyear

Agreed. They want the #3 pick ? Pay for it. 2 second round picks or nothing. If they pass on it, f#@& em , and we pick who we want. They need us more than we need them.

5 hours ago, majf said:

Let's assume Cleveland takes Josh Allen with #1 and the Giants take Barkley (or Chubb) with #2. Let's also assume that wherever they had Allen on their draft board, the next two QBs on the Jets board are Rosen and Darnold (not necessarily in that order). Now Denver comes and offers #5 and their 2nd round pick (#40) to move up to #3. Let's also assume that they promise to take Baker Mayfield with that pick (and not to trade the pick to anyone else). Do you do that?

On the one hand, you will have traded three 2nd round picks (and got back only one 2nd round pick) essentially to move up one spot. On the other hand, you get one of the guys you would have targeted at #3 and get a 2nd round pick to boot.

The scenario is not outside the realm of reasonable possibility and make explain why the Jets interest in Mayfield is being puffed up.

In this scenario neither Rosen or Darnold go int he first 3 picks? If that is the case you stay at 3 and take Darnold.

5 hours ago, majf said:

Let's assume Cleveland takes Josh Allen with #1 and the Giants take Barkley (or Chubb) with #2. Let's also assume that wherever they had Allen on their draft board, the next two QBs on the Jets board are Rosen and Darnold (not necessarily in that order). Now Denver comes and offers #5 and their 2nd round pick (#40) to move up to #3. Let's also assume that they promise to take Baker Mayfield with that pick (and not to trade the pick to anyone else). Do you do that?

On the one hand, you will have traded three 2nd round picks (and got back only one 2nd round pick) essentially to move up one spot. On the other hand, you get one of the guys you would have targeted at #3 and get a 2nd round pick to boot.

The scenario is not outside the realm of reasonable possibility and make explain why the Jets interest in Mayfield is being puffed up.

We haven't had our own true FQB since the late 1960s and you want to get cute with the pic? Never in a million years. You must be under 20 and haven't had to endure what we have or you would never have suggested it, even if it is tongue in cheek.

35 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

We haven't had our own true FQB since the late 1960s and you want to get cute with the pic? Never in a million years. You must be under 20 and haven't had to endure what we have or you would never have suggested it, even if it is tongue in cheek.

First of all, I was in high school when the Jets won SB III, so there's a good chance I've endured at least as much as you have.

Secondly, I only posed a question. I did not suggest what the answer should be. I have every expectation that the Jets front office is working through a number of draft day scenarios and the one I posed is one possible scenario. Is it unreasonable to think the Browns might take Allen with the first pick? Is it unreasonable to think the Giants might give Eli another couple of years and take a high impact non-quarterback at #2? And if the Jets have Darnold and Rosen ranked above Mayfield, and they get a call offering a fairly high 2nd round pick, and what they give up is the possibility they will no longer be able to choose between those two QBs, and only be able to take the one that is left, so they do it? I was just asking folks to play GM for a moment. If the two QBs are rated very close to each other, do you not at least consider it?

Archived