Predict their NYJ rookie season

RESNewYork

There is so much discussion on who is the best QB prospect is. Would like to hear opinions of how your favorite rookie QB, or all the prospects will do if drafted by the NYJ. Obviously take in to consideration the current NYJ roster. Can your favorite prospect beat out McCown and a healthy Bridgewater and start the season, or have to sit initially, or the whole year? How does the QB room shake out? What kind of numbers is he going to put up in Bates' system, behind the Jet O line, and throwing to our current group of skill positions players? Do you see that player leading us to more wins that 17 or a playoff birth? 

Just curious if anyone has actually thought about how their favorite prospect would look like playing for the NYJ

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

There is so much discussion on who is the best QB prospect is. Would like to hear opinions of how your favorite rookie QB, or all the prospects will do if drafted by the NYJ. Obviously take in to consideration the current NYJ roster. Can your favorite prospect beat out McCown and a healthy Bridgewater and start the season, or have to sit initially, or the whole year? How does the QB room shake out? What kind of numbers is he going to put up in Bates' system, behind the Jet O line, and throwing to our current group of skill positions players? Do you see that player leading us to more wins that 17 or a playoff birth? 

Just curious if anyone has actually thought about how their favorite prospect would look like playing for the NYJ

The way the QB situation is shaking out for the Jets I don't see any rookie coming in and winning the starting gig. I think Petty will be cut. 

I think McCown will win the starting job and IF HEALTHY Teddy will be the backup and the rookie will be 3rd in line. If Hack is PS eligible he will be on PS. If Teddy is not healthy or has a set back in camp they may put him on IR and elevate the rookie to backup while bringing Hack up to #3. 

There's a slight chance that Teddy comes out on fire and beats out McCown, but unlikely. There is ZERO chance that the rookie QB wins out the starting job- IMO. Well, barring multiple injuries. 

As far as the rest of the season, it's going to be hard for the rookie to even get playing time. He will have to #1 show that he is ready, #2 McCown will need to get hurt or really stink it up, #3 Teddy will need to get hurt or really stink it up. Even then, Hack could be a wildcard.  

In other words, don't be surprised if the rookie sits most of the season. Even if its Rosen, who is very much NFL ready- IMO.  

I don't think any of the rookies win the starting job coming out of camp... And I'm ok with that.

In my (non expert) opinion the offensive line is going to struggle this year with the guys currently in place. I'd rather not watch the 3rd pick in the draft lost all confidence because he has no time to throw and is constantly getting buried into the ground... I'd rather run out an experienced QB who is more accustomed to dealing with that kind of thing until the OL looks better. 

But who knows. Maybe they pick up a strong guard or tackle in the 3rd round and the unit comes together? 

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Prediction for Jets rookies? All of them will be on the bench until/unless starter(s) get injured. 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Since the First Round will be a QB, Knowing Mac's history of drafting, I doubt any of the later round picks will see the field this year. QB will definitely sit... The only chance we get any starters is cast-offs or UDFAs.

Darnold- starts from week 2 on, averaging 25 ints a season for 4 years until we decide to start over again 

Rosen- gets another concussion in the preseason that lingers for 2 years until he retires 

Allen- Bowles stashes him away for 2 years and he’s never heard from again

Darnold - Starts week 5, some high points, some low goes 5-6. Season declared inconclusive

Rosen -  Starts week 1 Goes 6-5 Gets concussion week 12 done for year. Everybody holds their breath for 6 months (jets go 1-3 in remaining games)

Mayfield - Starts week 9 (Jets 4-4) Looks good goes 4-3 missing one game (say week 10) after getting banged up scrambling.

Allen -  Starts week 9. In Namathesque fashion throws 4 touchdowns some games and 3 picks in others. After the 3 INT games JN server explodes from "I told you so" posts.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

There is no good reason why Hack should be here.  He is not NFL caliber and no one is going to trade for him.  Baker will thrive in the WCO.

Agreed. Don't waste a PS spot for him. Just jettison his arse.

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Since the First Round will be a QB, Knowing Mac's history of drafting, I doubt any of the later round picks will see the field this year. QB will definitely sit... The only chance we get any starters is cast-offs or UDFAs.

Well expect our highest pick (after #3 overall) to be at best the middle of round 3, and perhaps later in that round, after he trades down to recoup a draft pick or two.

I'd expect - or more correctly, I'd hope - it depends on who's there for us with our original 3rd rounder, and we don't bypass say a guard, TE, or WR who fell from an expected draft slot at ~50, due to other needs and perceived value being there for each team at that time (and the second run on QBs getting overdrafted). Hopefully he'd pounce on that instead of trading down anyway just so he could pick up an extra late 4th rounder. 

The one thing I'm not worried about, and he shouldn't be worried about, with all the future cap space plus a starting QB locked in for the upcoming 4 seasons at only ~$7m/year - is picking up an extra mid-rounder. Those picks can (and should) be easily replaced via free agency, if he could get more players interested in taking the Johnsons' highest-bid money. If the players there are just meh (or if the best ones by far are at ILB-S-QB).

But since I half expect a trade-down in some convoluted endeavor to balance out the trade up, there's a good chance we won't see those rookies on the field for a while. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Darnold- starts from week 2 on, averaging 25 ints a season for 4 years until we decide to start over again 

Rosen- gets another concussion in the preseason that lingers for 2 years until he retires 

Allen- Bowles stashes him away for 2 years and he’s never heard from again

Man that’s some throw the glass against the wall and smash it shit right there. 

5 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

There is no good reason why Hack should be here.  He is not NFL caliber and no one is going to trade for him.  Baker will thrive in the WCO.

you're presupposing that bridgewater will make the grade.  i can see hack being launched if bridgewater looks promising.

5 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

No, I have not. I will after we select on Draft Day however. 

Archived