Was Bowles’ “smokescreen” secretly brilliant?

Greenseed4

The best smokescreens are the ones you don’t see coming—like when the Bears sign a bunch of QBs (Glennon & Sanchez) and then trade up from 3 to 2 to draft Trubisky, or when the Eagles sign a bunch of QBs (Bradford & Daniels) and then trade up from 8 to 2 to draft Wentz. 

What if... Todd Bowles isn’t as dumb as he looks and sounds?

What if... The Browns really do have their QB faves down to two (Darnold, Allen)?

What if... Bowles weird “6-7 guys” comment isn’t a “smokescreen” at all, but a huge Front Page Ad that the Jets will trade back from #3 to #4 cause the guy they (really, really) want will still be there? 

What if... The Jets are baiting the Browns into taking the RB at #1 overall because if they then trade with us, one of their top-2 QBs will still be there at #3.  Because Math. 

**We could be setting the stage to recoup a high second round pick, and then some**

21 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The best smokescreens are the ones you don’t see coming—like when the Bears sign a bunch of QBs (Glennon & Sanchez) and then trade up from 3 to 2 to draft Trubisky, or when the Eagles sign a bunch of QBs (Bradford & Daniels) and then trade up from 8 to 2 to draft Wentz. 

What if... The Browns really do have their QB faves down to two (Darnold, Allen)?

What if... Bowles weird “6-7 guys” comment isn’t a “smokescreen” at all, but a huge Front Page Ad that the Jets will trade back from #3 to #4 cause the guy they (really, really) want will still be there? 

What if... The Jets are baiting the Browns into taking the RB at #1 overall because if they then trade with us, one of their top-2 QBs will still be there at #3.  Because Math. 

**We could be setting the stage to recoup a high second round pick, and then some**

Lol no

33 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

27 days...

38 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Browns have zero fear the Jets will take the player they want at 3, or trade out WHEN they select their hand picked QB at 1 overall, it’s the Giants they are concerned with, and if they want to secure their top 2 players they would call the Giants, and swap with them, and IF the Giants are not taking a QB, or Barkley then that’s the trade for both teams to make, BUT the Giants are not doing jack sh*t until the Browns hand in that card because if it’s not Darnold they are staying put, and drafting Darnold I’d bet the farm on it.

The Browns CAN’T trade with the Jets because if the draft goes Darnold Allen they are screwed, Rosen has stated he won’t play there bluff, or not I believe he is off their board, and the Browns QB board from the sounds of it is Darnold Allen 1A 1B everyone else.

Also I am of the opinion that Todd Bowles, AND Mike Macc won’t have the final say on which QB the Jets draft, I think this is an ownership decision in the end, and they will use the scouting reports, but whichever kid impresses Johnson the most during private visits will be the Jets pick IMO, probably Allen then Rosen if I had to guess.  For some reason the Jets have not scheduled a private visit, or workout yet with Darnold, either ultimate smoke screen, known fact Browns already made up their minds, or stupidity.

Bowles is frustratingly honest 

The simple fact is the Jets just finished the scouting process and probably do have 6 prospects they like 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the order changes several times in the next 2 weeks 

I don't think it was a smokescreen 

I think people assume nfl teams are run by fans who get their opinions from mock drafts 

At the end of the day, they traded up to get a QB. 

Anything can still happen, someone could get "tunsiled" on draft day 

The Jets could swap with the giants 

Who knows? 

10 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Okay, we need to start a "what do we talk about in the month prior to the draft?" thread. In regards to this post:

"What if... Todd Bowles isn’t as dumb as he looks and sounds?"

1. Todd Bowles is, in fact, as dumb as he looks and sounds. Three seasons have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"What if... The Browns really do have their QB faves down to two (Darnold, Allen)?"

2. Who cares who the Browns pick? Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are the top QBs, and we are guaranteed to get one of them with the #3 pick. 

"What if... Bowles weird “6-7 guys” comment isn’t a “smokescreen” at all, but a huge Front Page Ad that the Jets will trade back from #3 to #4 cause the guy they (really, really) want will still be there?" 

3. Why would we trade up to the #3 spot and then turn around and trade down in the same draft? That was just one of Bowles' typically stupid and nonsensical comments. 

"What if... The Jets are baiting the Browns into taking the RB at #1 overall because if they then trade with us, one of their top-2 QBs will still be there at #3."

4. See point #3. We gave up our 2 second rounders, and we don't want to give up a first rounder next season, so we really have nothing left to trade up with.

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bowles is frustratingly honest 

The simple fact is the Jets just finished the scouting process and probably do have 6 prospects they like 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the order changes several times in the next 2 weeks 

I don't think it was a smokescreen 

I think people assume nfl teams are run by fans who get their opinions from mock drafts 

At the end of the day, they traded up to get a QB. 

Anything can still happen, someone could get "tunsiled" on draft day 

The Jets could swap with the giants 

Who knows? 

I think Bowles honestly thinks there is 6-7 guys HE will want to draft at 3, and probably thinks he can try, and pound the table for those 6-7 defenders he wants at 3, and get his way for a 4th straight draft, yes that is how dumb Bowles is.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

No

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Browns have zero fear the Jets will take the player they want at 3, or trade out WHEN they select their hand picked QB at 1 overall, it’s the Giants they are concerned with, and if they want to secure their top 2 players they would call the Giants, and swap with them, and IF the Giants are not taking a QB, or Barkley then that’s the trade for both teams to make, BUT the Giants are not doing jack sh*t until the Browns hand in that card because if it’s not Darnold they are staying put, and drafting Darnold I’d bet the farm on it.

The Browns CAN’T trade with the Jets because if the draft goes Darnold Allen they are screwed, Rosen has stated he won’t play there bluff, or not I believe he is off their board, and the Browns QB board from the sounds of it is Darnold Allen 1A 1B everyone else.

You’re looking at it backwards. Drafting Barkley at 1, and then their QB at 3, means they’ll still get one of their top 2 QBs, and it will cost less than moving to #2.

22 minutes ago, C Mart said:

27 days...

This won't matter . These folks have been making blanket statement about folks intelligence based on their limited knowledge for years . I have a hard enough time being smart enough to do what I have to on a daily basis, so imagine how insane I would be if I thought I could do everyone else's job before than them because I thought I was smarter than them .  

9 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Okay, we need to start a "what do we talk about in the month prior to the draft?" thread. In regards to this post:

"What if... Todd Bowles isn’t as dumb as he looks and sounds?"

1. Todd Bowles is, in fact, as dumb as he looks. Three seasons has proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"What if... The Browns really do have their QB faves down to two (Darnold, Allen)?"

2. Who cares who the Browns pick? Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are the top QBs, and we are guaranteed to get one of them with the #3 pick. 

"What if... Bowles weird “6-7 guys” comment isn’t a “smokescreen” at all, but a huge Front Page Ad that the Jets will trade back from #3 to #4 cause the guy they (really, really) want will still be there?" 

3. Why would we trade up to the #3 spot and then turn around and trade down in the same draft? That was just one of Bowles' typically stupid and nonsensical comments. 

"What if... The Jets are baiting the Browns into taking the RB at #1 overall because if they then trade with us, one of their top-2 QBs will still be there at #3."

4. See point #3. We gave up our 2 second rounders, and we don't want to give up a first rounder next season, so we really have nothing left to trade up with.

We’d be trading down. From 3 to 4.

and getting back picks. 

Why trade up? To get one of the top-3. If we propose this trade with the Browns and they go RB at 1...

wait for it...

we still get a top-3 QB. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

We’d be trading down. From 3 to 4.

and getting back picks. 

Why trade up? To get one of the top-3. If we propose this trade with the Browns and they go RB at 1...

wait for it...

we still get a top-3 QB. 

What if the Browns then trade back out?

What a mess. 

Here's an interesting scenario . Since nobody actually knows for sue who will be drafted with the 1st 2 picks, could it be possible that the 6-7 guys Bowles speaks of includes 4 QBs, a RB, an Edge rusher and maybe an OG ?

All 6-7 of those prospects could be available at 3 hypothetically .

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Here's an interesting scenario . Since nobody actually knows for sue who will be drafted with the 1st 2 picks, could it be possible that the 6-7 guys Bowles speaks of includes 4 QBs, a RB, an Edge rusher and maybe an OG ?

All 6-7 of those prospects could be available at 3 hypothetically .

No... but 5 of them could be DBs.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

once you trade up you don't trade back down 

you lose too much on each exchange

it would be like going to the airport, trading all your dollars for euros and then trading them back to dollars. 

Except you don’t lose value on the trade down exchange. 

I get it. It’s not common. But neither is trading up before pro days. Our goal was to get into the top-4, as long as we stay there, there is nothing wrong with recouping value. 

Perhaps a different angle. 

If the Browns are targeting one of Darnold or Allen, and they also want a “HOF generational RB” what draft slots do they need to secure to ensure getting both targets?

If the Jets want to ensure a top-3 QB, and a non-QB gets drafted at #1 overall, what slot do they need?

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Also I am of the opinion that Todd Bowles, AND Mike Macc won’t have the final say on which QB the Jets draft, I think this is an ownership decision in the end, and they will use the scouting reports, but whichever kid impresses Johnson the most during private visits will be the Jets pick IMO, probably Allen then Rosen if I had to guess.  For some reason the Jets have not scheduled a private visit, or workout yet with Darnold, either ultimate smoke screen, known fact Browns already made up their minds, or stupidity.

There is a chance that the Darnold camp is just not scheduling visits and workouts with anyone beyond browns and Giants.  Is there any evidence that Darnold has worked out for other teams like buffalo?

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Perhaps a different angle. 

If the Browns are targeting one of Darnold or Allen, and they also want a “HOF generational RB” what draft slots do they need to secure to ensure getting both targets?

If the Jets want to ensure a top-3 QB, and a non-QB gets drafted at #1 overall, what slot do they need?

Archived