Was Bowles’ “smokescreen” secretly brilliant?

Greenseed4

Two years ago the Jets front office telegraphed that they were very interested in Christian Hackenberg as a prospect. None of us were surprised even if some of us were confounded/pissed by the second round draft pick

Last year word got out that the Jets were not going qb, they were going to give Hackenberg another year to redeem himself. The Jets go double safety, Christian Hackenberg exhales.

This year a weather ballon goes up that the Jets are really interested in Baker Mayfield. The chances of him being there are three are high. If the Jets go Mayfield it will be clear that they don't believe in being secretive about their choices. If they don't go Mayfield maybe they have learned to plug the damn leaks.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Except you don’t lose value on the trade down exchange. 

I get it. It’s not common. But neither is trading up before pro days. Our goal was to get into the top-4, as long as we stay there, there is nothing wrong with recouping value. 

the value is lost in the trade up 

they aren't getting a high 1 and 3 2nds for the trade down

accepting anything less means they got boned

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the value is lost in the trade up 

they aren't getting a high 1 and 3 2nds for the trade down

accepting anything less means they got boned

They got boned, yes. According to the chart, we tossed in a freebie 2nd rounder. All the more reason to recoup some value by sliding back to 4. 

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

The best smokescreens are the ones you don’t see coming—like when the Bears sign a bunch of QBs (Glennon & Sanchez) and then trade up from 3 to 2 to draft Trubisky, or when the Eagles sign a bunch of QBs (Bradford & Daniels) and then trade up from 8 to 2 to draft Wentz. 

What if... Todd Bowles isn’t as dumb as he looks and sounds?

What if... The Browns really do have their QB faves down to two (Darnold, Allen)?

What if... Bowles weird “6-7 guys” comment isn’t a “smokescreen” at all, but a huge Front Page Ad that the Jets will trade back from #3 to #4 cause the guy they (really, really) want will still be there? 

What if... The Jets are baiting the Browns into taking the RB at #1 overall because if they then trade with us, one of their top-2 QBs will still be there at #3.  Because Math. 

**We could be setting the stage to recoup a high second round pick, and then some**

If they take Barkley at #1 it will be a win for us. No trade down necessary. That will leave us with Darnold or Rosen.

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

They got boned, yes. According to the chart, we tossed in a freebie 2nd rounder. All the more reason to recoup some value by sliding back to 4. 

there's different charts, Harvard, Jimmy Johnson etc. 

but bottom line they cannot recoup enough value when they are losing the value of the 3 pick. 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think Bowles honestly thinks there is 6-7 guys HE will want to draft at 3, and probably thinks he can try, and pound the table for those 6-7 defenders he wants at 3, and get his way for a 4th straight draft, yes that is how dumb Bowles is.

I feel bad for whichever QB the Browns pick. DeShone Kiser could have been a good QB if he sat on the bench for his rookie year. Everyone knew he had potential but was very raw. Now, his career is pretty much ruined. Before that there was Johnny Manziel who drank because he realized he was was drafted by Cleveland. I want Darnold to have a good career, so I hope he isn't drafted by the Browns.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Bowles is frustratingly honest 

The simple fact is the Jets just finished the scouting process and probably do have 6 prospects they like 

I don't think it was a smokescreen 

I agree.  I think Todd was actually just being honest.  No smokescreen.  

27 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

If they take Barkley at #1 it will be a win for us. No trade down necessary. That will leave us with Darnold or Rosen.

True. But if we’re “comfortable” with 3  QBs, and by all accounts we are...and if it goes Barkley, Darnold, Allen...

...we have Mayfield/Rosen to choose from, AND a 2nd round pick. 

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's different charts, Harvard, Jimmy Johnson etc. 

but bottom line they cannot recoup enough value when they are losing the value of the 3 pick. 

Huh? The value associated with the pick becomes the player selected with that pick. If we draft Rosen or Mayfield at 3, or at 4 (and get a 2nd rounder tossed in), what’s the difference?  

(It’s the second round pick)

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Why would the Browns trade up from 4 to 3, then trade back out? 

To get a better deal.

We would not trade with a team that might take our QB so we are hypothetically trading on the cheap with Cleveland.

Cleveland then hypothetically screws us over by trading our spot for next years first, maybe to Denver and they still get Barkley.

Basically I'm saying if you're going to start this convoluted exercise we may as well take it all the way to it's conclusion. 

Well by watching Bowles for 3 years now he appears to be a slow plodding poor excuse for a head coach. He seems to have little or no personality and he coaches too conservatively for today's NFL. I think he's stuck in the 1980's when you could win football games by the score of 14-7 by playing good defense and having 2 good offensive drives a game. Well today's game is a little different. The thing is he can't be all that stupid - he's making a ton of money as a head coach of an NFL football team and he's still on the job after 3 disappointing seasons. A moron can't accomplish these things right? Lol. So what is Bowles?

Archived