Jets sign RB RAWLS... Backfield overhaul complete

Paradis

Thomas Rawls - RB - Jets

Jets signed RB Thomas Rawls, formerly of the Seahawks.

Rawls burst onto the scene with an impressive rookie season in 2015 but has been hampered by injuries and ineffectiveness since then. The 24-year-old isn't a lock to make the team out of training camp but if Rawls does crack the 53-man roster, he'll likely be fighting for scraps behind Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell.
Related: Seahawks

I was a fan of Rawls couple years ago, as a defunct Michigan back (coincidentally we signed a defunct Florida back in Crowell as well) -- and am pleased to see that we've added youth and talent over age and "veteran presence"... I'm not sure Rawls body is going to hold up, but between our 3 backs (bye McGuire) we should have a consistent production.

Consider this a move as result of losing both 2nd round picks. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I was a fan of Rawls couple years ago, as a defunct Michigan back (coincidentally we signed a defunct Florida back in Crowell as well) -- and am pleased to see that we've added youth and talent over age and "veteran presence"... I'm not sure Rawls body is going to hold up, but between our 3 backs (bye McGuire) we should have a consistent production.

What is with the Florida reference?  Crowell is a defunct Georgia back.

Dude had some back injury luck the past couple seasons, but in general he's an every-down capable RB. The use of cap space for RB depth meets with my approval, since we used draft capital to secure a top 3 pick. 

I love the depth at RB in this particular draft, but not more than having a franchise QB. 

Powell may become trade bait now. Crowell, Rawls and McGuire is all we need. If we could net a 5th or 6th for Powell I'd be content with that.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

What is with the Florida reference?  Crowell is a defunct Georgia back.

right, my bad. Him and Janoris Jenkins get crossed in my head, school wise. both got tossed around the same time if memory serves...  That and like half the FCS tranfers are fallen gators :P

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Mcguire isn't going anywhere. 

he wont make it out of camp IMO. I liked his college game but the guy looked overmatched last year. 

Draft prediction -- we take late COP back like Chase Edmonds, and lose cut 2/4 backs presently on the roster by september. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Getting rid of powell in favor of this guy would be dumbfuggery at its best.  Maccagnan and bowles, just adore sh*tty injury prone broken down backs who walk in here collect some pay cheques and get dumped.

You in American territory, boy.

We don't use dat fancy spelling.

We call them checks. ;)

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

sad.  He sucks.

25 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So in a deep RB class we're signing FA's, ug.  :( 

Guess they feel they got other needs they gotta use those picks on .  Crowell,Rawls,Powell,McGuire not one burner in the mix .. kinda wish we would of got McKinnon now .

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sounds like we were after a little distributive justice with this signing.

Just a little philosophy joke there for you guys.

I can show myself out thanks.

If you were behind the veil of ignorance, you'd have known better

19 minutes ago, 19andOhWait said:

guess we're not drafting a RB

darn

Mac LOVES to trade back to recoup picks. I won't be surprised if he trades back from our 3rd rounder to move back 15 spots and net another 4th or 5th round pick; it's his style. 

He did it 3 times in the '17 draft. Last year he traded back 9 spots w/Minn in the 3rd from 70th (Pat Elflein C) to 79th and acquired the 160th pick in the 4th round. Then with Tampa netting a 6th & finally swapping 5ths w/Cleveland & a 7th rounder  netting 2 6th rounders.

We'll draft a RB that drops between the 4-7th round 

Archived