Jets sign RB RAWLS... Backfield overhaul complete

Paradis

The Bates/Dennison/Shanahan offense, historically,  HAS NOT & DOES NOT place a premium on RBs. 

While I do agree the Jets should keep bolstering their RB depth chart with young talent through the draft, the Jets 2018 offense - of the limited sample size there is to view on Bates' play calling -  & its respective OL Zone-Blocking scheme indicates the Jets may not prioritize the RB as highly in THIS CURRENT offense. Mac will more likely fish for a RB that drops in the later rounds and who's style "fits" the new offensive scheme.

The Jets current RB group isn't headline material, but it's serviceable and can produce big plays if they adapt well into this Shanahan-esque WCO.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rawl's can stay healthy hes and explosive RB that can really jump start an offense.

I think MAcc did a fantastic Job getting this unit ready for the season we have 4 very good backs with the possibility 2 of them could turn out as top RB's in Rawls and Crowell if they are used right they can stay fresh and if somehow this team makes the playoffs we can go with the hot hand and its not a bad deal having Powell, Crowell, and Rawls all who have shown they can take over a game when they are hot

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:blink:

:unsure:

-_-

Thats a good Bunch War 3 of those backs have had very impressive streaks only thing holding back Rawls and Powell were injuries sometimes they get past it. Im hoping Rawls emerges the guy was a beast a few years ago

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Bates/Dennison/Shanahan offense, historically,  HAS NOT & DOES NOT place a premium on RBs. 

While I do agree the Jets should keep bolstering their RB depth chart with young talent through the draft, the Jets 2018 offense - of the limited sample size there is to view on Bates' play calling -  & its respective OL Zone-Blocking scheme indicates the Jets may not prioritize the RB as highly in THIS CURRENT offense. Mac will more likely fish for a RB that drops in the later rounds and who's style "fits" the new offensive scheme.

The Jets current RB group isn't headline material, but it's serviceable and can produce big plays if they adapt well into this Shanahan-esque WCO.

It’s always only “serviceable” at best. Took Freeman McNeil 37 years ago, and I thought he was great, but never a home run hitter.

How come this team can never have a play maker?  Anywhere? Other teams do.

Now we’ll get a tiny QB who was one in the Big 12, but most likely not in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

It’s always only “serviceable” at best. Took Freeman McNeil 37 years ago, and I thought he was great, but never a home run hitter.

How come this team can never have a play maker?  Anywhere? Other teams do.

Now we’ll get a tiny QB who was one in the Big 12, but most likely not in the NFL.

The Jets HAVE had playmakers, it's just that their talents were never properly developed, let alone utilized under the Jets and ONLY became EVIDENT once they LEFT the NY Jets:

WR/KOR - Terence Mathis

WR - Tony Martin

QB - Jeff Blake

WR - Laverneus Coles: Left at Peak to WAS only to be traded BACK to Jets and merely be Hard-Nosed

WR - Santana Moss: Injury prone Speed demon w/Jets traded to Redskins for Coles & then becomes All Pro in Washington

RB - LaMont Jordan. Rotted on bench behind CuMar

WR/RB/KOR - Danny Woodhead. Was cut for WR David Clowney

That's just on offense, Then there's James Hasty on KC . . . 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Jets HAVE had playmakers, it's just that their talents were never properly developed, let alone utilized under the Jets and ONLY became EVIDENT once they LEFT the NY Jets:

WR/KOR - Terence Mathis

WR - Tony Martin

QB - Jeff Blake

WR - Laverneus Coles: Left at Peak to WAS only to be traded BACK to Jets and merely be Hard-Nosed

WR - Santana Moss: Injury prone Speed demon w/Jets traded to Redskins for Coles & then becomes All Pro in Washington

RB - LaMont Jordan. Rotted on bench behind CuMar

WR/RB/KOR - Danny Woodhead. Was cut for WR David Clowney

That's just on offense, Then there's James Hasty on KC . . . 

That's not much of a "List" of "playmakers" over the last 37 years.  Everyone on it, at best, is a couple notches above JAG classification.

But lets put this argument aside, you do make a great point when you state "their talents were never properly developed", and I agree.  Would you say that the SAME situation exists STILL today?  I would.

Not only is their this dolt of a scared "GM", you have a "scared" head coach down on the field, who will kick a FG in the 4th QTR so his resume shows that he lost by 27 Points rather than 30.  He also will never ever play a kid when he has a Vet, just like the GM, he protects himself with built in excuses..."well he's making all this money, he has done it in the past...not my fault".

So how the hell can any young player "develop" with people like this running the show?

How do you feel about these same people decided the NY Jets fate for the next 5-7 YEARS with Pick #3, when in all likelihood, the whole lot of them will be fired by next year?  Made great sense for ownership to "keep the continuity", right? 

Just have to hope the Jets get incredibly lucky on Draft day, because if they do hit their pick at #3...I doubt it will be due to competance, when looking at Maccagnan's last 3 years of drafting....most likely will be Allen or Mayfield.

9 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bama backs seem to be a bust.

Penny from SDSU scares me because he has a lot of yardage on his tires

Freeman had a knee injury last year

Johnson also had a bad injury and played with it in the SEC title game

Walton had an ankle injury too

Ballage is more of a between the tackles runner

Edmonds seems to be okay. 

Penny career stats: having a lot of Yardage & Not a lot of Carries IS a GOOD thing...

3 hours ago, darkprime said:

Let Powell be the veteran presence.

I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY DISAGREE with this opinion/write-up:

Making the case for the Jets to trade Bilal Powell

The New York Jets added yet another running back via free agency. They might very well consider trading Bilal Powell due to a crowded situation and to at least get one more pick heading to the 2018 NFL Draft.

In case you missed it, the New York Jets signed another running back via free agency in Thomas Rawls. While it didn’t make sense at the time that they acquired a running back that is mostly known for being hurt, perhaps there was a greater meaning in the grand scheme of things.

Could the Jets consider trading away running back Bilal Powell in order to perhaps gain another draft pick in the 2018 NFL Draft? At this point in time besides Powell, the Jets have Isaiah CrowellElijah McGuire, and Rawls. Yes, the depth at running back is good to a degree but maybe trading Powell to get another pick in this year’s draft wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Think about it for a moment. Besides being underutilized on offense, perhaps a reason why the Jets don’t give Powell starting duties is due to the fact that he tends to get injured more often than not. Having played for seven years now in the NFL and combined with the fact that Powell will turn 30-years-old in late October, means now is as good a time as ever to see if teams are interested in trading for his services.

Ideally, it would make sense for the Jets to trade Powell to at least get a mid or late round pick in this year’s draft. At this point in time, the Jets have six picks heading into April and having one more would be in line with what the majority of teams have in their arsenal.

It’s hard to predict what the Jets could get in return for trading Powell as it’s unlikely they’d get anything higher than a third-round pick. Either way, it would make sense to trade Powell now considering that the Jets will probably not give him starting duties yet again and likely have Crowell be on top of the depth chart for next season.

Crowell is younger, has made more of an impact in his career statistically, and can also be a dual-threat running back coming out of the backfield as an eligible receiver. McGuire should be able to get more reps this upcoming season, likely to play in a backup/rotational role. If Rawls can prove to be healthy, he might be worth keeping around and it would also make sense for the Jets to draft another running back to continue adding youth to the positional group.

If the Jets are going to have another season of not using Powell to his potential or if they feel he’s going to continue being a liability in missing playing time due to injury, it’s best they trade him for a draft pick and move on.

Powell is entering the last year of his contract as he’s set to be an unrestricted free agent in 2019. Now would be the best time to trade him if the Jets want to at least get one more pick for this year’s draft. While it would be a shame to see him go, as always, the NFL is a business and nothing personal. The Jets are set at running back without Powell and if they can replace him on the roster with a newly drafted player in the positional group, it’ll be what is best as the franchise continues to rebuild for a bright future.

Powell is a Pro's Pro and I think Bowles and the FO value him quite highly as a NY Jet since he's been resigned twice by this regime. I think he's worth keeping as a veteran locker room presence at a position that ALWAYS has injuries and requires solid depth. 

17 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

This guy is such a JAG. Why even bother?  Did McGuire get diagnosed with something?

Wait, are you saying the teams #4 RB is JAG?  Excellent point, if there was ever a position that you should put resources into its that vital 4th RB spot.

Rawls is a great depth signing and hopefully we keep him, crowell, powell and McGuire which would be a great group

36 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY DISAGREE with this opinion/write-up:

Making the case for the Jets to trade Bilal Powell

The New York Jets added yet another running back via free agency. They might very well consider trading Bilal Powell due to a crowded situation and to at least get one more pick heading to the 2018 NFL Draft.

In case you missed it, the New York Jets signed another running back via free agency in Thomas Rawls. While it didn’t make sense at the time that they acquired a running back that is mostly known for being hurt, perhaps there was a greater meaning in the grand scheme of things.

Could the Jets consider trading away running back Bilal Powell in order to perhaps gain another draft pick in the 2018 NFL Draft? At this point in time besides Powell, the Jets have Isaiah CrowellElijah McGuire, and Rawls. Yes, the depth at running back is good to a degree but maybe trading Powell to get another pick in this year’s draft wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Think about it for a moment. Besides being underutilized on offense, perhaps a reason why the Jets don’t give Powell starting duties is due to the fact that he tends to get injured more often than not. Having played for seven years now in the NFL and combined with the fact that Powell will turn 30-years-old in late October, means now is as good a time as ever to see if teams are interested in trading for his services.

Ideally, it would make sense for the Jets to trade Powell to at least get a mid or late round pick in this year’s draft. At this point in time, the Jets have six picks heading into April and having one more would be in line with what the majority of teams have in their arsenal.

It’s hard to predict what the Jets could get in return for trading Powell as it’s unlikely they’d get anything higher than a third-round pick. Either way, it would make sense to trade Powell now considering that the Jets will probably not give him starting duties yet again and likely have Crowell be on top of the depth chart for next season.

Crowell is younger, has made more of an impact in his career statistically, and can also be a dual-threat running back coming out of the backfield as an eligible receiver. McGuire should be able to get more reps this upcoming season, likely to play in a backup/rotational role. If Rawls can prove to be healthy, he might be worth keeping around and it would also make sense for the Jets to draft another running back to continue adding youth to the positional group.

If the Jets are going to have another season of not using Powell to his potential or if they feel he’s going to continue being a liability in missing playing time due to injury, it’s best they trade him for a draft pick and move on.

Powell is entering the last year of his contract as he’s set to be an unrestricted free agent in 2019. Now would be the best time to trade him if the Jets want to at least get one more pick for this year’s draft. While it would be a shame to see him go, as always, the NFL is a business and nothing personal. The Jets are set at running back without Powell and if they can replace him on the roster with a newly drafted player in the positional group, it’ll be what is best as the franchise continues to rebuild for a bright future.

Powell is a Pro's Pro and I think Bowles and the FO value him quite highly as a NY Jet since he's been resigned twice by this regime. I think he's worth keeping as a veteran locker room presence at a position that ALWAYS has injuries and requires solid depth. 

I don’t mind getting rid of Powell. But if we’re gonna get a sixth round pick or something, meh I’d rather just ride it out with him. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I don’t mind getting rid of Powell. But if we’re gonna get a sixth round pick or something, meh I’d rather just ride it out with him. 

It's the pick plus cap space.  I like him, but they may as well trade him and get a late pick if they can, even if they use it on another rb.

20 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I completely agree, unless they think they're getting a steal with someone.  But yes, i think we're trading back in the 3rd.

depends which pass rushers are still on the board.  If there is a decent one, I want Mac to draft him trying to fill one of the most glaring needs the Jets have left unfilled since the departure of John Abraham.  Mauldin didn't have the speed at EDGE.  Mac needs to try again there if someone is available who has a strong upside.  

If no one there of that ability, then trade back.  But only if no decent EDGE are there.  

Just now, Dcat said:

depends which pass rushers are still on the board.  If there is a decent one, I want Mac to draft him trying to fill one of the most glaring needs the Jets have left unfilled since the departure of John Abraham.  Mauldin didn't have the speed at EDGE.  Mac needs to try again there if someone is available who has a strong upside.  

If no one there of that ability, then trade back.  But only if no decent EDGE are there.  

I agree.  I'm assuming the best edge guys will get overdrafted as usual.  The jets could get a good rb in the 3rd round but clearly they seem to be filling that need in FA.  

On 3/30/2018 at 5:47 PM, jetstream23 said:

Yeah. Great move. He forced himself to overpay a mediocre FA Center this year because he didn’t draft Elflein. But it’s okay, we also signed Crowell and Rawls after passing on RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.

Thank you. 

People are still trying to justify Mac's bad drafting in his first couple of years.  By giving away this years' pair of 2nd rounders in order to get an outside shot at landing Rosen, Mac gave up the opportunity to take Guice, Michel, or R. Jones with the first of those picks and one of Landry, Key or Sweat for EDGE with the latter of those picks.  The irony is we will end up with the same player at 3 (Mayfield/Allen) that he would likely have had at 6.  Dammmmmmit.  And before one of you says "well,  ....what if all 4 QBs would be gone", sure there is a small possibility for that, but he could have not only filled important holes with that pair of second rounders(and next years'),  he could have traded down and gotten either Jackson, Rudolph or even later Laulletta, Smith or Falk while filling even more holes.  Any one of those could have sat behind the McCown/Bridgewater combo this year and perhaps become a starter down the road.   

Mac really sucks. His drafting and lead up to the draft smells like ass. His gamble on getting Rosen may or may not pay off but he sacrificed a lot of opportunity to take that chance. Needlessly IMO.  (unless, of course he has some kind of inside info on what the Giants are doing at #2)   

Feels to me that Mac is getting worse as time goes on.  We are going to need a new GM soon.  Especially if he picks the wrong guy at 3 after giving up a pair of picks in a draft perfectly set up for the Jets to fill those two positions with talent we haven't seen in many years.  aaaargh.

21 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

As Bob Ucker said in Major League 2 said, it's amazing how a new uniform can change your feelings about a guy.

I used to think Rawls was an overhyped fantasy football creation.  Now I sit here convincing myself he's a huge upside signing.

?‍♂️

What is Rawls’ upside?  A poor man’s Cedric Houston?

Archived