"Look at Where Those Picks Were Made" Mccagnan's Beautiful Mind Speaks

Gangrene

On 4/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The only time they ever are “GM” is with the Jets, never before (successful ones cost a lot of money, just like real Head Coaches), and never after, lots of the time, once finally being fired by the Jets, they are actually OUT OF THE NFL in any capacity.

Think about it, people who were in the 2 most substantial positions on a pro team, not thought of enough by the rest of the league to even warrant a job anywhere.

Mr. Coffee and the Sphinx who knows what happens, strange enough that they still are in their jobs.

Nice rant...   until the fake news part.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, varjet said:

21 players and 6 starters?  Let's see how many drafted players remain after the draft and the final roster is set.  That list includes guys like Hack and Donahue who have no business being on the team.

In his defense, I do think that Mac had a plan when he picked Hack, and it was not a terrible plan.  Mac caught lightening in a bottle with Fitz, and he would extend Fitz, have the Jets be competitive and entertaining while Hack was developed.  Many things went wrong, as we know, but Mac thought that Hack was "good value" with high upside/low downside.  Flushing a 2nd round pick down the toilet is not low downside, but that is how Mac looked at it given the upside for a QB.

But for me the 2 big takeaways are:

• He drafted Hack with no real plan with the coaches, who have changed every year, to develop him, or to fit him to a system or vice versa.  Hack is neither a Spread nor WCO QB, even when he is good.  He is a pro style QB.  
  • Mac focuses too much on value and not on achieving a result.  Its like he approaches every player as an individual value trade, as opposed to building a team that wins.  And then for some reason he overpays through the nose for a too old corner, like he did with Revis and no with Johnson-he either wins the bidding by a mile or loses.  
    • Looking at the Jets today, I would think having a lock down center and someone to rush the passer would be good, yet he signs 2 lesser Centers instead of Richburg/Jensen and lets Ealy go.  Ealy is not perfect, but is the only player they have who can actually do something from the EDGE.

Solid and sound post.

I agree with you on how Hack doesn't work under the OC he's been under w/the Jets. 

I disagree with Ealy. 1 sack and 9 PD are not worth the scratch he's seeking. He's only getting sniffs now in FA and I don't feel his on field production warrants a hefty contract. IMO. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

• Mac focuses too much on value and not on achieving a result.  Its like he approaches every player as an individual value trade, as opposed to building a team that wins. 

his draft picks are about ranking vs draft position.  he had marcus maye rated higher than where they picked and he was thrilled to pick him even after drafting a safety with the 6th pick.  there is no coherent vision of relative value, positional value, balancing top picks for offense and defense, or the importance of playmakers on offense.  it's a pure scouting approach that would win if you're not the gm.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Pac said:

in 3 years we can decide if Adams + whichever QB we get will be better than Mahomes or Watson.

I think it will be.

This math got complicated.

(Rookie QB plus Adams) vs (Watson plus (3 draft picks this year)).

This equation works in Macc's favor only if Rook is waaaaay better than Watson and I'm not betting on that because Watson, barring injury, is a can't miss star IMO. 

Nice Macc bashing.   He deserves most of this for sure.

Let's see if he improves.  So far this year he's off to a good start -  tanking the roster for the 6th pick, trading for the extra 2nd rounder and trading to three in the draft.  All very bold and well done moves.  Now he has to hit the pick.

I've said this before, he was a rookie GM and he is getting better after a couple years of learning.  He learned on our dime, so lets not be in a hurry to toss him, because the next rookie GM will make the same rookie mistakes and we repeat the same cycle over and over.

If Macc hits on the QB this year, all is forgiven.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

This math got complicated.

(Rookie QB plus Adams) vs (Watson plus (3 draft picks this year)).

This equation works in Macc's favor only if Rook is waaaaay better than Watson and I'm not betting on that because Watson, barring injury, is a can't miss star IMO. 

Watson could end up like a Bradford.  Let's see how he plays this year, particularly outside in the cold.  

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Nice Macc bashing.   He deserves most of this for sure.

Let's see if he improves.  So far this year he's off to a good start -  tanking the roster for the 6th pick, trading for the extra 2nd rounder and trading to three in the draft.  All very bold and well done moves.  Now he has to hit the pick.

I've said this before, he was a rookie GM and he is getting better after a couple years of learning.  He learned on our dime, so lets not be in a hurry to toss him, because the next rookie GM will make the same rookie mistakes and we repeat the same cycle over and over.

If Macc hits on the QB this year, all is forgiven.

Good points, just 1 thing, if he does get bounced, why does the next GM have to be a rookie GM?

That’s one of the biggest problems with this team, always rolling the dice with someone unproven, who then proves to be not big enough for the job.

I hope he hits the QB pick and all will be forgiven, I’m not rooting against the guy, I was glad when he was initially hired, happy that someone with a scouting background was in that job because I thought it would lead to a very talented roster, but as of right now, I’m very disappointed, mostly due to the fact that there never looks like there is a coherent plan in place, and I think he plays it too careful at critical times to protect himself.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, bitonti said:

Mac is all about value

he wants to take a guy who should have gone higher 

He loves to point at the mocks afterwards and crow about value - that's his favorite thing to do 

Applying it to the Jets, Allen and Darnold are two that "should go higher" 

Rosen and Mayfield, the Jets at 3 are their draft ceiling.  Rosen isn't going 1 or 2, Mayfield might not even go top 10 that's how much smoke there is on Mayfield 

I'm not saying they won't go QB.

but if they don't have a "value" prospect he could go in another direction (Chubb or Barkley) and that would be a typical Mac move.  Also keep in mind QB 3 doesn't help Mac keep his job unless he plays well and early. A Chubb or Barkley makes plays year 1. Mac is not looking at a 20 year plan he's doing everything to stay employed. 

Jets not taking a QB + Bowles 2 year extension = Finger painting with Syd Barrett at Creedmore mental institution

As long as he doesn't draft ******* Mayfield I'll be happy. He drafts one of the Allen/Rosen/Darnold trio, and were good. If he drafts Mayfield there he's an idiot, we could have had him at 6. Browns are going to take either Chubb or Barkley at 4, very little chance they trade down. And Broncos apparently think Mayfield is a diva, and had a bad time coaching him at the senior bowl. Add into the fact that he goes against what Elway looks in a qb, ie the big, strong armed talented qbs, and it would be shocking for them to draft him. Honestly, assuming a team doesn't trade up, Mayfield falls out of the top 10.

On 4/2/2018 at 10:42 AM, Gangrene said:

Maccagnan added that one has to “look at where the picks were made”

Yes, look at Christian Hackenberg, look at how he was picked in the 2nd round, look at how he never took an NFL snap, and look at how good I am at milking the NYJ for paychecks.

Archived