Jets Claim TE Clive Walford

JetNation

Warford.jpg

Taking the opportunity to address one of their needs prior to the draft, the Jets have reportedly claimed former Raiders tight end Clive Walford.

The news came from NFL insider Adam Schefter, whoo says Gang Green claimed the 6′ 4” Florida native who was let go in a house cleaning that appears to be under way since the arrival of new Raiders head coach John Gruden.

Walford struggled last season as he was limited to just nine receptions for 80 yards but was more productive in his previous two seasons when he caught 61 passes for 688 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dPJ8i2rNeFE

Click here to read the full story...

Good move by Macc. Now , possibly, we don't have to spend a draft pick on a TE. Gruden is cleaning house. Ditched his punter King, who was very good, because he didn't like his personality. Chemistry means a lot.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Last Raiders TE we had Doug Jolley...............

Im still high on Neal Sterling being the TE that surprises us all. 

I remember Doug Jolley. Never did a lot here as I recall. Lots of "potential".  I'm with you I hope Sterling pans out. This is his best shot at it with the Jets.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

a day after bowles was just saying how good leggett looked last spring.

Well Todd's not going to say publicly that he sucks rod. I hope he pans out too. Lots, again, of potential.

55 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Warford.jpg

Taking the opportunity to address one of their needs prior to the draft, the Jets have reportedly claimed former Raiders tight end Clive Walford.

The news came from NFL insider Adam Schefter, whoo says Gang Green claimed the 6′ 4” Florida native who was let go in a house cleaning that appears to be under way since the arrival of new Raiders head coach John Gruden.

Walford struggled last season as he was limited to just nine receptions for 80 yards but was more productive in his previous two seasons when he caught 61 passes for 688 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

dPJ8i2rNeFE

Click here to read the full story...

THE Clive Walford?

Mayock: Clive Walford 'most explosive tight end' in 2015 draft

The tight end class in the 2015 draft isn't considered all that strong, and one of those in the running to be the first player selected at the position is Miami's Clive Walford.

On the NFL Network's coverage of the Reese's Senior Bowl practices Wednesday, NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock spoke highly of Miami tight end Clive Walford (6-4 1/8, 254), calling him "the most explosive tight end in this year's draft."

Mayock noted that Miami coaches lined up Walford in a variety of places -- in the slot, out wide and with his hand down as a "normal" tight end -- and said he expected Walford to run a 40-yard dash of around 4.65, which Mayock said would be "tremendous" for a player of his size.

Mayock also was impressed that Walford chose to compete this week when some other top-rated senior tight ends bypassed the week.

"All he does (this week) is enhance his draft value," Mayock said.

Fellow analyst Daniel Jeremiah also thinks Walford has shown well.

Daniel Jeremiah✔@MoveTheSticks

Miami TE Clive Walford is making a lot of today.

5:04 PM - Jan 21, 2015

Walford played just one season of high school football at perennial power Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central, and he redshirted as a true freshman at Miami in 2010. He became a three-year starter for the Hurricanes and was a part-time starter in the other season.

He had 44 receptions for a team-high 676 yards this season and was second on the team with seven TD receptions. He had 14 TD receptions and averaged 14.5 yards per catch over his career.

Walford has some work to do as a blocker, but teams will draft him to be a receiving threat. He can get down the seam and be a deep threat. He also is a solid athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461587/article/mayock-clive-walford-most-explosive-tight-end-in-2015-draft

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

"One of those players who plays faster than he times. He is a vertical threat and catches the ball extremely well. He has work to do as a blocker." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/clive-walford?id=2552397

*yawn* ... Clive and Jordan are the same person. Underwhelming players. They can't do anything well, per say, and have gotten by based on athletic ability in College. Neither are natural receivers. They're OK, but not natural ball catch artists. They both suck at blocking. They survive on mismatches running sloppy digs and slices. 

TE2  

Edit* i take back the tone (not the assessment). He doesn't move the needle much, but the roster better with him than before. We still need a TE1. Wish Goedert was going to make it rnd 3 for us. Not a chance now. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

2 solid years for the Raiders before last year

He's a guy you can put on the field and he'll be adequate, not great.  It gives the Jets some semblance of a depth chart now at TE.  A few guys with experience + Leggett (a high upside rookie before he got hurt last year).  TE is definitely subpar and nowhere near a strength, but it's not a blatant hole anymore going into the Draft.  Assuming the Jets don't add someone in Round 3 or 4 this year I think TE is shaping up to be a waiver wire add this Summer.  Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets sign someone from another team who gets released in August.

Archived