Poll: Make the Pick at 3

bitonti

NYJ at 3  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming CLE goes Josh Allen and NYG goes Sam Darnold, who do you pick at 3 for the Jets?

• QB Josh Rosen, UCLA
    • QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    • RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State
    • OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
    • ER Bradley Chubb, NC State
    • Other - post name in comments

if the rumors are to be believed, the top of the draft is shaping up with Cleveland taking Josh Allen at 1 and the Giants taking Sam Darnold at 2.

Assuming this is what happens, who do you pick? 

NOTE - This is not who do you think the Jets will pick at 3. It's not a prediction.

imagine all the power is in your hands to make the call. 

Trade down with Denver who take Mayfield. Sitting at 5, call Indianapolis and tell them Bowles has taken over control of our draft room and we are taking Chubb. If Indy really want him, we want our two 2018 second rounders back, and their punt returner. They agree. 

With the sixth pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the New York Jets select QB Josh Rosen, UCLA. 

With their three second round picks, the New York Jets select OT Will Hernandez at 37 (via Indianapolis), RB Ronald Jones at 40 (via Denver) and TE Mike Gesicki at 49 (via Indianapolis). 

I watched 'Draft Day' the other day. The above seems fairly plausible by comparison.  

Josh Rosen

Take the technician with good size and arm strength, and don't look back.  He is the type of quarterback who masters his craft and goes on to be a true franchise player like Rodgers, Ryan, and Manning.  In my opinion, he has the highest floor of any of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft.

as a long time football fan, and someone who considers themselves educated on the nuances of the game...i find it hard to believe that a team would pass on a 6'4 prototypical QB for a 6 foot nothing QB who "wants it more". Nothing against Baker Mayfield, but the history of the draft just doesn't play into that narrative.

I'd have to take Rosen there I think.  If you make the assumption he will play for the next 10+ years and not be forced to retire due to injury, take the most prototypical guy who can make all the throws.

However, if this Draft somehow goes Darnold and Rosen, then I'm taking Mayfield over Allen.

When you look at all the reasonable scenarios, the odds are the jets wind up with Rosen.  If the browns take allen, darnold goes next and we get Rosen.  Assuming the browns get darnold, the giants can take barkley or chubb, or trade out to buffalo who takes allen, and the jets get Rosen.  Unless the giants believe Rosen is the qb of their future and take him, we're getting him.  

I picked Mayfield.

I like Rosen as a QB better.   But Rosen scares me playing with the Jets under a GM who chooses a gadget player like Adarious Stewart over a Center who can start for 10 years.   In the third round.

And when he had a chance to fix C again, he picked the lower priced FA instead of one of the 2 better ones.  No wonder Cousins went to Minnesota.   

Rosen would get maimed if he played behind the Jets line.  I think Mayfield is more entertaining and will actually execute Bates’ short/accurate pass offense better.  He will be entertaining and he needs and loves football for his psyche.  He like Adams (another pick I did not like) would die on the field playing football.  Rosen would run back to Manhattan Beach.

Like our friend Bill Parcells said, you have to face the Man in the Mirror.  I think most any other NFL team needing a QB in that spot would take Rosen.   I think that would be the right call-buy him the best line in football under his rookie contract, and let him throw.  But the Jets are a short fireplug with a chip on their shoulder.  Mayfield is their QB.  He will sell more jerseys than anyone, and jump into the lap of Fireman Ed in the End Zone.  He is a Jet-he just does not know it yet. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'd have to Rosen there I think.  If you make the assumption he will play for the next 10+ years and not be forced to retire due to injury, take the most prototypical guy who can make all the throws.

However, if this Draft somehow goes Darnold and Rosen, then I'm taking Mayfield over Allen.

pretty much how I'm fellin bro

Just now, Augustiniak said:

When you look at all the reasonable scenarios, the odds are the jets wind up with Rosen.  If the browns take allen, darnold goes next and we get Rosen.  Assuming the browns get darnold, the giants can take barkley or chubb, or trade out to buffalo who takes allen, and the jets get Rosen.  Unless the giants believe Rosen is the qb of their future and take him, we're getting him.  

Jets pick Mayfield over Rosen because they like his leadership skills.

I know everyone is panicking over a QB, but let us be honest and admit no matter who they pick, it will not help them win the division this year, or next. Division winners get home playoff games. The idea is to build a lasting winner, something this team has never had. I would like to see one in my lifetime. That means the plan should be over the next few years, not this draft. Is there a QB coming out next year that is more of a sure shot? Do you roll the dice on one of the FA's in '19 or '20? What if Bridgewater not only comes back but fulfills the amazing potential that he has? It would take way more expertise than I have to determine this. 

I assume that a QB will be taken as you don't make the trade with Indy without that intent, but the again I might the only one here that wouldn't perform a self-lobotomy if they take Chubb or Barkley. I would look forward to watching either in green and white this coming year with the hope that whatever guy they picked becomes an all-pro, the type of player that populates winning team's rosters.  

I think Rosen is the no-brainer in this scenario. The real puzzle is when it's Allen vs. Mayfield. Prototypical potential vs. undersized production. I think Allen could wind up being the best QB in this draft, and I also really hope he's off the board when the Jets pick. 

Now that I've had a little coffee I have to add: it's stupid to have any names in this poll other than Rosen and Mayfield. The Jets traded up to #3 to get a QB (period!). If Allen goes #1, the Jets war room will be cheering louder than the Browns. If somehow the Giants follow that up by taking Barkley, the Jets may have trouble getting their card up in time after collectively peeing themselves. 

I understand @bitonti has this exciting two-pronged troll going where he craps on Rosen but says it doesn't matter because the Jets are probably taking Chubb - but the Jets are taking a QB at #3. 

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Josh Rosen

Take the technician with good size and arm strength, and don't look back.  He is the type of quarterback who masters his craft and goes on to be a true franchise player like Rodgers, Ryan, and Manning.  In my opinion, he has the highest floor of any of the top quarterbacks in this year's draft.

I would think Rosen has the lowest floor of the 4.  There's a pretty good chance he doesn't play more than 3 or 4 years.

putting the 2 concussions aside - he's been injured since HS, hasn't completed each of the past two seasons....and already has an injury to his throwing shoulder.  With an already average at best arm - adding shoulder injuries to that is scary...

Mayfield is the right choice and it's not even close.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Now that I've had a little coffee I have to add: it's stupid to have any names in this poll other than Rosen and Mayfield. The Jets traded up to #3 to get a QB (period!). If Allen goes #1, the Jets war room will be cheering louder than the Browns. If somehow the Giants follow that up by taking Barkley, the Jets may have trouble getting their card up in time after collectively peeing themselves. 

I understand @bitonti has this exciting two-pronged troll going where he craps on Rosen but says it doesn't matter because the Jets are probably taking Chubb - but the Jets are taking a QB at #3. 

Bit has lost his marbles over the past week.  I figured this entire thread was made for him to call us all idiots and try to begin to convince us that the right pick is the "generational" WR posing as a RB but then I checked the votes and noticed he voted for Mayfield.  So then I realized, it his way of saying, you're all stupid to take a rich Cali QB because Mayfield fights to feel pain, just to see if he's alive.

Which makes me feel great about Rosen.  Love Bit but being on the opposite side of him in this battle is probably a good thing.  I'll never forget or forgive him for dropping that ourlads scouting mph bull sh*t last year which is now an actual talking point and claiming Watson sucked because of their "reporting". 

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would think Rosen has the lowest floor of the 4.  There's a pretty good chance he doesn't play more than 3 or 4 years.

putting the 2 concussions aside - he's been injured since HS, hasn't completed each of the past two seasons....and already has an injury to his throwing shoulder.  With an already average at best arm - adding shoulder injuries to that is scary...

Rosen's floor is probably Sam Bradford: talented when he's on the field, but he's not on the field enough. Allen's floor is Jake Locker. 

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's more likely that Mayfield, with his style of play and with the type of offense he will have to play in, will get hurt.  Rosen is a pocket passer, and the offense he will play in will protect him (hopefully)

1 minute ago, YankeeJet22 said:

It's more likely that Mayfield, with his style of play and with the type of offense he will have to play in, will get hurt.  Rosen is a pocket passer, and the offense he will play in will protect him (hopefully)

rosen also is not an inept athlete, he can slide in the pocket and run if he has to.  you just don't want him taking shots.  this is a no brainer.  rosen is considered by some to be the best qb in the draft.

the real question is, if the giants take rosen or trade the pick to buffalo who takes rosen, do the jets take allen or mayfield?

I would draft Baker Mayfield, and I would then pray.....

I believe the JETS would draft Josh Rosen.

I believe the least risky pick would be Barkley (RB) or Nelson (Guard), both of whom are near-can't-miss prospects.

If the Jets believe in Bridgewater (big if) I could see a reasonable argument to draft a non-QB at #3.  Not saying I'd agree (see above as to what I'd do) but I could see the argument.

Going into 2018 with still no QB......problematic.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

rosen also is not an inept athlete, he can slide in the pocket and run if he has to.  you just don't want him taking shots.  this is a no brainer.  rosen is considered by some to be the best qb in the draft.

the real question is, if the giants take rosen or trade the pick to buffalo who takes rosen, do the jets take allen or mayfield?

Good point on Rosen.

I'll add that Rosen has been pegged as intellectually advanced.  He's played in a Pro-style Offense where he's had to recognize protections.

I pray he's available.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Rosen's floor is probably Sam Bradford: talented when he's on the field, but he's not on the field enough. Allen's floor is Jake Locker. 

Agreed....That's what I belive we'll be getting in Rosen.  As far as I'm concerned that's even worse than a bust.

Year after year - waiting for him finally to be healthy.  Can be 5 or 6 years before you finally move on.

Honestly, I just don't see Rosen getting through a 16 game NFL season - let alone playoffs.

1 minute ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Good point on Rosen.

I'll add that Rosen has been pegged as intellectually advanced.  He's played in a Pro-style Offense where he's had to recognize protections.

I pray he's available.

the way i see it, if the browns take allen, the giants will take darnold and we will get rosen.  if the browns take darnold, the giants can do many things with the pick - take allen, trade to buffalo who could take allen, or take barkley or chubb - and again the jets would probably get rosen.  

I'm starting to think Baker is the guy we take if its between him and Rosen.   Rosen is the better player with the injury history.  Baker is an exciting player with some off field issues.   You plant a flag in the middle of the field at Ohio State?  That mean you come in and right away say F U BRADY!!! Mac needs excitement and attention. 

4 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I'm starting to think Baker is the guy we take if its between him and Rosen.   Rosen is the better player with the injury history.  Baker is an exciting player with some off field issues.   You plant a flag in the middle of the field at Ohio State?  That mean you come in and right away say F U BRADY!!! Mac needs excitement and attention. 

That is the trade off, and the Johnsons make that pick.  Do they want to watch Rosen lead the Broncos to the playoffs for the next 10 years?  The broncos will know how to protect him, and they still have their second round pick for linemen. 

The Jets are screwed both ways.  If they pick Mayfield, the Broncos will be a better team with Rosen for a long time.  If they pick Rosen, he gets the coaches fired and either retires early or pulls a Cousins and leaves.  

Archived