Jets Sign TE Bucky Hodges

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoa interesting! he was a draft darling - made a few plays before being relegated to practice squad. Not even sure he finished the year rostered? 

Problem with Bucky - just another gangster with speed. Sloppy hands. Strong, physical guy - worth the flier. Reminds me of Enunwa - if Bucky can make similar progress. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

he was drafted last year.  round 6 - Minnesota Vikings.  

Thats right!  He was projected as a 2-3 round guy and dropped.  Man that feels longer than last year.  Scouting report:

OVERVIEW

Temuchin "Bucky" Hodges is not your typical tight end. At 6-7, 245 pounds, he looks like a big wide receiver. A converted quarterback, Hodges started 10 games and earned USA Today Freshman All-American honors in 2014 (45-526, seven TDs). He was named a second-team All-ACC pick in 2015 (40-530, six TDs) and a third-team selection (48-691, seven TDs) in 2016.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Outstanding combination of size and athleticism for the position. Smooth glider around the field. Runs fast and plays fast. Long target with extended catch radius. Can get up and over the top of most defenders at the high point. Willing to work over the middle and has the frame for it. Spent time at all receiver spots and could be an option from the slot as well as outside as a pro. Seam-beater who can get over top of linebackers and work all three levels of the field. Saw 28 percent of his catches go for 20-plus yards in 2016. Can access a second gear out of route stems. Once he stacks defender on his hip, he wins. Excellent ball tracker with second gear and hand usage for late separation down the field. Former quarterback with valuable knowledge of coverages. Will demand additional attention if covered by a cornerback near goal line. Shows strength to overwhelm defensive backs as a blocker.

WEAKNESSES

Has played the position just three seasons and still has much to learn. Long strider who can be put into neutral by a physical jam from press. Too nonchalant along his routes. Needs to hit route landmarks more quickly to give quarterback a timely, presentable target. Defaults into running through defender rather than effectively adjusting routes. Throws beat him up at times this season. Struggled to finish challenging catches. Lower percentage of clean catches trapping throws against his body and double catching it. Athletic but takes awhile to access acceleration after catch and may not be the "YAC" people expect. May lack power and toughness to be a reliable in-line option as a blocker.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3-4

NFL COMPARISON

Devin Funchess

BOTTOM LINE

Hodges still has work to do as a route-runner and his inconsistent hands could be a concern. He can line up inside or outside while his size and ability to work all three levels of the field should be appealing to teams looking for pass catching options. The competitive nature of the NFL could bring out more consistent toughness in him as a blocker. He has the tools to be a long-time starter and touchdown-maker in the league.

• 6'6"HEIGHT
  • 32 1/2"ARM LENGTH
  • 257LBS.WEIGHT
  • 10 1/8"HANDS
  • 4.57 40 yard

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yea, and he was something of a buzz-prospect. The fact he couldn't even stick on their practice squad... doesn't bode well. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Yea, and he was something of a buzz-prospect. The fact he couldn't even stick on their practice squad... doesn't bode well. 

to add to that, There wasn't much of anything behind Rudolph at TE on their roster: Blake Bell, David Morgan???  Yet Bucky couldn't find a spot there?  I have a friend who is a rabid Vikings fan and a high school football ref.  I'm going to ask him what happned.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

to add to that, There wasn't much of anything behind Rudolph at TE on their roster: Blake Bell, David Morgan???  Yet Bucky couldn't find a spot there?  I have a friend who is a rabid Vikings fan and a high school football ref.  I'm going to ask him what happned.

Found this on Reddit:

Apparently he was waived at the end of preseason with a head injury. The Vikings gave him an injury settlement instead of leaving him on IR, then he spent a few weeks on the Panthers practice squad, and he's been a FA since late October.

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

whoa interesting! he was a draft darling - made a few plays before being relegated to practice squad. Not even sure he finished the year rostered? 

Problem with Bucky - just another gangster with speed. Sloppy hands. Strong, physical guy - worth the flier. Reminds me of Enunwa - if Bucky can make similar progress. 

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I traded up for him in our draft last year (maybe at the Hampur) was shocked to see him drop as far as he did.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm offended that some of you are pretending like you know who Bucky Hodges is.

Yeah we do. He had a TV series in the late 70"s.... Buck Hodges in the 25th Century.   SO THERE !!

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they love leggett so much and don't miss asj at all they just signed 2 TEs.  

Better than overreaching out of sheer desperation in the draft & bypassing on Better Players.

There's no roster limit at this point; sign all the plausible pro talent you can before the bucket is empty and you have compromise draft picks to be surfeit. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Better than overreaching out of sheer desperation in the draft & bypassing on Better Players.

There's no roster limit at this point; sign all the plausible pro talent you can before the bucket is empty and you have compromise draft picks to be surfeit. 

i agree, but it sure seems like the jets are all of a sudden desperate for TE help when just a few days before bowles was crowing about expecting good things from leggett.  

Archived