Brandin Cooks traded to Rams from Patriots

jetstream23

OK, trying to approximately figure out the value NEP got for Cooks compared to what they gave up for him last year. The Patriots gave up about 620 points last year after all of the dealing (32 and 103 for Cooks and 118) which on this year's chart equals the 30th overall pick. This year they gave up Cooks and a 4th and received the Rams 1st and 6th which basically equals around 740 points. The 740 is equal to the overall 24th pick. So basically it looks like a good deal for Belichick. https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saints and pats have given up on cooks pretty quickly and its not his play on the field.  Must be something behind the scenes we dont know about.

of course pats now have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.  Ugh.  The pats are just unreal.

The only thing I would say to refute this is that Sean and Bill are known good friends, I don't think Sean would make this trade without telling Bill of his locker room issues or whatever has lead to these recent trades of a talented player like Cooks.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I doubt Belichick will draft a QB. He was just forced to trade away Garappolo to the 49er's for peanuts and was PISSED over it. I doubt Belichick is going to draft a QB again and leave the Patriots in a good position....he's petty like that. 

Ya if he is near checkout, you are right. If he wants to keep going for a while and motivated to prove he can win a championship without tom Brady, he may want to grab 1 and school him a yr before Brady goes. Either scenario, he is very pissed I am sure about trading garapollo Who may be better then brady next yr.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Belichick must really be pissed about the Garrapolo trade.  He's going to trade all of Tom Brady's targets to move up in the draft and take a QB at the end of Round 1.

Lauletta? Maybe not in the 1st but I could see BB drafting this guy.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Highly unlikely they'd get him for their 2 late 1st rounders.  Maybe if they get another #1 for Gronk they can trade all 3.  I still don't think that's a Belichick move.  Since when does he trade up like that?

Agreed he doesn't do trades to that extent. But he hasn't had to either, he's had his 6th round QB to ride for nearly two decades.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Ive been a fan of the Rams' moves thus, but this however, was dumb. Buyers remorse will set in like a hang over tomorrow IMO. 

Cooks so Cooks and Tavon Austin are gonna combine like transformers to great a 6'4 proper #1 WR?.... They had Woods, who was phenomenal, Cooper Kupp, and Josh Reynolds... Dumb.

Who says a receiver has to be 6-4 to be a "proper" WR1?  Antonio Brown is 5-10.  Odell is 5-11.  Steve Smith was 5-9.

Woods is a good WR2.  He's not "phenomenal".  Kupp is a slot receiver.  They needed a WR1 and got one. 

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wth?   Thats crazy.  Pats just acquired him last year and he played well.  

Now their starting recievers are hogan and edleman.  

Yes, but they acquired him for the 32nd pick and just traded him after a one-year rental for the 23rd pick, plus a mid-round pick and late-round pick.  Not a bad way to play it.

Rams have two years before Goff gets paid and are going for it.  They will be faced with paying Goff, Donald and other high profile FA's shortly.  It's a crapshoot but I like the way they are rolling the dice.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who says a receiver has to be 6-4 to be a "proper" WR1?  Antonio Brown is 5-10.  Odell is 5-11.  Steve Smith was 5-9.

Woods is a good WR2.  He's not "phenomenal".  Kupp is a slot receiver.  They needed a WR1 and got one. 

Cooks has never been a WR1... I'm pretty sure Woods in first feature role eclipse anything Brandon's done in his time. Overhyped that guy.

41 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Yes, but they acquired him (AND A FOURTH) for the 32nd and A THIRD 

and just traded him AND A FOURTH ROUND PICK after a one-year rental for the 23rd pick, plus a SIXTH ROUNDER.  Not a bad way to play it.

When you factor in the mid-round picks (bolded above), the value NE earned is not what you think it is. It’s closer to the difference 32 and 28.

NE paid:

‘17 (1)32nd pick ...590pts

’17 (3)103rd pick ...88pts

’18 (4)136th pick ...37.5pts

TOTAL: 715.5

NE received:

‘17 (4)118th pick ...forfeited due to deflategate ...58pts

’18 (1)23rd pick ...760pts

’18 (6)198th pick ...11.8pts

TOTAL: 829.8

27 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

When you factor in the mid-round picks (bolded above), the value NE earned is not what you think it is. It’s closer to the difference 32 and 28.

NE paid:

‘17 (1)32nd pick ...590pts

’17 (3)103rd pick ...88pts

’18 (4)136th pick ...37.5pts

TOTAL: 715.5

NE received:

‘17 (4)118th pick ...forfeited due to deflategate ...58pts

’18 (1)23rd pick ...760pts

’18 (6)198th pick ...11.8pts

TOTAL: 829.8

And Cooks gave them a season of strong production on top of the return they received via the trade.  How many points is that worth???

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Cooks didn't step up - really? 1082 yards, 16.6 average and 7 TDs is stepping up in my book.

Maybe i'm undervaluing him some, but that doesn't representative of his season. Couple inflated games maybe? I dunno. I feel like i watched him go semi-ghost on some big games.

Cooks forced his way out of New Orleans because he couldn't stand Michael Thomas becoming Brees' go-to guy ahead of him. Lands in New England but plays second fiddle to Gronk. 

Watkins was the bloke who cleared out the defensive backs so Kupp and Robert Woods could go to work. Is Cooks going to do the same thing for the Rams?

Patriots made out like bandits. Bill gets to play with a couple of first round picks. Conceivably they could move up ahead of the Cardinals if there's a QB still on the board they like, or they could pull the trigger on Mike McGlinchey or Kolton Miller to replace Solder at left tackle and then use the other draft pick on a wide receiver (say, D.J. Moore or James Washington).

I doubt the Rams are going to sucker in any other team to give up a first round pick (and change) for Cooks in 12 months time. This to me looks like a 12-month rental that will end in tears.

At least when the Jets tried to load up on veteran wide receivers to help a young QB, the Jets only wasted salary cap space, not draft picks (in particular I'm thinking of Plax and Mason with Sanchez, not necessarily Marshall and Decker with Geno, as they never got the chance to play with Geno).

If you follow the picks, the draft history of Brandin Cooks is pretty interesting:

New Orleans selected him 20th overall in the 2014 draft. To get there, they traded up from #27, offering Arizona their first and third round picks. Those selections would go on to become $LB Deone Buchanan and WR John Brown. 

In 2017, the Patriots traded LB Jamie Collins to the Browns for their third round compensatory pick, then sent that pick plus their first round pick (#32, OT Ryan Ramczyk) to the Saints for Cooks and the Saints *fourth round pick.

*That pick became forfeited due to the deflategate scandal which wiped out their highest 4th rounder in 2017. But by having that pick forfeited, NE was able to draft DE, Deatrich Wise Jr with their other fourth round pick last year (who would go on to record 5 sacks).  

Until we see who gets drafted at (1)#23, (4)#136, and (6)#198 (the current picks involved in his latest trade) we won’t really know who wins in the Brandin Cooks exchange. 

44 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

Cooks forced his way out of New Orleans because he couldn't stand Michael Thomas becoming Brees' go-to guy ahead of him. Lands in New England but plays second fiddle to Gronk. 

Watkins was the bloke who cleared out the defensive backs so Kupp and Robert Woods could go to work. Is Cooks going to do the same thing for the Rams?

Patriots made out like bandits. Bill gets to play with a couple of first round picks. Conceivably they could move up ahead of the Cardinals if there's a QB still on the board they like, or they could pull the trigger on Mike McGlinchey or Kolton Miller to replace Solder at left tackle and then use the other draft pick on a wide receiver (say, D.J. Moore or James Washington).

I doubt the Rams are going to sucker in any other team to give up a first round pick (and change) for Cooks in 12 months time. This to me looks like a 12-month rental that will end in tears.

At least when the Jets tried to load up on veteran wide receivers to help a young QB, the Jets only wasted salary cap space, not draft picks (in particular I'm thinking of Plax and Mason with Sanchez, not necessarily Marshall and Decker with Geno, as they never got the chance to play with Geno).

Pats don’t draft particularly well if you check out their draft record. They make a lot of moves, but their selections don’t pan out the way you might think they do. 

Last year they only drafted 4 players, one didn’t play, one played in one game, and one is on the Bills. 

The year before, they drafted 9 players, only 3 are still with the team and of them, the only contributor was a third round OG (Joe Thuney). 

There is a lot of roster shuffling on that team, and people assume they’re all good moves because of the team’s success, but it really just speaks to the value of a great QB. 

This seems to have been driven by contracts ... Cooks is going to need to be extended next year so NE shipped him out for a first rather than losing him next year for a comp pick the year after.

Rams, meanwhile, are going all in on a tonne of talent, and eventually the cap will catch up to them. It'll be interesting to see if their gamble pays off - they have no first or second round pick this year, and all they have in return is Cooks on a one year rental.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Great trade by NE, ballzy trade by the Rams. They are absolutely going all in to win a ring, I just find it fascinating that they gave up so much for Cooks when I don't believe they have any intention of keeping him long term. Maybe the try to keep him one more year after the season but I can't imangine they want to pay that much money to a WR that's been bounced around the league, who knows though.

As for what the Patriots will do with those picks, I don't see them trading up with them really. Belichick loves to have as many picks as possible, I think it is more likely he is trying to replace players than move up for Lamar Jackson. I think they will target Falk or Lauletta at some point, might even be earlier than we think. They will use one of those 1st on a LT for sure.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Cooks has never been a WR1... I'm pretty sure Woods in first feature role eclipse anything Brandon's done in his time. Overhyped that guy.

As I mentioned in another thread, only 2 recievers in the NFL have 1,000+ yards and 7+ TD's in each of the last 3 seasons:  Antonio Brown, and Brandin Cooks. 

Archived