Manish Mehta, Ralph Vacchiano and Steve Serby mock Baker Mayfield to the Jets with Rosen still on the board.

Jetsbb

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think it had anything to do with what other teams wanted to move up.  after cousins went to minny, chris johnson told mccagnan to get a qb and this was the best way to do it.  they weren't getting to 1 or 2 and they didn't give up next year's #1.  this is considered to be a very strong qb class, it's not as if they traded up to 3 and there's only watson and mahones and they may not even get one of them.

They may like 3, but they have them ranked. You can’t downplay how paranoid jets are of bills and dolphins overtaking them in their div. They are very afraid of the PR sh*tstorm had bills traded up from way back, and they didn’t. Mayfield or Allen likely fall to 6, and jets gave up a awful lot to not wait to get the 4th ab

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

They may like 3, but they have them ranked. You can’t downplay how paranoid jets are of bills and dolphins overtaking them in their div. They are very afraid of the PR sh*tstorm had bills traded up from way back, and they didn’t. Mayfield or Allen likely fall to 6, and jets gave up a awful lot to not wait to get the 4th ab

the patriots have dominated the division for 15 years and the jets have not been relevant since those 2 rex years.  the bills and dolphins and jets are basically irrelevant.  it has been obvious that the bills, dolphins, cardinals and even the broncos have been rumored to want to trade up for qbs, and this is before you consider teams with aging qbs like the chargers and saints allegedly interested.  you also have a gm who is getting canned if he doesn't find a qb.  this is way less about buffalo and more about finding a qb and self-preservation.  they didn't make this trade out of paranoia that the bills would overtake them because the bills can still overtake them at 2.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the patriots have dominated the division for 15 years and the jets have not been relevant since those 2 rex years.  the bills and dolphins and jets are basically irrelevant.  it has been obvious that the bills, dolphins, cardinals and even the broncos have been rumored to want to trade up for qbs, and this is before you consider teams with aging qbs like the chargers and saints allegedly interested.  you also have a gm who is getting canned if he doesn't find a qb.  this is way less about buffalo and more about finding a qb and self-preservation.  they didn't make this trade out of paranoia that the bills would overtake them because the bills can still overtake them at 2.  

He isn’t geting canned for not drafting a qb. It’s lot easier these days to find a qb in FA/trade then it was 10 yrs ago. He is getting canned if we finish 2-14. Not if he fails to  draft a qb

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If the Jets take Mayfield or Allen over Rosen, I’ll be absolutely shocked and pissed. I’lll root for either and hope for the best....but I don’t see how you pass on Rosen for those two. Even Darnold should be picked after Rosen if team fit wasn’t a factor.

It would not be shocking.

You have to remember that it's the same front office that made an athletically average safety the #6 overall pick primarily because he's such an incredible leader of men. You'd be shocked that those same people would prefer the undersized, crotch-grabbing flag planter over the mercurial Rosen? I could see Mayfield blowing them away in interviews while Rosen intimidated them. Plus, they have the reinforcing better production (however you may want to qualify it) from Mayfield. For better or worse, there would absolutely be nothing surprising about them choosing Mayfield at all. 

Just now, slats said:

You have to remember that it's the same front office that made an athletically average safety the #6 overall pick primarily because he's such an incredible leader of men. You'd be shocked that those same people would prefer the undersized, crotch-grabbing flag planter over the mercurial Rosen? I could see Mayfield blowing them away in interviews while Rosen intimidated them. Plus, they have the reinforcing better production (however you may want to qualify it) from Mayfield. For better or worse, there would absolutely be nothing surprising about them choosing Mayfield at all. 

THe injuries are the key not the behavior. Remember Dee Milliner?

Just now, slats said:

i think it's rosen and then mayfield, throw in darnold first and there's your 3 and i don't think it's worth overthinking it.

at this point the burning question i have is, what are the giants going to do?  if i'm gettleman i take rosen.  and i don't see him trading that far back, but the bills could inch up to 7 or 8 and make it very enticing for them.  one thing i don't buy for a minute is the browns taking allen.  at this point the browns should really know the 2nd slot will be a qb and the giants are bluffing with barkley to get cleveland to take him first so the giants can get darnold.  

with 3 weeks to go if i'm a betting man, the giants wise up and take rosen.  mara or tisch said recently he admired what the packers did with rodgers and farve and i think that was truthful talk.

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If the Jets don't make the move to #3, it's highly likely that some other QB hungry team would've made the move there, making it very possible (if not likely) that all four of the top QBs in this draft were gone by #6. That's the risk they couldn't take. Even if only 3/4 were gone, they could have three closely ranked well ahead of the fourth, and felt that that would be even riskier - that they then would've been in a position to draft a QB they didn't love (Allen?) or face a significant backlash. Getting to #3, obviously, put them in a much more comfortable position. 

From here, they either nail the pick or **** it up royally. If they nail it, no one will care about those three second round picks. If they blow it, it will be a big part of the conversation as to why Maccagnan should be fired. That's the pressure they're under. 

I don’t see Maccagnan putting his career on the line for Baker Mayfield, just don’t see it. His behavior on and off the field is erratic, and aside from his admittedly strong accuracy, he doesn’t really have anything else going for him. Certainly not enough to have traded THREE 2nd round picks to move up for. I could see him slipping out of the top-10 altogether. JMO. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think it's rosen and then mayfield, throw in darnold first and there's your 3 and i don't think it's worth overthinking it.

at this point the burning question i have is, what are the giants going to do?  if i'm gettleman i take rosen.  and i don't see him trading that far back, but the bills could inch up to 7 or 8 and make it very enticing for them.  one thing i don't buy for a minute is the browns taking allen.  at this point the browns should really know the 2nd slot will be a qb and the giants are bluffing with barkley to get cleveland to take him first so the giants can get darnold.  

with 3 weeks to go if i'm a betting man, the giants wise up and take rosen.  mara or tisch said recently he admired what the packers did with rodgers and farve and i think that was truthful talk.

I agree with the bold, but would not discount the Browns taking Allen #1 overall. I think he'd comfortably be there at #4, but if the Browns love him, I'm sure they'd be concerned that the Giants or Jets love him, too. 

Legit, you guys over-react to every little thing. These are mock drafts by guys with zero scouting experience. They are writers. They write things. They don’t even have to be accountable for what they write. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with the bold, but would not discount the Browns taking Allen #1 overall. I think he'd comfortably be there at #4, but if the Browns love him, I'm sure they'd be concerned that the Giants or Jets love him, too. 

i think what we're starting to see is that all the character concerns with rosen are/were overblown while allen's inaccuracy concerns will magnify as we get closer.  plus if you are the browns gm and you can have any of the 4 qbs, why risk allen when you can take darnold, who has a higher floor and arguably as high of a ceiling?  can you imagine mccagnan taking allen over darnold?  me neither, and that's why cleveland won't either.

right now i'd say it's about 50/50 the giants take rosen.  their team is at a crossroads and they have some big strategic decisions to make.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They clearly have reason to think we want Mayfield. The only question is whether they're repeating a BS smokescreen narrative we have out there or if they actually know what we're doing. But it's very clear that it's "well known" the Jets want Mayfield.

Personally I like Mayfield and if Darnold and Rosen go 1-2 that's the obvious choice. But I'd be pretty upset if we went Mayfield over Rosen. Rosen has much higher upside, IMO.

There are some health concerns but after watching highlights, I think he's the better QB, and I think he'll still be available at 3. I honestly don't see the Giants taking a QB. 

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don’t see Maccagnan putting his career on the line for Baker Mayfield, just don’t see it. His behavior on and off the field is erratic, and aside from his admittedly strong accuracy, he doesn’t really have anything else going for him. Certainly not enough to have traded THREE 2nd round picks to move up for. I could see him slipping out of the top-10 altogether. JMO. 

If Mayfield slips out of the top-10, this should be an interesting place for a few days.  *IF* it happens, a lot of people here who 'know' things are going to find out the rest of the league didn't 'know' the same things.  Personally, I have no idea how it will play out and I'll get behind anyone we draft, but like some others, I feel like Rosen is the superior choice.  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Mayfield slips out of the top-10, this should be an interesting place for a few days.  *IF* it happens, a lot of people here who 'know' things are going to find out the rest of the league didn't 'know' the same things.  Personally, I have no idea how it will play out and I'll get behind anyone we draft, but like some others, I feel like Rosen is the superior choice.  

?

9AC32BC6-25F8-425E-AC48-25CF7EE9A7E5.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m curious if anyone in the scout dept were 1 of the ones mocking terry Bradway when he was begging jets to take Russell Wilson. Maybe that is why they are thinking let’s not be morons again just because the best qb once again is a little short ha

I believe Matt Barzigan is a holdover from the Bradway error/era.  

23 minutes ago, jack48 said:

They might take Baker.  I have a feeling they want Allen then Darnold then Baker.  I believe they might think Rosen is too much of a snotnose for them

I'd be surprised if they had Allen that high. Darnold is almost certainly off the board, and then I'm pretty content with them choosing between (or landing what's left between) Rosen and Mayfield. They're the two most accurate QBs rated this high, and generally considered to be the two most NFL ready. Those traits are the proper correction after two projects in Petty and Hackenberg. 

Or, more cynically, Mac is all about extending his career and, Allen -for all of the height that is his ceiling- is just way too risky for Mac to pull the trigger on him. He can't have his #3 overall pick sitting out the season after his second round pick just sat out two. 

I remember back in 1983, when all of the mock drafters--there were maybe five mock drafts in all of media back then--had the Jets taking Dan Marino. That was a hoot.

There is a logic here, and you're all missing it. The Jets, without fail, pick the player that is sure to piss off most of their fanbase.

The pick is Josh Allen. Get used to it.

i think what we're starting to see is that all the character concerns with rosen are/were overblown while allen's inaccuracy concerns will magnify as we get closer.  plus if you are the browns gm and you can have any of the 4 qbs, why risk allen when you can take darnold, who has a higher floor and arguably as high of a ceiling?  can you imagine mccagnan taking allen over darnold?  me neither, and that's why cleveland won't either.

right now i'd say it's about 50/50 the giants take rosen.  their team is at a crossroads and they have some big strategic decisions to make.  

What makes you say “What we’re starting to see”?

Allen continues to 1 or 2 on virtually every board. If anything he’s moved ahead of Rosen on some. In fact he seems to be 1 on more mocks than a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember back in 1983, when all of the mock drafters--there were maybe five mock drafts in all of media back then--had the Jets taking Dan Marino. That was a hoot.

There is a logic here, and you're all missing it. The Jets, without fail, pick the player that is sure to piss off most of their fanbase.

The pick is Josh Allen. Get used to it.

I hope so. But he won’t be there.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What I find most interesting is they all have Allen going 1 or 2 yet half of this board finds that idea so wrong that they “lol” others for even mentioning that it’s possible.

Jets will have a choice of Rosen or Mayfield. I hope they pick whoever they like the best.

I hope they don't. Then we'll have a fighting chance of getting the right guy. :P

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Path to the draft reporting patriots targeting Mayfield 

Patriots Draft Rumors: New England Has 'Affinity For' Baker Mayfield

TIM DANIELSAPRIL 5, 2018

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield passes during warmups before the Rose Bowl NCAA college football game against Georgia, Monday, Jan. 1, 2018, in Pasadena, Calif. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)
Gregory Bull/Associated Press

Chatter about the New England Patriots' interest in University of Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield continues to grow louder following the team's trade of wide receiver Brandin Cooks to the Los Angeles Ramsto acquire an additional first-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

On Wednesday, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported the New York Jets are among the teams with a pick within the top 10 who are "fully aware of the Patriots' affinity for Mayfield."

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora previously noted the Pats' acquisition of the No. 23 overall pick to go along with their No. 31 selection was "all about a quarterback." He also suggested the team has an eye on moving up to take Mayfield.

Although it's possible Patriots head coach Bill Belichick uses his draft capital to trade up inside the top five, which is where he may have to be to land the Sooners standout, it feels more like a typical predraft smokescreen for a few reasons.

First, longtime Patriots starter Tom Brady continues to play at an MVP level. He completed 66.3 percent of his throws for 4,577 yards with 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions while playing all 16 regular-season games last season. His 102.8 passer rating ranked third in the NFL.

Moving up nearly 20 spots in Round 1 for a quarterback prospect who won't play right away would be a bold move.

The New England brass also has the incentive to suggest interest in one of the draft class' prized quarterback prospects. Two of their AFC East division rivals, the Jets and Buffalo Bills, have already traded up in the first round, possibly to land a new signal-caller.

New York now owns the third overall pick, while the Bills possess Nos. 12 and 22, giving them the potential resources to jump inside of the top five.

With the Patriots looming and the New York Giants possibly open for business at No. 2, according to ESPN's Todd McShay (via NESN.com), the Pats could get the Jets, Bills or both to overpay to stay ahead of them.

And if more QBs come off the board early, more top prospects at other positions could slide to New England later in the first round.

Archived