Are we done in FA??

BornJetsFan1983

The thing about free agency is when you give a player multi year contracts you almost always over pay. Second or third year you regret that and have a cap hit due to the drop off in ability of said player. If you are close to being a Super Bowl contender it is worth the gamble. Jets are not close for that reason I think Mac has done a good job upgrading the roster and not risking cap hell till it looks that they can contend. Getting the QB of the future will be the biggest step in this process. If he hits on that pick the Jets will have the cap space to move forward. Draft is such a crap shoot there are 4 maybe 5 with the move to three in the draft the odds of selecting a true FQB are greatly improved 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So far the following groups have been improved upon from last year.  Some significantly.

QB,RB,WR,OL,CB.  LB is at worst a wash, if not an upgrade.

What do you call that?  

If I were being honest I call it bullsh*t. 

Your definition of upgrades is, IMO, exceptionally questionable in this case.:lol:

The only position we are demonstrably better at, on paper, is CB. We might be better if a few of these castoff losers vastly exceed expectations but that’s hardly a given. Most of them were changing out one JAG for another JAG.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Your definition of upgrades is, IMO, exceptionally questionable in this case.:lol:

The only position we are demonstrably better at, on paper, is CB. We might be better if a few of these castoff losers vastly exceed expectations but that’s hardly a given. Most of them were changing out one JAG for another JAG.

Debbie dowwwwwwnnnnnnwwweeeerrr

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

How do you define "Striking out" in Free Agency?

If a GM "tries real hard" but signs almost no one of note, is that striking out?  Or is it not, because he "tried"?

We got one good FA this year (the CB), and a handful of side-grades and backups, whilst sitting on the largest cap space in the NFL.

How would you describe that?

SOJ in the extreme.

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Debbie dowwwwwwnnnnnnwwweeeerrr

Truth cares not for emotional sensitivities.  

The response tells em everything, as no one can really make a legitimate argument that most of these pickups are really upgrades (other than the CB of course).  When you cannot defend a position, attack the critic.

I'm sorry that Macc has done a piss poor job of upgrading the team this offseason so far.  That our collective hopes rest on if Bridgewater comes back to he "greatness" after two full years away.  That some of these run-of-mill JAG type players blossom, or that role-filler-at-best Vets become more than they've been before.  But that's the truth of it so far.  Sidegrades and slight upgrades at best.  One material upgrade, at CB of course.

And of course that our pick at #3 (which cost us ~3 should-be-starter picks) is THE guy from this class, of course.

Has nothing to do with being an upper or downer, it's just looking at the moves, and seeing them for what they are.  

Haven't we learned anything as fans when it comes to free agency? Once Cousins was gone, Macc grabbed the best "young" CB on the market. 

The Titans LB was also younger than DD & had a really good season (my son lives in TN & said this guy is on the upswing), I had no idea who he even was. I like the choices he's made, and the fact we moved up for a QB. Not many teams were in cap trouble this year so the market wasn't loaded like in some years. With a projected 109 million next year we can add a few more pcs. 

We have a lot of questions and very few SUPER STARS but football in a team game, we have a plan on offense with Bates & a new Oline coach in Dennison. If Enunwa is 100%, we have a nice GROUP of WRs in Anderson-Kearse-Enunwa- Pryor. I'd like to see the Jets draft a RB at the top of the 3rd if one falls like Penny. Crowell- Rawls-Penny- McGuire would be another nice GROUP of RBs. So far, so good now let's get that QB and surround him with some elite talent next year.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The response tells em everything, as no one can really make a legitimate argument that most of these pickups are really upgrades (other than the CB of course).  When you cannot defend a position, attack the critic.

I'm sorry that Macc has done a piss poor job of upgrading the team this offseason so far.  That our collective hopes rest on if Bridgewater comes back to he "greatness" after two full years away.  That some of these run-of-mill JAG type players blossom, or that role-filler-at-best Vets become more than they've been before.  But that's the truth of it so far.  Sidegrades and slight upgrades at best.  One material upgrade, at CB of course.

And of course that our pick at #3 (which cost us ~3 should-be-starter picks) is THE guy from this class, of course.

Has nothing to do with being an upper or downer, it's just looking at the moves, and seeing them for what they are.  

Our hopes do not rest on bridgewater, he just gives us another option to help solve the long term issue at QB. very few would expect Teddy to be the answer but he can be, the 1st rd pick also can be.  Neither of them may work out but we now have 2 chances to solve that issue rather than 1.  He's handled this offseason very well.  there's still a lot of work to be done but w/ a good draft this month, a good one next year and all the cap room we have next year things are looking really good for the future of this franchise. we actually have some hope for the first time in a long time.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Actually the secondary was upgraded substantially with Johnson + Clairborne. Morris moving to the 2nd CB spot is a HUGE UPGRADE there too. We were rolling out Burris, Skrine, ect. The safeties, Adams, Maye, Brooks, will be better just based on getting 16 games experience in the system. Only a few college players BURST on the scene on defense in this league. CBs more than any other because you can just have them man up & they're really not having to figure out a scheme like LBs, Safeties. 

That 2nd CB spot was really weak last year, also the Center spot was very weak too & if Long can solidify the position, that's another area of weakness upgraded. All he has to do is be better than a 32 ranking & we've upgraded. I also think Shell will be better from experience, Winters will be better because he won't be playing with a torn shoulder, Beachum will be better blocking in a zone scheme because he doesn't have the trunk for the power game. 

We have a lot of young players getting NFL experience. I agree with you that we don't know their total upside yet, but players come out of nowhere all the time in this league. We don't know if Clark or Jones, maybe Robinson becomes a Malcom Butler? What I'd like to see is us stick with an offense finally! My god, we're constantly playing musical chairs no wonder we have no system in place. Let's get our QB, put in a system & freaking stick with it so we can build on something. Nothing pisses me off more than that!

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Our hopes do not rest on bridgewater, he just gives us another option to help solve the long term issue at QB. very few would expect Teddy to be the answer but he can be, the 1st rd pick also can be.  Neither of them may work out but we now have 2 chances to solve that issue rather than 1.  He's handled this offseason very well.  there's still a lot of work to be done but w/ a good draft this month, a good one next year and all the cap room we have next year things are looking really good for the future of this franchise. we actually have some hope for the first time in a long time.

Of course he has improved the team

Helps to know who the players we signed are.  Other than one CB. 

To say we haven't improved the talent on the team is ridiculous.  One rag talked about the Jets being the most improved team this offseason for what that's worth.  Not quite we've done nothing though.  

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

You can call it whatever you choose. In my opinion you come across as uninformed and petty.

The main difference between your view and my view appears to be that you only count it if the position is vastly improved(or signed a high end free agent).  I count it if they actually appear to better, even if incrementally.  I'll use QB as an example.  You appear not to be think they have upgraded there.  They went from McCown/Petty to McCown/Bridgewater.  The QB depth chart is better.  If you don't think it's a ton better, fine.  If you disregard its better however, I don't really value your input.  Not saying that to be a prick, but just no sense arguing.

I do find it funny that you are saying you are looking at the moves and "seeing what they are".  It appears to me, you are seeing what they aren't.  They aren't Cousins, or Richburg or Allen Robinson and therefore saying they aren't upgrades, because they aren't the obvious upgrades those types of signings would be.  

25 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You can call it whatever you choose. In my opinion you come across as uninformed and petty.

The main difference between your view and my view appears to be that you only count it if the position is vastly improved(or signed a high end free agent).  I count it if they actually appear to better, even if incrementally.  I'll use QB as an example.  You appear not to be think they have upgraded there.  They went from McCown/Petty to McCown/Bridgewater.  The QB depth chart is better.  If you don't think it's a ton better, fine.  If you disregard its better however, I don't really value your input.  Not saying that to be a prick, but just no sense arguing.

I do find it funny that you are saying you are looking at the moves and "seeing what they are".  It appears to me, you are seeing what they aren't.  They aren't Cousins, or Richburg or Allen Robinson and therefore saying they aren't upgrades, because they aren't the obvious upgrades those types of signings would be.  

Cousins, Richburg, Allan Robinson... three players that were never really available to us. Richburg perhaps, but at a price that would have been highway robbery. He already has a ridiculous contract with SF. My guess is that the same poster would be screaming about the lousy contract if we paid him accordingly and then remind us all in his wisdom that he has a serious injury history and is a dubious acquisition.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don’t think you grasp what free agency really is in this league.  It’s not a way to build your team for sustained success.  The player pool as a whole for free agancy isnt your top tier talent, with maybe a couple exceptions every year.  We see this every year with this fan base, unrealistic expectations in free agency.  You are never going to fill all of your needs with pro bowl caliber players in one free agency period.  You build your team through the draft and by extending your successful draft picks.  Free agency is a stop gap way of filling out your roster with decent players.  You will never turn your team from a 5 win team to an 11 win team through free agency.  It’s comical reading the posts of some of you guys complaining about this.  

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I do find it humerus that you are saying you are looking at the moves and "seeing what they are".  It appears to me, you are seeing what they aren't.  They aren't Cousins, or Richburg or Allen Robinson and therefore saying they aren't upgrades, because they aren't the obvious upgrades those types of signings would be.  

Yes Hawk, I am saying the moves are not material upgrades but sidegrades (mostly) or unknowns (Bridgewater).  Again, exception is the CB (of course, Bowles, lol).

Yes Hawk, I'm saying a minor incremental "upgrade" at a position of serious deficiency (like say, Center) is still just a side-grade till proven otherwise.

If you want to jerk off over exceptionally minor side-grades, I don't really value your input either tbqh.  This offseason has been one of the weakest I can recall in terms of truly upgrading the talent of the roster.  This is the problem with "Homers", who are, IMO, the worst people to discuss anything objective with because (in classic Ray Ray style) EVERY move is the greatest move ever to a homer, till it fails, then the NEXT MOVE is the greatest ever.

All due respect, I was very clear, almost all the moves we've made are side-grades, not material upgrades, and as bad as our team was/is, and as much cap space as we had (most in NFL) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a few material upgrades of our low talent 2017 roster.

If you're all excited because of these moves, by all means, be excited.  My disdain of these side-grade moves shouldn't get your panties in a bunch if you really think these are GREAT MOVES right?  You should be able to cite stats and facts that prove I'm wrong, that our new Center is a stud, our flip flop at LB a real true upgrade, proof Teddy B will be an all-pro, that Taylor at WR will be a 1,000 WR right?  If not.....well, side-grades are side-grades, and I'm not going to waste energy getting optimistic about this sh*t show of a regime just to placate folks who want to live in a fantasy.

5 wins.  5 wins.  You want me to be more homer like you guys, how about we put out a product that wins more than 5 games and isn;t considered one of the least talented rosters in the NFL, eh?  Then I'll join you in the circle-jerk.

55 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I agree with you that we don't know their total upside yet, but players come out of nowhere all the time in this league.

If we require "players to come out of nowhere", well, 1. it's an admission the players were at the time of their signing either side-grade JAG's or unknowns, and B. living in a fantasy world where Macc, of all people, is suddenly finding all these dimanonds in the rough that will surprise the world.

Sorry, this is homerism.  And Macc hasn't earned it.

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think you grasp what free agency really is in this league.  It’s not a way to build your team for sustained success.  The player pool as a whole for free agancy isnt your top tier talent, with maybe a couple exceptions every year.  We see this every year with this fan base, unrealistic expectations in free agency.  You are never going to fill all of your needs with pro bowl caliber players in one free agency period.  You build your team through the draft and by extending your successful draft picks.  Free agency is a stop gap way of filling out your roster with decent players.  You will never turn your team from a 5 win team to an 11 win team through free agency.  It’s comical reading the posts of some of you guys complaining about this.  

So success is built through the draft then?  The draft we traded three 2nd round picks away in?

Holy Homer Central, it's almost like you folks all took some mind-wiping drug that has made you forget this regimes record so far.

Suddenly every move is great!  So what is near on NO moves this GM and Coach have made have been great today, NOW is different?

/facepalm

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

No, our hopes apparently rest on "great players" like Crowell, Taylor and some guy named Harrison at Center.  

And our future clearly rests on Macc, who drafted Petty and Hack, drafting the right QB at pick #3 in this draft, with almost assuredly the top 2 QB's off the board.

And everyone is optimistic now?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So success is built through the draft then?  The draft we traded three 2nd round picks away in?

Holy Homer Central, it's almost like you folks all took some mind-wiping drug that has made you forget this regimes record so far.

Suddenly every move is great!  So what is near on NO moves this GM and Coach have made have been great today, NOW is different?

/facepalm

Where did I say the drafting has been great?  Or I think Mac is a great GM?   All i said was your child like complaining about free agency is comical because it appears you have no idea what free agency is really all about.  It’s kinda embarrassing that you’ve been following this team for as long as you have and can’t come to these conclusions.  

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes Hawk, I am saying the moves are not material upgrades but sidegrades (mostly) or unknowns (Bridgewater).  Again, exception is the CB (of course, Bowles, lol).

Yes Hawk, I'm saying a minor incremental "upgrade" at a position of serious deficiency (like say, Center) is still just a side-grade till proven otherwise.

If you want to jerk off over exceptionally minor side-grades, I don't really value your input either tbqh.  This offseason has been one of the weakest I can recall in terms of truly upgrading the talent of the roster.  This is the problem with "Homers", who are, IMO, the worst people to discuss anything objective with because (in classic Ray Ray style) EVERY move is the greatest move ever to a homer, till it fails, then the NEXT MOVE is the greatest ever.

All due respect, I was very clear, almost all the moves we've made are side-grades, not material upgrades, and as bad as our team was/is, and as much cap space as we had (most in NFL) I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a few material upgrades of our low talent 2017 roster.

If you're all excited because of these moves, by all means, be excited.  My disdain of these side-grade moves shouldn't get your panties in a bunch if you really think these are GREAT MOVES right?  You should be able to cite stats and facts that prove I'm wrong, that our new Center is a stud, our flip flop at LB a real true upgrade, proof Teddy B will be an all-pro, that Taylor at WR will be a 1,000 WR right?  If not.....well, side-grades are side-grades, and I'm not going to waste energy getting optimistic about this sh*t show of a regime just to placate folks who want to live in a fantasy.

5 wins.  5 wins.  You want me to be more homer like you guys, how about we put out a product that wins more than 5 games and isn;t considered one of the least talented rosters in the NFL, eh?  Then I'll join you in the circle-jerk.

This response is essentially my entire point towards you. I never said they were great, huge impact moves.  That makes you look stupid to try and argue that point. I even make a point to say otherwise.

If you think they are "sidegrades" then right on.  Most people, homer or not, would disagree. But hey, you are the objective one, so what do I know.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, our hopes apparently rest on "great players" like Crowell, Taylor and some guy named Harrison at Center.  

And our future clearly rests on Macc, who drafted Petty and Hack, drafting the right QB at pick #3 in this draft, with almost assuredly the top 2 QB's off the board.

those players are basically like rentals.  we get to see what they can do and decide if we want them here longterm after this season when we have a league high cap amount.

Petty was a late rd pick, he took a gamble on Hack and lost.  He hasn't selected a high 1 at QB so it's not fair to assume that b/c Hack didn't pan out or a 4th rounder didn't pan out that he can't find a QB and again we get 2 shots w/ Teddy and the pick.  Teddy was on his way to becoming a good NFL QB before the injury, if he gets fully healthy he gives us 2 chances to solve this problem we have basically had since 1960 outside of a few healthy years for Namath, a Vinny season, Chad for a couple of seasons...

if we can't be optimistic now then why do we watch?  I have been following this team since the early 80s.  we had a good run in the 80s which ended in the late 80s.  since that time the most optimistic I have been about our franchise was probably when Parcells took over and Rex after his 1st year.  Other than that I think I am most optimistic now in that timeframe.  It doesn't mean it will work out but I feel really good about what we are doing.  IF we can finally hit on the QB we'll be really good for a long time.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This response is essentially my entire point towards you. I never said they were great, huge impact moves.  That makes you look stupid to try and argue that point. I even make a point to say otherwise.

If you think they are "sidegrades" then right on.  Most people, homer or not, would disagree. But hey, you are the objective one, so what do I know.

Exactly.  What were people expecting?  The second Cousins signed with Minny, the tone and trajectory of this team changes from a possible win now scenario to a developing rookie QB situation.  The facts are, that most of the bigger money FAs people wanted would be gone by the time this team is realistically ready to make a run.  

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  What were people expecting?  The second Cousins signed with Minny, the tone and trajectory of this team changes from a possible win now scenario to a developing rookie QB situation.  The facts are, that most of the bigger money FAs people wanted would be gone by the time this team is realistically ready to make a run.  

We went to the AFCG with a rookie qb who wasn’t even good

The main reason we should have fired Macagnan and Bowles last January is the Jets are now considered the Cleveland Browns. No one wants to sign here.

But now we have an even worse rep than the Browns because they have a capable guy John Dorsey running their franchise now

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If we require "players to come out of nowhere", well, 1. it's an admission the players were at the time of their signing either side-grade JAG's or unknowns, and B. living in a fantasy world where Macc, of all people, is suddenly finding all these dimanonds in the rough that will surprise the world.

Sorry, this is homerism.  And Macc hasn't earned it.

Why do you distort what people post here? You have no idea if there's a diamond in the rough on this squad yet. Did I say we were going to FILL OUT our roster with diamonds in the rough? 

We already have starting CBs in Johnson & Clairborne. We've got 5 young unproven guys in camp, Clark, Jones, Robinson, Coleman & Keaton. We're not asking for any of these guys to be our starting CBs, we're trying to find a couple to rise up & play nickel & dime in our scheme. Yes, maybe 1 of these guys shocks you & becomes an awesome 3rd,4th or 5th CB.

Brooks & Middleton showed some skills. We have no idea about Leggett yet. Everyone's trashing the WR core and Hanson showed a bit of skill last year. Tough to shine with McCown staring down Kearse & having very little time to throw & than play with Petty who was god awful.

Because the Jets are so thin & young in areas, more guys get a chance. Your thinking is exactly like the same Jet fans that said Enunwa should be cut before he even got a chance. Do I believe 4/5 guys will become pro bowlers, hell no, but 4/5 guys could in fact develop into low cost players who perform on Sunday in the roles the coaches find for them & help the Jets win. 

Stop pretending this isn't the 2nd year of a total rebuild, it is & we're taking a QB at #3. We signed younger players in free agency than in the past. We'll have over 100 million in 2019 + our 1st round pick. Yes, rebuilding is painful, but we're actually "really" rebuilding, no more stop gap older mega free agents (glad we passed on Suh). Our sights are set on a franchise QB. I remember when we cut everyone in the 2017 offseason and a poster here said, "most Jet fans won't be able to handle a true rebuild of the roster because it will take at least 3 years". We're seeing that here after Macc didn't SIGN EVERY HIGH PRICED FREE AGENT. We wanted Tannenbaum canned for doing that, you can't have it both ways. I've been a fan of this team since Namath, and I'm willing to see this thing through because we have NEVER, EVER, COMPLETELY REBUILT THE JETS. This organization could never resist the temptation of bandaids to please their blood thirsty fans. It's been a long time coming, and I'm gonna let this play out to its conclusion. Let's pray that we get our franchise guy & take over the AFC east for the 1st time in our history.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

How do you define "Striking out" in Free Agency?

If a GM "tries real hard" but signs almost no one of note, is that striking out?  Or is it not, because he "tried"?

We got one good FA this year (the CB), and a handful of side-grades and backups, whilst sitting on the largest cap space in the NFL.

How would you describe that?

An overall upgrade of our roster while not leaving us in cap hell next year. If some of these one year deal players work out great. If they don't we jettison them with no dead money on the cap.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Again, what players would you have pursued and acquired and at what price in FA (how high would you have gone)? The question is really not -- how much did they upgrade, but how much did they address with the hope of an upgrade given the available FA's. I'm not really optimistic or pessimistic at this point. The discussion was more about whether the Jets addressed some areas of concern in FA, given the reality of what wasavailable. They did a decent job in my estimation. OL was a critical concern, particularly center, and they picked up two -- one will be an upgrade almost by default as WJ was terrible. The other is a flex guy for depth. Kind of what happens in FA usually. The top talent either goes for incredibly inflated prices or remains with their original team. Very few elite players actually are out there for the highest bidder.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Where did I say the drafting has been great?  Or I think Mac is a great GM?   All i said was your child like complaining about free agency is comical because it appears you have no idea what free agency is really all about.  It’s kinda embarrassing that you’ve been following this team for as long as you have and can’t come to these conclusions.  

Free Agency is about improving your team.  We did so materially in only one place, CB. 

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Again, what players would you have pursued and acquired and at what price in FA (how high would you have gone)? The question is really not -- how much did they upgrade, but how much did they address with the hope of an upgrade given the available FA's. I'm not really optimistic or pessimistic at this point. The discussion was more about whether the Jets addressed some areas of concern in FA, given the reality of what wasavailable. They did a decent job in my estimation. OL was a critical concern, particularly center, and they picked up two -- one will be an upgrade almost by default as WJ was terrible. The other is a flex guy for depth. Kind of what happens in FA usually. The top talent either goes for incredibly inflated prices or remains with their original team. Very few elite players actually are out there for the highest bidder.

We had no problem signing a bunch of players in 2015 but that’s before Mike Macagnan and Todd Bowles got exposed as dumb and dumber

There are plenty of mid and low level free agents who would have helped us

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The best unintentionally funny joke of the day.

The thing I'm more worried about with Bridgewater is that we traded 3 #2's to move up in the draft (to obviously draft a QB) and yet he still signed with us like a day or two later.  If he has so few options that he were the best team he could find (McCown named starter going into the offseason and a rookie QB on the way) then what does that say about what teams think of him?

I think the Bridgewater deal is a win / win deal. Very little pressure on TB since McCown will start and there will be a Rookie there too . The Jets can can him after TC if he doesn't work out with no cap hit going forward. If he gets back to his old form that's a HUGE plus for the Jets.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

I think the Bridgewater deal is a win / win deal. Very little pressure on TB since McCown will start and there will be a Rookie there too . The Jets can can him after TC if he doesn't work out with no cap hit going forward. If he gets back to his old form that's a HUGE plus for the Jets.

The problem with the Bridgewater signing is he literally is a waste of space.  He takes up a roster spot when we should be drafting two qbs

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Can't debate with Homers I guess, /shrug. 

Let's talk when these "upgrades" win 10+ games in 2018.

Or are we still on the "in 5 years we'll compete, maybe" plan, even with all these "upgrades"?

And yes, I'm vastly more objective than 99% of the homers on this site, without a doubt.  The pigpile on me for expressing ANY criticism of these great "upgrades" in FA is evidence of that.  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Doesn't matter who I might name, it'll just get the same exact response as any talk of our failure to land Cousins:  i.e. "oh, he didn't want to come here anyway, Macc had no chance, why are you complaining, you're so stupid! :rolleyes:

Apparently Macc did literally the perfect job so far.  He got every FA he "could", none he "couldn't", we got lots of "upgrades", despite all the evidence to the contrary, and any desire for more or better is just stupid SOJ'ism.

So yeah, great.  /shrug.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Free Agency is about improving your team.  We did so materially in only one place, CB. 

Free agency is also about not hurting your team. You can debate whether the players that were acquired were improvements over the players they were replacing from last year's roster; however, the real positive from this FA period is how Maccagnan did not sacrifice the future. The Jets, even after spending a ton of money, are projected to have the most cap space in the league heading into next offseason. The organization anticipates having a young franchise QB on the roster going into next off-season, which in theory should make the team significantly more palatable to big ticket FAs. 

Just now, maury77 said:

Free agency is also about not hurting your team.

Agreed.

Just now, maury77 said:

You can debate whether the players that were acquired were improvements over the players they were replacing from last year's roster

Apparently not, if this thread is any indication.

Just now, maury77 said:

...however, the real positive from this FA period is how Maccagnan did not sacrifice the future. The Jets, even after spending a ton of money, are projected to have the most cap space in the league heading into next offseason. The organization anticipates having a young franchise QB on the roster going into next off-season, which in theory should make the team significantly more palatable to big ticket FAs. 

Cap Space unspent does not win football games.

And frankly, the "oh, just wait till 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and THEN we'll be great because :cap space: and :reasons: is getting tired at this stage.

I don't see a failure to act or succeed as a GM as something to applaud.  Staying the top-cap-available team two years in a row, not something to applaud.  This isn't a balance sheet competition, it's football.

JMO, clearly not one held by the majority right now.  We'll see how folks feel after the upcoming season I guess. If Teddy B. shocks the world, my criticism may be moot.  Who knows.

Archived