Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Overall pretty happy this year in FA, but is there any other starters out there? I thought I read about someone asking to much money? Lets get him that 1 year deal BABY!!

Seriously anyone we need to call????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hankins might be the last piece.  

As far as pass rushers, we are not gonna my t find them at cut down day.

I think with most of the needs being answered via free agency, if there is a pass rusher the Jets really like, they could package some of their picks to jump into the second round to grab one.

If we miss out on Hankins, look for the Jets to add a DL at some point.  Where depends on their confidence on Pennel and Cooper to fill the role vacated by Wilkerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think Hankins might be the last piece.  
As far as pass rushers, we are not gonna my t find them at cut down day.
I think with most of the needs being answered via free agency, if there is a pass rusher the Jets really like, they could package some of their picks to jump into the second round to grab one.
If we miss out on Hankins, look for the Jets to add a DL at some point.  Where depends on their confidence on Pennel and Cooper to fill the role vacated by Wilkerson.

I could fill Wilkerson’s role and I’m 5’11” 150 lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not the biggest fan of this free agency.

#1. Im still unsure about this Oline and it will be difficult to add to it now that we've traded both our 2nd round picks to the Colts in order to move up 3 spots in the draft. Spencer Long is probably an upgrade given how horrible Wesley Johnson was, but to NFL standards the guy seems to be below average. The other Center, Travis Swanson actually graded out worse than Wesley Johnson on PFF. This is how we handled the Oline. 

#2. "The New York Browns". Folks can talk all day about Josh McCown being a mentor, I get it...he's a nice guy, but between Fitzpatrick and McCown we've not seen 3 years worth of mentoring pay off in any way. So until otherwise that mentor stuff is for the birds. With that said, the Jets resigned Josh McCown while signing WR Terrele Pryor and RB Isaiah Crowell. They were the starting QB, WR and RB for the 1-15 Browns in 2016. That doesnt make me feel very confident. 

#3. Letting Demario Davis walk was a shame. He played all 3 downs, played at a very high level and was arguably the most consistent defender on the team. We replace him with a poor man's version of Davis who seen his production drop from taking 86% of the snaps on the Titans defense in 2016 to just 60% in 2017. He's a 2 down back that doesnt even play 100% of the 2 downs. I wonder who the Jets will have on the field on 3rd down. 

#4. Teddy Bridgewater wouldnt have even been a pick up if not for his knee...he would still be a Viking. That knee injury was so bad that they actually let him walk and gave Cousins a fully guaranteed contract. The Jets pick up Bridgewater and on paper he's the best QB we have and one of the best QB's to get excited about in decades (sad, I know), but we dont even know if he can play on his knee. Bridgewater may not even make it past cuts. The fact that the Jets resigned McCown and gave him the starting job gives me the indication that the Jets may not even believe that Bridgewater could actually compete for the job due to the knee. 

#5. We signed the top CB in free agency. Should we be surprised? All this regime has cared about is the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary. Just look at the signings, money and draft picks thrown at the secondary since Macc/Bowles took over. We might as well have stuck with Rex Ryan. 

6. We signed Andre Roberts to help with our special teams return game, yet he's not even good at returning the football.  He's a wide receiver and hasnt put together a respectable season since 2012. This will be his 9th year in the league and he has less than 3,000 yards receiving. 

7. This is the upgrade in my opinion. Clive Walford is a better TE than ASJ. He has nice consistent hands and is a pretty good in-line TE. I have no idea what Bucky Hodges can do. But I think Clive is a slightly better TE than ASJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not the biggest fan of this free agency.

#1. Im still unsure about this Oline and it will be difficult to add to it now that we've traded both our 2nd round picks to the Colts in order to move up 3 spots in the draft. Spencer Long is probably an upgrade given how horrible Wesley Johnson was, but to NFL standards the guy seems to be below average. The other Center, Travis Swanson actually graded out worse than Wesley Johnson on PFF. This is how we handled the Oline. 

#2. "The New York Browns". Folks can talk all day about Josh McCown being a mentor, I get it...he's a nice guy, but between Fitzpatrick and McCown we've not seen 3 years worth of mentoring pay off in any way. So until otherwise that mentor stuff is for the birds. With that said, the Jets resigned Josh McCown while signing WR Terrele Pryor and RB Isaiah Crowell. They were the starting QB, WR and RB for the 1-15 Browns in 2016. That doesnt make me feel very confident. 

#3. Letting Demario Davis walk was a shame. He played all 3 downs, played at a very high level and was arguably the most consistent defender on the team. We replace him with a poor man's version of Davis who seen his production drop from taking 86% of the snaps on the Titans defense in 2016 to just 60% in 2017. He's a 2 down back that doesnt even play 100% of the 2 downs. I wonder who the Jets will have on the field on 3rd down. 

#4. Teddy Bridgewater wouldnt have even been a pick up if not for his knee...he would still be a Viking. That knee injury was so bad that they actually let him walk and gave Cousins a fully guaranteed contract. The Jets pick up Bridgewater and on paper he's the best QB we have and one of the best QB's to get excited about in decades (sad, I know), but we dont even know if he can play on his knee. Bridgewater may not even make it past cuts. The fact that the Jets resigned McCown and gave him the starting job gives me the indication that the Jets may not even believe that Bridgewater could actually compete for the job due to the knee. 

#5. We signed the top CB in free agency. Should we be surprised? All this regime has cared about is the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary. Just look at the signings, money and draft picks thrown at the secondary since Macc/Bowles took over. We might as well have stuck with Rex Ryan. 

6. We signed Andre Roberts to help with our special teams return game, yet he's not even good at returning the football.  He's a wide receiver and hasnt put together a respectable season since 2012. This will be his 9th year in the league and he has less than 3,000 yards receiving. 

7. This is the upgrade in my opinion. Clive Walford is a better TE than ASJ. He has nice consistent hands and is a pretty good in-line TE. I have no idea what Bucky Hodges can do. But I think Clive is a slightly better TE than ASJ

So we sign a couple of OL, aWR, couple of RBs, TE, STs guy and because the best player is a CB were all about defense?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we sign a couple of OL, aWR, couple of RBs, TE, STs guy and because the best player is a CB were all about defense?  

LOL. Yeah, VTF is trying too hard to spin everything as a negative. By comparison, look at some of the contracts the 49ers doled out for McKinnon and Richburg. The Jets were overall quite careful in their spending in a relatively sparse FA market. Marginal upgrades were pretty much in the cards. Pryor was a good signing, Bridgewater was a no-risk flyer, Crowell is an upgrade over Forte (who cares about the Browns' record, it's irrelevant.) CB was an urgent need and they resolved it as well as it could have been resolved with the signing of both Johnson and Claiborne.  Our secondary looks pretty strong now and is not a high need heading into the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not the biggest fan of this free agency.

#1. Im still unsure about this Oline and it will be difficult to add to it now that we've traded both our 2nd round picks to the Colts in order to move up 3 spots in the draft. Spencer Long is probably an upgrade given how horrible Wesley Johnson was, but to NFL standards the guy seems to be below average. The other Center, Travis Swanson actually graded out worse than Wesley Johnson on PFF. This is how we handled the Oline. 

#2. "The New York Browns". Folks can talk all day about Josh McCown being a mentor, I get it...he's a nice guy, but between Fitzpatrick and McCown we've not seen 3 years worth of mentoring pay off in any way. So until otherwise that mentor stuff is for the birds. With that said, the Jets resigned Josh McCown while signing WR Terrele Pryor and RB Isaiah Crowell. They were the starting QB, WR and RB for the 1-15 Browns in 2016. That doesnt make me feel very confident. 

#3. Letting Demario Davis walk was a shame. He played all 3 downs, played at a very high level and was arguably the most consistent defender on the team. We replace him with a poor man's version of Davis who seen his production drop from taking 86% of the snaps on the Titans defense in 2016 to just 60% in 2017. He's a 2 down back that doesnt even play 100% of the 2 downs. I wonder who the Jets will have on the field on 3rd down. 

#4. Teddy Bridgewater wouldnt have even been a pick up if not for his knee...he would still be a Viking. That knee injury was so bad that they actually let him walk and gave Cousins a fully guaranteed contract. The Jets pick up Bridgewater and on paper he's the best QB we have and one of the best QB's to get excited about in decades (sad, I know), but we dont even know if he can play on his knee. Bridgewater may not even make it past cuts. The fact that the Jets resigned McCown and gave him the starting job gives me the indication that the Jets may not even believe that Bridgewater could actually compete for the job due to the knee. 

#5. We signed the top CB in free agency. Should we be surprised? All this regime has cared about is the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary. Just look at the signings, money and draft picks thrown at the secondary since Macc/Bowles took over. We might as well have stuck with Rex Ryan. 

6. We signed Andre Roberts to help with our special teams return game, yet he's not even good at returning the football.  He's a wide receiver and hasnt put together a respectable season since 2012. This will be his 9th year in the league and he has less than 3,000 yards receiving. 

7. This is the upgrade in my opinion. Clive Walford is a better TE than ASJ. He has nice consistent hands and is a pretty good in-line TE. I have no idea what Bucky Hodges can do. But I think Clive is a slightly better TE than ASJ

I agree with the first point -- I don't think our crappy offensive line has been substantially addressed. Spencer Long doesn't seem that great and we didn't add anyone else of substance. I think the hope is that 1) Dennison can get better production out of this group in his zone scheme 2) Winters plays better when healthy and 3) Shell continues to develop. The downside is that Carpenter is a worse fit for this offense and came here largely because he wanted to play in a power system. We still don't have a long term answer at LT.

The rest of your gripes seem to be overly critical. I didn't like the Crowell signing either but we largely added talented pieces on offense and defense and improved the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pcola said:

I think Hankins might be the last piece.  

As far as pass rushers, we are not gonna my t find them at cut down day.

I think with most of the needs being answered via free agency, if there is a pass rusher the Jets really like, they could package some of their picks to jump into the second round to grab one.

If we miss out on Hankins, look for the Jets to add a DL at some point.  Where depends on their confidence on Pennel and Cooper to fill the role vacated by Wilkerson.

sounds like hankins might be a good addition.  they don't need a dline of first rounders.  they need a line of guys who can play.  and they especially need a guy who can take some pressure off of leo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not the biggest fan of this free agency.

#1. Im still unsure about this Oline and it will be difficult to add to it now that we've traded both our 2nd round picks to the Colts in order to move up 3 spots in the draft. Spencer Long is probably an upgrade given how horrible Wesley Johnson was, but to NFL standards the guy seems to be below average.

#2. "The New York Browns".. With that said, the Jets resigned Josh McCown while signing WR Terrele Pryor and RB Isaiah Crowell. They were the starting QB, WR and RB for the 1-15 Browns in 2016. That doesnt make me feel very confident. 

#3. Letting Demario Davis walk

#4. Teddy Bridgewater wouldnt have even been a pick up if not for his knee...

#5. We signed the top CB in free agency. Should we be surprised? All this regime has cared about is the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary. Just look at the signings, money and draft picks thrown at the secondary since Macc/Bowles took over. We might as well have stuck with Rex Ryan. 

6. We signed Andre Roberts to help with our special teams return game, yet he's not even good at returning the football.  He's a wide receiver and hasnt put together a respectable season since 2012. This will be his 9th year in the league and he has less than 3,000 yards receiving. 

7. This is the upgrade in my opinion. Clive Walford is a better TE than ASJ. He has nice consistent hands and is a pretty good in-line TE. I have no idea what Bucky Hodges can do. But I think Clive is a slightly better TE than ASJ

What a downer you are today. Long is a definite upgrade over Johnson at C.  Pryor is a legit #1 WR, and Crowell is an upgrade over last years Matt Forte.

Bridgewater could turn into a real steal.

Let's see how Davis does next year in New Orleans. He got WAAAY over paid there.

CB Johnson-solid pick up.

Walford, as you said is a better TE than ASJ.

Most of the additions have been offensive yet you complain about too much emphasis on D. ?  You lost me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. Yeah, VTF is trying too hard to spin everything as a negative. By comparison, look at some of the contracts the 49ers doled out for McKinnon and Richburg. The Jets were overall quite careful in their spending in a relatively sparse FA market. Marginal upgrades were pretty much in the cards. Pryor was a good signing, Bridgewater was a no-risk flyer, Crowell is an upgrade over Forte (who cares about the Browns' record, it's irrelevant.) CB was an urgent need and they resolved it as well as it could have been resolved with the signing of both Johnson and Claiborne.  Our secondary looks pretty strong now and is not a high need heading into the draft.

McKinnon and Richberg....EXCELLENT examples of over spending. Both got insane $$. We'll see how it all works out by January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

What a downer you are today. Long is a definite upgrade over Johnson at C.  Pryor is a legit #1 WR, and Crowell is an upgrade over last years Matt Forte.

Bridgewater could turn into a real steal.

Let's see how Davis does next year in New Orleans. He got WAAAY over paid there.

CB Johnson-solid pick up.

Walford, as you said is a better TE than ASJ.

Most of the additions have been offensive yet you complain about too much emphasis on D. ?  You lost me.

Pryor - is a legit #1 wr?  Maybe in Canada

Long - agree an upgrade over Wes

Bridgewater- finishes next season on IR and wasn’t even good to begin with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Macagnan struck out more in FA than Bud Bundy at the prom

Seriously ? How so ? Was he suppose to put a gun to Cousins head to sign ? Personally I'm thrilled he's in Minny and not here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree with the first point -- I don't think our crappy offensive line has been substantially addressed. Spencer Long doesn't seem that great and we didn't add anyone else of substance. I think the hope is that 1) Dennison can get better production out of this group in his zone scheme 2) Winters plays better when healthy and 3) Shell continues to develop. The downside is that Carpenter is a worse fit for this offense and came here largely because he wanted to play in a power system. We still don't have a long term answer at LT.

The rest of your gripes seem to be overly critical. I didn't like the Crowell signing either but we largely added talented pieces on offense and defense and improved the team.

I don't think anyone could have fixed this team in one offseason. We are a couple more years away even if we hit on QB. Dennison may improve the line, but it will need to be further addressed in 2019. Hopefully we can get a guard in the 3rd or 4th that can replace Carpenter. Then in 2019 there will be hopefully a LT that is worth our first pick. LT, Edge players. Those guys don't hit free agency. So it's going to take time to fill those rolls since they also all mostly go in the first round. At least the high upside guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And he traded away the draft to move up for a QB that would have been there at 6. 

Oh and who might that be ? Didn't realize you had an inside "contact".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

McKinnon and Richberg....EXCELLENT examples of over spending. Both got insane $$. We'll see how it all works out by January.

The 49ers have a QB now, and they have cap space because, like the Jets, they did not draft well enough over the past 5+ years (after Scot left) to have any players worth signing to contracts.  Thus, if they wanted players good enough to get to the playoffs and compete, they had to pay through the nose.  

The Jets do not have a QB yet, but they should assume they are getting one.  This is where they lose me.  Macc did a good job signing value FAs, but I do share some of VTF's skepticism as to how good they end up being.  

The Trumaine Johnson signing, particularly given his age, made no sense to me.  If Mac wants to stick with high value signings, why give him all that guaranteed money?  When the rest of the Jets' pieces come together, hopefully, Johnson will be in decline.  

So to me, either they stick with 25-27 year old players who upgrade the roster and continue to focus on the draft, or  go for it and stock the roster and try to compete.  Yes, the Jets do not have a QB now, but they are expected to get one,  

The only way that a team can expect to sign a player for a fair deal is to extend their original contract.  Otherwise a good player can get a premium in FA.  What players have Mac extended?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social

Get Winning Picks

×