Rich Cimini" I'm predicting Baker Mayfield at No. 3....I really think they like Mayfield"

Jetsbb

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/75606/projecting-jets-best-case-scenario-at-qb-and-it-includes-baker-mayfield

I'm not pretending I know how the draft board is stacked -- still waiting for Mike Maccagnan's invitation to the war room -- but I talk to smart people and try to connect dots. That said, I'm predicting Baker Mayfield at No. 3 -- as of now. That could change before draft day. I know, I know, you've seen Josh Rosen-to-the-Jets in a lot of mock drafts, but I really think they like Mayfield. Yeah, there's some risk involved because of his size (a shade under 6-foot-1) and spread-offense roots, but he's also a winner with uncanny accuracy.

The UBCS would be for Mayfield to win the starting job for Week 1, but that's simply not realistic. Coach Todd Bowles will play the quarterback who gives him the best chance to win, and the organization believes Josh McCown still is that guy. They're not paying him $10 million to carry the clipboard for 16 games. Best case: McCown wins the job and hands the baton to Mayfield at some point during the season. See: the 2004 New York Giants, Kurt Warner to Eli Manning.

Teddy Bridgewater? The UBCS would be a healthy knee, a lights-out performance in the preseason and a trade to a team that loses its starter to injury. They wouldn't get a lot for Bridgewater because he's signed for only one year, but he'd be worth something to a desperate team.

On April 26, we'll start to see how it really turns out.

Rich Cimini keeps doubling down on his belief Jets have Baker Mayfield as their top choice. You can say smoke screen but doesn't that leave a beat reporter who covers your team every day out to dry?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

**** me if we pass on Rosen/Allen/Darnold for Mayfield. Would be the most jetsiest thing ever, take the small, unathletic project qb cause he's a leader and grabs his balls.

That young man is anything but “unathletic” Shows your ignorance on this particular player.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That young man is anything but “unathletic” Shows your ignorance on this particular player.

Mayfield isn’t a statue, but he’s certainly not as athletic as many in the pro-Baker camp are making him out to be.

In terms of avoiding pressure and moving outside the pocket, Mayfield is a helluva lot more comparable to a guy like Case Keenum than he is Russell Wilson.

I'm OK with passing on Rosen, for Darnold, Allen an Mayfield in that order.  Between saying he didn't want to play for Cleveland, to wearing a F-Trump hat (politics should stay the hell out of football) and the fact that's he's not mobile and a target for injuries, I'm just not comfortable with him.  He's a guy who appears to put himself before his team and the NFL.  I don't think we need someone like him despite how pretty his passes are.  Regardless I still think the Jets will draft him.

I've said all along I am 100% fine with Mayfield.  I actually prefer him to Rosen, ever so slightly.  

I actually think Rosen will be the pick, just because he is probably the least risky/best chance for immediate payoff, and that seems like something that a Coach and GM who might be on the hot seat might value.

9 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I'm OK with passing on Rosen, for Darnold, Allen an Mayfield in that order.  Between saying he didn't want to play for Cleveland, to wearing a F-Trump hat (politics should stay the hell out of football) and the fact that's he's not mobile and a target for injuries, I'm just not comfortable with him.  He's a guy who appears to put himself before his team and the NFL.  I don't think we need someone like him despite how pretty his passes are.  Regardless I still think the Jets will draft him.

I think you just described an extremely talented young person who does not conform to the "antiquated" social norms of the current powers that be; his rebelliousness is consistent with his generation of being out spoken and may even be considered attractive and lauded enough by his millennial peers to even possibly draw in their viewership. 

Pretty much sounds like a modern day version of Joe Namath with whom EVERYONE here LOVES, even those who never saw him play. 

Why do people continue to lie about Mayfield's game when Oklahoma was basically on TV every

weekend of the football season?  Did they choose not to watch, not know what they were

watching or are they just biased against Mayfield?

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Cimini mocked Marshon Lattimore to the Jets last year, and had Dante Fowler going to the Jets the year before. Safe to say he doesn't know his d*ck from his elbow.

that must have been some weird adolescent "self-discovery" years for him as a teen. lol. :D

11 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

How has he put himself above his team?

I saw Namath play and he wasn't anything like Rosen.  I question anyone's judgement who is trying to be drafted and says they don't want to play for team drafting first then reverses himself, and the politicization of football is just distasteful to me.  Everything else seems to be getting political, can't we just have one bastion where politics doesn't play and we just can enjoy the game.   

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

I saw Namath play and he wasn't anything like Rosen.  I question anyone's judgement who is trying to be drafted and says they don't want to play for team drafting first then reverses himself, and the politicization of football is just distasteful to me.  Everything else seems to be getting political, can't we just have one bastion where politics doesn't play and we just can enjoy the game.   

I agree with your basic premise that politics should stay out of football. 

I'm just saying, like Namath, he's considered outspoken and "the people/media" jump all over that. He's a bright young kid who's EXTREMELY talented and who's passes, IMO, remind me of Marino. I think once he matures, and REALIZES what's at stake when you try to cross that line (unsigned FA Safety Eric Reid says hello) Rosen will clam up and just play football. 

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I agree with your basic premise that politics should stay out of football. 

I'm just saying, like Namath, he's considered outspoken and "the people/media" jump all over that. He's a bright young kid who's EXTREMELY talented and who's passes, IMO, remind me of Marino. I think once he matures, and REALIZES what's at stake when you try to cross that line (unsigned FA Safety Eric Reid says hello) Rosen will clam up and just play football. 

When first overall pick was at stake he didn't clam up.  He knew he was making a political statement when he wore that hat.  Namath was colorful and fun, but from my perspective never acted like he was better than anyone else.  I don't see those qualities in Rosen.  Namath was more like Mayfield come to think of it.

13 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It’s not like Rosen is walking around blasting Trump. He wore a hat once. When you hear rumors that he’s a sh*t-stirrer, it’s in reference to him saying that the NCAA is a joke, which it is, but it’s a profitable joke that keeps a lot of otherwise unemployable people employed at the expense of uncompensated labor. Naturally, having labor point out that management is a cadre of vampires is going to cause those vampires to lash out.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not like Rosen is walking around blasting Trump. He wore a hat once. When you hear rumors that he’s a sh*t-stirrer, it’s in reference to him saying that the NCAA is a joke, which it is, but it’s a profitable joke that keeps a lot of otherwise unemployable people employed at the expense of uncompensated labor. Naturally, having labor point out that management is a cadre of vampires is going to cause those vampires to lash out.

Is he a quarterback, or a freedom fighter, I'm not sure. 

35 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

? He wore an F -Trump hat!!!

I'm in. ???

But, I agree, keep your politics out of my football! ?

26 minutes ago, KRL said:

Why do people continue to lie about Mayfield's game when Oklahoma was basically on TV every

weekend of the football season?  Did they choose not to watch, not know what they were

watching or are they just biased against Mayfield?

Good question. Personally I’m just happy happy we are finally drafting a QB. Two will make me more happy than the other two but in the end Im going to be happy with a real life potentially franchise caliber young QB. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The standard we hold these 21-22 year old kids fresh out of college is literally hysterical. My 21 year old son took a wax pencil and secretly drew dicks on the side of Easter eggs my daughters and wife were coloring so after they took the color.. yeah you guessed it. Pretty sure he is dropping to the seventh round for that . 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

The standard we hold these 21-22 year old kids fresh out of college is literally hysterical. My 21 year old son took a wax pencil and secretly drew dicks on the side of Easter eggs my daughters and wife were coloring so after they took the color.. yeah you guessed it. Pretty sure he is dropping to the seventh round for that . 

? that’s fantastic lol

8 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Is he a quarterback, or a freedom fighter, I'm not sure. 

Lol ... if he comes to NY and plays up to his draft position who's gonna give a sheet stain what his hats say. If he flunks he is just another in a long line of NYJ QB doofus's

42 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Cimini mocked Marshon Lattimore to the Jets last year, and had Paxton Lynch going to the Jets two years ago, and had Dante Fowler going to the Jets the year before that. Safe to say he doesn't know his d*ck from his elbow.

Maybe he's due...

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

? that’s fantastic lol

To be fair the wax pencil did come with the Easter egg dye kit.

I just find it fascinating how they want to accelerate these kids social responsibility just because that are good at the football. Its assinine . They are kids! Dumb and goofy exactly the way they should be. 

44 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Cimini mocked Marshon Lattimore to the Jets last year, and had Paxton Lynch going to the Jets two years ago, and had Dante Fowler going to the Jets the year before that. Safe to say he doesn't know his d*ck from his elbow.

It strikes me that Rich Cimini would be the best GM this team has had since Parcells.

The real story of this story is that if a 25-year-old who started a home playoff game 27 months ago has a lights-out preseason, the Jets will gleefully trade him so they can hand the starting job to a 39-year-old with a career record of 23-50.

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Lol ... if he comes to NY and plays up to his draft position who's gonna give a sheet stain what his hats say. If he flunks he is just another in a long line of NYJ QB doofus's

I just don't want some self important athlete to come to the Jets and tell me his version of what the world should be.  That get's old real quick.

Archived