Rich Cimini" I'm predicting Baker Mayfield at No. 3....I really think they like Mayfield"

Jetsbb

Its no secret that when the Jets moved up to 3, they figured that Rosen and Darnold would be off the board.  It's been the same story for a year and a half now, everyone knows its those two guys first.

The only debate is whether we like Allen or Mayfield, and based upon every sane analysis, its clear that Allen is more of a media creation with a combine arm than anything else.  

Mayfield obviously comes out better on film.  

SO it really seems pretty clear to me that the draft is going to go that way and that Cimini for once is correct.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Hael said:

Its no secret that when the Jets moved up to 3, they figured that Rosen and Darnold would be off the board.  It's been the same story for a year and a half now, everyone knows its those two guys first.

The only debate is whether we like Allen or Mayfield, and based upon every sane analysis, its clear that Allen is more of a media creation with a combine arm than anything else.  

Mayfield obviously comes out better on film.  

SO it really seems pretty clear to me that the draft is going to go that way and that Cimini for once is correct.

true, unless the giants go in another direction, and then the jets decision will be more interesting.

21 hours ago, kmnj said:

baker would be a terrible pick for many reasons-one being they did not need to trade to get him-he would have been there at 6-the second is he is a repeat of manziel -a bust waiting to happen. The same folks that are cheering for baker loved the  hackenburg pick too-this draft will rank up there with the marino draft-6 qbs should go round one-and must like back then we will end up with todays version of Ken Obrien or worse

The Mayfield lovers were pounding the table for Paxton flippin Lynch 2 years ago before defending Hackenberg 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, johnnysd said:

What signs? All the signs I see point clearly to the Jets taking Mayfield.

The Mayfield stuff is all a smoke screen, there is no 6 foot QB being taken in the top 5. Russell Wilson completed 72% of his passes and a 33-4 TD at a real football program and still went in the 3rd round. Additionally u do not trade 3 two's to take a guy you can have at 5 or 6.

All signs point to Allen and Darnold going 1-2 in some order, which means the only real option on the table is Rosen. He is made for NY, would probably not survive long in Cleveland or Buffalo. The giants are a possibility to take Rosen....but it just doesnt seem like they are going QB.

Anyways...if the jets do take the 6 foot Mayfield it would be the Jetsiest thing to do...but i dont even think they are that stupid.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Untouchable said:

Mayfield isn’t a statue, but he’s certainly not as athletic as many in the pro-Baker camp are making him out to be.

In terms of avoiding pressure and moving outside the pocket, Mayfield is a helluva lot more comparable to a guy like Case Keenum than he is Russell Wilson.

Lol.. and Allen, darnold, and Rosen are burners ? Lol.. I always thought josh McCown was slower than dirt, but He had some decent scrambles for 38 old yr old jag. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. and Allen, darnold, and Rosen are burners ? Lol.. I always thought josh McCown was slower than dirt, but He had some decent scrambles for 38 old yr old jag. 

Who said they were burners?

Jackson is the only QB in this draft that is a serious threat with his legs.

But a guy like Allen is absolutely more athletic than Mayfield and that’s all the more impressive when you factor in that he’s almost 5 inches taller than him and 25 lbs heavier.

Darnold is a better athlete than Mayfield as well.

Rosen is the only one among them that is a statue, but he’s also easily the most polished traditional pocket passer of the bunch.

Just now, Untouchable said:

But a guy like Allen is absolutely more athletic than Mayfield and that’s all the more impressive when you factor in that he’s almost 5 inches taller than him and 25 lbs heavier.

Rosen is the only one among them that is a statue, but he’s also easily the most polished traditional pocket passer of the bunch.

brady is extremely unathletic and he's considered the best qb in the history of the game.

athleticism is overrated.  what matters more is pocket awareness, sliding away from pressure, throwing the ball away vs. taking a sack or forcing it, and running/sliding and taking positive yards when that's all you can do.  

28 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Rosen isn’t a statue in the pocket. Cut it out man.

44 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

The Mayfield stuff is all a smoke screen, there is no 6 foot QB being taken in the top 5. Russell Wilson completed 72% of his passes and a 33-4 TD at a real football program and still went in the 3rd round. Additionally u do not trade 3 two's to take a guy you can have at 5 or 6.

All signs point to Allen and Darnold going 1-2 in some order, which means the only real option on the table is Rosen. He is made for NY, would probably not survive long in Cleveland or Buffalo. The giants are a possibility to take Rosen....but it just doesnt seem like they are going QB.

Anyways...if the jets do take the 6 foot Mayfield it would be the Jetsiest thing to do...but i dont even think they are that stupid.

I do not agree with a word of that. That is not a sign that is just your opinion. All the actual signs from the Jets, the timing of the trade, what Baker represents, all the rumors, all of it points clearly at Baker being the #1 guy.  And Russell Wilson and Brees has removed most of that bogus stigma on short QBs. Short QBs fail because 99% of them have no arm and are too fragile, neither an issue with Baker.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Rosen isn’t a statue in the pocket. Cut it out man.

Compared to the other Top 4 guys?

Yeah, he is.

And I don’t have some kind of big issue with that. I’ll always prefer a QB who will stand in the pocket and not look to take off as soon as his first read is covered.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Compared to the other Top 4 guys?

Yeah, he is.

And I don’t have some kind of big issue with that. I’ll always prefer a QB who will stand in the pocket and not look to take off as soon as his first read is covered.

Yeah, compared to the other 4. But he still climbs the inside of the pocket well enough. He’s definitely not a guy who will take off or even really get outside of the pocket to throw. I agree on that..but as long as he can continue to climb it well and make throws.. I’m cool with it.

I do not agree with a word of that. That is not a sign that is just your opinion. All the actual signs from the Jets, the timing of the trade, what Baker represents, all the rumors, all of it points clearly at Baker being the #1 guy.  And Russell Wilson and Brees has removed most of that bogus stigma on short QBs. Short QBs fail because 99% of them have no arm and are too fragile, neither an issue with Baker.

And yet neither were drafted in round 1. You can believe all you want but Baker isn’t going 3rd....it’s a guarantee.

If you take away the character / personality / off-field concerns for BOTH Rosen and Mayfield, and simply compare them as football players does anyone really believe Mayfield is better?  I DO like Mayfield as a prospect and I think he'll be a good Pro but he just doesn't seem like the pure QB prospect that Josh Rosen is.  Rosen is the best passer in the class IMO....and that's like the most important thing for playing QB.  Again, I like Mayfield but if you ignore all this off-field and character noise I just see Rosen as a bigger, better passing QB prospect.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If you take away the character / personality / off-field concerns for BOTH Rosen and Mayfield, and simply compare them as football players does anyone really believe Mayfield is better?  I DO like Mayfield as a prospect and I think he'll be a good Pro but he just doesn't seem like the pure QB prospect that Josh Rosen is.  Rosen is the best passer in the class IMO....and that's like the most important thing for playing QB.  Again, I like Mayfield but if you ignore all this off-field and character noise I just see Rosen as a bigger, better passing QB prospect.

The injuries scare me though

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The injuries scare me though

They definitely have to be considered, but any player can get hurt at any time.  He seems to be medically cleared, he's throwing the ball all over the place during Combine's, Pro Day and workouts the past few months so I have no concern about the shoulder.  He's been cleared through all concussion protocols.  While the risk is there I think it's slight.  I don't want us to be the team that ignores the best passer in the Draft because we're afraid he'll get hurt.

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Rosen is clearly the best prospect imo. Teams have to take into consideration he may not be playing ball that long. Giving his concussion history, adding with son of doc rich kid who expressed he may not want to play football forever. Factor those two issues with the NY having one of the worst offensive lines in nfl. A organization that treats the Oline like a red-headed step child.. He may get his bell rung few times fairly quick..

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Mayfield isnt a conventional pocket qb. He's not a pocket qb with beautiful mechanics. Folks are getting enamored with Rosens Mechanics. Mayfield doesnt have a beautiful throwing motion, but when has that been an issue to his game? Mayfield is balanced. He can do everything very well. He may not do pocket passing as great as Rosen, but its good enough, and with everything that he also provides at the position he more than makes up for it.

If you removed everything you stated above along with their names "Rosen & Mayfield" and simply compared their collegiate history/performances many folks would be concerned taking a guy who has not performed as well, or won as many games, or left school early as well as missed most of a season due to serious injury. 

Rosen is indeed the most pure pocket passer in this class, that doesnt make him the better quarterback overall though. Is his decision making better? No. Is he a better improviser when the play breaks down? No. Is he a better passer on the move? No. Is he as mobile? No. Can he take greater risk while minimizing turnovers? No. Is he the best pure passer from the pocket? Absolutely. Does he bait defenders more effectively? Yes...slightly edging out Baker. 

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If you take away all of the obvious character concerns of each player, the choice is very clear. It's Baker Mayfield head and shoulders above anyone else. Look at the statistics. Along those lines, Mayfield is head and shoulders better then every QB coming out this year.

20 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

If you take away all of the obvious character concerns of each player, the choice is very clear. It's Baker Mayfield head and shoulders above anyone else. Look at the statistics. Along those lines, Mayfield is head and shoulders better then every QB coming out this year.

and sam bradford threw for 50 TD's his last year in Oklahoma. dont buy the hype...its not happening.

just saw that Baker isnt even going to be at the draft!! u know who does that? a player who thinks he is sliding....thats who.

45 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Maybe he was invited to Joe Namath's house?

or he wants to be with his family and is already working to improve his professional image...

name the last QB who was projected to be a top 5 pick that did not come to the draft...

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

name the last QB who was projected to be a top 5 pick that did not come to the draft...

The top quarterbacks in 2015, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, chose not to attend the draft

A year ago, the No. 1 overall pick, Myles Garrett, stayed home rather than attend the NFL draft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/report-baker-mayfield-will-not-attend-nfl-draft/

8 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The top quarterbacks in 2015, Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, chose not to attend the draft

A year ago, the No. 1 overall pick, Myles Garrett, stayed home rather than attend the NFL draft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/report-baker-mayfield-will-not-attend-nfl-draft/

good call on the QB's....forgot those guys. but i still say that part of the decision not to come to the draft is that he may slip into mid first round. there is just no precedent for 6 foot QB's going that high. JMO clearly.

Just now, GreenFish said:

A source I know that works at the restaurant where the Jets took Baker last night (to protect him, let's just call him the pasta guy), said he believes the Jets love Baker and will take him if he is there at #3.

shouldn't his name be steak guy?

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

good call on the QB's....forgot those guys. but i still say that part of the decision not to come to the draft is that he may slip into mid first round. there is just no precedent for 6 foot QB's going that high. JMO clearly.

All good, we have our opinions and I am ready to cheer for the Jets pick, even if it's Allen :) - looking forward to moving past the draft and seeing if they have a team that can compete...

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

and sam bradford threw for 50 TD's his last year in Oklahoma. dont buy the hype...its not happening.

just saw that Baker isnt even going to be at the draft!! u know who does that? a player who thinks he is sliding....thats who.

And if Sam Bradford could have stayed healthly - ever - he would have been a very successful NFL QB.

Bradford is a very good example on why you pass on Rosen...

Archived