So when do Petty and Hack get the axe?

Jetscreen

This, to me, is the big mystery. There's no mystery with what Mac is doing at 3. He's taking a QB. There's no way he takes anyone other than a QB. There's also no mystery Josh McCown is the presumed starter. The big mystery is when Mac cuts to the chase and does what everyone knows he must do. That is release Petty and Hack. When does Mac finally admit that selecting Hack was the stupidest decision he's ever made?

I think they'll  try to move both on day 3 of the draft. I'm not saying they will but there is no reason to release them till after that. I could see Petty bringing back a 6th for someone who thinks he can be a backup.

25 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I think Petty and Bridgewater will be the 2 that get axed.

If you think Hack is above Bridge and Petty on the depth chart... you must have played linebacker in high school without a helmet.

He will never make an NFL roster again.  He should have NEVER been drafted in the first place.

Hopefully during the draft so we can add a late pick for Petty. Hack is useless with no value so he'll make it through and I'm guessing he's added to the practice squad.

37 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

This, to me, is the big mystery. There's no mystery with what Mac is doing at 3. He's taking a QB. There's no way he takes anyone other than a QB. There's also no mystery Josh McCown is the presumed starter. The big mystery is when Mac cuts to the chase and does what everyone knows he must do. That is release Petty and Hack. When does Mac finally admit that selecting Hack was the stupidest decision he's ever made?

Who cares?

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

Hopefully during the draft so we can add a late pick for Petty. Hack is useless with no value so he'll make it through and I'm guessing he's added to the practice squad.

Hack isn't good enough for the practice squad.  Those spots are for players with an actual chance.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Hack isn't good enough for the practice squad.  Those spots are for players with an actual chance.

I agree, just think Mac keeps him around since the practice squads expanded a few years back.

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who cares?

Well, me for one, along with everyone else that's already contributed to this thread. But the biggest reason I think everyone is interested in seeing is when Mac finally acknowledges what everyone knows - that he made a tremendous error in judgment when he selected Hack.

28 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If you think Hack is above Bridge and Petty on the depth chart... you must have played linebacker in high school without a helmet.

He will never make an NFL roster again.  He should have NEVER been drafted in the first place.

Calm down; Hack-phobia can kill.  I never said Hack was better than Bridgewater.  I just said Bridge and Petty would end up getting cut.  Petty's terrible and on the last year of his rookie deal.  Bridgewater may not be fully healthy and has essentially a non-guaranteed contract.  So Hack ends up being the defacto 3rd QB.

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  The depth chart when the seasons begins will be:

1- McCown

2. Bridgewater

3 - Mayfield (Rosen is a pipe dream and will be gone before 3)

3 - Hackenberg (we will carry 4 qb's)

Fixed, mark it down, double stamp, No Erasies.

46 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

Well, me for one, along with everyone else that's already contributed to this thread. But the biggest reason I think everyone is interested in seeing is when Mac finally acknowledges what everyone knows - that he made a tremendous error in judgment when he selected Hack.

Trying to sign cousins, bringing back mccown, signing cousins, trading up to 3 to get a QB wasn't enough for you guys to realize that he knows hack has been a bust?? 

My guess, Petty is cut early (traded for conditional pick), Teddy is on PUP list to start the training camp. They look at Hack and decide if he is worth the possibility of the 3rd/PS spot. Then magically Hack gets an early “injury” to go IR for the year. End of of camp McCown, Teddy and #3 pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I think they'll  try to move both on day 3 of the draft. I'm not saying they will but there is no reason to release them till after that. I could see Petty bringing back a 6th for someone who thinks he can be a backup.

Can't see either one having any draft day value. Possibly a 2019 low rounder conditional on them making opening day roster.

Image result for crystal ball reader  gifs

Josh McCown is injured in training camp or pre-season, he retires......

Teddy Bridgewater isn't ready as the knee gives him issues in training camp starts season on short term IR 

Jets draft Mayfield or Rosen and start the rookie on opening day. 

A veteran backup is signed after teams cut rosters down. (not sure who) 

Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg battle it out for 3rd string 1 is eventually cut the other when Bridgewater returns. 

We will not carry four quarterbacks in training camp, the rookie will need his reps...depending on Teddy's knee one or two of the Petty/Hack Double Whopperwill get their walking papers sometime between the draft and training camp

There should be no rush to cut anybody. You need camp arms.

My guess is the Jets keep five quarterbacks on the roster until Bridgewater proves he can play/practice. Petty is the first one cut. Bridgewater and Hackenberg are battling it out for the third quarterback spot on the roster.

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

With Bridgewater still rehabbing, McCown being old, and the rookie being a rookie,  neither Petty nor Hack are being cut until after the final preseason game 

Makes sense. Keep em as camp bodies. I can see one of them getting cut prior to the final PS game.

Maybe O’Brian picks Hack up for a 6th or 7th rounder.

Watsons recovering from the ACL- Savage is meh

Hack is still sculpted from marble and has been an understudy to Fitzpatrick and Mccown.....and he’s still on his rookie deal. I’d take a flier on the kid.

Jets get a chance to see them all before the draft. I think it will be up to all of these guys to show something. My guess is Petty will be cut after the draft. The rest will depend on how they look in camp. I could even see McCown getting cut if Bridgewater and Hack show improvement and the rookie looks good. If any of them look ready to start they will get the nod over McCown.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived