CBSSports: Giants will only draft Darnold at #2: no interest in Rosen

Hi all,

First time, long time...

Long time lurker, from what seems like a hundred years ago, I used to post on a.s.f.p.ny-jets and was a part of many a Jets/Pats newsgroup war.

Looking forward to posting more out here, but I saw an article on CBSports that I have seen posted anywhere out here, if it was, apologies.

The story, written by Will Brunson, states that the talk around the Giants is that the only QB they will take at #2 is Darnold. As for Josh Rosen, the story states that the Giants have no interest in drafting him. With all of the pre-draft gaga out there now, who knows what is truth and what is propoganda, but an interesting take nonetheless.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-giants-would-reportedly-draft-sam-darnold-at-no-2-overall-dont-like-josh-rosen/

David Lee T

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Hi and Welcome, if that's true the board may explode if we draft Mayfield over Rosen.

Yup.

With that said, alot of folks are worried about Rosen.  Fragile.  Meh average NFL Arm despite his fans claims to the contrary.  Prefers Tennis to football, has problems with authority and doing what he's told by coaches, and generally has a sh*tton of interests beyond football.

As much as with Mayfield, Rosen could be the ultra-bust of this draft if all these issues go sideways at once.  An injury, a fight with coaches, and a "**** this, I'm off to run for State Senate, lolz, **** this Trump'loving Jets ownership!" exit.

Or, he could just be Chad Pennington.  Good, solid, never great, till hurt, then not so solid.

Rosen is always described as the "most NFL ready", he's never described as having "potential for true greatness".

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yup.

With that said, alot of folks are worried about Rosen.  Fragile.  Meh average NFL Arm despite his fans claims to the contrary.  Prefers Tennis to football, has problems with authority and doing what he's told by coaches, and generally has a sh*tton of interests beyond football.

As much as with Mayfield, Rosen could be the ultra-bust of this draft if al these issues go sideways at once.  An injury, a fight with coaches, and a "**** this, I'm off to run for State Senate, lolz, **** this Trump'loving Jets ownership!" exit.

Original material here. Luuuuv it.

19 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

Hi all,

First time, long time...

Long time lurker, from what seems like a hundred years ago, I used to post on a.s.f.p.ny-jets and was a part of many a Jets/Pats newsgroup war.

Looking forward to posting more out here, but I saw an article on CBSports that I have seen posted anywhere out here, if it was, apologies.

The story, written by Will Brunson, states that the talk around the Giants is that the only QB they will take at #2 is Darnold. As for Josh Rosen, the story states that the Giants have no interest in drafting him. With all of the pre-draft gaga out there now, who knows what is truth and what is propoganda, but an interesting take nonetheless.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-giants-would-reportedly-draft-sam-darnold-at-no-2-overall-dont-like-josh-rosen/

David Lee T

I just sent a text to your user name. 

We need like a resident silly British man, responsible for just giving Monty Python-esque retorts to every single one of these godforsaken threads. And Max has to set it so he's the only one capable of posting in it.

It can be a woman too. Because it's 2018 and ladies can do stuff now.

22 minutes ago, 7561526667 said:

Hi all,

First time, long time...

David Lee T

Is “T” your whole last name?

And/Or are you related to any “smallish” linebackers in the tri-state area?

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We need like a resident silly British man, responsible for just giving Monty Python-esque retorts to every single one of these godforsaken threads. And Max has to set it so he's the only one capable of posting in it.

Dude. Read my last post (in your head) with a New Zealanders accent! 

Male or Female

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup.

As much as with Mayfield, Rosen could be the ultra-bust of this draft if all these issues go sideways at once.  An injury, a fight with coaches, and a "**** this, I'm off to run for State Senate, lolz, **** this Trump'loving Jets ownership!" exit.

Or, he could just be Chad Pennington.  Good, solid, never great, till hurt, then not so solid.

Rosen is always described as the "most NFL ready", he's never described as having "potential for true greatness".

Geez, exaggerate much. This reads like a Cimini entry - is that you Rich?

35 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You looking for me?

051E44E1-8848-49C6-A669-CE1DCEA11FB2.gif

41 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

For Monday,  this is superb.

I don't think the board will "explode" if Mayfield is taken instead of Rosen.  Some Jet fans might bang their heads against something, no doubt.  But the feeling won't be universal.

A case can be made for both players.  Even those that are staunch supporters of one or the other can recognize that.  Neither is Hackenberg.  Both guys can put the ball where they want it.  The rest of the skill sets are a give and take... and debatable of which is more important.  Same with the unknowns of what's beneath the helmet. 

19 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Geez, exaggerate much. This reads like a Cimini entry - is that you Rich?

What part is exaggeration?

That he has an injury history?

That his arm is merely "average" for the pro level?

That his true love was tennis, not football?

That he has a rep for being difficult to coach?

Or that he has numerous interests beyond football?

Pretty sure all of these have been well documented by scouts and discussed to death. 

None are fatal, all could (stress could) be problems at the pro level.  

Like all the possible QB's, he has pros (smart as hell, good resume, accurate) and weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Pretty sure all of these have been well documented by scouts and discussed to death. 

Like all the possible QB's, he has pros (smart as hell, good resume, accurate) and weaknesses.

Wow. Them too?

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Imo i think this is false I think once he got healthy the 2nd half of this year that arm strength looked terrific . You literally compared him to Chad Pennington In terms of arm strength  that’s a complete exaggeration in my eyes.

Welcome 7561... catchy name!

Personally, I never get tired of the rumours and Will Brunson's information adds another layer of fudge to this layer cake.

Just another useless opinion but I think the Giants would be insane not to pick Rosen if he is there at 2. They are all a risk, Rosen might be the least risky. The only drawback is Eli may well want to go more than one year, Rosen may get antsy after a year of being no.2 on the totem pole.  Perhaps with Darnold they figure the kid needs at least a year of seasoning and will sit as long as it takes for Eli to give up and join the Mannings for brunch on Sundays. Eli probably would not like the question asking Rosen looking over his shoulder  as much as Darnold or Allen who will be more malleable.

Yet another talking head with an opinion...I listened to a podcast on a Browns board with a long time USC media guy interviewed. He said if he was the decision maker in the Browns FO  he would pick Rosen over Darnold. Having covered Darnold since he arrived at USC, he has real concerns about Darnold making it at the pro level. No he doesn't really consider Allen in the conversation even if the Browns do.

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gut sense Rosen and Allen both drop.

Just like Aaron Rogers - would be bummed if Rosen was available and we weren't all over him. He's the most pro ready QB and the most natural passer in the draft. Allen's arm talent is the best, but Rosen is the best passer in the draft and has played under center. He could play this year. He also can throw his guys open. The only worry I have about Mayfield is the guy he is compared to in a best case scenario, Brees, doesn't play as well in cold weather stadiums. 

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Almost as good as men....

2 hours ago, 7561526667 said:

Hi all,

First time, long time...

David Lee T

Well hello there!  Welcome.  You need a better username DLT.  This board is great, hope you stick around.  

For those of you who don't know the OP, he is a champion of posters way back to usenet days.  Trolls beware...  he is merciless (or at leat was in his younger days).

p.s.  is ther anyone here who used to regularly post on usenet (alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets)?  That would be from 1995-2001 or 2002 when usenet became obsolete.  If so post your screen name from that group.

Love,

Tutor

Just now, southtown24th said:

Does anyone think this is true?

trusting anything that is written and published between now and 4/26 would be remarkably naive.  This is the time of year where the B.S. is thick and flowing out of every website that talks about the NFL.

You can trust none of it.

Archived