All Draft QB Rumor Mill Thread

Gangrene

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm content with whoever they'll pick and I cant say I'd be super upset about any of them. 

but ever since he planted the flag in the O at OSU, I've been all about Baker.  I love that attitude, and the kid loves to play.   it would be exciting to watch.

Plus if it crashes and burns, it will be one hell of a sight to behold.

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I find it very interesting that the mods had to lock down the Rosen article thread.  To me it sort of explains why I think he'd be a bad fit for us.  He's obviously very bright and there's obviously more to him that just football.  For the side of the fan base that supports the activism that's entered the game he's going to be great.  For the side that wants to keep all that stuff out of the game I think he's going to cause problems.  It's boring but a lot safer for the face of the franchise to just be cliched and 100% about football vs. "platforming"...  

Its a FOOTBALL team. The only statement the QB should be making is about football. All other stuff should be reserved for those who know what their doing. Chris Rock is one of the legends of comedy but I don't want him consulted on Foreign Policy. The point is stick to what you know, not what you think you know.

The Jets could have a path to Darnold if these two things are true:
1. The Cleveland Browns are set on Josh Allen.
2. The Browns are convinced that there is no way the Giants are taking Allen at No. 2.
If these are the facts, the Jets could trade their 2019 No. 1 pick to Cleveland in exchange for switching places with the Browns. Nobody could top this offer, let alone the Bills, because it would guarantee that the Browns will still get Allen. I would make this trade to get Darnold, although I'm sure a lot of fans out there wouldn't be able to stomach the cost.

Not buying it.

The Browns already have pick 4, supposedly to look for their QB Allen...

What if the Bills offered 12, 22 and next years 1st?

Is our 3rd and 1st in 19 worth more than 3 1st rounders from Buffalo?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

He's anti QB at 3

Ill bet you that he is being egged on by Bowles to tweet that. It was clear Bowles does not want QB at 3- "we are looking at 6 or 7 players"

I would trade Jamal and Leonard for first rounders in this draft. Jamal has ZERO game impact, and Leonard is a nice player that we should not re-sign.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Ill bet you that he is being egged on by Bowles to tweet that. It was clear Bowles does not want QB at 3- "we are looking at 6 or 7 players"

I would trade Jamal and Leonard for first rounders in this draft. Jamal has ZERO game impact, and Leonard is a nice player that we should not re-sign.

Sure lets trade Maye, Anderson, McGuire as well while we're at it.  I really can't believe the hate for these guys on this forum. If your picked in rd#1 and are not an immediate superstar , then Jets fans have no use for those players.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sure lets trade Maye, Anderson, McGuire as well while we're at it.  I really can't believe the hate for these guys on this forum. If your picked in rd#1 and are not an immediate superstar , then Jets fans have no use for those players.

I hate neither but both were poor picks. Safety is the least important position on a football team and just about any JAG provides 85% of what Adams has the potential to be and about 95% of what he actually was last year. Leonard is a solid player, that is not dynamic in rushing the passer (2 sacks last year....TWO) and again a JAG FA will provide 90% of the performance of Williams for vet minimum.

Their value is still high and first round picks that we could use on WR or OL to help our new young QB is a much better use of them than just keeping them on the team.

Drafting safety at 6 is idiotic. And his "leadership" is quickly adding diva elements. The Jets are like the only team in football that places no priority on play makers and the OL which are the foundation of any successful NFL team. "Nice" DL that do not rush the passer, and ALL safeties other than true once in a generation HOF players have almost no impact on a football team.

Trading them now when value is high would be the right thing to do. If our ownership had balls that had actually descended, we would have a different GM right now making these decisions.

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I find it very interesting that the mods had to lock down the Rosen article thread.  To me it sort of explains why I think he'd be a bad fit for us.  He's obviously very bright and there's obviously more to him that just football.  For the side of the fan base that supports the activism that's entered the game he's going to be great.  For the side that wants to keep all that stuff out of the game I think he's going to cause problems.  It's boring but a lot safer for the face of the franchise to just be cliched and 100% about football vs. "platforming"...  

Understood but what if your scouts grade the activist QB higher than the 100% football100% of the time QB ?

2019 marks the 50th year without a Super Bowl win for the Jets it's hard to go with not picking Rosen if he is rated higher than the others.

2 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Understood but what if your scouts grade the activist QB higher than the 100% football100% of the time QB ?

2019 marks the 50th year without a Super Bowl win for the Jets it's hard to go with not picking Rosen if he is rated higher than the others.

If the activist QB is clearly rated higher you take him.  In this year, where there seems to be legitimate debate as to who the best QB is, why take a guy who is going to antagonize a part of the fan base (and maybe some of his teammates) vs. a 100% football guy?

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

can't wait until Josh Rosen grows a sleazy movemember mustache

just when you think a guy can't get more annoying, throw some facial hair on him 

let's be real Discount Doublecheck flies in cheese country but were all sick of Rodgers from 1500 miles away. We can talk about how winning games blah blah blah but I'm already sick of Josh Rosen and his hot tub time machine bull crap and it hasn't even started. 

We've had nice guys QB'ing the Jets, Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Josh McCown etc, etc.

We've had nice coaches and that certainly has not worked, although Pete Carroll did not have very long to convince Leon that nice can work.

It still has not got us a Super Bowl and yes we can put the blame on the front office where it truly deserves to be. However having a bright, marginally obnoxious leader might occasionally  marshall the troops and make up for deficiencies in other areas.

Brady is obnoxious with his teammates during practice... screaming and cursing them out if they don't show hustle returning to the huddle on the practive field.

I am up for trying obnoxious for a change... Two of the top five qbs appear to have a little of that in them.

9 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If the activist QB is clearly rated higher you take him.  In this year, where there seems to be legitimate debate as to who the best QB is, why take a guy who is going to antagonize a part of the fan base (and maybe some of his teammates) vs. a 100% football guy?

I guess, that all depends on where the scouts rate Rosen. If they rate Rosen and Mayfield even, the chances are they will go with Mayfield. 

Many of us fans hated the Hackenberg pick, we still wanted him to see a football field and prove us all wrong. Jets fans will forget Rosen's politics if he wins... winning cures everything.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and one of those 6 or 7 will be available. 

8 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

We've had nice guys QB'ing the Jets, Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Josh McCown etc, etc.

We've had nice coaches and that certainly has not worked, although Pete Carroll did not have very long to convince Leon that nice can work.

It still has not got us a Super Bowl and yes we can put the blame on the front office where it truly deserves to be. However having a bright, marginally obnoxious leader might occasionally  marshall the troops and make up for deficiencies in other areas.

Brady is obnoxious with his teammates during practice... screaming and cursing them out if they don't show hustle returning to the huddle on the practive field.

I am up for trying obnoxious for a change... Two of the top five qbs appear to have a little of that in them.

This. Enough with the shy, understated QBs.

55 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I hate neither but both were poor picks. Safety is the least important position on a football team and just about any JAG provides 85% of what Adams has the potential to be and about 95% of what he actually was last year. Leonard is a solid player, that is not dynamic in rushing the passer (2 sacks last year....TWO) and again a JAG FA will provide 90% of the performance of Williams for vet minimum.

Their value is still high and first round picks that we could use on WR or OL to help our new young QB is a much better use of them than just keeping them on the team.

Drafting safety at 6 is idiotic. And his "leadership" is quickly adding diva elements. The Jets are like the only team in football that places no priority on play makers and the OL which are the foundation of any successful NFL team. "Nice" DL that do not rush the passer, and ALL safeties other than true once in a generation HOF players have almost no impact on a football team.

Trading them now when value is high would be the right thing to do. If our ownership had balls that had actually descended, we would have a different GM right now making these decisions.

Got this far and decided to just stop reading. Its obvious we'll never agree on Adams. 

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If you have a top 5 pick you would being pure lazy for not taking the time to meet with darnold.. what else does Mac have to do right now ?

you know... like refill one of the 15 coffee cups (I counted them) on his desk top

mccagnancoffee.jpg

24 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Great post.  And I assume you're referring to Rosen and Mayfield as the two obnoxious, demanding QBs.  I think you're going to get your wish.  Based on everything I've seen and heard I'd guess there's a 98% chance the Jets end up with one of those two guys.

Time for some juicy new Draft Eligible QB rumours .

This one is from a Brown forum and before that originally from a forum called football futures ... long read but hey it's the off off broadway season and entertaining if you are currently between girlfriends, between wives or between employers...

No mater what you believe as regards the core rumour, the insider dealings minutia  is a great read...

***LONG POST ALERT***

I have some terrible news to inform everyone.

It looks like we really will be passing on Darnold....

THIS IS NOT SOME STUPID TROLL, or me doing the reverse psychology thing saying Baker's going first while secretly feeling giddy and knowing we're taking Darnold at 1 as a way to cope with the possibility the Browns might screw this up.

(Skip to The News below if u must)

As I've said before, my brother in law was a scout & personnel assistant exec for 11 years. I never ID'd his team when he was employed but he was canned in the mass firings when Mr. Reese and co. were fired from the Giants.

Although I'm often wrong about my own predictions, my b.o i. always cautioned me that what he'd tell me in terms of rumors has a chance of being misinformation put out by other teams to hide their true intentions. However, the vast majority of things he told me that I posted on this forum came true.

For example, for those people that actually paid attention to my posts on the old forum before last year's draft, you'd remember that based on what my b.o.i. heard at the combine I posted "the Bears will look to trade up for Trubisky with either the Browns at 1 or San Fran at 2." At the time, only 3 people responded to that post.

I also posted that "Sashi Brown was seen twice via my b.o.i.'s team spycraft department, 1st with Rick Smith of the Texans, and 2nd with Ryan Pace of the Bears at a private membership only room at a Wine & Cigar lounge in Indy" and... "Dont be surprised if we trade one of our picks to the Bears or Texans." That post received 2 responses and came true regarding the draft.

Teams have 10s and even 100s of thousands of dollar budget for their "spycraft" depts that includes things you wouldnt even believe all in order to propel the interests of their million dollar cash cows.

One of the more basic ways for teams to get inside info is to recruit disgruntled "soon to be fired" scouts and personnel staffers away from another team while they are still employed and possibly privy to strategic information. ALL teams try to do this. The best and smartest teams top execs leave scouts & even key personnel staffers in the dark on real rankings and strategy for fear of info leaking out. The elite top execs only inform the owner & a select few before the draft. Smart top execs run disinformation campaigns and put up false rankings in plain view of scouts and staffers so the disinfo will leak to teams giving them an advantage to operate under the veil of confusion.

The News: My b.o.i. told me this morning "the scuttlebut is that 6 Browns scouts & 1 personnel exec have been "respectably" flipped (i.e., they already agreed to move on to a team without breaching the trust of their former employee) due to being promised future jobs & due to being disgruntled"...However, 2 scouts and 1 personnel exec has been "unhonorably flipped" (i.e., informing on the teams draft beliefs while still employed to another team) with 1 person in particular "lacking any sort of ethics and is singing like canary so much that the team he's giving the info to is secretly laughing their a**es off b/c they know there's no way in hell they're hiring this guy after all this."

Apparently, there is already a major rift between the offensive coaches & the top personnel execs regarding the pick at 1 and ranking the QBs. It's likely irreconcilable.

In what was a shocker to me as a "Darnold no matter" what guy Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson, and Al Saunders (he's become a de facto QB scout) are united in the belief that Josh Rosen is their guy, clear cut by a wide margin. The combine interview only confirmed this and they are all in. They all agree that Sam Darnold is their number 2, but there are some disagreements between the coaches on who is 3rd as some say Baker Mayfield while others surprisingly say Lamar Jackson. All the coaches apparently have Josh Allen 5th which completely surprised me.

The only personnel execs that mostly agree with the coaches are Eliot Wolf & Andrew Berry with Wolf having Darnold as QB1 and AB having had Darnold at 1 precombine but put Rosen ahead at 1 after the interview as Darnold tanked the interview and had no presence on the white board (I'd say did Mariota or Eli have a presence? Did Favre do a great job with X&Os on the board? No... but I digress..)

The rest of the top personnel staff (John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan--yes he's a top staffer more on that in a bit, and Alonzo Highsmith) along with Paul DePodesta have Baker Mayfield as their clear cut leader by a wide margin. The personnel guys then have Josh Allen number 2! Followed by Sam Darnold at 3 and Josh Rosen at 4. Paul DePo supposedly has it Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, & Allen.

Complicating the matter is apparently Scot McCloughan has come in waving a big stick as a former GM like he's the de facto top personnel guy when John Dorsey isnt around. He pulls his "when i was GM" card out in every debate. He is not consulting with other teams as that was just a farce to buy him time to finish some past due work that he and his company owed some teams for purchasing their scouting services. He is a full time Browns employee. This has in particular caused friction with Eliot Wolf as he thought he'd have that "right hand man assistant GM" role and it seems that Scot will have a powerful permanent position after the draft unless something changes and problems can be worked out.

Right now, John Dorsey is supposedly selling Jimmy that Baker is the top prospect as identified by Analytics and Traditional Scouting methodology with Paul DePo in his corner. Dorsey and Scot were blown away by Baker's combine interview while coaches thought he was too defensive.

As a temporary compromise just to keep the peace while much draft work is still to be done, the coaches and personnel execs are now strongly discussing that they will take their number 1 player on the big board Bradley Chubb at #1 overall and their QB at 4. Which to me makes ABSOLUTELY NO FU**ING sense at all when we need a QB.....but again I digress...

Distraught on Skype I immediately asked my b.o.i. " if this was all a joke" and "how certain are you that this isnt just elegant disinformation on the Browns part"?

He told me it's absolutely not a joke and the same spycraft dept heads (some of the best in the business) that he trusted in NY all those years have the Giants new personnel staff convinced that it is real enough to the point where everyone on the Giants staff except for new GM Dave Gettleman and an assistant staffer are operating as if it's true and they'll have their pick of all the QBs at 2 or at worst Baker Mayfield will go 1.

I've jokingly been saying Baker would go 1 but secretly believed Hue and co AND Dorsey all loved Sam Darnold at 1. I never even considered the thought that Josh Rosen wouldve been the unanimous selection among the coaches.

My only hope now is that some compromise is struck and we go Chubb at 1 and Rosen makes it to 4 based on the personality thing, or Hue and the coaches win out and we take Rosen at 1 to guarantee we get our QB, or that meathead Dorsey is running the most sophisticated 4D chess misinformation game utilizing scouts, coaches, and personnel people as pawns to fool the scouting community. I'll hold my breath on the latter.

Say goodbye to Darnold for real my friends. He's the hero we deserved...I'll never stop believing that based on the tape review. It just really sucks...

I'm now going to watch Rosen again and try to 1. convince myself I like him more than Darnold and 2. Somehow the coaches desires win out...wish me luck..

Oh...P.S. I hate-love (more hate than anything) this sh** team with all my heart.. 

----------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Its a FOOTBALL team. The only statement the QB should be making is about football. All other stuff should be reserved for those who know what their doing. Chris Rock is one of the legends of comedy but I don't want him consulted on Foreign Policy. The point is stick to what you know, not what you think you know.

Dude, you're a football fan posting on a message board.  The only statement you should be making is about your football team.  All that other stuff about what players should and shouldn't say or do should be reserved for those who know what they're doing.  The point is stick to what you know, not what you think you know.

How's that work for you?

People are people.  They don't suddenly become opinion-less when they choose to play a game for a living.

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

Time for some juicy new Draft Eligible QB rumours .

This one is from a Brown forum and before that originally from a forum called football futures ... long read but hey it's the off off broadway season and entertaining if you are currently between girlfriends, between wives or between employers...

No mater what you believe as regards the core rumour, the insider dealings minutia  is a great read...

***LONG POST ALERT***

I have some terrible news to inform everyone.

It looks like we really will be passing on Darnold....

THIS IS NOT SOME STUPID TROLL, or me doing the reverse psychology thing saying Baker's going first while secretly feeling giddy and knowing we're taking Darnold at 1 as a way to cope with the possibility the Browns might screw this up.

(Skip to The News below if u must)

As I've said before, my brother in law was a scout & personnel assistant exec for 11 years. I never ID'd his team when he was employed but he was canned in the mass firings when Mr. Reese and co. were fired from the Giants.

Although I'm often wrong about my own predictions, my b.o i. always cautioned me that what he'd tell me in terms of rumors has a chance of being misinformation put out by other teams to hide their true intentions. However, the vast majority of things he told me that I posted on this forum came true.

For 

I'm sure there are rumors in the scouting profession, but as he states many of them are by design 

The Browns have been linked to Allen, Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen 

Guess we will find out lol

10 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So the Jets now have Sam Darnols coming in for a visit when they didn’t before

9 hours ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer

The Jets have USC QB Sam Darnold slated to come to New Jersey for a Top 30 visit in the coming days, per source. He wasn't on the schedule a couple weeks back, but is now. Darnold's also visiting the Giants this week.

9 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very interesting. Nobody has any idea what's going on

Kinda be a dick move to NOT bring him in if he’s across the street visiting the Giants. 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Kinda be a dick move to NOT bring him in if he’s across the street visiting the Giants. 

Good they are bringing him in.  They should be ready just in case he is there.   In terms of public workouts, he has not had one with the jets (but has a scheduled one with broncos and bills interestingly enough).

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Dude, you're a football fan posting on a message board.  The only statement you should be making is about your football team.  All that other stuff about what players should and shouldn't say or do should be reserved for those who know what they're doing.  The point is stick to what you know, not what you think you know.

How's that work for you?

People are people.  They don't suddenly become opinion-less when they choose to play a game for a living.

So a 20 something year old kid is to be taken seriously? Please. Opinions are like a-holes my friend. Everyones got one and they usually stink.  Players should be concerned with football. In Rosen's case he should be more concerned with learning how to play it at the next level unless he truly doesn't give a damn. As far as what he thinks on any subject but the game of football he is entitled to it. It doesn't mean it should be taken as anything that anyone but him should care about.

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

So a 20 something year old kid is to be taken seriously? Please. Opinions are like a-holes my friend. Everyones got one and they usually stink.  Players should be concerned with football. In Rosen's case he should be more concerned with learning how to play it at the next level unless he truly doesn't give a damn. As far as what he thinks on any subject but the game of football he is entitled to it. It doesn't mean it should be taken as anything that anyone but him should care about.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you on a topic that will get this thread locked.  But I will say this.  In my experience, people's adherence to "athletes/entertainers should stay in their lanes/nobody care what they have to say" POV tends to depend on whether the athlete/entertainer is agreeing with them or not.  The folks on the left don't particularly want to hear from gun-loving, flag-waving celebs thanking Jesus for every win, successful play, or award, and the folks on the right don't want to hear from entertainers talking about privilege, or police brutality, or whatever.  But the folks on the left love hearing from the ones talking about privilege/policing, and the folks on the right love hearing their stars talk about abortion being wrong or God or saluting the flag.  Personally, unless people feel the same kind of way about hearing their team's QB talk about Jesus as they do hearing them talk about privilege, it's hard to take their "stay in your lane, nobody wants to hear your non-football opinions" comments seriously.

In terms of Rosen ... he's going to have a position that allows him to reach millions of people, who should evaluate what he says on any subject for whatever it's substantively worth - no more, no less.  Some people with a megaphone are idiots. Others save lives.  There's no real telling which is which until they get handed the megaphone.  But unless there's any indication that his political views are somehow interfering with his preparation to play football (spoiler: there's no such indication, any more than a player who loves fishing or hunting  isn't "focusing on football" when he's out doing that), then there's no reason anyone else should care that he has or expresses political views.

Archived