Draft Rumor Round Up; Mayfield Visit

JetNation

Baker Mayfield

Hang in there Jets fans, the NFL draft will be here soon. While you wait, here are some draft threads from our forums to hold you over.

If you like Mock Drafts, be sure to check out the mock draft that took place in our forums. There is also another thread that covers the mock draft discussion. Pretty soon the real draft will be here and we will be discussing mini camp, training camp and what the depth chart looks like. If you are going to the draft day party (round one) at Metlife and want to tailgate with us, be sure to reach out and let us know.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Zrwdx2aKNjU

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rosen or Mayfield = Happy.

Allen= Pass the Jack D!

Agreed. We all have our most favorite but if I had to pick out of the top 3 I would prefer Mayfield and Rosen over Darnold while Allen isnt even a conversation piece. 

If we leave this draft with Mayfield or Rosen the Jets imo are going in the right direction in terms of talent at the position. Im still a bit nervous with Rosen's injury and leadership ability, but I'd rather draft him than take Sam Darnold. I dont trust USC QB's and right now Darnold may have the bigger upside but Rosen has the higher floor. Rosen can start today, Darnold would struggle. 

2 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

I can only hope baker Mayfield is the plan. I'm not going to cry, piss, and moan if Rosen is the guy, but I do very firmly believe Mayfield will ultimately become the better pro QB.

This is exactly how I feel. I've always said that when the Jets moved up they felt any of the three, Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield were future NFL QBs, but when you really dig deep, it seems pretty evident the Browns are going Darnold. 

Jets are happy with either Rosen or Mayfield and so am I. I won't bitch about either one being taken at 3 but in my gut I think Baker Mayfield is a guy that just won't be denied of success. His will, talent, accuracy and leadership led him to the top in division 1. I also think he has the better build (stocky, strong) to take some punishment in the NFL. Rosens injuries, slim build, a couple of concussions scare me even though I still believe he'll be good QB, health is always an issue in Pro Football. That physical difference puts Baker Mayfield as our choice on 4/26.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Agreed. We all have our most favorite but if I had to pick out of the top 3 I would prefer Mayfield and Rosen over Darnold while Allen isnt even a conversation piece. 

If we leave this draft with Mayfield or Rosen the Jets imo are going in the right direction in terms of talent at the position. Im still a bit nervous with Rosen's injury and leadership ability, but I'd rather draft him than take Sam Darnold. I dont trust USC QB's and right now Darnold may have the bigger upside but Rosen has the higher floor. Rosen can start today, Darnold would struggle. 

Rosen will not start day 1 on a Todd Bowles team. He is by far the most ready but I just don’t see Bowles doing it. I agree if we walk away with Rosen or Baker we all have something to be happy about. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Rosen will not start day 1 on a Todd Bowles team. He is by far the most ready but I just don’t see Bowles doing it. I agree if we walk away with Rosen or Baker we all have something to be happy about. 

The best teacher is experience. If Todd Bowles starts Josh McCown week 1 he should be fired before the week 2 game. The Jets have to stop this nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

The best teacher is experience. If Todd Bowles starts Josh McCown week 1 he should be fired before the week 2 game. The Jets have to stop this nonsense. 

it seems like chris johnson is more involved, and that's a good thing - he will tell bowles what to do.  

truth, cj should be telling him when to call time outs, when to punt, etc.

While I like Mayfield better I will not be pissed if the Jets take Rosen instead. At this point all I want is them to make a commitment to a young QB and give him a shot. I think Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold are the best bets in this draft . I like Mayfield the best because of his mental toughness and his play on the field. I like that he walked on and won the starting job at not 1 but 2 major College program's. He also had the balls to walk away from a situation he was uncomfortable in and start all over again. A guy like that is mentally prepared to play in NY. His make-up is suited for this town and that's not easy to ignore. That's why I like Mayfield and think he is the better choice.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Best teacher is experience unless that experience is getting your head knocked off due to a porous O line.

Josh for a couple few games to let the rookie actually see what it should look like isn’t the worse thing. But rest assured my brother Josh McCown is the day 1 starter. 

I would be surprised if who we draft has a Russel Wilson type pre-season and Todd has the balls  to play him day 1. Just don’t think Todd has it in him 

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I like that he walked on and won the starting job at not 1 but 2 major College program's

Yes. It's a good story. Like Rudy. I like that Darnold got offered by USC after playing quarterback for half his sophomore season. I like that Rosen started day one as a true freshman at UCLA for a coach who hates his guts.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

This is exactly how I feel. I've always said that when the Jets moved up they felt any of the three, Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield were future NFL QBs, but when you really dig deep, it seems pretty evident the Browns are going Darnold. 

Jets are happy with either Rosen or Mayfield and so am I. I won't bitch about either one being taken at 3 but in my gut I think Baker Mayfield is a guy that just won't be denied of success. His will, talent, accuracy and leadership led him to the top in division 1. I also think he has the better build (stocky, strong) to take some punishment in the NFL. Rosens injuries, slim build, a couple of concussions scare me even though I still believe he'll be good QB, health is always an issue in Pro Football. That physical difference puts Baker Mayfield as our choice on 4/26.

Do you know how many concussions Mayfield had in college vs. Rosen?  You should fact-check that.  He's also had at least one significant shoulder injury that I am aware of.  It's not like he's Terry Bradshaw out there.  

Continuing on.  Rosen is 6'4" 225.  By comparison, Darnold is 6'3" 220 lb.  Jared Goff, who nobody thinks of as slim, was 6'4" 215 lbs.  Builds are all different, but the narrative around Rosen has been slowly built up to a full-fledged fantasy novel here.  Most QBs get injured (even Josh Allen has had some bad ones).  If that's your worry, then avoid Mayfield and do what you can to get Darnold because he's the only one of the top-4 that doesn't really have any history (that I know of).

Just now, nycdan said:

do what you can to get Darnold because he's the only one of the top-4 that doesn't really have any history (that I know of).

He basically missed his junior season in high school. After converting from linebacker halfway through his sophomore season. And still got a scholarship to play quarterback for USC, which is literally the marquee position in the entirety of college football. Draft season is when people lose sight of simple things in favor of silly narratives.

I can't lie, the notion of Baker leading the charge in green and white makes me downright horny.... Rosen's the one I'd marry, and will be elated if he's the pick -- but Baker... man that could be fun. I'd jump out of my chair with a fist in the air (poetic muthafcker) if that's the call. 

3 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

I can only hope baker Mayfield is the plan. I'm not going to cry, piss, and moan if Rosen is the guy, but I do very firmly believe Mayfield will ultimately become the better pro QB.

If the Jets draft friggin mayfield over Rosen it will go down as yet another epic blunder by the jets that we and our kids will be talking about for 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I can't lie, the notion of Baker leading the charge in green and white makes me downright horny.... Rosen's the one I'd marry, and will be elated if he's the pick -- but Baker... man that could be fun. I'd jump out of my chair with a fist in the air (poetic muthafcker) if that's the call. 

Dude that college leader of men schtick does not work unless you 1st show you are great.  Mayfield and his supporters are going to be in for a whole world of eye opening in his first year or so.

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I also prefer Rosen, but won't cry about Mayfield .  

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the Jets draft friggin mayfield over Rosen it will go down as yet another epic blunder by the jets that we and our kids will be talking about for 20 years.

Only time will tell. 

The best thing that can happen for us is that Allen is selected before we pick.  This way if he turns out to be this superstar franchise QB that these so called experts believe can happen, we wouldn't be kicking ourselves for not drafting him.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Dude that college leader of men schtick does not work unless you 1st show you are great.  Mayfield and his supporters are going to be in for a whole world of eye opening in his first year or so.

He has shown himself to be great in college and a leader.  That's why with all his off field issues he is still considered a top QB prospect.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I feel the same way about Allen.  I think Mayfield will be a great pro and if he was one inch taller he would be the consensus number 1.  

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

He has shown himself to be great in college and a leader.  That's why with all his off field issues he is still considered a top QB prospect.

The NFL is not college, nfl pros will shrug and laugh at him unless he 1st shows he is an impact player and worthy to be a leader.  'Leader' is way down the list for me for important attributes for QBs.  Massively overrated feature.

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Your leader of men threw a ball at a TCU player's head during warmups.  Won't even start with the cop thing or the crotch thing.

He's a hothead and if he keeps his sh*t together and grows up a little, he *could* become a great QB.  Or he could become a footnote.  Frankly, his behavior worries me a lot more than Rosen's does.  He seems to have a bad case of 'short-guy complex', always trying to prove how tough he is.  That can get old really fast.  If we draft him, I hope he puts that all behind him really quickly.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Do you know how many concussions Mayfield had in college vs. Rosen?  You should fact-check that.  He's also had at least one significant shoulder injury that I am aware of.  It's not like he's Terry Bradshaw out there.  

Continuing on.  Rosen is 6'4" 225.  By comparison, Darnold is 6'3" 220 lb.  Jared Goff, who nobody thinks of as slim, was 6'4" 215 lbs.  Builds are all different, but the narrative around Rosen has been slowly built up to a full-fledged fantasy novel here.  Most QBs get injured (even Josh Allen has had some bad ones).  If that's your worry, then avoid Mayfield and do what you can to get Darnold because he's the only one of the top-4 that doesn't really have any history (that I know of).

Any QB is at risk for injury, the question is which one will be more likely to play through the injury (like a Brett Favre) and which one is more likely to  protect his body for life after football. I like Rosen more than Mayfield, but there is a real concern that a kid like Rosen (who is very self aware) is more likely to leave football early due to concussion risks than a kid like Mayfield. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Any QB is at risk for injury, the question is which one will be more likely to play through the injury (like a Brett Favre) and which one is more likely to  protect his body for life after football. I like Rosen more than Mayfield, but there is a real concern that a kid like Rosen (who is very self aware) is more likely to leave football early due to concussion risks than a kid like Mayfield. 

that's what's unsaid in interviews, and any team that drafts him has this risk.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

None of us know or can say anything about these guys. We’re taking what’s been reported. 

Rosen said he’s wants 7 rings. Does that sound like a guy who’s just going to walk away? 

Heck if he wins 1 SB w/the Jets he can walk away for all I care. 

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's a completely fair point to raise.  I don't know if it's true but it's certainly part of the math any team has to do.  

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

MMQB writer

Robert Klemko (@RobertKlemko)

4/10/18, 10:19 PM

I'm putting my money on Mayfield to the Jets for some reasons I can get into after the draft. twitter.com/mattymascle/st…

The reasons are Macagnan is the worst qb evaluator ever

H2NcwtQh_bigger.jpgRobert KlemkoVerified account @RobertKlemko

I'm putting my money on Mayfield to the Jets for some reasons I can get into after the draft.

Robert has spent a lot of time with Mayfield chronicling his predraft experience. He believes Baker will wind up with Jets. So do I.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Best teacher is experience unless that experience is getting your head knocked off due to a porous O line.

Josh for a couple few games to let the rookie actually see what it should look like isn’t the worse thing. But rest assured my brother Josh McCown is the day 1 starter. 

I would be surprised if who we draft has a Russel Wilson type pre-season and Todd has the balls  to play him day 1. Just don’t think Todd has it in him 

It's not the worse thing, but when that's the only thing going into the 4th season it kinda gets stale. Sooner or later we'll have to throw these kids into the water, and they're either going to sink or swim. McCown needs to start showing from the sidelines and in practice, what I believe is most important is for our OC/QB Coach to put together an offensive scheme that will complement this rookie. Implementing familiar plays is a strategy that could help when having inconsistencies at areas like the Oline. Integrating plays and philosophies can help compensate for the consistencies we have on this team as well as help with the development of the player. 

But we have to do something different. 

Archived