Draft Rumor Round Up; Mayfield Visit

JetNation

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The NFL is not college, nfl pros will shrug and laugh at him unless he 1st shows he is an impact player and worthy to be a leader.  'Leader' is way down the list for me for important attributes for QBs.  Massively overrated feature.

Yeah they should be safeties.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think the reasons just might be the whole political thing.

Or maybe they like Mayfield better. Couldn't that just be the reason? Or maybe they like Rosen better? The fact is We just don't know and won't know until the pick is made. Everything else is bullsh*t.

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes. It's a good story. Like Rudy. I like that Darnold got offered by USC after playing quarterback for half his sophomore season. I like that Rosen started day one as a true freshman at UCLA for a coach who hates his guts.

Yeah nice stories all around. All these guys would be good choices. I just happen to like Mayfield the most. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Your leader of men threw a ball at a TCU player's head during warmups.  Won't even start with the cop thing or the crotch thing.

He's a hothead and if he keeps his sh*t together and grows up a little, he *could* become a great QB.  Or he could become a footnote.  Frankly, his behavior worries me a lot more than Rosen's does.  He seems to have a bad case of 'short-guy complex', always trying to prove how tough he is.  That can get old really fast.  If we draft him, I hope he puts that all behind him really quickly.

Did he connect on the TCU player’s head? Cause that’s the kind of accuracy this team needs!

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

For fans of teams hoping he falls in this draft, I highly (hint hint) doubt Baker Mayfield gets past the third pick. #Jets

Maybe...or maybe, Ben, you're a tool being used to encourage some team to trade the farm to get to #2 to get Mayfield.  It seems like these guys keep on believing their sources when clearly more often than not, they are being fed bullsh*t.  Hence why for every guy who has 'Baker to the Jets', there is another who has 'Rosen to the Jets' followed by 'Allen to the Jets'.  Same for the Browns, Giants and Broncos.

Hell of a way to make a living.

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

C'mon

Jets signed Crowell.  After the crap he put out there doubt an F- Trump hat is going to bother anyone.  Besides Rosen threw it out there that his father voted for Trump.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

C'mon

Jets signed Crowell.  After the crap he put out there doubt an F- Trump hat is going to bother anyone.  Besides Rosen threw it out there that his father voted for Trump.

It would be foolish but the guy who stated there were 'reasons' were pretty cryptic,

If the Jets draft friggin mayfield over Rosen it will go down as yet another epic blunder by the jets that we and our kids will be talking about for 20 years.

Well, believe what you want, but the fact is, neither will know who was right for a good 3 years. Based on the science (if there is any) I want Mayfield.

Dude that college leader of men schtick does not work unless you 1st show you are great.  Mayfield and his supporters are going to be in for a whole world of eye opening in his first year or so.

you're wrong this time buddy, flat out wrong. I can dig Baker not being your 1st choice, but you've brought nothing to the table that i can recall in tangible argument form. 

Maybe the Jets are putting the Mayfield thing out there because they don't expect Darnold or Rosen to be there at 3.  Put Mayfield rumors out there now and they can tell Baker and the fans that he was the #1 guy on their board all the time.

At this point, 4/26 cannot get here fast enough.  15 more days...

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

you're wrong this time buddy, flat out wrong. I can dig Baker not being your 1st choice, but you've brought nothing to the table that i can recall in tangible argument form. 

I've brought reasons up before.  Some of the things he may have issues with are going to be magnified 100 times in the NFL.  NFL scheme, level of competition, his height.  A thing that people seem to love, his confidence, bravado, leadership means nothing until you show players and teams you are really good.   He is going from a stacked team that plays against just heinously awful defenses to probably a bad team that is facing nfl defense each week.

We will see sooner than later if he is going to be good in this league.

Just now, Lith said:

Maybe the Jets are putting the Mayfield thing out there because they don't expect Darnold or Rosen to be there at 3.  Put Mayfield rumors out there now and they can tell Baker and the fans that he was the #1 guy on their board all the time.

At this point, 4/26 cannot get here fast enough.  15 more days...

I don't really understand how a team with $100mm in capspace signs Long, Swanson, Qvale and Ijalana and then drafts Rosen.  

The Jets are built for either Darnold or Mayfield in my opinion-someone who can move around in the pocket and make accurate throws.  

I agree that otherwise in the Modern NFL, Rosen in the right risk to take at 3.  But the Jets are not the modern NFL.  If they draft Rosen, everyone gets fired.  Mayfield could actually get on the field and provide some practical entertainment.

I think the pick is Mayfield.  I think someone gets to 2 for Rosen anyway.  I don't think that the Browns have the guts to take Mayfield 1.  

55 minutes ago, flgreen said:
H2NcwtQh_bigger.jpgRobert KlemkoVerified account @RobertKlemko

I'm putting my money on Mayfield to the Jets for some reasons I can get into after the draft.

Robert has spent a lot of time with Mayfield chronicling his predraft experience. He believes Baker will wind up with Jets. So do I.

Add Allbright to this.  It may indicate Mayfield got some sort of guarantee during his visit with jets that he is sharing with his closest media pals.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I've brought reasons up before.  Some of the things he may have issues with are going to be magnified 100 times in the NFL.  NFL scheme, level of competition, his height.  A thing that people seem to love, his confidence, bravado, leadership means nothing until you show players and teams you are really good.   He is going from a stacked team that plays against just heinously awful defenses to probably a bad team that is facing nfl defense each week.

We will see sooner than later if he is going to be good in this league.

i feel like you've watched very little of his ACTUAL gameplay based on your post. Which i know is not likely an accurate statement... Which to me, means you've let your personal feelings about his attitude/ego etc blur the assessment of on field play. Are you going to tell me that his accuracy is a mirage? That his touch and delivery are bs? that he doesn't keep his eyes where they're supposed to be, that he doesn't extent plays appropriately? That his record breaking 3rd down conversion rate is an aberration? ...Seriously? 

3 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Add Allbright to this.  It may indicate Mayfield got some sort of guarantee during his visit with jets that he is sharing with his closest media pals.

at this point, it's clear that Mayfield is the pick... OR... this is the most elaborate smoke screen to convince teams they DON'T need trade with NYG to get Rosen... therefore increasing our chances he still there. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i feel like you've watched very little of his ACTUAL gameplay based on your post. Which i know is not likely an accurate statement... Which to me, means you've let your personal feelings about his attitude/ego etc blur the assessment of on field play. Are you going to tell me that his accuracy is a mirage? That his touch and delivery are bs? that he doesn't keep his eyes where they're supposed to be, that he doesn't extent plays appropriately? That his record breaking 3rd down conversion rate is an aberration? ...Seriously? 

As I've said before,  I watched ucla and USc games and see NFL looking QBs playing and NFL style game with big weaknesses on their teams and stout defenses.

I watch okalnoma and see defenders who are just awful playing systems easily exploited.  I see a bully team thrashing most other teams.

Good offensive college scheme?  Yes.  A scheme in which Mayfield excels?  Yes  I think it also does not resemble NFL ball near as much as others.

I do not think Mayfield is going to be a hackneburg bust.  I do think his ceiling is way lower than the other top QBs and in the wrong situation and if he has the wrong attitude it could turn out bad.

In any case i think the Mayfuled supporters are going to get their wish and the Jets will draft him.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The reasons are Macagnan is the worst qb evaluator ever

Wow, we had no idea you didn't like Mayfield. :rolleyes:  Glad you told us.  

At this point, you are just trolling.   Believe it or not, everyone knows how you feel.  You just can't resist.

While I've been saying all offseason that I'd be ok with Mayfield from a pure entertainment standpoint and on the off chance he's actually good, that would be really cool.

But now that this is looking real.  I dont think I'm cool with trading up for Baker a year after we could have had Mahomes or Watson instead of an average Safety.  And I might lose my sh*t if we pass on Rosen for him. 

I’m coming around more on Mayfield

And starting to sour on Rosen between the injuries and the personality stuff. Joel Klatt was on FS1 this morning and made a good point regarding that ESPN interview that everyone was fawning over. That f*cking kid contradicts himself constantly in that piece.

He’s talented as hell throwing a football, but I can see plenty of dudes hating his guts in an NFL locker room.

Baker Mayfield: The Teammate I

QUICKLY

• At the combine this week, any NFL team with even the slightest interest in Baker Mayfield will ask his Oklahoma teammates about the quarterback. Here’s what tight end Mark Andrews, Mayfield’s favorite target in 2017, had to say about the polarizing QB
By ROBERT KLEMKO 
February 28, 2018

One rarely discussed aspect of the interview process at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis is the teammate interview. It plays a major role in the research teams do on players, especially quarterbacks. So if you’re a combine participant who caught passes from, or blocked for, one of the quarterbacks in play for the first round, you can count on a handful of teams using a big chunks of their 15-minute interviews with you asking probing questions about your college quarterback.

And no one will get more questions about former Baker Mayfield than Mackey Award-winning former Oklahoma tight end Mark Andrews. The 6' 5" Scottsdale, Ariz. native caught 112 passes for more than 1,765 yards—most of them from Mayfield—over three seasons at OU. He welcomed a practice round of questioning from The MMQB for Part 6 of our series on the quarterback.

“I’m sure I’m going to get bombarded with Baker Mayfield questions, and I’m excited for that,” Andrews says. “I’m just going to be honest with them and tell them what I think—and I think the world of him. I know he’s going to be a special quarterback in the NFL.”

• THE BAKER MAYFIELD/RUSSELL WILSON COMPARISON: Long-time Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell broke down three hours of film on Mayfield to see how the QBs are alike.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F
SCOTT WINTERS/ICON SPORTSWIRE/GETTY IMAGES

On becoming OU’s leading pass-catcher, and his chemistry with Mayfield:
“We got to play on the scout team together [in 2014, when Andrews was redshirting and Mayfield was sitting out his transfer year], and it was pretty evident the type of player he was. That scout team really just lit everybody up. That was the start of our chemistry and it grew from there. He’s always got that one receiver who he really clicks with, and it comes from all the reps he puts in and all the time he puts in to get in sync with all of these guys. Before me it was Dede Westbrook. Since we’ve been playing together for so long, the communication is there. You work to maintain that connection. Obviously he’s a really good player, but he’s also very good at understanding the different receivers he’s throwing to and what they’re capable of. Speaking for myself, as a tight end, he did a great job of putting me in spaces where I needed to be.”

On expectations for the Oklahoma offense in 2017, and the changing face of defenses after wide receiver Dede Westbrook was drafted:
“We had a bunch of young receivers who, coming into the season, were underrated. They were hungry, and that’s how it needs to be. There were definitely young guys and we didn’t know how they were going to perform, but there were a lot of good pieces going into the season. In terms of coverages, one thing we didn’t see a lot in previous years that we saw a ton this year was the Cover-3 robber and 2 robber looks. That’s just defenses trying to adapt to what we do best. We saw a lot of Cover-4 in 2016. Teams tried to prevent Dede from going over the top. A lot of teams tried to play a prevent to try to stop us from throwing it deep. The guy was so explosive and extremely elusive.”

• WHY MAYFIELD LEFT TEXAS TECH: A look back at his true freshman season as the surprise starter in Lubbock, and why he transferred.

On Darrell Bevell’s observation, from Part 5 of our series, that Mayfield didn’t make a great deal of outside-the-number throws from the pocket:
“I think part of Baker is that Houdini quality. But I think one thing he did really well from the pocket was throw that timing route to the outside receiver, that seven-step out. Throwing that on-time and being in the pocket, that’s one of his best throws. One of the plays that sticks out to me, just because we worked it so many times in practice, the final touchdown in the Texas game. We called the play Celtic. We practice that play so often, so for it to be a game-winning touchdown against Texas was an incredible feeling. It’s a Cover-4 beater. The outside guy has a deep post. I have a 10-yard out and up, and the corner will usually take that skinny post and I’m open on the sideline. First he’s reading me. If it’s man, he’ll back shoulder me. We had a couple opportunities where we were a little off on it earlier in the season. It’s a hard throw for Baker. Throwing that deep out and up is not an easy thing.”

On what Mayfield was doing behind the scenes:
“He was always the guy to text everybody to get together and get in work that was not scheduled with the football team. Getting in routes and going over things, etc. And that’s huge. When you haven’t played football in a while you need to go run some routes and catch some balls with your quarterback and stay in rhythm. Having that person who demands everyone be there three or four times a week even when it’s not mandatory, was huge for us.”

On Mayfield finding success in the NFL:
“There’s no other person in this draft who can change a franchise, other than Baker Mayfield. He’s the type of guy who can flip a program. That’s just the type of player he is. He’s passionate. He loves the game. He’s a competitor. There’s no one else in this draft that’s like Baker Mayfield. I believe it’s going to translate incredibly well.”

What’s with the on-field antics?:
“What he gives you on the field is a lot of what you get off the field. He carries that chip at all time, he lives that way and spreads it through it friends. Just being around him he’s given me that chip, where you walk around and it’s you against the world and you have to prove something. He doesn’t need much. It could be the smallest thing in the world, but in his head it’s the world ending, the biggest thing ever, and he’s gonna prove you wrong. People who are good at what they do have that drive. I think about how Lee Corso said we were ‘pretenders,’ and he made a ‘pretenders’ sign and carried that everywhere. At the end of the day, I don’t care what the media says, but he takes it so seriously. People saw him carrying it to a game, but he carried sign that he carried around like a backpack, to the weight room, to meetings. It’s like, Why would you do that Baker? He would write all these things people said about him, like, Come on, man. But it’s been fun being around a guy like that, having that passion and that drive.”

• MAYFIELD’S HOMETOWN BRISTLES AT MANZIEL COMPARISONS: Those who knew him in high school paint a different picture of Mayfield: a homebody and video game nerd.

Should teams be worried about him off the field?:
“I’ll say this: Baker had one incident with the police. He messed up, he knows it, he was a man about it. I don’t see that happening ever again. It’s a job now, and he’s not going to let anything come between him and this job. What you see in that video is not who he is. I can assure you, Baker’s not that kind of guy. He tries to not let people down. If a team drafts him and trusts him, he’s going to do everything in his ability to prove them right. And that’s what I’m going to tell them.”

On 4/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, Beerfish said:

People  (Fans, the team that drafts him and Mayfield) are going to be in for a real rude awakening once he hits the pros.

All the rah rah leadership stuff is massively overrated for a QB these days.  Teams need leaders but it does not have to be the QB.  Also you will only be followed as a leader AFTER you show the team you are damn good and your play can up lift the team.  (This is one reason Adams is picked on  here.  He acts like he is a great super bowl vet and he has done not much so far.)

Going up against vastly superior competition is going to magnify every small physical thing.  His height will be a far bigger issues than in college.  Way better coaching of dlines here way more guys actively get their hands up.

He is going to be playing against worlds of difference competition.  The defenses he faces are going to be a nightmare compared to the schlock they call defense in the Big 12.

He is going to be the Qb for Wyoming (The jets) instead of Oklahoma.

If all goes well he can have a Sanchez like career, he can have some success because he is not without skill but a lot aspects that people love him for are going to mean jack squat in the pros.

The jets have to get lucky and pray either the browns or the giants do not take one of darnold or rosen.

Sorry boys that is the way I feel.  I am not enamored with mayield or Allen but if forced to chose I'd take Allen.......blech.

i think you're wrong in your assessment -- but more importantly -- you're missing the point. Is being a locker room leader a reason to catapult this guy into the top 10? No.... but if the player is already a top 10 talent, can it be a factor that pushes him above Allen? Of course. 

Quite frankly, it's hard to take anyone seriously (IMO) who would take Allen over Mayfield. That's something only someone would say who hasn't watched enough Allen. You want to talk about risk, and inflated "NFL" transferability? Allen over Mayfield?? Cmooon. 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As I've said before,  I watched ucla and USc games and see NFL looking QBs playing and NFL style game with big weaknesses on their teams and stout defenses.

I watch okalnoma and see defenders who are just awful playing systems easily exploited.  I see a bully team thrashing most other teams.

Good offensive college scheme?  Yes.  A scheme in which Mayfield excels?  Yes  I think it also does not resemble NFL ball near as much as others.

I do not think Mayfield is going to be a hackneburg bust.  I do think his ceiling is way lower than the other top QBs and in the wrong situation and if he has the wrong attitude it could turn out bad.

In any case i think the Mayfuled supporters are going to get their wish and the Jets will draft him.

Did you watch the Rose Bowl Fish?  The Bull Dogs have a great D.  6th in the country I think.  In a losing effort, in a great game, OU scored 48 points

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I get it. I watched USC & UCLA -- i didn't need to do a stat review or footwork breakdown, i see NFL QBs making NFL throw. Totally get it. 

I also see that with Baker. Yes, you have to ignore the 50-60% of the tape that is irrelevant and doesn't translate. but the stuff that does translate, is top quality. NFL throws, into NFL windows, and made by someone who read the field like an NFL QB.

Just now, Paradis said:

I get it. I watched USC & UCLA -- i didn't need to do a stat review or footwork breakdown, i see NFL QBs making NFL throw. Totally get it. 

I also see that with Baker. Yes, you have to ignore the 50-60% of the tape that is irrelevant and doesn't translate. but the stuff that does translate, is top quality. NFL throws, into NFL windows, and made by someone who read the field like an NFL QB.

exactly. and also, the arm strength.  mayfield throws darts, tight spirals.  usually qbs his height do not have his arm and that's where the comps to smaller qbs fail.  other qbs his height usually rely on touch and finesse, which mayfield can as well, but mayfield has a way better arm than someone like manziel.

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Did you watch the Rose Bowl Fish?  The Bull Dogs have a great D.  6th in the country I think.  In a losing effort, in a great game, OU scored 48 points

Manziel beat Alabama and put 42 up against them the year before in a loss (464 yards and 5 tds)

As far as the accuracy bit goes:

Graham Harrell 71% 45 tds 9 ints

Geno Smith 71% 42-6

Mayfield 71% 43-6

Kingsbury 67% 45-13

Dennis Dixon 68% 20-4

Petty 63% 29-7

Manziel 70% 37-13

Hey I think he will be better than the other guys I lumped above, I think he will be a starter but he is no russell wilson athlete wise and if we traded up to #3 at the cost of 3 picks he better be drew Brees.

This discussion will be interesting in the coming years when we see how each Qb has done that is for sure.

26 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Baker was terrible in the 2nd half of that game. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Baker was terrible in the 2nd half of that game. 

C'mon JiF

The whole team sagged at the end of the 3rd, and early 4th, then Mayfield seemed to lift them.  What made that a great game to watch was it wasn't a highlight reel for Mayfield, but it displayed how he reacted to adversity.

Kids a player JiF.  I'm actually surprised your as set against him as you are.   

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This Clips from SI show just why the Jets might be RIGHT in drafting Baker...

Take a look and you have to go Mayfield...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/05/baker-mayfield-lincoln-riley-oklahoma-offense-draft-audibles-protections

IMO the thing that is making Mayfield so intriguing to me isn't so much the big stats he put up out of an "air raid" O, but from all reports how he is blowing teams away on the white board which is very unusual for spread type QB's.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

People are not paying enough attention to this.  Woody is Trump's ambassador to the UK, a fairly significant cushy job.  Woody is going to get grilled by his boss if his team drafts the guy that wore the **** Trump cap and given how things seem to work, Woody would soon be the ex-ambassador.  Will Woody choose to preserve his cushy job or will he choose the future of his team?  If Rosen is on the board and the Jets take Mayfield or Allen (most Jetsiest move) we will have our answer.  

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

C'mon JiF

The whole team sagged at the end of the 3rd, and early 4th, then Mayfield seemed to lift them.  What made that a great game to watch was it wasn't a highlight reel for Mayfield, but it displayed how he reacted to adversity.

Kids a player JiF.  I'm actually surprised your as set against him as you are.   

But, he didnt though. He had no answer once the game plan script ended and he had to actually think and make plays.  He saw for the first time in his college career what a real pass rush was like and he had no answer.  He had one drive that was saved on 3rd down by a great catch on a terrible throw (though his TD in the redzone was very nice).  Otherwise, he was off, staring down pressure and not moving the ball in the 2nd half.

3 and out, 3 and out, punt, int, 3 and out, TD, 3 and out, 3 and out, FG, missed FG.  That's bad. No matter how you slice it.

I dont hate Mayfield.  He's just not my preference. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Wow, we had no idea you didn't like Mayfield. :rolleyes:  Glad you told us.  For the millionth time!

At this point, you are just trolling.   Everyone knows how you feel.  Must you repeat yourself dozens of times every day?  

Can you expand on that thought, DCat? :D

Archived