Draft Rumor Round Up; Mayfield Visit

JetNation

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO the thing that is making Mayfield so intriguing to me isn't so much the big stats he put up out of an "air raid" O, but from all reports how he is blowing teams away on the white board which is very unusual for spread type QB's.  

If you go to the article and the video, those are some of things that they point to.

Simple math...

Baker's career numbers are better by a mile than all of the other QB candidates combined.

COMBINED!!!

That is take any other QB's best numbers in their college career and they aren't close to Mayfield's...

Mayfield was better at improvisation, better in the pocket, better under pressure, a better long ball thrower, better at "NFL" throws.......just better period.....

Something really to think about here...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If you go to the article and the video, those are some of things that they point to.

Simple math...

Baker's career numbers are better by a mile than all of the other QB candidates combined.

COMBINED!!!

That is take any other QB's best numbers in their college career and they aren't close to Mayfield's...

Mayfield was better at improvisation, better in the pocket, better under pressure, a better long ball thrower, better at "NFL" throws.......just better period.....

Grahame Harrell career #s 69.5% 15793 yards 134 tds 34 ints

Baker Mayfiled career #'s 68.5% 14607 yards 131 tds 30 ints

Stats vs competition mean everything becasue the type and quality of defense, the game panning and the scouting in the NFL are on a whole other level.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Simple math...

COMBINED!!!

DZ96JAQXkAIw-2s.jpg&key=391c7b2166565d85

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Simple math...

COMBINED!!!

However, if you look at the time Mayfield has to throw , and the amount of separation his wr's have - I'm convinced half of Jet Nation could minimally put up a 50% completion rate.  You must factor in the effect of the big12 defenses.  I like Mayfield but I'm most skeptical believing his gaudy #'s will translate to the pros.

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

However, if you look at the time Mayfield has to throw , and the amount of separation his wr's have - I'm convinced half of Jet Nation could minimally put up a 50% completion rate.  You must factor in the effect of the big12 defenses.  I like Mayfield but I'm most skeptical believing his gaudy #'s will translate to the pros.

I essentially agree with your post, but what about the stat that says Baker is the best under pressure?

Indeed I’m not really a stat guy but the numbers aren’t close and when you watch the film Baker is the most complete QB on the draft this year.  He throws well, is acccurate and according to reports is excellent on the white board  

Let’s say Baker was 6ft 4in tall; would he be the consensus No.1?  I think that he very well might be. 

And if that is the case, we have to be willing to ask are we punishing him to much for those say 2 to 3 inches?

Just asking. :) 

3 hours ago, Green DNA said:

People are not paying enough attention to this.  Woody is Trump's ambassador to the UK, a fairly significant cushy job.  Woody is going to get grilled by his boss if his team drafts the guy that wore the **** Trump cap and given how things seem to work, Woody would soon be the ex-ambassador.  Will Woody choose to preserve his cushy job or will he choose the future of his team?  If Rosen is on the board and the Jets take Mayfield or Allen (most Jetsiest move) we will have our answer.  

not all players share their owners political views and the owners still employ them 

Let's also not forget that it was Christopher Johnson that went to dinner with these guys and will have input 

Mayfield has a chance to be a middle of the road NFL starter, in the right system. That is his ceiling, and it is Rosen’s floor.

Rosen is a pure passer, he’ll be dissecting defenses.

These college stats and metrics based on college games are of little value as far as pro career projection. 

My .02

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Maybe...or maybe, Ben, you're a tool being used to encourage some team to trade the farm to get to #2 to get Mayfield.  It seems like these guys keep on believing their sources when clearly more often than not, they are being fed bullsh*t.  Hence why for every guy who has 'Baker to the Jets', there is another who has 'Rosen to the Jets' followed by 'Allen to the Jets'.  Same for the Browns, Giants and Broncos.

Hell of a way to make a living.

I again ask. What big player move ie trade, draft etc..other than FA signing (because said players agent leaks it) has been leaked out to the media since Mcc came aboard?  Especially to this degree?!?

Now it still could happen but I highly doubt the decision makers ie Mcc, Bowles, Chris Johnson are leaking this. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Manziel beat Alabama and put 42 up against them the year before in a loss (464 yards and 5 tds)

As far as the accuracy bit goes:

Graham Harrell 71% 45 tds 9 ints

Geno Smith 71% 42-6

Mayfield 71% 43-6

Kingsbury 67% 45-13

Dennis Dixon 68% 20-4

Petty 63% 29-7

Manziel 70% 37-13

Hey I think he will be better than the other guys I lumped above, I think he will be a starter but he is no russell wilson athlete wise and if we traded up to #3 at the cost of 3 picks he better be drew Brees.

This discussion will be interesting in the coming years when we see how each Qb has done that is for sure.

Mayfield is NOWHERE near the athlete Russell Wilson is.  Wilson ran a 4.4 and is jacked.  Mayfield ran a 4.8 

37 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mayfield has a chance to be a middle of the road NFL starter, in the right system. That is his ceiling, and it is Rosen’s floor.

These college stats and metrics based on college games are of little value as far as pro career projection. 

My .02

If we pass on Rosen the next Aaron Rodgers for this clown because he put up numbers in a pillow fight conference on a stacked team in video game spread system oh my God

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I essentially agree with your post, but what about the stat that says Baker is the best under pressure?

Indeed I’m not really a stat guy but the numbers aren’t close and when you watch the film Baker is the most complete QB on the draft this year.  He throws well, is acccurate and according to reports is excellent on the white board  

Let’s say Baker was 6ft 4in tall; would he be the consensus No.1?  I think that he very well might be. 

And if that is the case, we have to be willing to ask are we punishing him to much for those say 2 to 3 inches?

Just asking. :) 

For me the issue isn't the height , its the fact he compiled monster stats in a conference that is allergic to defense.  Its almost the opposite concern of Josh Allen . For Mayfield the question is can he replicate his terrific comp % in the pros when the teams he plays against will be much stronger competition on the defensive side of the ball. For Allen the question is can his bad numbers be overcome with better surrounding players in the pros. 

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If we pass on Rosen the next Aaron Rodgers for this clown because he put up numbers in a pillow fight conference on a stacked team in video game spread system oh my God

It is remarkable that college stats will play such a big role in Mayfield's evaluation and justify taking him over Rosen, when no other pro sport puts such weight on amateur stats.  Like every other prospect, Mayfield performed against a super-majority of opponents who would never become pros.

On what Mayfield was doing behind the scenes:
“He was always the guy to text everybody to get together and get in work that was not scheduled with the football team. Getting in routes and going over things, etc. And that’s huge. When you haven’t played football in a while you need to go run some routes and catch some balls with your quarterback and stay in rhythm. Having that person who demands everyone be there three or four times a week even when it’s not mandatory, was huge for us.”

On Mayfield finding success in the NFL:
“There’s no other person in this draft who can change a franchise, other than Baker Mayfield. He’s the type of guy who can flip a program. That’s just the type of player he is. He’s passionate. He loves the game. He’s a competitor. There’s no one else in this draft that’s like Baker Mayfield. I believe it’s going to translate incredibly well.”

Although everything mentioned above is reason enough to draft the kid- for all the we've been hearing from management is "culture change ", the kid better be able to read a defense.

that is all.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

It is remarkable that college stats will play such a big role in Mayfield's evaluation and justify taking him over Rosen, when no other pro sport puts such weight on amateur stats.  Like every other prospect, Mayfield performed against a super-majority of opponents who would never become pros.

Overall starts and completion percentage have the highest correlation to pro success. It'd be silly not to look at the stats. It's the biggest factor for quarterbacks. Mayfield also played extremely well against Ohio State and Georgia, two defenses with a bunch of pros.

A lot of people outright ignoring Rosen's flaws even outside of the personality. He took a ton of sacks, which translates terribly to the NFL, injured frequently, and didnt have the completion % you generally look for. He looked smooth when everything went right, but when things broke down he was by far the worst of the three. Sacks, fumbles and injuries.

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

Did you watch the Rose Bowl Fish?  The Bull Dogs have a great D.  6th in the country I think.  In a losing effort, in a great game, OU scored 48 points

TCU has a good defense and he beat them twice, as well as Ohio State. I don’t know where the article is but it’s been posted here in the past that Baker overall played just as tough or tougher pass defenses than the rest of the top QBs. It’s a myth that Baker just put up his numbers v all crappy big 12 teams 

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Geno Smith - same conference same offensive system had 71% completion percentage, 4200 yards passing and 42 tds his senior year

E87EFD94-3056-4448-80D3-4EB280E51CCB.png

And Mayfield had a waayyyy better team playing with him at Oklahoma 

21 hours ago, JiF said:

But, he didnt though. He had no answer once the game plan script ended and he had to actually think and make plays.  He saw for the first time in his college career what a real pass rush was like and he had no answer.  He had one drive that was saved on 3rd down by a great catch on a terrible throw (though his TD in the redzone was very nice).  Otherwise, he was off, staring down pressure and not moving the ball in the 2nd half.

3 and out, 3 and out, punt, int, 3 and out, TD, 3 and out, 3 and out, FG, missed FG.  That's bad. No matter how you slice it.

I dont hate Mayfield.  He's just not my preference. 

Brace yourself.  It looks like he's coming.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Geno Smith - same conference same offensive system had 71% completion percentage, 4200 yards passing and 42 tds his senior year

E87EFD94-3056-4448-80D3-4EB280E51CCB.png

And Mayfield had a waayyyy better team playing with him at Oklahoma 

Not to quibble, but Geno had two future NFL wide receivers at West Virginia including one who was drafted number 8 in the first round (Tavon Austin) and another (Stedman Bailey) who was drafted in the third round.

17 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

My .02

I don't buy this type of conclusory statement.  I expect him to better than Rosen because of his superior mobility.  We shall see.  I guess that's why they play the games.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Playing against mostly crappy defenses in his conference on a stacked team 

Ohio State really sucked.  You can only play the teams on your schedule, 

And I guess Allen played against much better defenses in putting up his eye-popping numbers?

22 hours ago, Green DNA said:

People are not paying enough attention to this.  Woody is Trump's ambassador to the UK, a fairly significant cushy job.  Woody is going to get grilled by his boss if his team drafts the guy that wore the **** Trump cap and given how things seem to work, Woody would soon be the ex-ambassador.  Will Woody choose to preserve his cushy job or will he choose the future of his team?  If Rosen is on the board and the Jets take Mayfield or Allen (most Jetsiest move) we will have our answer.  

This may be overblown.  You get those cushy political jobs by donating tons of money.  Trump probably needs Woody more than Woody needs Trump.  It would be pretty easy for Woody to say that he's not running the team and the football decisions are made by football men.  I am sure that Trump roots for players he does not agree with politically.  OTOH, he is exactly the type of guy that would dump an ambassador over something like the QBs hat.

18 hours ago, C Mart said:

I again ask. What big player move ie trade, draft etc..other than FA signing (because said players agent leaks it) has been leaked out to the media since Mcc came aboard?  Especially to this degree?!?

Now it still could happen but I highly doubt the decision makers ie Mcc, Bowles, Chris Johnson are leaking this. 

Off the top of my head, cutting Decker comes to mind.

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Mayfield is NOWHERE near the athlete Russell Wilson is.  Wilson ran a 4.4 and is jacked.  Mayfield ran a 4.8 

When did Wilson run a 4.4?  He ran in the mid 4.5's at the combine. 

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

He's not at as fast but he's much taller.  I've noticed that you think that matters.

Two full inches.  That is important - just ask T0m.  If Mayfield were two inches taller he'd be bigger than Rodgers!

On 4/11/2018 at 10:05 AM, Beerfish said:

If the Jets draft friggin mayfield over Rosen it will go down as yet another epic blunder by the jets that we and our kids will be talking about for 20 years.

I don't think we can pass on Rosen if he is there - he has too much talent and is much more prepared for the NFL than Mayfield is. Mayfield is going to have to learn how to play under center. Rosen will be pretty much ready to play and is simply more talented.

40 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't buy this type of conclusory statement.  I expect him to better than Rosen because of his superior mobility.  We shall see.  I guess that's why they play the games.

I buy it. Rosen is the most natural passer in this draft that can play immediately in a pro style offense. Baker will be running out of the pocket more, is fiery, but just not as gifted. Wouldn't be right to draft him over Rosen. If we were at 6 I would be fine with it because Rosen would be gone. I hate to say it again, but would you rather have Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson?

22 hours ago, Green DNA said:

I'm sorry, this is completely off base to me. You actually think most of the players think the same politically as the Johnson's? I would put the ceiling at 10%. You don't let politics affect business. Trump condones police brutality and targeting of African Americans - you think anyone on the Jets roster or coaching staff does? Does that mean Woody does - hell no! Everyone has a right to their opinion, but mine is that this is just not a factor. ESPECIALLY with Chris Johnson running the show. He wants to win and seems more invested in the team.

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

I buy it. Rosen is the most natural passer in this draft that can play immediately in a pro style offense. Baker will be running out of the pocket more, is fiery, but just not as gifted. Wouldn't be right to draft him over Rosen. If we were at 6 I would be fine with it because Rosen would be gone. I hate to say it again, but would you rather have Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson?

Respectfully, this is apples and oranges.  Rodgers is a very mobile guy.  I don't think that Rosen is.  And I am worried about the injuries that may follow from that.

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Brace yourself.  It looks like he's coming.

If he does, I'll be happy and hope for the best.  I just want one of the 3 at this point.  And my preferences arent even that solid.  It's like...I love both a Filet, a NY Strip and a Ribeye - i just slightly prefer the Filet but I'm just happy to be eating a good cut of steak. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If he does, I'll be happy and hope for the best.  I just want one of the 3 at this point.  And my preferences arent even that solid.  It's like...I love both a Filet, a NY Strip and a Ribeye - i just slightly prefer the Filet but I'm just happy to be eating a good cut of steak. 

I'm with you.  The only guy I don't want is Allen.  I'd be perfectly happy with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I'm with you.  The only guy I don't want is Allen.  I'd be perfectly happy with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield. 

and this seems the most likely reason the jets were happy trading up to #3 and not giving up next year's #1 pick.  this, and the chance the giants may not take a qb, and the browns may take allen anyway.

Archived