Draft Rumor Round Up; Mayfield Visit

JetNation

23 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Ohio State really sucked.  You can only play the teams on your schedule, 

And I guess Allen played against much better defenses in putting up his eye-popping numbers?

Did Allen have the country’s best offensive line and a bunch or WRs and TE who are all going to the nfl?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't think we can pass on Rosen if he is there - he has too much talent and is much more prepared for the NFL than Mayfield is. Mayfield is going to have to learn how to play under center. Rosen will be pretty much ready to play and is simply more talented.

Passing on Rosen will be a repeat of the Marino fiasco for us

21 hours ago, JiF said:

If he does, I'll be happy and hope for the best.  I just want one of the 3 at this point.  And my preferences arent even that solid.  It's like...I love both a Filet, a NY Strip and a Ribeye - i just slightly prefer the Filet but I'm just happy to be eating a good cut of steak. 

Wow . That moment when you know .. you just know 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Passing on Rosen will be a repeat of the Marino fiasco for us

Nobody is passing on Rosen for Mayfield. Darnold and Rosen will go 1/2, 2/1 and we will be left with Mayfield or Allen to pick from. The rest of this talk is talk. It was always going to be that way. 

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

By 1.5 inches? Lol

Wilson was measured at 5'10' and 5/8 at the Combine -- two inches shorter than Mayfield.  You are very inconsistent because elsewhere you have argued that two inches make a big difference.  You are a bit hard to follow due to inconsistency.

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Did Allen have the country’s best offensive line and a bunch or WRs and TE who are all going to the nfl?

Allen will be out of the league in three or four years, or  just barely hanging on.  I am not confident about a lot of things with these QBs but I feel fairly sure about that.

6 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Wilson was measured at 5'10' and 5/8 at the Combine -- two inches shorter than Mayfield.  You are very inconsistent because elsewhere you have argued that two inches make a big difference.  You are a bit hard to follow due to inconsistency.

But is he monotonously inconsistent?

?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I was told they had it Darnold, Mayfield, Allen

That is pretty crazy if true.  @Mogglez always told us how much Macc loved Rosen which certainly seemed to be the case.  Hard to think of him as the fourth option.  Also hard to imagine that he will be there at 6 from the latest rumors.

13 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

That is pretty crazy if true.  @Mogglez always told us how much Macc loved Rosen which certainly seemed to be the case.  Hard to think of him as the fourth option.  Also hard to imagine that he will be there at 6 from the latest rumors.

Per Allbright, Rosen appears to be the one who could fall the most. Says that GMs fear "high floor/low ceiling"

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Per Allbright, Rosen appears to be the one who could fall the most. Says that GMs fear "high floor/low ceiling"

GMs are terrified of low floor.  Mac drafts for high floor.  Rosen has a low floor because of injury/retire risk.  It’s not the past concussions that worry people.  It’s the fact that he is going to get hit by bigger, faster, meaner people playing for a bad team with a bad line, and he is not very mobile, so there is no logical reason to think he is not going to get hurt again.  

On 4/11/2018 at 9:11 AM, Villain The Foe said:

The best teacher is experience. If Todd Bowles starts Josh McCown week 1 he should be fired before the week 2 game. The Jets have to stop this nonsense. 

Have to disagree. Rookie qbs needs some nfl practices, not just rushed in so team has to babysit like we did Sanchez. We are not doing color wrist bands again lol. The big difference is we had a allstar line when we brought in little boy Sanchez. This line is horrible and could get our rookie killed if he takes too long to make a read ( which a rookie will do ). I really don’t care if josh McCown gets knocked around or injured playing 1st half of season.rookie qb I do.  

Geno Smith - same conference same offensive system had 71% completion percentage, 4200 yards passing and 42 tds his senior year

E87EFD94-3056-4448-80D3-4EB280E51CCB.thumb.png.4a74621d63d091477916d69c911bd02e.png

And Mayfield had a waayyyy better team playing with him at Oklahoma 

Yet Geno was drafted in the 2nd round and Mayfield is considered a top 5 pick. Why?

Mayfield isn’t being considered this high because of his stats. It’s because of the tools he possesses.

He’s exceptionally accurate (not stats, but his actual throws) he has a very big arm (likely second to Allen) he has a very quick release and can read defenses well - he’s not a first look guy.

It’s seems quite the opposite to me - he’s being looked down upon because of his success in that system.

If he were two inches taller he would be the no brainer consensus number one.

I have 3rd on my board. I don’t love him, but the idea that he sucks because he was successful on a good team is absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yet Geno was drafted in the 2nd round and Mayfield is considered a top 5 pick. Why?

Mayfield isn’t being considered this high because of his stats. It’s because of the tools he possesses.

He’s exceptionally accurate (not stats, but his actual throws) he has a very big arm (likely second to Allen) he has a very quick release and can read defenses well - he’s not a first look guy.

It’s seems he’s being looked down upon because of his success in that system.

If he were two inches taller he would be the no brainer consensus number one.

I have him 3rd on my board. but the idea that he sucks because he was successful on a good team is absurd.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying Rosen is natural passer - what does that even mean?

I see an an injury prone, immobile guy, with an average arm, that takes a lot of sacks.

I’ve watched him and don’t get the fascination.

He has very good footwork, and a pretty quick release. That said, IMO, he is as big of a bust risk as any of them including Allen. 

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Have to disagree. Rookie qbs needs some nfl practices, not just rushed in so team has to babysit like we did Sanchez. We are not doing color wrist bands again lol. The big difference is we had a allstar line when we brought in little boy Sanchez. This line is horrible and could get our rookie killed if he takes too long to make a read ( which a rookie will do ). I really don’t care if josh McCown gets knocked around or injured playing 1st half of season.rookie qb I do.  

When you tell me that you disagree, but have to say that "The big (or only) difference is that we had an allstar line" then you already lost. The fact that you have to discredit the fact that we had pieces around while also disregarding the #1 and #4 defense goes to show why your position makes not sense, but I'll respond anyway. 

Sanchez went to 2 NFCCG's during his first 2 seasons. He was the winningest QB in Jets history in the post season. 

I highly doubt that the first two successful seasons wrecked Mark Sanchez. What wrecked Sanchez was bad coaching from Rex Ryan and a terrible front office who's job it was to put together and replenish talent on this team via the draft. 

The best players drafted during Sanchez 4 years as a Jet were "Matt Slauson, Vlad Ducasse, Bilal Powell, Muhammad Wilkerson, Jeremy Kerley and Demario Davis". And the only reason why I say that these guys were the Jets best drafted players is because outside of Jeremey Kerley, they're the only one's still in the NFL. 

The Jets top two picks from every draft since 2009 are currently out of the league "Kyle Wilson, Shonn Greene, Kendrick Ellis, Stephen Hill and Quinton Coples". And when they were in the league they produced nothing, which is why they're out of the league. 

To respond to the current QB situation, this is why you dont draft Josh Rosen...a guy who may be a pure pocket passer but you dont have the pieces around him to keep him clean. You must draft a guy who's able to move out of the pocket and do things when the pocket breaks down. 

If you are concerned with your Oline then dont draft a pocket passer who is more for the most part immobile. If you do then not being able to play him until you get an Oline makes no sense then because I havent seen the Jets be able to build an Oline for the past 10 years....since Mark Sanchez. 

Get the right QB for your situation, and if we happen to get nice OLine pieces than that will be the cherry on the top. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

When you tell me that you disagree, but have to say that "The big (or only) difference is that we had an allstar line" then you already lost. The fact that you have to discredit the fact that we had pieces around while also disregarding the #1 and #4 defense goes to show why your position makes not sense, but I'll respond anyway. 

Sanchez went to 2 NFCCG's during his first 2 seasons. He was the winningest QB in Jets history in the post season. 

I highly doubt that the first two successful seasons wrecked Mark Sanchez. What wrecked Sanchez was bad coaching from Rex Ryan and a terrible front office who's job it was to put together and replenish talent on this team via the draft. 

The best players drafted during Sanchez 4 years as a Jet were "Matt Slauson, Vlad Ducasse, Bilal Powell, Muhammad Wilkerson, Jeremy Kerley and Demario Davis". And the only reason why I say that these guys were the Jets best drafted players is because outside of Jeremey Kerley, they're the only one's still in the NFL. 

The Jets top two picks from every draft since 2009 are currently out of the league "Kyle Wilson, Shonn Greene, Kendrick Ellis, Stephen Hill and Quinton Coples". And when they were in the league they produced nothing, which is why they're out of the league. 

To respond to the current QB situation, this is why you dont draft Josh Rosen...a guy who may be a pure pocket passer but you dont have the pieces around him to keep him clean. You must draft a guy who's able to move out of the pocket and do things when the pocket breaks down. 

If you are concerned with your Oline then dont draft a pocket passer who is more for the most part immobile. If you do then not being able to play him until you get an Oline makes no sense then because I havent seen the Jets be able to build an Oline for the past 10 years....since Mark Sanchez. 

Get the right QB for your situation, and if we happen to get nice OLine pieces than that will be the cherry on the top. 

While I respect that point of view I must disagree. 

Bates is a first time OC. Maccagnan needs to ignore everything about this offense and take the best NFL QB prospect. 

If bates can't adjust his offense to the rookie, fire his ass. 

Once the Jets have a QB they will be able to attract better coaches. 

The Jets line isn't terrible. It could be better but you don't pass up on a QB because of the line 

The one thing that will never change is this is a tough market and the guy needs to be mentally strong 

That is one aspect I would pay close attention to 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

While I respect that point of view I must disagree. 

Bates is a first time OC. Maccagnan needs to ignore everything about this offense and take the best NFL QB prospect. 

If bates can't adjust his offense to the rookie, fire his ass. 

Once the Jets have a QB they will be able to attract better coaches. 

The Jets line isn't terrible. It could be better but you don't pass up on a QB because of the line 

The one thing that will never change is this is a tough market and the guy needs to be mentally strong 

That is one aspect I would pay close attention to 

If this is your response, then we're not in disagreement. 

The person I responded to stated that we should coddle our rookie because "look at what happened to Sanchez"...as if Sanchez first couple years here were career breaking. 

I agree with everything you said here. When I say that our rookie should be starting day 1, Im coming from the position of him actually deserving to play. When I see Bowles "give" the starting job to McCown in early March before signing Bridgewater and before drafting our QB I have a serious problem with that. 

Nothing you said I disagree with...and I feel like my perspective on the situation falls in line similarly.

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying Rosen is natural passer - what does that even mean?

I see an an injury prone, immobile guy, with an average arm, that takes a lot of sacks.

I’ve watched him and don’t get the fascination.

Yet you have some how watched complete games of Allen and came out impressed?  I get it that you are “wowed” by the arm, but how many calls in the playbook have 10-step drops and fling the bell 75 yards down the field?  Allen’s ability to break down a defense if far behind the other three.  His chalk board sessions were very inferior to Rosen and Mayfield.  

Allen is the worst case scenario for this FO/Coaching staff/fans.  Because it means that McCown will start this year and we’ll be in the market for another Jag starter in year 5 of Macc and Bowles.  Then in year 6 when we have all the pieces in place, Allen comes out and plays like he has shown the world.  Then Macc and Bowles get fired, fans wasted yet another 3 years, and the team around that bottom 5 QB is just too good to land in the top 2 of the draft, so we just end up redoing 2013 - 2017 all over again.  Like Groundhog Day.

Not sure how many of us fans that have been blindly faithful for the past 40 years plus have the patience for this kind of incompetence any more.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If this is your response, then we're not in disagreement. 

The person I responded to stated that we should coddle our rookie because "look at what happened to Sanchez"...as if Sanchez first couple years here were career breaking. 

I agree with everything you said here. When I say that our rookie should be starting day 1, Im coming from the position of him actually deserving to play. When I see Bowles "give" the starting job to McCown in early March before signing Bridgewater and before drafting our QB I have a serious problem with that. 

Nothing you said I disagree with...and I feel like my perspective on the situation falls in line similarly.

Ok, so the take away here is I am lazy and didn't have proper context 

At least this time I was almost polite ?

12 hours ago, NoBowles said:

He has very good footwork, and a pretty quick release. That said, IMO, he is as big of a bust risk as any of them including Allen. 

Accuracy is everything in the NFL.  You can’t be a starting QB in this league if you can’t throw a ball into very tight windows.  In order to have elite accuracy, you need great mechanics.  Rosen’s mechanics are flawless.  So instead of wasting the coaches time during Allen’s rookie year, trying to get him to have consistent mechanics and trying to educate him on how to properly read a defense, Rosen can learn the entire playbook by camp.  Just like Carson Wentz.

The ONLY reason Rosen could bust is injuries, and you can absolutely say that any QB in the league could get injured.  Allen’s collarbone was broken in 7 places in 2015 and he missed the entire year.  Collarbones are suseptible to re-breaking.  

I think Jet fans have been scouting these guys since last draft and people have been guilty of over thinking.

I can live with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  I can’t accept taking Allen.  It’s not just me.

Every Jet podcast out there is horrified that the possibility of our front office being stupid enough egomaniacal enough to think they can turn Allen into a starting QB.  Given several seasons under an Andy Reid, Sean Payton, minutely possible.  Under our current structure, no way in hell.  With two incredibly injury prone guys in front of him, he won’t even get to sit for his entire rookie season.

50 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Yet you have some how watched complete games of Allen and came out impressed?  I get it that you are “wowed” by the arm, but how many calls in the playbook have 10-step drops and fling the bell 75 yards down the field?  Allen’s ability to break down a defense if far behind the other three.  His chalk board sessions were very inferior to Rosen and Mayfield.  

Allen is the worst case scenario for this FO/Coaching staff/fans.  Because it means that McCown will start this year and we’ll be in the market for another Jag starter in year 5 of Macc and Bowles.  Then in year 6 when we have all the pieces in place, Allen comes out and plays like he has shown the world.  Then Macc and Bowles get fired, fans wasted yet another 3 years, and the team around that bottom 5 QB is just too good to land in the top 2 of the draft, so we just end up redoing 2013 - 2017 all over again.  Like Groundhog Day.

Not sure how many of us fans that have been blindly faithful for the past 40 years plus have the patience for this kind of incompetence any more.

Or....

By year 3 we realize we have a Cam Newton skill et and a legit shot to win the superbowl every year for 15 years.  What I see in Allen is potential for greatness -

I don't see that in any of the others - I've been a fan for 40+ years as well but I would still prefer to dare to be great - than take a QB that will keep us competitive and sneak into the wildcard every 3rd or 4th year.

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Or....

By year 3 we realize we have a Cam Newton skill et and a legit shot to win the superbowl every year for 15 years.  What I see in Allen is potential for greatness -

I don't see that in any of the others - I've been a fan for 40+ years as well but I would still prefer to dare to be great - than take a QB that will keep us competitive and sneak into the wildcard every 3rd or 4th year.

I get that Allen’s game reminds some of Cam Newton.  But the biggest hole in Cam’s game coming out of Auburn was his passing.  But Cam’s year at Auburn illustrated that he was was the best player in all of college football and Cam had already played in the national spot light on a week to week basis and had the confidence (and results) to shut the critics up.  And to allow team mates and fans patience.  That said, Allen’s passing is not any where near Cam’s at the same point of development.

Allen has a 92-yard passing game against Hawaii.  He is way too much of a long shot for a franchise that continually bets (and loses) on long shots.  If we already had our QB for the next 3 seasons where we could compete for the playoffs and hide Allen on the bench, I could live with the pick.  

We don’t.  We don’t have a realistic chance of competing for the playoffs with what we have for this season.  And based on McCown’s ability to not last an entire season healthy and affective and Bridgewater’s knee not being healthy 2 years after his injury, whoever #3 is, is going to be starting games in 2018.  That is an absolute certainty.  And based on every bit of evidence we have, Allen won’t be near ready.

So when Bridgewater is released at final cut downs or when McCown gets injured and will need to miss significant time, we will need to sign yet another Jag to prevent Allen from having to play and exposing the organization’s gross negligence and inability to scout, draft, and develop QBs.  We’ve already seen this movie and know how it ends.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Don’t really understand where you went with all that, you were all over the place Foe lol.. 

i agree about Rosen, and pointed your point out many times on board already. Not that I wouldn’t agree with him for ending his career early, but a immobile pocket passer with 2 concussions going to the team with worst Oline in nfl doesn’t make sense. Especially when his love for game has been questioned, he could easily walk away ( and should ) after two more bell rings. 

I just disagreed that we have to start mayfield right away. I didn’t elaborate why. I don’t  agree the best way is too learn out on the field. A rookie qb needs to prepare a ton. He needs to learn the NFL offense, and the Jets offense. Among any other little things. It’s kind of hard to work on all that early in season why he must study the upcoming opponent and rep with 1st team. If it’s mayfield and not Rosen, ok we don’t have to worry as much about the line. I’d rather put the rookie in when he is ready. Not cornered about the fans who just want to see him play, and can’t stand McCown, ect. Who did a very serviceable job last yr. There is no reason not to let McCown start and give the rookie extra time to prepare. I think some fans worry mcCown could play pretty well again, and our rookie does not play most of the yr because of it ;)

On 4/11/2018 at 5:40 PM, Larz said:

not all players share their owners political views and the owners still employ them 

Let's also not forget that it was Christopher Johnson that went to dinner with these guys and will have input 

On 4/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, #27TheDominator said:

This may be overblown.  You get those cushy political jobs by donating tons of money.  Trump probably needs Woody more than Woody needs Trump.  It would be pretty easy for Woody to say that he's not running the team and the football decisions are made by football men.  I am sure that Trump roots for players he does not agree with politically.  OTOH, he is exactly the type of guy that would dump an ambassador over something like the QBs hat.

Off the top of my head, cutting Decker comes to mind.

When did Wilson run a 4.4?  He ran in the mid 4.5's at the combine. 

Two full inches.  That is important - just ask T0m.  If Mayfield were two inches taller he'd be bigger than Rodgers!

On 4/12/2018 at 12:39 PM, Greensleeves said:

I'm sorry, this is completely off base to me. You actually think most of the players think the same politically as the Johnson's? I would put the ceiling at 10%. You don't let politics affect business. Trump condones police brutality and targeting of African Americans - you think anyone on the Jets roster or coaching staff does? Does that mean Woody does - hell no! Everyone has a right to their opinion, but mine is that this is just not a factor. ESPECIALLY with Chris Johnson running the show. He wants to win and seems more invested in the team.

Wearing a F**K Trump hat is different than wearing a Hillary 2020 sweatshirt.   If you don't think that this is an issue for a meddling owner like Woody then you haven't been paying attention.  While little brother has been handling the day to day stuff, it is still Woody's team. Politics seems to affect business when it comes to kneeling for the anthem, just ask Seattle.  I want Rosen, but it's the Jets we are talking about here. 

On 4/14/2018 at 6:23 AM, Pcola said:

You know, I'm really getting sick of this Josh Allen is a bust talk, according to this reddit user McCown likes Allen the best, and considering he's basically our qb coach and believes he's fixable, I'm willing to trust him. Now for the rest of your post, here's a guy on reddit, dispelling the myth that Josh Allen sucks.

In case your to lazy to read all that, the point of that matter is, if Allen was throwing the same passes as Mayfield was throwing, his completion rating would jump up to 61.9%. Also, for all the he couldn't beat up on MWC teams idiots out there, he was the 3rd most pressured qb in the country while also having a bottom 5-10 rushing attack. To make matters even better, in the one game, where they had comparable coaching and teams (the senior bowl) Allen looked a lot better then Mayfield did. The reason why Allen's completion % is so terrible, is he doesn't get lay up throws like the rest of the guys, 8% fewer passes behind the los compared to other qbs, plays on a crap team, and has the Brett Farve gun slinger mentality where he makes risky throws cause he trusts his arm so much.

Agreed that Allen would be a disaster. And that big arm stuff is overblown, at best. Yes, he can heave it 80 yards but his downfield success rate is the worst of the bunch.

4 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

You know, I'm really getting sick of this Josh Allen is a bust talk, according to this reddit user McCown likes Allen the best, and considering he's basically our qb coach and believes he's fixable, I'm willing to trust him. Now for the rest of your post, here's a guy on reddit, dispelling the myth that Josh Allen sucks.

In case your to lazy to read all that, the point of that matter is, if Allen was throwing the same passes as Mayfield was throwing, his completion rating would jump up to 61.9%. Also, for all the he couldn't beat up on MWC teams idiots out there, he was the 3rd most pressured qb in the country while also having a bottom 5-10 rushing attack. To make matters even better, in the one game, where they had comparable coaching and teams (the senior bowl) Allen looked a lot better then Mayfield did. The reason why Allen's completion % is so terrible, is he doesn't get lay up throws like the rest of the guys, 8% fewer passes behind the los compared to other qbs, plays on a crap team, and has the Brett Farve gun slinger mentality where he makes risky throws cause he trusts his arm so much.

Look, I’m not attacking you, but if I was McCown, I would LOVE the Jets to draft Allen.  Probably nets him another 2 years, $25M.  Darnold, Rosen, And Myfield would be the permanent starter no later than December.  Allen guarantees McCown has zero threat to his job and he will have serious leverage to resign next offseason.

Just give me one example of a QB with Allen’s tape and stats that has ever done anything in the NFL?  Now imagine the pressure of being a top 3 pick with that type of portfolio?  If we draft Allen, We are betting against a world of evidence.  

Heck, here is a QB that went 2-4 as a starter in Junior College.  If this guy was any where near good enough to raise the level of play around him, how the hell does he lose to Hartnell Junior College with a stat line of 13-35-241 yards?  37% completion.  

Josh Allen would be a fantastic pick in the third round for a team that can stash in for 3 years.  

Not for a team that has had the pile of dog crap at QB that we have had since 1969.  We need a slam dunk with this pick, not a one-handed full court prayer.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Look, I’m not attacking you, but if I was McCown, I would LOVE the Jets to draft Allen.  Probably nets him another 2 years, $25M.  Darnold, Rosen, And Myfield would be the permanent starter no later than December.  Allen guarantees McCown has zero threat to his job and he will have serious leverage to resign next offseason.

Just give me one example of a QB with Allen’s tape and stats that has ever done anything in the NFL?  Now imagine the pressure of being a top 3 pick with that type of portfolio?  If we draft Allen, We are betting against a world of evidence.  

Heck, here is a QB that went 2-4 as a starter in Junior College.  If this guy was any where near good enough to raise the level of play around him, how the hell does he lose to Hartnell Junior College with a stat line of 13-35-241 yards?  37% completion.  

Josh Allen would be a fantastic pick in the third round for a team that can stash in for 3 years.  

Not for a team that has had the pile of dog crap at QB that we have had since 1969.  We need a slam dunk with this pick, not a one-handed full court prayer.

just like how brady loves lamar jackson.  guaranteed job security.

22 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Different era but what the hell:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html (57.6%)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html (52.4%)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-fouts-1.html (50.4%!)

I could do this all day but you get the point.  

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If somehow Allen fell to 3 - we should run, not walk, the card up.  

He's going to be the best QB in this draft.

Archived