Trumaine Johnson was the No. 1 press-man CB in the NFL in 2017

NYJets8

The Los Angeles Rams made Trumaine Johnson the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL last offseason when they placed the franchise tag on him for a second straight year. It was the Rams’ only move after being unable to sign him long-term, and although he wasn’t the best cornerback in the league, he did have a fairly strong season.

In 15 starts, he recorded 65 tackles, 14 passes defensed and two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown. Johnson struggled in coverage against the likes of Pierre Garcon and DeAndre Hopkins at times, but in all, it was an above-average year for him.

If you dig into the stats a bit more, too, you’ll find out just how good Johnson was in one particular coverage style: press-man. As one of the biggest, most physical corners in the NFL, Johnson is at his best when he can get his hands on receivers at the line of scrimmage.

Bleacher Report’s Ian Wharton proved that well-known fact for his forthcoming cornerback handbook, finding that Johnson was the best corner in the league in press-man coverage.

It was in off-man coverage where Johnson wasn’t elite, although he still ranked 23rd by Wharton’s measures. Wade Phillips knows that Johnson’s best asset is his physicality, which is why he was viewed as such a good fit for this defense.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

A little sneak peak of the Rams' section of my coverage book. Trumaine Johnson finished #1 in press-man effectiveness with an 84% "in position" rate. He allowed just 43 yards all season in press.

Too bad they are not going to be a great secondary.  No pass rush at all without scheming it and thus leaving other areas open.

We are far better off at Cb though, no question.  If our safeties take that 2nd year step up as stated the secondary will be good.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Too bad they are not going to be a great secondary.  No pass rush at all without scheming it and thus leaving other areas open.

We are far better off at Cb though, no question.  If our safeties take that 2nd year step up as stated the secondary will be good.

yep I hate to be a debbie downer but the lack of a pass rush is still very concerning to me 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's okay.  They have a plan to fix it in 2019.

Khalil Mack wants a huge contract and Gruden has been playing hard ball with these guys since he got there. Maybe we can grab him if anything..but that really is just wishful thinking with the franchise tag available.. but with the average salary a pass rusher makes...wonder if Gruden would even do a franchise tag if he didn’t want to commit money to him to begin with

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

^ Agree with Jetster, really excited about the secondary. Maccagnan did a nice job with the cornerback situation in particular. 

I'm excited too. I like our secondary now. Wish we had a upgrade in the slot over Buster but maybe one of the other CB's will step up like Clark, Coleman or Robinson.

6 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Johnson's Island

interesting ring but some history as that was the site of a prisoner-of-war camp for Confederate officers captured during the Civil War

One of the better POW camps that you blue belly scum ran if I recall..

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We’re still vulnerable to Tight Ends, Lee and Adams are every tight ends’ dream

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

You know it, Alcatraz gets all of the press but Johnson's Island was the true island lock down - holding 10x more rebel scum (no offense)

Jaguars and Titans will be grounded this year :) 

None taken

On 4/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, Jetster said:

Jets are going to have a REALLY GOOD secondary with Mo moving to the 2nd CB, and Adams & Maye in their 2nd year and more experienced.

Yeah but watch Bowles have no idea how to use Johnson, or just use him in zone coverage, where he is at his weakest

• 4 months later...

wanted to place this comment in the original thrfead rather than start a new one...  hint

so..  i was basically unaware of this player. then a bit puzzled when i saw what little i saw in p-season.

so i watched some reel. it appears there are some ythings he does very very well. particularly, positioninig so he can see what the QB is doing and not reacting SO LATE to the ball. made me hopeful. 

Knowing bowles he will have the cbs laying off most of the year.  If we have 3rd and long plays and our cbs are hanging back 12 yards when the other team needs 8 so help me.  I do think our cbs will be good enough except for slot skirne who will get killed when matched up against a good player.

The danger area for us will be the same as every year.  TE's and rbs out of the back field.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:50 PM, drsamuel84 said:

yep I hate to be a debbie downer but the lack of a pass rush is still very concerning to me 

well yes.  but the thing is the more they can take away an offenses components the better thay can scheme to work on the others.  this is the best pair of cornerbacks for the jets since revis and cro back when rex was coach.  they should help out the pass rush game.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Knowing bowles he will have the cbs laying off most of the year.  If we have 3rd and long plays and our cbs are hanging back 12 yards when the other team needs 8 so help me.  I do think our cbs will be good enough except for slot skirne who will get killed when matched up against a good player.

The danger area for us will be the same as every year.  TE's and rbs out of the back field.

That’s exactly what Bowles and Rogers will probably do. He was number 1 in press man so the defense should be almost built around him playing press man. But we all know what we r gonna see - Johnson playing off and giving up completion after completion. 

Archived