Joel Klatt on Josh Rosen

Untouchable

He makes some damn good points about him contradicting himself every other sentence in that ESPN article.

No doubting Rosen’s natural talent but the guy definitely comes off as some douchebag rich kid who could end up being despised in an NFL locker room.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Lol... How will good guys like Robbie Anderson ever get along with Rosen?

Newsflash! As long as Rosen throws the ball to them, the WRs will love him. And as long as he leads the Jets to scores, all of his teammates will love him.

Maybe, but the guy definitely comes off as a pompous, yuppie dickhole and the concerns about his dedication to football are legitimate.

As much as I’ve questioned Mayfield, you sure as hell can’t question his commitment or that his teammates would run through brick walls for him because they know he’d do the same for them.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe, but the guy definitely comes off as a pompous, yuppie dickhole and the concerns about his dedication to football are legitimate.

And Tommy cheats and Ben is a rapist.  Marino was a pothead and Bradshaw by all accounts was dumb as a box of rocks.  

Compared to all that, pompous yuppie dickhead (which describes Mayfield perfectly as well) doesn't really give me any pause.

Dedication to football?  Fair question.  I don't think we can assume the answer based on what we know but yes, it's fair to ask.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

As much as I’ve questioned Mayfield, you sure as hell can’t question his commitment or that his teammates would run through brick walls for him because they know he’d do the same for them.

Rosen wouldn't be as good as he is if he wasn't committed to his craft.  I don't get the commitment issues when every scout says his footwork, throwing motion, etc is pro ready and the best package from a rookie standpoint in years.  You don't get that good at something without committing and loving your craft.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Compared to all that, pompous yuppie dickhead (which describes Mayfield perfectly as well) doesn't really give me any pause.

I don’t buy that

Mayfield was a walk-on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

Kid scrapped and clawed for everything.

Compare that to Rosen who was the #1 recruit in the nation coming out of HS and was already being anointed “The Rosen One” before he even stepped foot on UCLA’s campus.

Mayfield can come off as an arrogant dick on the field because he carries a gigantic chip on his shoulder and is hyper competitive.

Rosen would probably be an unlikable douchebag regardless of which path in life he chose.  

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

PROS

-accuracy

-size

-footwork

-intelligence

CONS

-says things sometimes

You left out the torn labrum and the 2 concussions sustained within, what, a 2-3 month period? He didn’t finish the season the last two years in a row.

No one is denying his talent, just like no one should deny that he has a worrisome injury history and a tendency to rub a sh*tload of people the wrong way.

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You left out the torn labrum and the 2 concussions sustained within, what, a 2-3 month period? He didn’t finish the season the last two years in a row.

No one is denying his talent, just like no one should deny that he has a worrisome injury history and a tendency to rub a sh*tload of people the wrong way.

I keep having to point this out, but Mayfield has had 2 concussions and a serious shoulder injury in college.  Do they count less because you like his moxie?  

Just now, nycdan said:

I keep having to point this out, but Mayfield has had 2 concussions and a serious shoulder injury in college.  Do they count less because you like his moxie?  

Moxie means next to nothing to me. Tebow was chock full of the sh*t and it did nothing for him at the end of the day.

Mayfield also has a compact build while Rosen looks like a beanstalk.

I’m not saying that the Jets should definitely pass on Rosen at #3 if he’s there, but there are definite concerns.

At the end of the day, IMO Macc should’ve said to hell with the 1st rounder next year and made the move up to #1 to take Darnold who I still say is hands down the best prospect among these guys.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

the spin here is that rosen is more likely to walk away from the nfl if he gets hurt.

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And the fact that his teams never really did anything with him as a QB. Again, I like Rosen a lot (more than Mayfield and Allen), but his injury history and lack of success bother me more than his opinions. Aaron Rodgers never won a national title, but he did go 10-1 in his junior year. 

UCLA did not have all world talent so I am not totally faulting him but it's nice to see kids like Mayfield/Darnold lead teams to great things (Darnold's run as a baby in 2016 was remarkable and we all know about Mayfield success)

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Moxie means next to nothing to me. Tebow was chock full of the sh*t and it did nothing for him at the end of the day.

Mayfield also has a compact build while Rosen looks like a beanstalk.

I’m not saying that the Jets should definitely pass on Rosen at #3 if he’s there, but there are definite concerns.

At the end of the day, IMO Macc should’ve said to hell with the 1st rounder next year and made the move up to #1 to take Darnold who I still say is hands down the best prospect among these guys.

I'm not keen on burning another first rounder but if Darnold falls to 3 and we take Mayfield, I'm going to be needing a new TV.  Especially if BUF then trades up and gets him right behind us.

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Then another 90 or so days of complaining about whoever we take until the kid actually takes a snap in training camp where every int can be hyper-analyzed. 

Every throw can be charted. 

If he gets drafted by the Jets he'll be making less than the JAG center snapping him the ball.  He may be a rich kid in the cafeteria at UCLA but in an NFL locker room he'll be middle class until he EARNS his big pay day in 4 years.

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They count less because the week after his (according to you) "serious shoulder injury"  he threw for 410 yards, and 2 TD against Kansas State.  Maybe it wasn't so serious.  Rosen didn't play the rest of the season after his shoulder injury

He had 2 mild concussions in 2015 .  He missed exactly 1./2 game.  No recurrences in 2 1/2 years

Rosen had a concussion last year that cost him the following game,  Later in the season he had a severe concussion, that a month later he still couldn't get clearance from the doc's to play in a Bowl game, which would have been his final NCAA game.

I don't hate Rosen at all, and if the Jets take him I'd be quite happy, but comparing the injury history is kind of silly no?  Rosen hasn't finished a season in 2 years. That's a major concern

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He makes some damn good points about him contradicting himself every other sentence in that ESPN article.

No doubting Rosen’s natural talent but the guy definitely comes off as some douchebag rich kid who could end up being despised in an NFL locker room.

News flash 

NFL players are all rich kids ?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

While I admit that the rumors of his UCLA teammates not liking him bother me a little, I think a lot of the personality stuff is overblown. 

My biggest concern with Rosen is still the concussions. 

What also concerns me some is what Mora said about him.  He didn't exactly throw him under the bus, but it isn't exactly what you would think a NCAA HC would say about a top prospect in the draft he coached.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

What also concerns me some is what Mora said about him.  He didn't exactly throw him under the bus, but it isn't exactly what you would think a NCAA HC would say about a top prospect in the draft he coached.

Agree, although the argument could be made that he was trying to protect him from Cleveland. 

Agreed. I've been saying it for months now.  I can easily see Rosen 2-3 years down the road saying f**k it. I don't need this sh*t and walking away from the NFL. Seems to have too much other sh*t going on to be focused, like he should, on football.  I watched Draft Day a few weeks ago, I wonder how many of  Rosen's teammates went to his birthday party ?

We can love Rosen but we cant pretend like this isnt pretty telling. These guys didnt even talk about his comments towards Cleveland back in December saying: "I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.". It's to the point where we can view 100 mock drafts and 99 out of 100 will not have Rosen mocked #1 or #4 to Cleveland. Rosen literally dismissed a football team. Sure, he wouldnt have been the first to do it, but this certainly adds to the rest of what seems to be Josh Rosen. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Well said.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Agree, although the argument could be made that he was trying to protect him from Cleveland. 

BS . All the other teams heard what he said too so all it did was cause teams to look closer at the kid. Mora , I think, was just being honest. If you listen to all the stupid rumours and mocks NO ONE has Rosen going to Cleveland. Allen yes, Darnold Yes even saw Mayfield in one mock. Everyone BUT Rosen. Same with the Giants at #2 . If Darnold's gone they'll take a non QB according to rumours.

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

BS . All the other teams heard what he said too so all it did was cause teams to look closer at the kid. Mora , I think, was just being honest. If you listen to all the stupid rumours and mocks NO ONE has Rosen going to Cleveland. Allen yes, Darnold Yes even saw Mayfield in one mock. Everyone BUT Rosen. Same with the Giants at #2 . If Darnold's gone they'll take a non QB according to rumours.

Tbh, I agree with you. 

What continues to fascinate me is how much fans on message boards like this one like Rosen WAY more than a lot of NFL guys seem to. The Bills boards are just as hot for Rosen as most of us seem to be, but a lot of guys who are in and around the league seem lukewarm on him. It's very interesting. 

Archived