Joel Klatt on Josh Rosen

Untouchable

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What continues to fascinate me is how much fans on message boards like this one like Rosen WAY more than a lot of NFL guys seem to. The Bills boards are just as hot for Rosen as most of us seem to be, but a lot of guys who are in and around the league seem lukewarm on him. It's very interesting. 

there are plenty of analysts who have rosen as the top qb in the draft.  there are also analysts who have no issues with his character or drive.  

i can't help but think a lot of the anti-rosen crap is promulgated by teams hoping the jets don't pick him so they have a crack at him.

Last week or two, we saw an interview with him one on one, and everyone here loved him and his attitude, he answered perfectly all the criticism against him,  and we  were dying to draft him. Now, because these ex athlete talking heads are over  analyzing and splitting hairs over some other interview we never heard, suddenly he's no good. 

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there are plenty of analysts who have rosen as the top qb in the draft.  there are also analysts who have no issues with his character or drive.  

i can't help but think a lot of the anti-rosen crap is promulgated by teams hoping the jets don't pick him so they have a crack at him.

Hmm. Yeah, I've seen some. It just seems like there is a very strong anti-Rosen crowd . . . Much stronger than I ever would have imagined. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Hmm. Yeah, I've seen some. It just seems like there is a very strong anti-Rosen crowd . . . Much stronger than I ever would have imagined. 

there's a big anti crowd for each qb.  back in january we all thought it was a foregone conclusion the browns were getting darnold and that he was unquestionably the top qb in the class.  fast forward to today, and you have varying opinions on this, including that darnold should sit in the nfl initially and work on his mechanics.  

i go back to mora's comments, he knows him very well and his daughter is allegedly good friends with him.  you take rosen, you better have the right coaches in place to challenge him or else you're going to regret it.  he's an intellectual qb who speaks his mind, and i can see the fallout if rosen starts questioning bowles' decisions at the end of games to the media.  how would rosen feel about punting from midfield, down 10 with 4 minutes left?  you think he's going to agree with this?

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes by all means this happens a lot just prior to the draft and for the exact reason you state. We'll all know what's BS and what's not in 2 weeks.

12 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Last week or two, we saw an interview with him one on one, and everyone here loved him and his attitude, he answered perfectly all the criticism against him,  and we  were dying to draft him. Now, because these ex athlete talking heads are over  analyzing and splitting hairs over some other interview we never heard, suddenly he's no good. 

Annnnnnnd we have 2 weeks to go still 

By the time draft day gets here we will hate all the QBs 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He makes some damn good points about him contradicting himself every other sentence in that ESPN article.

No doubting Rosen’s natural talent but the guy definitely comes off as some douchebag rich kid who could end up being despised in an NFL locker room.

Chris Carter on Josh Rosen

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We can love Rosen but we cant pretend like this isnt pretty telling. These guys didnt even talk about his comments towards Cleveland back in December saying: "I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.". It's to the point where we can view 100 mock drafts and 99 out of 100 will not have Rosen mocked #1 or #4 to Cleveland. Rosen literally dismissed a football team. Sure, he wouldnt have been the first to do it, but this certainly adds to the rest of what seems to be Josh Rosen. 

My impression was that Cleveland had its act together, and then I read that anonymous post from yesterday that appeared to indicated that it was a Gong Show.   So maybe trying to avoid getting picked by Cleveland was not a bad idea.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

My impression was that Cleveland had its act together, and then I read that anonymous post from yesterday that appeared to indicated that it was a Gong Show.   So maybe trying to avoid getting picked by Cleveland was not a bad idea.  

Trying your best to avoid Cleveland, and publicly doing it are two different things. I remember when this broke and for a month Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold had to constantly state that they didnt mind going to Cleveland because Rosen made it such a toxic topic. 

He could have easily kept the public responses very general while privately speaking to his agent to help make sure he didnt get drafted by them. He made it a public spectacle. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why do I have to look at Shannon Sharpe and Chris Carter?  Two guys with faces for radio.  Carter always looks like he is about to burst into tears.

Open the video in youtube then go back to the Jetnation Forum Tab. Now you can listen while surfing Jetnation without watching their faces! :-) 

Well Gil Brandt said he had no reservation at all on Josh Rosen.  And that guy has seen everything over the past 50 years.

I’ll talk his word over some douchebag blow hard non-expert on the radio that no one has ever heard before today.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there's a big anti crowd for each qb.  back in january we all thought it was a foregone conclusion the browns were getting darnold and that he was unquestionably the top qb in the class.  fast forward to today, and you have varying opinions on this, including that darnold should sit in the nfl initially and work on his mechanics.  

i go back to mora's comments, he knows him very well and his daughter is allegedly good friends with him.  you take rosen, you better have the right coaches in place to challenge him or else you're going to regret it.  he's an intellectual qb who speaks his mind, and i can see the fallout if rosen starts questioning bowles' decisions at the end of games to the media.  how would rosen feel about punting from midfield, down 10 with 4 minutes left?  you think he's going to agree with this?

Bowles isn't an issue to me. If he doesn't have a good season, he's gone and the young QB gets a whole new system. (Look at what happend with Jeff Fisher and Goff, for example). We need to pick the guy who we think is going to be the best QB in the long run. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Bowles isn't an issue to me. If he doesn't have a good season, he's gone and the young QB gets a whole new system. (Look at what happend with Jeff Fisher and Goff, for example). We need to pick the guy who we think is going to be the best QB in the long run. 

true but i think rosen and bowles is a terrible match. 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He makes some damn good points about him contradicting himself every other sentence in that ESPN article.

No doubting Rosen’s natural talent but the guy definitely comes off as some douchebag rich kid who could end up being despised in an NFL locker room.

So what... Feelings? It's work. They don't have to like Rosen they simply have to respect his work on the field. I'll take a hard working talented S.O.B. as a coworker any day and twice on Sunday as opposed to an incompetent nice person. Cut those who can't get over themselves during the hours of work. Anyone here friends with all their coworkers? I sure as hell am not...

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Probably. But whoever we draft is ahead of Bowles on the organization's "depth chart." A conflict with any of them means Bowles is gone. At worst, that's one wasted season. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Probably. But whoever we draft is ahead of Bowles on the organization's "depth chart." A conflict with any of them means Bowles is gone. At worst, that's one wasted season. 

if there is a wasted season, it will be because bowles refuses to play the rookie until chris johnson steps in and tells bowles to do it, and then the place is a big rumor of when bowles gets the axe.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I can't think of a QB under 35 years old that would be a "good match" with Bowles.

Maybe the answer is to remove Bowles.

Just now, Dcat said:

I can't think of a QB under 35 years old that would be a "good match" with Bowles.

but of all the qbs the jets could end up with, rosen seems the worst fit with him.  

"josh, why did you punt down 10 with 3 minutes left at the 49 yard line when it was 4th and 6?"

"it makes no sense to me either, i have no idea why any coach would do this."

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if there is a wasted season, it will be because bowles refuses to play the rookie until chris johnson steps in and tells bowles to do it, and then the place is a big rumor of when bowles gets the axe.  

I don't think Bowles will do that this season. Not unless Teddy turns out to be healthy and very productive (in which case, no one is going to argue with him). 

I blame Bowles for a lot of things, but refusing to play Petty/Hack is not one of them. Those guys had no business starting an NFL game. 

If I'm wrong, he will be gone very quickly. 

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Open the video in youtube then go back to the Jetnation Forum Tab. Now you can listen while surfing Jetnation without watching their faces! :-) 

Thanks.  Not at work. Maybe on my commute home. 

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Neither can Bowles. 

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Just one wasted season.  1. Competitive rebuild 2. Wasted season 3. Real rebuild  4. Wasted season.   Fits the MO of this front office. 

BIT: "please God don't let them take this dbag Josh Rosen. I just couldn't stand listening to two more words come out of his stupid face"  

GOD "Sure prayer granted. Angels, let him fall to... how about 23 and New England Patriots, Make sure Bit is tortured for another 20 years.  Peace out yall" 

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Calling Rosen and “intellectual QB” is a compliment.  Basically means he is able to process and learn everything he can from a coaching staff.  And if the staff doesn’t put forth the effort to make sure that the offense is going to be successful, they should get called out for it.

Brady, Brees, Manning, they would all do the same thing.  

But we have Todd Bowles who just fired his OC because we passed the ball too much.

The REAL issue is Rosen will call out his coaches to their face.  Based on previous history, Mayfield will tell his Dad and his Dad will go to Cimini and Manish.

Just now, Pcola said:

The REAL issue is Rosen will call out his coaches to their face.  Based on previous history, Mayfield will tell his Dad and his Dad will go to Cimini and Manish.

somewhere along the way Jets fans seemed to have lost sight of the fact that Woody Johnson would loathe this dude

its way bigger than Todd Bowles 

These interviews were supposed to help his stock have hurt it.

hes going to fall out of the top 3 the only question now is how far will he drop. This could be Aaron Rodgers all over again 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

somewhere along the way Jets fans seemed to have lost sight of the fact that Woody Johnson would loathe this dude

its way bigger than Todd Bowles 

These interviews were supposed to help his stock have hurt it.

Well this is bigger than Woody Johnson.  He has an empty stadium.  If he screws this pick up by taking a QB (Mayfield) that is going to clash with the CS as bad or worse than Roaen, or Allen, who is absolutely no where near a 1st round talent, chances are stadium will remain empty.  

Even if they take Mayfield and he is good, he better be out perform Josh Rosen, especially if Rosen goes to the Bills.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

They count less because the week after his (according to you) "serious shoulder injury"  he threw for 410 yards, and 2 TD against Kansas State.  Maybe it wasn't so serious.  Rosen didn't play the rest of the season after his shoulder injury

He had 2 mild concussions in 2015 .  He missed exactly 1./2 game.  No recurrences in 2 1/2 years

Rosen had a concussion last year that cost him the following game,  Later in the season he had a severe concussion, that a month later he still couldn't get clearance from the doc's to play in a Bowl game, which would have been his final NCAA game.

I don't hate Rosen at all, and if the Jets take him I'd be quite happy, but comparing the injury history is kind of silly no?  Rosen hasn't finished a season in 2 years. That's a major concern

Didn't know he had that game the week after the injury.  Learn something new every day.  Points for Mayfield for that one.

Just now, Pcola said:

Well this is bigger than Woody Johnson.  He has an empty stadium.  

if he screws it up... nothing happens

the Jets are the 9th most valuable franchise, worth $2.7 Billion according to Forbes 2017 rankings

buying the team for $635 million in the year 2000 was the greatest financial decision Woody has ever made or will ever make

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Times sure are good when all there is to complain about an elite thrower is that his parents are intelligent and have money. I remember when people used to complain about prospects being, you know, bad at football. 

Its mostly because a lack of real complaints about Rosen and the fact some have a serious case of the bromance and drafting Rosen would lead to their small sized hunk going to another team leading to </3

Is Rosen really as accurate as he is perceived?  I am sure the Bill Barnwell piece has been referenced here, but the breakdown was eye opening for me

Rosen is incredibly accurate from 4 yards or closer.  72%.  However when you keep moving down the field, his accuracy is strikingly similar to Josh Allen.  Between 5-14 yards(ball in air) Allen Completes 60.3%, Rosen 59.3%.  15+ Allen 43.7, Rosen 44.2%

Now no data set tells an entire story, but Barnwell's article was the most in depth I've seen. I just found it extremely interesting. Rosen is widely considered surgical and Allen a mess.  

I think it goes to show that the most important thing is let QBs do what they at best at.  Allen coming to a WC offense like the Jets would probably be a disaster.  Rosen on the other hand, probably a very good fit.  

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe, but the guy definitely comes off as a pompous, yuppie dickhole and the concerns about his dedication to football are legitimate.

As much as I’ve questioned Mayfield, you sure as hell can’t question his commitment or that his teammates would run through brick walls for him because they know he’d do the same for them.

Riddle me this. Brady is a pompous Uber Rich yuppie dickhole but he somehow remains dedicated. And oh yeah, every top 10 QB is rich and they somehow manage to stay dedicated. How's that? 

How does LeBron, Bryce Harper, and Sidney Crosby do it? They are all mega rich, and somehow they remain dedicated.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of a rich kid like Rosen's dedication, since he's already demonstrated dedication while he has money, than I am of a poor kid staying dedicated after he finally gets some money.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Maybe, but the guy definitely comes off as a pompous, yuppie dickhole and the concerns about his dedication to football are legitimate.

As much as I’ve questioned Mayfield, you sure as hell can’t question his commitment or that his teammates would run through brick walls for him because they know he’d do the same for them.

Yeah, Mayfield is definitely not a dick. ;)  We would be better off with Rosen - he is more talented. Basically Rosen is Aaron Rodgers - personality wise and projection as a player. Would you stay away from AROD because he was outspoken as a college kid? I think not - almost everyone did and he's been making people pay ever since.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Riddle me this. Brady is a pompous Uber Rich yuppie dickhole but he somehow remains dedicated. And oh yeah, every top 10 QB is rich and they somehow manage to stay dedicated. How's that? 

How does LeBron, Bryce Harper, and Sidney Crosby do it? They are all mega rich, and somehow they remain dedicated.

I'm more comfortable with the idea of a rich kid like Rosen's dedication, since he's already demonstrated dedication while he has money, than I am of a poor kid staying dedicated after he finally gets some money.

well put - how many guys have we signed to big money only to have their desire go away.

Archived