Joel Klatt on Josh Rosen

Untouchable

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skip and Shannon are there to make controversy to try to get ratings.  I love the way those idiots used Barry Sanders as an example of another player who was great but didn't love the game (or whatever the wording was).  Barry Sanders is a HOFer.  If Rosen were the QB equivalent of Barry Sanders, where do I sign?!

1 hour ago, SMC said:

It will be depressing watching Rosen destroy the Jets as an opponent year-in-year out after they pass on him for a Hobbit

If we take Mayfield over Rosen I will be pretty bummed out by that.  I'll still root for Mayfield and hope that I'll be wrong about him but I won't be a happy camper.  I know a lot of people on here love Mayfield but I think they're falling in love with college football stats of a player with a great OL and scouts say he had a lot of wide open WRs.   We will see.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We can love Rosen but we cant pretend like this isnt pretty telling. These guys didnt even talk about his comments towards Cleveland back in December saying: "I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.". It's to the point where we can view 100 mock drafts and 99 out of 100 will not have Rosen mocked #1 or #4 to Cleveland. Rosen literally dismissed a football team. Sure, he wouldnt have been the first to do it, but this certainly adds to the rest of what seems to be Josh Rosen. 

Baloney...

I hope Josh Rosen disses the first two teams and right into our lap at pick 3.

Personally, I think guys like Brady would also have been called/included as millennial douches if they grew up today.  It's how today's kids are being raised and taught at home and at school.

If Rosen's 'flaw' is he's an intelligent kid that comes off as arrogant, so be it.  At least he ain't needing to 'correct his footwork' to 'be more accurate'.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Skip and Shannon are there to make controversy to try to get ratings.  I love the way those idiots used Barry Sanders as an example of another player who was great but didn't love the game (or whatever the wording was).  Barry Sanders is a HOFer.  If Rosen were the QB equivalent of Barry Sanders, where do I sign?!

Why would that make them idiots? Actually, it shows that they didnt find an opportunity to compare Rosen to a guy like Chris Borland who retired after his rookie season but instead compared him to a HOF RB. The bottomline is that an investment is an investment and when you're taking a QB at #3 you expect him to be here for the longhaul. If you have a choice of taking a guy like that who could leave in a few years or another one who wants to play until he' Tom Brady's age then that's something that should be considered if it's a legit possibility. 

They could have easily compared him to Chris Borland but didnt. 

Just now, greenwave81 said:

Baloney...

I hope Josh Rosen disses the first two teams and right into our lap at pick 3.

Personally, I think guys like Brady would also have been called/included as millennial douches if they grew up today.  It's how today's kids are being raised and taught at home and at school.

If Rosen's 'flaw' is he's an intelligent kid that comes off as arrogant, so be it.  At least he ain't needing to 'correct his footwork' to 'be more accurate'.

You think Brady would have...but he wasnt. And his flaw isnt that he's intelligent, he's flaw seems to be that he's a douche. 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we take Mayfield over Rosen I will be pretty bummed out by that.  I'll still root for Mayfield and hope that I'll be wrong about him but I won't be a happy camper.  I know a lot of people on here love Mayfield but I think they're falling in love with college football stats of a player with a great OL and scouts say he had a lot of wide open WRs.   We will see.

Look at Mayfield's 'highlight' reel footage...most of his receivers have no one within 3 yds of them.  The OL, besides being dominant for the Big12,  play that spread scheme lining up more than a yd apart and slide in designed plays to open passing lanes for Mayfield.  Not sure that works in the NFL either.

I want the most NFL ready QB, and if Rosen is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Why would that make them idiots? Actually, it shows that they didnt find an opportunity to compare Rosen to a guy like Chris Borland who retired after his rookie season but instead compared him to a HOF RB. The bottomline is that an investment is an investment and when you're taking a QB at #3 you expect him to be here for the longhaul. If you have a choice of taking a guy like that who could leave in a few years or another one who wants to play until he' Tom Brady's age then that's something that should be considered if it's a legit possibility. 

They could have easily compared him to Chris Borland but didnt. 

Mayfield will be a rich guy once he gets drafted.  What makes you think he'll be more likely to retire because he's rich than Rosen?

Also I say they're idiots because they're acting as if picking Barry Sanders was a mistake (because he didn't love football or something like that).  He's one of the greatest players of all time and he had a 10 year career.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You think Brady would have...but he wasnt. And his flaw isnt that he's intelligent, he's flaw seems to be that he's a douche. 

LMAO...and, Brady ain't a douche?  If Brady wasn't Brady, everyone would think he's a douche.

Being good, or even great, makes people accept a bunch more character flaws is ll I'm saying.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Look at Mayfield's 'highlight' reel footage...most of his receivers have no one within 3 yds of them.  The OL, besides being dominant for the Big12,  play that spread scheme lining up more than a yd apart and slide in designed plays to open passing lanes for Mayfield.  Not sure that works in the NFL either.

I want the most NFL ready QB, and if Rosen is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I'm with you.  I still would prefer Darnold if I had my choice.  And I'd be fine if we take Allen over Rosen should that opportunity arise.  But Mayfield over Rosen I will not be happy about.

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

"Seasons" are currently hindsight. Guys were getting on him as a rookie. Be serious. 

Geno played 2 seasons with the Jets, his second season all of his major stats went up and he cut his INT's damn near in half. Geno played 2 games after that. 

You making it seem like the dude played 4 or 5 years. He was getting the business during his rookie season and even more of it his 2nd year. That was just 30 games. 

Dont make my comment out to be like I dont know Jets fans. 

Is that supposed to be a good thing? lol  

Anyway. I’m not worrying about or making a determination on something that hasn’t even happened and looking at it from a negative standpoint. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mayfield will be a rich guy once he gets drafted.  What makes you think he'll be more likely to retire because he's rich than Rosen?

Also I say they're idiots because they're acting as if picking Barry Sanders was a mistake (because he didn't love football or something like that).  He's one of the greatest players of all time and he had a 10 year career.

Sanders left at the top of his career an it was sudden and unexpected. Megatron also retired after just 9 seasons an at the top of his game, but it was already out there that he had injury concerns and decided to retire. Megatron's wasnt sudden or surprising. We're talking about Rosen, a rookie who isnt even officially a rookie yet this is a topic with him. 

Like I said, they could have easily compared him to Chris Borland but didnt. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Is that supposed to be a good thing? lol  

Anyway. I’m not worrying about or making a determination on something that hasn’t even happened and looking at it from a negative standpoint. 

It wasnt supposed to be anything outside of being factual. As stated, let Rosen have a Memphis or Arizona game and you'll begin to see it. 

27 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I agree with what you said, but with all the hype this class is going to get, they are forever going to be compared to each other.  So which one of these guys are going to sit back and allow the CS to hand the ball off to average RBs on 1st and 2nd down and then ask him to convert on 3rd and long?

So when people say that Rosen will clash with this CS, I say that any guy they draft is going to potentially have issues.

Not sure where this run on 1st and 2nd down is coming from but whatever. 

Sanders left at the top of his career an it was sudden and unexpected. Megatron also retired after just 9 seasons an at the top of his game, but it was already out there that he had injury concerns and decided to retire. Megatron's wasnt sudden or surprising. We're talking about Rosen, a rookie who isnt even officially a rookie yet this is a topic with him. 

Like I said, they could have easily compared him to Chris Borland but didnt. 

If teams were guaranteed to get 10 years of Josh Rosen being the QB equivalent of Barry Sanders, he'd be the 1st overall pick without ANY question.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It wasnt supposed to be anything outside of being factual. As stated, let Rosen have a Memphis or Arizona game and you'll begin to see it. 

He could go 28-30 with 5 TDs and 1 INT and people will bitch about the Incs and INT. Thats factual too. 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If teams were guaranteed to get 10 years of Josh Rosen being the QB equivalent of Barry Sanders, he'd be the 1st overall pick without ANY question.

And yet teams arent sure because it isnt guaranteed...and on top of the fact it seems like his dedication is being questioned. 

You can spin it as much as you want with Barry Sanders. 

My take: Mayfield is the consolation prize.  The target really should be the most NFL ready QB and that's Rosen.  Allen would be the booby prize IMO. And Mac would wind up long fired before he ever gets to see Allen start a game. That's why he won't draft Allen (I hope).

If it comes to Mayfield v Rosen: Rosen. Every day and twice on Sunday.  If both Darnold & Rosen gone: Mayfield.  A very expensive Consolation prize that cost us 3 2nd round picks.  

Giants seem to hold all the cards.  Either they pick Darnold, Barkley, or trade out of #2.  They will not trade until they know if Darnold is off the board.  If Browns don't pick Darnold, Giants will.  But if Browns do pick Darnold, then the Giants hold the cards to the Jets' future.  It is presumed by many that they do not want Rosen.   link to njo.com article

If general manager Dave Gettleman opts to invest the premium pick in a quarterback, people in league circles believe that the Giants have made up their mind on who to choose. 

"If [Sam] Darnold is available, they're taking Darnold," an NFL talent evaluator told NJ Advance Media. "They don't like [Josh] Rosen."

The NFL evaluator spoke to NJ Advance Media on the condition of anonymity so they could speak freely about other teams and players.

If the Browns take Darnold, the Giants may want Barkley that bad and stay put giving Mac a Rosen-Mayfield-Allen decision. I will be an extremely unhappy Jets fan if Mac passes on Rosen and I hope there is no meddling from Woody, via his brother, because of the F*ck Tr*mp cap. 

Or Giants may trade to a team who wants one of the QBs, hopefully Allen, who I do not want at all. IMO, worst possibility is Giants trade to a team who wants Rosen.  

Best scenario is for Cleveland to take Allen.  Nothing will change about any of that between now and the draft.  It's a long wait.  Maybe I need to do another mock to keep me busy.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

sh*t, if you could guarantee that he’d play for 10 years, period...

And yet teams arent sure because it isnt guaranteed...and on top of the fact it seems like his dedication is being questioned. 

You can spin it as much as you want with Barry Sanders. 

Are you not paying attention?  Skip and Shannon were talking about Barry Sanders as if "bad pick because he didn't love football".  In other words, they ALREADY KNOW what Barry Sanders did in his career and yet STILL made that idiotic point about him.  

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He could go 28-30 with 5 TDs and 1 INT and people will bitch about the 2 Incs and 1 INT. That factual too. 

Or you can be a rookie, play like a rookie then in your 2nd season have Idzik dismantle the team...then proceed to watch an entire fanbase remember it as you being the problem. 

Like I said, he played in 30 games with zero help from the front office or coaching staff, yet fans were happy as **** that he was punched in the face. 

These are the facts. We can pretend like this couldnt happen....but if that's the case then you havent been around long enough. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Are you not paying attention?  Skip and Shannon were talking about Barry Sanders as if "bad pick because he didn't love football".  In other words, they ALREADY KNOW what Barry Sanders did in his career and yet STILL made that idiotic point about him.  

Are you not paying attention? The fact that it was sudden, unexpected is what they're actually talking about. You would take it because you're a Jets fan and you're just used to sh*t anyway.....but as a GM, a front office, a coaching staff their view on it is different from a fan that's holding on to the Barry Sanders quote because he's a HOF and it's useful because he played 10 years, yet refuse to acknowledge the Chris Borland aspect that they could have used because that could also be part of the equation when trying to evaluate a player and their level of dedication. 

Are you not paying attention? The fact that it was sudden, unexpected is what they're actually talking about. You would take it because you're a Jets fan and you're just used to sh*t anyway.....but as a GM, a front office, a coaching staff their view on it is different from a fan that's holding on to the Barry Sanders quote because he's a HOF and it's useful because he played 10 years, yet refuse to acknowledge the Chris Borland aspect that they could have used because that could also be part of the equation when trying to evaluate a player and their level of dedication. 

I said using Barry Sanders as a comparison was idiotic because that's exactly what it is.  You're defending their point because it was "sudden" and "unexpected".  But this was after a 10 YEAR HALL OF FAME CAREER!  Geez!

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I said using Barry Sanders as a comparison was idiotic because that's exactly what it is.  You're defending their point because it was "sudden" and "unexpected".  But this was after a 10 YEAR HALL OF FAME CAREER!  Geez!

If they picked a guy who was terrific after like 2-3 seasons and then retired then it would be an example they could point to.  But using Barry Sanders as the comparison in a negative way?!  It doesn't get much more idiotic than that.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It wasnt idiotic because what they're referring to you're purposely missing or dismissing because you'd immediately sign up for the Barry Sanders version of a QB....missing or dismissing the entire point here is that Rosen could possibly and suddenly hang it up anywhere from year one to year 10 because as stated earlier...there is no guarantee. 

The fact that this is even a thing is a problem. Or you can continue to turn this into a Barry Sanders HOF career and completely miss or dismiss the point that was actually being made....kinda like the Chris Borland statement

It wasnt idiotic because what they're referring to you're purposely missing or dismissing because you'd immediately sign up for the Barry Sanders version of a QB....missing or dismissing the entire point here is that Rosen could possibly and suddenly hang it up anywhere from year one to year 10 because as stated earlier...there is no guarantee. 

The fact that this is even a thing is a problem. Or you can continue to turn this into a Barry Sanders HOF career and completely miss or dismiss the point that was actually being made....kinda like the Chris Borland statement

Barry Sanders didn't retire "anywhere from year one to year 10".  He retired after 10 years.  Again, it was an idiotic comparison (that you continue to defend).  I'm done with this convo.

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Barry Sanders didn't retire "anywhere from year one to year 10".  He retired after 10 years.  Again, it was an idiotic comparison (that you continue to defend).  I'm done with this convo.

That didnt matter, what matters was the fact that the retirement was sudden and unexpected, which is what they were establishing. 

You are done with this convo. 

57 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Not sure where this run on 1st and 2nd down is coming from but whatever. 

Well we have an organizational philosophy where we want to have a dominate running game yet we have a bunch of Jags on the OL and in our RB depth chart all the while never utilizing a quality draft pick on any of these positions.

Yes, Bowles would love love to run the ball on first and second down.  Everyone loves Bates right now.  How much will Bowles still love him after a game where McCown has to throw the ball 35 times?

Bowles needs to go work for Chucks in Oak.  It’s time to move our offense to 2018.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Since we’re posting negative videos about every qb not named Mayfield

Its getting really hard to watch Shannon Sharp...he literally cant go a segment without mentioning Colin Kaepernick being out of football. I also think the Manzel comp to Mayfield is dumb and lazy. Manzel just admitted to not watching film, or spending time at the facility!! Baker is the opposite from all accounts.

that all being said, i still think Baker has the least upside of the 4 guys...prob of all 5.

Not sure how comparing Manziel and Mayfield is supposedly “lazy”

—same offensive system

—same style of playing the position

—same attitude

—almost the exact same height

—both had significant alcohol related incidents in college

Yet somehow(bringing back to topic because this is Josh Rosen-bashing thread) it’s NOT lazy to say Rosen will be quitting the nfl in 2 years because his dad is a doctor and a couple articles on the net

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

I keep having to point this out, but Mayfield has had 2 concussions and a serious shoulder injury in college.  Do they count less because you like his moxie?  

Somehow the Mayfield concussions don’t matter but anything that ever happened to Rosen does

14 hours ago, pointman said:

Times sure are good when all there is to complain about an elite thrower is that his parents are intelligent and have money. I remember when people used to complain about prospects being, you know, bad at football. 

His daddy is a doctor first injury he get he’s quitting— Calvin Johnson’s mother is a doctor and he played for a long time in the nfl

Archived