Why is Revis doing this?

prime21

27 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I don't hate him, I just don't like him. His lack of effort was got me. He may get in the Hall but he's not first ballot.

Give me a Wayne Chrebet, Victor Green, Joe Klecko, any day over a Revis.

Maybe he did just break down. Not like he went somewhere after and played better ala Randy Moss. The guy got old. And got paid on the way out. Blame the FO for failing to spot the decline, not the player for saying "ok sure I'll take 36M guaranteed I guess."

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Can’t blame Revis for that. Revis never turn down more money. 

No but the treatment of the media/fans whomever to guys who SUCCEED here, may very well be a factor in at least two FAs walking away from more cash this very off season to play here. Of course losing perennially and usually in embarrassing fashion sure don't help!

58 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that damn guy, he was only the best player to ever play for this franchise and one of the best corners of all time.  Damn him for wanting to actually get paid what he was worth!

THE best and no one comes close.  No Jet has ever played their position at a hi9gher level than Revis but Jet fans bash him and praise Brett favre.  It's why we don't deserve to win.

Fans don't get paid to root for teams. It's easy to "be loyal" to a team when there's no better offer out there. Can't blame Revis or any player for realizing that if you're gonna play for a loser you might as well get paid like a winner. Players should chase the money. Hell, I wish they all did. We'd have Kirk Cousins and Alshon Jeffrey.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I guess if your boss offered to pay you more than you were worth you'd decline out of "loyalty," "fairness," or some other implausible virtue.

The vitriol against a historical-best player is SOJF.

The guy was a mercinary that happened to be on the Jets at the start of his career.  I have no problem whatsoever in trying to make the most money you can - but you give something up when you take that approach.

No one is arguing he didn't have a few great years on the Jets - No question, he did.  

just that he's not a "JET" --- and, in my eyes, he's not.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

The guy was a mercinary that happened to be on the Jets at the start of his career.  I have no problem whatsoever is trying to make the most money you can - but you give something up when you take that approach.

No one is arguing he didn't have a few great years on the Jets - No question, he did.  

just that he's not a "JET" --- and, in my eyes, he's not.

There is a wide gap between your view (I get it) and abject hatred!

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

There is a wide gap between your view (I get it) and abject hatred!

Fair enough -

Yes, definitely not hatred for me - I think it's more of lacking adoration. 

I don't want the guy's number retired or to have a Revis return day or his photo anywhere near Klecko's or Namath's on the walls in the stadium etc.

In my eyes, he didn't earn that right.    

35 minutes ago, GATA said:

Things get buried with time no need to hold a grudge against him. At the end of the day business is business and he had to cater to his career. He got a chip for it and solidified being a HoF. 

I’m still a Revis Fan 

Thank you the man is a Jet and one has to thank him for saying this when you look at how the “Two Bills “ reacted when the Jets name were brought up.  

Older HOF players in the NFL are practically homeless and folks are begrudging these guys making money in a multi billion dollar business. 

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

No but the treatment of the media/fans whomever to guys who SUCCEED here, may very well be a factor in at least two FAs walking away from more cash this very off season to play here. Of course losing perennially and usually in embarrassing fashion sure don't help!

I remember Revis succeeding with the Pats. I must have missed it when it happen here. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you the man is a Jet and one has to thank him for saying this when you look at how the “Two Bills “ reacted when the Jets name were brought up.  

Older HOF players in the NFL are practically homeless and folks are begrudging these guys making money in a multi billion dollar business. 

I’m not sure anyone begrudges Revis for making money. They may. Personally I would have like to give him even more money if the guy showed up in shape ready to play. That’s my only issue with him. Later in his career he was a slouch. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I remember Revis succeeding with the Pats. I must have missed it when it happen here. 

If Revis played for free we weren't winning a SB with the QBs we trotted out there. So no harm no foul, at worst.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

He is going to be the 5th CB for the Jets Super Bowl run this year. I like it.

That could solve the TE coverage issues, if he was serious and would play on incentives/minimum I would love to have him back - is he following Mayfield or Rosen on twitter?

But this is more likely the retirement tour and if he makes the HOF it is because of his play on the field as a Jet (before the injury), he had 3 decent years after that (1 for Tampa, 1 in NE and 1 back home) he was a very good player but not a HOF player after he was traded

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I’m not sure anyone begrudges Revis for making money. They may. Personally I would have like to give him even more money if the guy showed up in shape ready to play. That’s my only issue with him. Later in his career he was a slouch. 

You are right. In the end Revis was not willing to put in the effort to be great and that is more than a fair criticism of him. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I just can't conisider anyone a Jet when, still in his prime (that's the key here), he won a superbowl with a division rival.

Again, he has every right to make the most money he can - but you give up something when you take his approach.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Maybe he did just break down. Not like he went somewhere after and played better ala Randy Moss. The guy got old. And got paid on the way out. Blame the FO for failing to spot the decline, not the player for saying "ok sure I'll take 36M guaranteed I guess."

It's not the decline for me, we all age.

It was the lack of effort, you'd see him avoid contact, doggit it on plays make half assed arm tackles. That's not HOF. Sure it was not a good deal value wise for the Jets, but it's the blatant not giving a sh*t on QB money that irked me.

We all remember the super Revis in the first couple of years with Rex, and yes it was a master class in man coverage, but we paid for all of that, and a lot of lazy play also.

I don't begrudge the guy for trying to make as much money as he could during his career, football is a brutal sport and you never know when it will end.  What I do begrudge him for is how he completely dogged it and didn't try in his second stint with the team.  Now, we were the ones dumb enough to pay him as much as we did so we should take partial blame but he did not try at all the last few years he was here and was just here for the paycheck.  It seemed like once he got his ring with New England the motivation was just gone.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Even the few times in history where the Jets got it right and drafted and developed a HOF-calibre player... this is what he gets. I wonder why FAs are turning down more money from the Jets to play elsewhere??

I mean, sure... When you ignore the fact that he had multiple holdouts which hurt the team financially and on the field, rarely generated turnovers, left us with no choice but to trade him, won a super bowl with our biggest rival, and returned with a terribly lopsided contract dollars to effort ratio, it's easy to remember that Revis had a couple of elite seasons that amounted to back to back AFC Championship Game flops, then Revis really gets the raw deal from Jets fans.

59 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

It's not the decline for me, we all age.

It was the lack of effort, you'd see him avoid contact, doggit it on plays make half assed arm tackles. That's not HOF. Sure it was not a good deal value wise for the Jets, but it's the blatant not giving a sh*t on QB money that irked me.

We all remember the super Revis in the first couple of years with Rex, and yes it was a master class in man coverage, but we paid for all of that, and a lot of lazy play also.

I saw a guy in decline. Again, had he suddenly played well for the Chiefs, yeah I'd be pissed too. He fell off the cliff. And took a Brinks truck with him. Shame on our FO for not recognizing what Belichick clearly did: he was spent.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, sure... When you ignore the fact that he had multiple holdouts which hurt the team financially and on the field, rarely generated turnovers, left us with no choice but to trade him, won a super bowl with our biggest rival, and returned with a terribly lopsided contract dollars to effort ratio, it's easy to remember that Revis had a couple of elite seasons that amounted to back to back AFC Championship Game flops, then Revis really gets the raw deal from Jets fans.

Your mind is clearly made up. No point to even debate with someone with a concrete agenda. To be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything bad. Just observing that nothing can make you consider otherwise, so no use to engage on it.

38 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Exactly. 

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Revis played for free we weren't winning a SB with the QBs we trotted out there. So no harm no foul, at worst.

100% agreed. Yet again, I would have given him more money and would never begrudge him money. My only problem is the guy took the money and showed up out of shape. Doesn’t make me hate the guy but it does reduce my ability to get super excited about the guy as a Jet. But I’m glad you do. 

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

100% agreed. Yet again, I would have given him more money and would never begrudge him money. My only problem is the guy took the money and showed up out of shape. Doesn’t make me hate the guy but it does reduce my ability to get super excited about the guy as a Jet. But I’m glad you do. 

Oh Crusher, you're too good to put words in my mouth. Take my position as it comes, don't try to squeeze it where it isn't (like your thighs into your jeans). Never said I was super excited. Just that, in my opinion, the hate is ridiculous. He will retire as a Jet and should. Imagine the uproar around here if he retired as a Pat. "See Revis only cares about that ring! What an ingrate!" Guy has hit "can't win" status no matter what he does: by definition, all objectivity has been lost. Which, incidentally, is EXACTLY why people are so mad: the FO lost objectivity and brought him back at an absurd price out of fondness for the Glory Days and to try to excite a fan base that hasn't had much to be excited by, ignoring an easy-to-spot decline during his Pats year in the process. Belichick must get tired of having no competition whatsoever in this division. Yet again he gets the last laugh.

10 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Which square says "hold out for more money like a spoiled brat every other year"?

Yeah .... and where's this one that symbolized the 2nd half of his career?  

Image result for toast

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that damn guy, he was only the best player to ever play for this franchise and one of the best corners of all time.  Damn him for wanting to actually get paid what he was worth!

You should read before you comment. I said it was his right to get paid, but as a fan I don't have to like it.  

why is revis doing this?

1) he wants another pay day

2) he realizes his reputation took a hit the way his career ended, so he wants another crack to rewrite his legacy

3) he knows that bowles will lobby to bring him back 

4) the jets are getting a qb and might not suck that much longer anymore

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Perhaps you missed the last Couple of years of his play. The guy dogged it on 17 mill per.

He was never the same after the knee injury, before he was traded to the Buc's. 

We basically got 4 years of Stella play, and paid for 8. Not an all time great for me, his attitude and stealing money tainted him, he's 32 and out of football. He can't carry Charles or Ron Woodson's jock.

This!!!

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

this looks cool... that’s probably why he did it... also if he’s gonna announce his retirement then he pays homage to his journey while making it clear he’s a Jet first.

CDDDE3AB-377F-47DF-B5AD-C4D8E16E8304.png

My general impression is that it has been quite a few years since he out-worked anybody.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Even the few times in history where the Jets got it right and drafted and developed a HOF-calibre player... this is what he gets. I wonder why FAs are turning down more money from the Jets to play elsewhere??

BS, its has nothing to do with Jet fans. Its first about the Benjamins and secondly about the ability to win a SB.

I completely understand why he did what he did as a rational person. Guy was among the best to ever play the position for a time and got paid for it. 

As a fan of the team I don't love the effect it had and definitely dislike his lack of effort the second turn here. 

Archived