Why is Revis doing this?

prime21

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fine, but this is no longer a discussion really.  It's one guy trying to shame people for not sharing his view.  Not exactly productive, but whatever floats someone's boat I guess. 

Or, it's 30 people trying to bully one guy with a contrary opinion. It's hard for the majority to spin a victimhood case, but hey, welcome to the modern whiny world.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

that damn guy, he was only the best player to ever play for this franchise and one of the best corners of all time.  Damn him for wanting to actually get paid what he was worth!

THE best and no one comes close.  No Jet has ever played their position at a hi9gher level than Revis but Jet fans bash him and praise Brett favre.  It's why we don't deserve to win.

He was one of the best, not the best. I go back to the late sixties with team.

However I agree in principle with you, for Jets fans to forget everything he did because of a subpar 2016 is isn’t right.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

2009 is the only year he outplayed his contract and considering it was only the third year of a six year contract he had held out for, which he then immediately refused to honor, that does not dismiss any greed.  He was overpaid in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016.

I would love to hear who exactly were the 7 players who supposedly outearned him in those years, considering he was constantly among the Jets' very highest paid.  Although that statement of "from a salary perspective" is a very curious choice of words, and I would imagine this argument is dependent on ignoring the large sums of bonus money, which is absurd.

I'll do it from memory since I don't have time right now to look for the research.  Here are at least some of the names:

- Sanchez

- Brick

- Cromartie

- Mangold

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I didn't know that was the metric we used to determine whether we liked a player or not. Thanks for letting everyone know how they are supposed to feel about former players. 

I didnt ask whether you liked him or not or for a metric.  You said he did something to you, us as Jets fans.  What did he do is the question.  Didnt once say a word about how you should feel.  To me he did nothing bad to me as a fan or person.  

Thanks for taking a simple question about something you said and getting annoyed without an answer.  

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Even the few times in history where the Jets got it right and drafted and developed a HOF-calibre player... this is what he gets. I wonder why FAs are turning down more money from the Jets to play elsewhere??

Exactly right.  I don't like the shakedown tactics either, but in the day he could ball!  Most dominant player we've ever had in any position.  He should get paid, but spare the drama.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Or, it's 30 people trying to bully one guy with a contrary opinion. It's hard for the majority to spin a victimhood case, but hey, welcome to the modern whiny world.

You call everyone else "bullies", but somehow want to b*tch about the world being "whiny"? 

5 hours ago, jgb said:

No one is suggesting it's one factor. It's the aura of ineptness, media hysteria, and yes fan absurdity that all creates a zone of no go for anyone with options. Do you think it's a coincidence we haven't had anything but first time HC since Bill Parcells? Same for GMs for God-knows how long. Jets are not getting the A talent for lot of reasons, but ask yourself would you want your kid to play for the Jets if he was coming out of school? Hell no I would not. 

Agree on all counts except where you suggest talent wont come here because a percentage of fans have been critical of Revis.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Oh sweet irony.  Your entire argument is dependent on whining that people aren't nicer to the supposedly victimized multimillionaire.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let him show his face to be “honored” at MetLife and we’ll give him the same treatment we gave Firefraud and he’ll wish he never showed up. 

Lazy, selfish fakers saying they represent the team who only care about themselves.  We’re not the gullible fools they think we are, the Giants Stadium drunkards aren’t running the show anymore.  Ed found that out the hard way.  Looks like Darrelle is next.

SAR I

The NY Jets haven't won a damn thing in almost 50 years yet we applaud players like Kevin Mawae when they are inducted to the Ring of Honor. 

Why honor anyone with your attitude? You hate when they honor military, police,fire,rescue etc. 

Id say thats a bunch of phony fans in the seats especially booing Fireman Ed who got the crowd going, fan involvement hasn't been the same since he left. 

COME ON MAN YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS! 

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets haven't won a damn thing in almost 50 years yet we applaud players like Kevin Mawae when they are inducted to the Ring of Honor. 

Why honor anyone with your attitude? You hate when they honor military, police,fire,rescue etc. 

Id say thats a bunch of phony fans in the seats especially booing Fireman Ed who got the crowd going, fan involvement hasn't been the same since he left. 

COME ON MAN YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS! 

If the Jets want to honor players that gave 110% I'm all in, I'll stand and applaud guys like Nick Mangold, Ladanian Tomlinson, Mark Sancheaz, Braylon Edwards, Kevin Mawae, Wayne Chrebet, Al Toon, Mickey Shuler all day long, I'll literally stand there and clap until my hands bleed and I'll do it happily.

But frauds like Fireman Ed and Darrelle Revis?  Not in a million years.  Slackers.  Selfish.  Motivated by money and nothing else.  Pretending to bleed green when it can stuff their pockets, cut and run when the well runs dry.

The old blue collar types in Giants Stadium were too drunk to see the truth and these frauds like Ed and Revis didn't get the memo that they've been replaced by smart, sober fans who aren't fooled by their nonsense.  We ran Ed out of the stadium, it was a beautiful thing.  If ever there is a Darrelle Revis Night I'll be the one unfurling a banner from my front row Mezzanine seats telling it like it is and leading the boo's.

SAR I

The hold outs and such wee annoying, the dislike ramped up with the pathetic effort he gave his last year here.  Same reason I dump all over mowilk.

It is okay if you have just lost your skills but both of these guys loafed and gave no effort after being paid royally.

He did have the best single season I've ever seen a defensive player have though at his best.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You call everyone else "bullies", but somehow want to b*tch about the world being "whiny"? 

Clearly the line between literal and figurative has dissolved into meaninglessness. The true sign of a victimhood narrative. If I've offended you, here is my rote apology. Now can we move on to debating the merits of our respective opinions rather than bemoaning the existence of contrary opinions? Thank you.

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Agree on all counts except where you suggest talent wont come here because a percentage of fans have been critical of Revis.

You're taking me way too literally. But thank you.

11 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh sweet irony.  Your entire argument is dependent on whining that people aren't nicer to the supposedly victimized multimillionaire.

No, I'll state it more clearly for ease of digestion: My "argument" (more like an unpopular opinion, if those are still allowed here) is that it's disheartening that Jets fans apply strict purity tests to players who started their careers here, played the majority of their careers here, and generally did so at an elite level. We've had so little to be happy about as Jets fans. Why go looking for ways to get upset over things that worked out well for us?

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

The old blue collar types in Giants Stadium were too drunk to see the truth and these frauds like Ed and Revis didn't get the memo that they've been replaced by smart, sober fans who aren't fooled by their nonsense.  We ran Ed out of the stadium, it was a beautiful thing.  If ever there is a Darrelle Revis Night I'll be the one unfurling a banner from my front row Mezzanine seats telling it like it is and leading the boo's.

SAR I

Come on you rich guys bought into Ryan Fitzpatrick,Todd Bowles,Mike Maccagnan and rewards programs at least we had players like Revis who were NFL All-Pro superstars fun to watch best CB in the NFL for awhile not many of those in these parts as we speak. 

You ran Ed out and brought in who whats his name?  I don't think that worked out to well the best chant in NFL football is silenced. 

You will have to go to a game to unfurl a banner. 

COME ON SAR I MAN!!!!!!!!!

There is a chance that Revis could yet contribute to the future success of this franchise.

After all Idzik traded Revis to the Bucs in exchange for a pick he then spent on Sheldon whom Maccagnan later traded to the Seahawks in exchange for Kearse and their second round pick which Maccagnan later traded to the Colts to move up to pick 3 to evidently pick a quarterback in this year's draft.

6 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

There is a chance that Revis could yet contribute to the future success of this franchise.

After all Idzik traded Revis to the Bucs in exchange for a pick he then spent on Sheldon whom Maccagnan later traded to the Seahawks in exchange for Kearse and their second round pick which Maccagnan later traded to the Colts to move up to pick 3 to evidently pick a quarterback in this year's draft.

and the hip bone is connected to the... leg bone!

41 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I never criticize for making as much money as you can legally.  A lot of people are hypocrites 

Agree.......capitalism is the best!

Problem here however is showing up as the highest paid player on the team out of shape and unmotivated. He became a ........slouch.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Agree.......capitalism is the best!

Problem here however is showing up as the highest paid player on the team out of shape and unmotivated. He became a ........slouch.

Exactly.  Being all about the money leads to consequences.  When you already are paid handsomely to play a child's game, it's naturally going to be distasteful when players put money over everything. 

Granted, the NFL is also a dangerous game and already favors the owners.  But clearly fans compartmentalize all that, and care mostly about their team winning.  When one's desire for money does not intersect with wins, with said player being out of shape being evidence of this, and said player wins a Super Bowl with the team's most hated rival....you're going to make enemies.

People whining about the natural consequences of what Revis was doing are just pi$$ing into the wind. 

11 hours ago, jgb said:

No, I'll state it more clearly for ease of digestion: My "argument" (more like an unpopular opinion, if those are still allowed here) is that it's disheartening that Jets fans apply strict purity tests to players who started their careers here, played the majority of their careers here, and generally did so at an elite level. We've had so little to be happy about as Jets fans. Why go looking for ways to get upset over things that worked out well for us?

Why go looking for things to make people like a football player?  Some people like him, some don't.  You're not going to change peoples' minds, especially in the condescending nature in which you're going about trying to do it. 

On 4/12/2018 at 12:57 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

The dude outplayed his contract for quite a few years before he got greedy.  He never cracked the top 7 from a Jets salary perspective till Macc brought him back.  But he was certainly susceptible to hold outs, which we all hate.

Wait, what? 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why go looking for things to make people like a football player?  Some people like him, some don't.  You're not going to change peoples' minds, especially in the condescending nature in which you're going about trying to do it. 

So then that's a "no." G'day sir.

What I can't understand is the wide-eyed fanboi act here.

Revis was a good player, yes.  Given.  Not the GOAT (lol, no), but fine, if YOU want to think he was the GOAT, have at it.

He was also a mercenary whose constant holdouts hurt himself and hurt this team's chances.  

He was also just one CB, his great play (for the brief period it was great) was never great enough to really influence wins/losses.

He also vastly underperformed his later, larger, contracts, and hurt our team due to how much was invested in him.

He then made sure he got traded due to his constant difficulty and demands, and went on to win a Super Bowl with our MOST ******* HATED RIVAL.

He never, ever, had love for the Jets or jets fans.  He's spit on you and take a sh*t on your face if it meant another lucrative contract for him.  I don't fault a man for getting what he thinks is his......but nor do I need to blow him in fanboi awe after he does it to a point that hurts the franchise.

And he's certainly not posting this sh*tshow to honor or talk about the Jets, it's clearly a "look at me, I'm going to be in the Hall soon" self promotion/image repair service for his last few years of abysmal play.

I'll tell you this, the era of "Revis Island" was shorter than folks like to think, and the era of "Burnt Toast revis" alot longer.  All this "he's a lock first ballot" talk is premature.  The hall usually wants ten years of consistent greatness, Revis doesn't have that.

But even if he IS a HOF'er, good for him, because it's all about him.  Not us, not the Jets, not any legacy of his time here.  He won nothing, and hurt us as often as his play helped us.  

If you want to blow that guy,have at it, but I'm going to shove that grinning ****sticks Patriots Super Bowl picture right down your virtual throats every time you do.  THAT is his legacy, that ring, not what he did here.

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Glad to see you still managed to sneak some more of your emo victimization into this one.  It's quite the skill you have.  The entire basis of your "unpopular opinion" is telling everyone else why the negative opinion of others about a particular player isn't allowed.  Your entire argument quite literally contradicts itself, over and over and over again.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Philc1 said:

A lot of the hatred stems from Macagnan and Woody giving him a $100 million contract only to watch him become a dud

Revis had ONE bad year for us. he was very good in 2015, he wasn't Revis 2009/2010 but nobody has ever played the position as well as Revis 2009/2010.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, BurnleyJet said:

I don't hate him, I just don't like him. His lack of effort was got me. He may get in the Hall but he's not first ballot.

Give me a Wayne Chrebet, Victor Green, Joe Klecko, any day over a Revis.

The same wayne Chrebet that held the Jets hostage in 2002 knowing how popular he was w/ the fans and threatening to sign w/ the giants if he became a FA.  The money we gave Wayne at the end of his career could have gone to Coles but we'd lose coles in FA thanks to Wayne.

we all love Wayne but the guy wasn't half the player Revis was.  Wayne was a nice player, revis an all time great.

I wonder why you hate revis for playing for other teams but you were ok w/ Victor Green going to NE and Klecko going to Indy?

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, jgb said:

Fans don't get paid to root for teams. It's easy to "be loyal" to a team when there's no better offer out there. Can't blame Revis or any player for realizing that if you're gonna play for a loser you might as well get paid like a winner. Players should chase the money. Hell, I wish they all did. We'd have Kirk Cousins and Alshon Jeffrey.

Players have a short window to maximize their earnings, it sucks for fans sometimes but I don't blame any player for getting as much as they can. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, The Crusher said:

I’m not sure anyone begrudges Revis for making money. They may. Personally I would have like to give him even more money if the guy showed up in shape ready to play. That’s my only issue with him. Later in his career he was a slouch. 

The only season he wasn't in shape was his last season when he was hurt and rehabbing.  You act like it was an annual thing, it was one offseason and one bad year. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:36 AM, jgb said:

If Revis played for free we weren't winning a SB with the QBs we trotted out there. So no harm no foul, at worst.

Revis was the biggest reason why we had SB chances and we had enough talent, including at QB, to get to and win SBs in his peak years.  The guys around him just didn't get it done.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, FidelioJet said:

I just can't conisider anyone a Jet when, still in his prime (that's the key here), he won a superbowl with a division rival.

Again, he has every right to make the most money he can - but you give up something when you take his approach.

did he leave us via FA? No, he was TRADED away then when TB released him he contacted the Jets about wanting to return.  we had no interest and he went to a place he could win.  That is on us not him.

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

If the Jets want to honor players that gave 110% I'm all in, I'll stand and applaud guys like Nick Mangold, Ladanian Tomlinson, Mark Sancheaz, Braylon Edwards, Kevin Mawae, Wayne Chrebet, Al Toon, Mickey Shuler all day long, I'll literally stand there and clap until my hands bleed and I'll do it happily.

But frauds like Fireman Ed and Darrelle Revis?  Not in a million years.  Slackers.  Selfish.  Motivated by money and nothing else.  Pretending to bleed green when it can stuff their pockets, cut and run when the well runs dry.

SAR I

Ed was replaced by a guy in a spandex body suit and boxers.  

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

What I can't understand is the wide-eyed fanboi act here.

Revis was a good player, yes.  Given.  Not the GOAT (lol, no), but fine, if YOU want to think he was the GOAT, have at it.

He was also a mercenary whose constant holdouts hurt himself and hurt this team's chances.  

He was also just one CB, his great play (for the brief period it was great) was never great enough to really influence wins/losses.

He also vastly underperformed his later, larger, contracts, and hurt our team due to how much was invested in him.

He then made sure he got traded due to his constant difficulty and demands, and went on to win a Super Bowl with our MOST ******* HATED RIVAL.

He never, ever, had love for the Jets or jets fans.  He's spit on you and take a sh*t on your face if it meant another lucrative contract for him.  I don't fault a man for getting what he thinks is his......but nor do I need to blow him in fanboi awe after he does it to a point that hurts the franchise.

And he's certainly not posting this sh*tshow to honor or talk about the Jets, it's clearly a "look at me, I'm going to be in the Hall soon" self promotion/image repair service for his last few years of abysmal play.

I'll tell you this, the era of "Revis Island" was shorter than folks like to think, and the era of "Burnt Toast revis" alot longer.  All this "he's a lock first ballot" talk is premature.  The hall usually wants ten years of consistent greatness, Revis doesn't have that.

But even if he IS a HOF'er, good for him, because it's all about him.  Not us, not the Jets, not any legacy of his time here.  He won nothing, and hurt us as often as his play helped us.  

If you want to blow that guy,have at it, but I'm going to shove that grinning ****sticks Patriots Super Bowl picture right down your virtual throats every time you do.  THAT is his legacy, that ring, not what he did here.

please tell me about the holdouts affecting the team?  he held out twice I believe.  Once as a rookie when Kellen Clemens was our main starter at QB and once in 2010 where we came closer to the SB than at any point since we made it in 1968.

He was the biggest reason why we were close to SBs, he made things easy on those defenses and his teammates didn't show up to play in  either title game.

he never had love for the Jets or Jet fans yet after we TRADED him away and TB released him he contacted us about wanting to come back and we said no thanks then a year later after winning a SB and NE wanting him back he came here.

He is a HOFer, he's the best playter we have ever had in franchise history.  The revis Island era of greatness was longer than the Broadway Joe era of greatness. Maybe if revis only had to win one home playoff game(that the team didn't earn) to get to a SB he would have multiple SB apps by now.

He was the best player on 2 teams that made conf title games, it's not SBs(again we didn't have top win one home game we didn't earn to get there like 1968) but no other great Jets in history outside of that era had multiple chances at SBs.

Namath walked away from the Jets after SB III b/c Rozelle didn't want him around the mobsters.  obviously he came back but he did leave.

Gastineau quit on us in the middle of a season

Klecko went to play for div rival Indy

Harris and Ellis went to play for the Pats

Chrebet held the Jets hostage in 2002 negotiations which led to us not re-signing Coles

all players if they can still play will go play for another team when their team has dumped them.  He's the best player we have ever had, you don't have to bow down to him but can we at least show our greatest players some respect?  It amazes me how Brett favre gets more respect than revis and Favre sabotaged a real SB chance in his lone season here- a place he never wanted to play and couldn't wait to leave.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

did he leave us via FA? No, he was TRADED away then when TB released him he contacted the Jets about wanting to return.  we had no interest and he went to a place he could win.  That is on us not him.

I never blamed him, begrudge him money or desire to win a championship...just said he's not a "Jet"...doesn't belong in the ring of honor, number retired etc...

How, why or when means little to me other than that fact.

Archived