Would you swap places with Browns for #3 and 2019 first rounder?

jgb

Do you do the deal?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Browns offer #1 for our #3 and 2019 first rounder. What do you do?

I take it. Then Macc has zero excuses for whiffing and all the glory for hitting. If we stay at 3 the leaks begin 8 seconds after the pick that we really wanted the guy taken #1 (or #2) as a CYA.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I would swap our 2019 1st rounder with the giants if the browns do not take darnold.

I like the theory my concern of course is if the Browns don't want Darnold, they will be in business and someone will pay the price to move up. Hard to see Darnold making it to #2. 

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yes, of course.  We're hoping that the Browns or the Giants do something stupid.  It's the only way our move up to 3 looks good.

I don't get these posts. Why do the Browns/Giants have do something stupid for the trade to look good? You are assuming that there are only 2 elite QB prospects in this draft and that somehow YOU are the one that knows which 2 those are. 

You know it possible the Jets love 3 or even all 4 of the top QBs. If the draft goes Darnold/Rosen and we take Allen/Mayfield and that QB ends up being a franchise QB the trade won't look good because the Jets didn't get one of the 2 Qbs Teddey expertly ranked as the only 2 worth drafting?  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you answered yes to this, please see fit to throw yourself down some stairs.

Why?  If a few months back we could trade up to #1 at the cost of 3 second rounders and our 1st next year to get the exact QB we want we should do it.

In the end it all comes down to evaluation of the QBs.  I'll pay that price to get my #1 QB.

(Tossing in Jamal Adams or Darron Lee to get Darnold instead of Mayfiled/Allen?  You bet!)

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't get these posts. Why do the Browns/Giants have do something stupid for the trade to look good? You are assuming that there are only 2 elite QB prospects in this draft and that somehow YOU are the one that knows which 2 those are. 

You know it possible the Jets love 3 or even all 4 of the top QBs. If the draft goes Darnold/Rosen and we take Allen/Mayfield and that QB ends up being a franchise QB the trade won't look good because the Jets didn't get one of the 2 Qbs Teddey expertly ranked as the only 2 worth drafting?  

Because there are two QBs who are objectively better prospects.  Getting the third and it paying off is luck.  Process matters.

Just now, TeddEY said:

Because there are two QBs who are objectively better prospects.  Getting the third and it paying off is luck.  Process matters.

It's hard to make that claim stand up when the professionals can't seem to agree on which two prospects those are.  I happen to think that Rosen is better than Mayfield, but the gap between them isn't astronomical, especially when you consider their respective upsides and risks.

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There probably are only 1 or 2 QBs that will ultimately play to their first round draft position. But I hear what you're saying. It's so subjective are you that much more likely finding them at #1 than #3?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why?  If a few months back we could trade up to #1 at the cost of 3 second rounders and our 1st next year to get the exact QB we want we should do it.

In the end it all comes down to evaluation of the QBs.  I'll pay that price to get my #1 QB.

(Tossing in Jamal Adams or Darron Lee to get Darnold instead of Mayfiled/Allen?  You bet!)

The reason to do it would be so the Giants don't take the guy we want and we have to watch him for the next 15 years. Remember the Giants in 1981 taking LT the pick before us? Jets would have taken him. Also, it's to keep the Bills from getting in front of us and drafting the QB we wanted and watching him light us up for 15 years. 

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

It's hard to make that claim stand up when the professionals can't seem to agree on which two prospects those are.  I happen to think that Rosen is better than Mayfield, but the gap between them isn't astronomical, especially when you consider their respective upsides and risks.

Most of the "professionals" are entertainers.  The real professions all seem to agree, though you hear from them less.

The only reputable place to have Mayfield at the top is QBASE, and they even hedge on that.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No. My top two choices are Rosen and Mayfield, one of whom will be there at 3. I could understand making this move if you were obsessed with Darnold, though.

Pretty much where I'm at. Any one of these guys could turn out to be the best of the class, and any one of them could be the worst. Not worth next year's #1 when I think both Rosen and Mayfield could be there at #3. 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Most of the "professionals" are entertainers.  The real professions all seem to agree, though you hear from them less.

The only reputable place to have Mayfield at the top is QBASE, and they even hedge on that.

I'm not talking about the Kipers of the world.  I'm talking about the number of football people who have Allen at the top of their boards, or the guys apparently banging the table for Mayfield in Cleveland ... this seems to be a year where there's a relatively close cluster that reasonable people can evaluate in multiple ways, depending on which factors they see as most important.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Pretty much where I'm at. Any one of these guys could turn out to be the best of the class, and any one of them could be the worst. Not worth next year's #1 when I think both Rosen and Mayfield could be there at #3. 

I agree. Those seem to be the two most polished prospects. At this moment I would prefer Mayfield over Rosen simply because of injury concerns

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

There probably are only 1 or 2 QBs that will ultimately play to their first round draft position. But I hear what you're saying. It's so subjective are you that much more likely finding them at #1 than #3?

Exactly. This isn't a class with 3 Andrew Lucks, but it's a class with 4 legit high end QB prospects in the Goff/Wentz type molds where many think they will succeed but there are question marks. In that years draft it was smart for the Eagles to move up to 2 because after Goff/Wentz there was huge drop off. In this draft class, moving up to 3 guarantees us, AT WORST, one our choice of 2 of the top 4. Whether that choice is between Mayfield/Allen or Rosen/Allen or Darnold/Mayfield we are good shape. If the Giants/Browns decide to go with Barkley or Chubb then even better.

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which 2 are you talking about, because I am not sure everyone else agrees on those 2. Draft experts are split on the top 2 so it's just a little odd that you somehow managed to figure out the top 2 all on your own. I am going to assume your top 2 are Rosen/Darnold...which oh by the way, are my top 2, but there is a good chance our top 2 would have been Rosen/Darnold if Carson Wentz was in this class. 

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. This isn't a class with 3 Andrew Lucks, but it's a class with 4 legit high end QB prospects in the Goff/Wentz type molds where many think they will succeed but there are question marks. In that years draft it was smart for the Eagles to move up to 2 because after Goff/Wentz there was huge drop off. In this draft class, moving up to 3 guarantees us, AT WORST, one our choice of 2 of the top 4. Whether that choice is between Mayfield/Allen or Rosen/Allen or Darnold/Mayfield we are good shape. If the Giants/Browns decide to go with Barkley or Chubb then even better.

I’m with this guy, all 4 QB’s are good but JETS will get whover the best one is

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Which 2 are you talking about, because I am not sure everyone else agrees on those 2. Draft experts are split on the top 2 so it's just a little odd that you somehow managed to figure out the top 2 all on your own. I am going to assume your top 2 are Rosen/Darnold...which oh by the way, are my top 2, but there is a good chance our top 2 would have been Rosen/Darnold if Carson Wentz was in this class. 

Exactly. People who do the "third pick in a draft where there are two good prospects" seem to be missing that in many circles the consensus seems to be Darnold and Allen are the top two prospects -- not even counting the minority who love Mayfield.

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe.  But, it doesn't mean they will absolutely be the best players.  Allen could be the best QB in the draft.  But, if that ends up being the case, it's not because of brilliant scouting, it's because of brilliant luck.  Take the most likely to succeed, and be willing to let an outlier likely to bust slip by.  Thinking is bad.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you answered yes to this, please see fit to throw yourself down some stairs.

I agree..at this point in the process what is even the point in doing that? I like Rosen and Mayfield..one of those guys will be there at 3. 

Not handing over a 1st.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree..at this point in the process what is even the point in doing that? I like Rosen and Mayfield..one of those guys will be there at 3. 

Not handing over a 1st.

The point is if you like Darnold the most you get him.  I would gladly hand over our 1st to get Sam Darnold.  It all goes back to who each of us like at QB.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

No chance. 

The way I look at is, I'd be happy with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I don't have enough conviction in ranking those guys to give up an additional first rounder to ensure that I get my top guy. 

This.  I have my opinion that it's Darnold/Rosen in a 1a/1b scenario with Mayfield slightly behind but it literally might be a pubic hair length separating them all and Im not convinced on any of them that I'd sacrifice a 1st rounder on it.  Especially on the heels of giving up 3 2nd rounders. 

Archived