NYP: The Whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick

C Mart

2 hours ago, peebag said:

It's going to be Buffalo.  They didn't make all those trades and cuts not to get a qb.

I think if the Bills trade up, it will be to 4 and take Allen.  Just can't see Giants moving  back to 12.  Of course the bills could do a 2 bounce trade to 4 to 2.  Man that would be expensive though.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Imo, Gettleman’s record as a GM was marked by two things: drafting DL and unceremoniously cutting popular veterans. He’s here to transition away from Eli, which is why they needed a GM with some credibility to withstand any blowback. Lupica already has the revisionist poor-Eli-how-dare-they-worse-than-trading-Ewing hagiography typed up. As for drafting DL, he had a much different job drafting for a 26 year-old Cam Newton than he does with the Giants. 

Agree I think Giants get a qb at 2. If they trade down with the Bills they can still get Rudolph or Jackson

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Giants as a franchise never talk about rebuild. It's always just a couple players away.

Gettleman took a Stanford rb at 8 last year. This is not a stretch. They should take Barkley but they probably take chubb.

This qb at 1234 stuff has never happened and it won't happen this year

The fans of whoever gets Barkley will shut their fat pie holes the moment they see him break one.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Newton is still in the prime of his career.  Eli is 37 and got beat up last 2 years thanks to Ewreck Flowers

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think someone is going to trade up with the Giants for a QB and QBs will go 1-2-3

Logically, I don’t see how the Giants make a trade back if it isn’t for a top 5 pick.

That means they would be passing up a QB, Barkley, Chubb or Nelson for B replacement.

Makes zero sense.

14 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

But How bout when we pass on Sam and Rosie and pick Mayfield instead. 

Dude didn’t you know we can extrapolate Big  12 Stats to the NFL? Just ask Vince Young, RG3,Landry Jones, Sam Bradford Geno Smith and Bryce Petty

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Newton is still in the prime of his career.  Eli is 37 and got beat up last 2 years thanks to Ewreck Flowers

Eli is 3 years younger than Brady. His brother retired at 39 after winning a Super Bowl.

These guys don't think in terms of 5 year plans the average career length is 3 years and the entire roster churns over 

we all get greedy around draft time but Gale Sayers is in Canton. These guys will take 5 productive Barkley years if that's the "worst case"

or at least they should. Cause most of them don't keep the job for long unless they find special players. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine bringing in a new regime coming off a 3-13 season and their first move is to pass on a quarterback in deference to a 37 year-old dude in steep decline whom they’ll have to pay $17 million dollars to next year.

I do not disagree with that, but the Giants comments so far along with Gettleman's history suggest they stay where they are and pick Barkley or Chubb

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Agree I think Giants get a qb at 2. If they trade down with the Bills they can still get Rudolph or Jackson

This is ridiculous. Unless the Giants actually value either Rudolph or Jackson as franchise level QB's they are not going to throw away their pick so easily. This isn't a dart board -- any QB will do. These teams are literally investing millions and their future on these picks. The Bills would have to sell out the top half of their draft AND next year's first to move up... and the Giants would have to be perfectly fine with dropping out of the bid for an elite player. That's a heavy lift.

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I do not disagree with that, but the Giants comments so far along with Gettleman's history suggest they stay where they are and pick Barkley or Chubb

It’s a quibble, but it’s important to note that the only comments from actual Giants personnel is that you have to land a Hall of Famer at two, and that they like all the players. Everything else is draft scuttlebutt, much of it coming from Chris Canty’s throwaway comment that they prefer Darnold. 

• What the Giants do will represent the direction they are heading as a franchise.  Are they going for it with Eli or starting over.  If the latter, they should trade Eli.  I think they can trade down to 5 and still get a top non-QB, Iikely Chubb, and get more picks to rebuild their team. 
  • The Bills can get Rudolph or Jackson, maybe someone that drops.   The can rebuild their OL.  But Pegula has a Jets complex.  Maybe he bets the farm and trades up to pick in front of the Jets.

10 hours ago, varjet said:
  • What the Giants do will represent the direction they are heading as a franchise.  Are they going for it with Eli or starting over.  If the latter, they should trade Eli.  I think they can trade down to 5 and still get a top non-QB, Iikely Chubb, and get more picks to rebuild their team. 
  • The Bills can get Rudolph or Jackson, maybe someone that drops.   The can rebuild their OL.  But Pegula has a Jets complex.  Maybe he bets the farm and trades up to pick in front of the Jets.

I still won't believe it until I see it w/ regards to NYG not going QB but this regime so far has been awful so you never know.

if they don't select a QB I don't believe it means they are going for it w/ Eli, it would mean they don't love the QBs.  w/ Eli starting they will likely have more high picks to get the QB they want in the coming years especially if they can move down and stockpile future top choices they will have ammo to move up. I don't know what the projections are for the next couple of Qbs coming out but my guess is they may like more guys from those drafts.  Eli just had 2 HCs and a GM fired in less than 2 seasons, I can't believe Gettleman is that dumb to rely on Eli.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, T0mShane said:

How do all of the QBs lack the commensurate body of work, but Barkley’s relatively puny 1270 yards and Chubb—who isn’t exactly an athletic freak—puts up 10 sacks with 39 tackles and that’s better than what any of these QBs did? 

RB’s being picked in the top 5 is a rarity today. The value and longevity of that position in the NFL ‘s modern offensive pass first schemes doesn’t warrant it. We’ll see when Barkley goes. I think the only reason he may go in the top 5 is that the Brown’s have picks 1&4 and they traded Crowell so they may go RB at 4.

MMQB:

New York Giants, picking second (or trading) 

I can’t say with certainty, but I believe GM Dave Gettleman has looked at the five top quarterbacks in this draft and found flaws in each one. Now, he may love one quarterback, even if it’s not a perfect one, and if he’s there at two, who knows? But those who know Gettleman believe he would not use the second pick in a draft on a flawed player, particularly when he has a quarterback who is healthy and has won two Super Bowls—though Eli Manning has not played well in recent years—and a quarterback he never got to see last year (rookie Davis Webb)—because of stupid Giants’ decision-making in the last month of a lost season. Gettleman has to look at this draft and think about two players:

• Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, the best back to come into the league in years. Think of Philly defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, even with Star Wars weaponry all over his depth chart, trying to defend Barkley, wideouts Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard and rising-star tight end Evan Engram, with a solid left tackle (Nate Solder) suddenly making Manning less vulnerable to a great pass-rush. Beckham is 25, Shepard 24, Engram 23, Barkley 21. That is pretty tempting.

• North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb, a relentless edge rusher who could step in day one and be a good bookend for Olivier Vernon on the Giants’ front. There aren’t many college edge rushers who can play the run well and the pass superbly, but this stat from his college career says he can do just that: He exceeded 20 tackles for loss and 10 sacks in each of his last two college seasons.

I truly don’t know what the Giants will do, particularly if they’ve got a bright prospect like Darnold staring at them when their 10 minutes start April 26. But I don’t see Gettleman passing on two surer things over a quarterback he’s not at all sure about. I also would be surprised if Gettleman trades the pick with two franchise players on the board, but if the Bills offer three ones to come up, he’s going to have to think about it. I doubt he’d do it, because of what he said at the combine: “You’re drafting [at two] what you think is gonna be a Hall of Fame player. So you can’t get too cute about the whole thing.”

One final piece of intel: Gettleman was the Carolina GM for five drafts, between 2013 and ’17, and he never traded any of his five first-round picks. Only once did he trade one of his second-round picks, moving up 16 spots in the 2015 draft to snag wideout Devin Funchess. So there’s not much of a history there.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

MMQB:

New York Giants, picking second (or trading) 

I truly don’t know what the Giants will do, particularly if they’ve got a bright prospect like Darnold staring at them when their 10 minutes start April 26. But I don’t see Gettleman passing on two surer things over a quarterback he’s not at all sure about. I also would be surprised if Gettleman trades the pick with two franchise players on the board, but if the Bills offer three ones to come up, he’s going to have to think about it. I doubt he’d do it, because of what he said at the combine: “You’re drafting [at two] what you think is gonna be a Hall of Fame player. So you can’t get too cute about the whole thing.”

I think in the NFL the future is now.  You have a fading Eli on the roster with a big contract that cannot be easily exited.  With a proper support cast Eli can keep the Giants playing deep into January.  I think they have to draft either Barkley or Chubb.  If it was Oliver Luck, that could be a different story.  

They accomplish close to the same thing at 5 as at 2.  They should trade down.

That is what I would do if I were the Giants.  

The whole issue with the Giants is if they truly do not like any of the QBs in this draft.  I still think they will be fools to pass on pone at #2 especially if darnold is there.  How often do you find yourself in the top two without having to trade up and have a chance at a QB?  The jets have sucked and been looking for a Qb for YEARs and we have not managed to do so.

If the giants do not take a QB, two years from now, maybe one they will be looking for a new Qb and have to sell the farm to get one.

Chubb, I like him, really good player.  Barkley is massively overrated by almost everyone in my mind.

In the end I do hope they take Chubb or Barkley and do not trade down because that scenario benefits the jets the most.

Is it possible they like some of the QBs but may not be sure Davis Webb isn't potentially a starter.  Barkley would immediately transform their offense, even with Eli, or even with Webb.  Leaving aside what benefits the Jets the most, I actually don't think taking Barkley would be a mistake for them.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think in the NFL the future is now.  You have a fading Eli on the roster with a big contract that cannot be easily exited.  With a proper support cast Eli can keep the Giants playing deep into January.  I think they have to draft either Barkley or Chubb.  If it was Oliver Luck, that could be a different story.  

They accomplish close to the same thing at 5 as at 2.  They should trade down.

That is what I would do if I were the Giants.  

Edit 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:03 AM, Dcat said:

If Giants are true to the prediction that they are switching to 3-4, I doubt they want Chubb to play Edge defender standing up.  I think Chubb is much more of a 4-3 end with hand in dirt. 

Most of these guys coming out of college are and it always amazes me that teams think these guys can play OLB in the pros in a 3-4 defense.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, peebag said:

It's going to be Buffalo.  They didn't make all those trades and cuts not to get a qb.

Cimini had an interesting scenario of Buffalo trading with Denver to 5 then moving up to 2 so the Giants only fall to 5.  Giants aren't going lower than 5 because they can still get their guy there. Don't know if Buffalo has the draft capital to make such a double move.

15 minutes ago, SMC said:

Cimini had an interesting scenario of Buffalo trading with Denver to 5 then moving up to 2 so the Giants only fall to 5.  Giants aren't going lower than 5 because they can still get their guy there. Don't know if Buffalo has the draft capital to make such a double move.

So the Giants wouldn't be interested in the following?

Round 1: Pick No. 21

Round 1: Pick No. 22

Round 2: Pick No. 53

Round 2: Pick No. 56

Round 3: Pick No. 65

Round 3: Pick No. 96

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

RB’s being picked in the top 5 is a rarity today. The value and longevity of that position in the NFL ‘s modern offensive pass first schemes doesn’t warrant it. We’ll see when Barkley goes. I think the only reason he may go in the top 5 is that the Brown’s have picks 1&4 and they traded Crowell so they may go RB at 4.

It's actually happened two of the last three years.

Archived